Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

This is from an IGN article about the Halo delay
    Delaying Halo Infinite to 2021 was no doubt a very difficult choice for 343 Industries Studio Head Bonnie Ross, Xbox Game Studios boss Matt Booty, and Head of Xbox Phil Spencer, but it is absolutely the right one. It requires a whole lot of entrepreneurial courage to do what they just did, as I can’t think of another time in video game history where a console’s long-touted flagship launch game got delayed at the eleventh hour. .

The absolute state of games media, they are literally just PR for the major publishers. They didn't delay it because they were brave or courageous, they delayed it because it went down like a lead balloon in its first public showing due to mis-managment during its protracted 5-year development which saw it lose its creative director

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Am I allowed say that there were very few games that showed actual gameplay between the platform holders and that Halo infinite actually looked like.... Heaps of fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I hate that about these showcases - most of the footage they show is cut scenes. I just hate the whole promo thing for games years before actual release in general. It just doesn't excite me seeing news and the odd cut scene for a game that i can't play for another year, over time if anything it turns me off. They used to do this a lot more with movies, but it's not been so bad last couple years. Now you see a trailer, you know the movie is either done or almost ready for release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I hate that about these showcases - most of the footage they show is cut scenes. I just hate the whole promo thing for games years before actual release in general. It just doesn't excite me seeing news and the odd cut scene for a game that i can't play for another year, over time if anything it turns me off. They used to do this a lot more with movies, but it's not been so bad last couple years. Now you see a trailer, you know the movie is either done or almost ready for release.

The New Mutants has gone completely over the top with its trailer to the point where my passing interest in it has completely dissipated.

Cyberpunk's endless promotion has killed any real interest in playing. I'll pick it up cheap but there's no excitement on my end for the game's release.

Even though the game didn't live up to the hype, I think Fallout 4 is the absolute best way to reveal/release a game.

Was an open secret for years, was announced in June, released in November. Perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Markitron wrote: »
    Even though the game didn't live up to the hype, I think Fallout 4 is the absolute best way to reveal/release a game.

Was an open secret for years, was announced in June, released in November. Perfect.

Shame about the game itself, I was very disappointed when it was released

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Am I allowed say that there were very few games that showed actual gameplay between the platform holders and that Halo infinite actually looked like.... Heaps of fun?

I was looking at the wrong gameplay video then as it looked like a more boring version of Destiny. And I find Destiny painfully boring.

Shame about the game itself, I was very disappointed when it was released

I thought it was just fine I suppose, the technical updates were nice, but pretty much everything else was lacking compared to New Vegas.
    I was looking at the wrong gameplay video then as it looked like a more boring version of Destiny. And I find Destiny painfully boring.

To me it looked like the same old Halo I have played multiple times before, except with a grappling hook, which itself is quickly becoming a tedious and overused game mechanic. The fact that it looked so technically poor certainly didn't help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find Destiny painfully boring as well but to me it looked like a decent shooter rather than a boring loot'em up like Borderlands or Destiny. And the open world seemed to suit Halo's combat really well.

Graphically I thought it looked fine but if it's aiming for 60 FPS it won't look as good as the Sony games aiming for 30 FPS at 4K. Did see some graphical glitches in far away transparency effects but it looked like something they could fix before release and thought it showed that they were confident enough in the game to show it running in an uncontrolled environment was very encouraging that the project was in a good place.

Graphics can also improve massively in a few weeks before release. The PS3 release of GoW3 is a perfect example compared to previous gameplay showings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/1293532940308160512?s=19
    Will Control Ultimate Edition give me access to Control on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5?
    We will offer a free next-gen digital upgrade for those who buy Control Ultimate Edition on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. For more information on eligibility, stay tuned to our website and community channels.

What if I purchased the original version of Control previously?
    The free upgrade path to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 version of Control is only available for Control Ultimate Edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The New Mutants has gone completely over the top with its trailer to the point where my passing interest in it has completely dissipated.

Cyberpunk's endless promotion has killed any real interest in playing. I'll pick it up cheap but there's no excitement on my end for the game's release.

Cyberpunk is one I was thinking of for sure, was excited at first, then it dragged on, and on ... to the point I don't look at anything about the game now. I'll check it out upon release, see what the end reviews say and then think about whether my machine can run it :D

Cyberpunk is one I was thinking of for sure, was excited at first, then it dragged on, and on ... to the point I don't look at anything about the game now. I'll check it out upon release, see what the end reviews say and then think about whether my machine can run it :D

They announced that game in 2013, I think only the likes of Duke Nukem can beat that kinda dragging on.

Personally I'm not really paying attention to their marketing, between the developers previous games and the E3 gameplay from last year, I know its going to be good enough for a day 1 purchase (or day whatever-the-day-the-PS5-is-released).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Backwards compatibility looking like a must have feature for both consoles as there'll be no new games to play on them until next year :D

I know we're laughing, but TBH has there ever been a "good" launch?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I will fight anyone that says Mario 64, Shadows of the Empire and Pilotwings 64 wasn't a good launch.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Considering the hardware delays with the N64, to release that few games on launch is shocking.
    I didnt pick a N64 up until Goldeneye was released. Plenty of games to get through at that stage.

Two games was the norm back then. The SNES launched with two. The megadrive launched with two. The PS1 launched with few games, only Ridge Racer was worth playing (western launches were a bit more robust).

Plenty of great console launches. The N64 just needed Mario 64 as it was incredible. SNES had Super Mario World, and all time classic, and Pilotwings which was a great tech demo but also a great game in its own right.

The Western Dreamcast launch line up was legendary (the less said about the Japanese launch the better). The PSP had an incredible launch line up. The Wii was pretty decent as well with some real surprisingly good games like Raving Rabbids. The Vita started strong as well. Gamecube launch line up was excellent. And of course the XBox with Halo but also had a few great games that are now over looked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As an aside, interesting stats here on frame rate of titles across the Playstation launches:

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1293544030350061568?s=20

Considering the hardware delays with the N64, to release that few games on launch is shocking.
    I didnt pick a N64 up until Goldeneye was released. Plenty of games to get through at that stage.

It wasn't that bad in Ireland tbf. It launched in March with Mario 64, SotE, Waverace and Pilotwings. By the summer we also had Starfox, Blast Corps, ISS 64 and Mario Kart 64

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Mario 64 + Waverace + Pilotwings 64 = Deadly launch line-up

As an aside, interesting stats here on frame rate of titles across the Playstation launches:

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1293544030350061568?s=20

Nice list. We didn't realise how good we had it with the insane amount of eDRAM in the PS2 meaning 60 Hz was a very realistic target to hit. Per pixel it had far more eDRAM than the XBox 360 (480p vs. 720p).

If you look at the launch games you can see there's a bit of fudging as some of those games are puzzle games, fighting games (need to be 60 FPS), old school shoot'em up collections and arcade racers.
    It wasn't that bad in Ireland tbf. It launched in March with Mario 64, SotE, Waverace and Pilotwings. By the summer we also had Starfox, Blast Corps, ISS 64 and Mario Kart 64

Yeah but Shadows of the empire is such a piece of **** it negates all the good.

• Advertisement

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Mario 64 + Waverace + Pilotwings 64 = Deadly launch line-up

If you get one amazing game in a launch line up I would call it successful. Still remember the PS3 and PS4 and buying games just to have games and not liking anything (and they weren't even at launch, both a year after launch).

DS was kind of week as well but that picked up steam quickly to become the best console ever (fight me) and warioware was lots of fun.

If you get one amazing game in a launch line up I would call it successful. Still remember the PS3 and PS4 and buying games just to have games and not liking anything (and they weren't even at launch, both a year after launch).

DS was kind of week as well but that picked up steam quickly to become the best console ever (fight me) and warioware was lots of fun.

Ya, tbh the only reason I may buy a PS5 around launch is because my PS4 is dying at this stage. Lockdown has left me fiscally better off than ever. :pac:

Ya, tbh the only reason I may buy a PS5 around launch is because my PS4 is dying at this stage. Lockdown has left me fiscally better off than ever. :pac:

Cyberpunk and Demon's Souls would make it the best launch lineup since the N64 for me.

A cross gen multiplatform game and a remaster....

No matter the quality of those two games they don't scream next gen to me. They'll keep you entertained but I want to be wowed.

Saying that I think being wowed by launch titles is a thing of the past.

A cross gen multiplatform game and a remaster....

No matter the quality of those two games they don't scream next gen to me. They'll keep you entertained but I want to be wowed.

Saying that I think being wowed by launch titles is a thing of the past.

I'll be wowed if all my PS4 games load instantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wouldn't say Cyberpunk has shown much at all, we've seen some random bits and some initial details on the 3 starting origins.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah but Shadows of the empire is such a piece of **** it negates all the good.

But that Hoth level though....

Was incredible at the time, I replayed that one level so many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

CatInABox wrote: »
    But that Hoth level though....

Was incredible at the time, I replayed that one level so many times.

Was it cause you couldn't get past it like me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Compare that to We Happy Few, anounced in FEB 2015, and didn't launch until AUG 18, three and a half years later. By the time it launched it's genera was mostly winding down!

• Advertisement

Compare that to We Happy Few, anounced in FEB 2015, and didn't launch until AUG 18, three and a half years later. By the time it launched it's genera was mostly winding down!

Yea its ridiculous, especially for stuff like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement