Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Though these days they seem to reboot the Suicide Squad every few months.

Interested to see how it works. Will we be changing between characters when we want or will it be mission based.

I'm guessing we'll have Harley, Deadshot and Boomerang anyway.

Killer Croc for the "big bruiser who smashes everything/everyone" too. Is Katana a mainstay for the SuicSquad or just added for the film? Could see her being the "technical/stealth" style character.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Killer Croc for the "big bruiser who smashes everything/everyone" too. Is Katana a mainstay for the SuicSquad or just added for the film? Could see her being the "technical/stealth" style character.

There will be more characters added post launch but I imagine they will have a lot of the cast in the upcoming Suicide Squad movie which will be out around the same time as the game no doubt. I think they have Peacemaker, Bronze Tiger, Ratcatcher and King Shark in it...surely Deadshot, Harley Quinn and Deathstroke too.
    They will probably shove in a few even lesser known characters on behalf of DC too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They need someone to show that they can be killed, they could use a new Electrocutioner as a running gag.
    Killer Frost may be in as well.
    There are a lot of possibilities here.

I'm sure they won't announce everyone at once. The announcement will probably just be something like Waller narrating while walking past cells with names on them and maybe catching a glimpse of the inmates. And even that's hoping for too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I've no idea how reliable Imran Khan is (the video game journalist, as opposed to the former Pakistani cricketer/current Pakistani Prime Minister), but he's doubling down on his claim that Spider-man's exclusivity is only the tip of the iceberg.

t5u4d4t.png?2

Hopefully he's wide of the mark, because that shit is horrible.

Regarding Suicide Squad, the idea of taking on the Justice League is pretty cool. Totally unfamiliar with the comics though, and really don't want to watch the films. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If this is taking cues from the Arkham games, I'd like to see Suicide Squad lean towards Asylum. Was the most streamlined and focused of the lot, effectively functioning as a 3D Metroidvania before getting lost in an Open World and the tedium of Riddler collectables

• Advertisement

I'd be okay with either an Asylum or City. The problem with the additional batman games was they tended to end up feeling like expansions on City. Never felt like new games imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I've seen a few places mention Sony doubling down on "exclusive" content.

Its a rotten practice imo. I can see why they do it etc but it just leaves a bad taste.

In the case of Avengers at least they actually own spiderman rights so the fact he is in the game at all may be due to Sony only allowing it on the basis of him being exclusive.

Don't forget Sony have started a successful new spiderman franchise,lending the character out to a new game could be a risk.

In general im against the practice but this case has mitigating circumstances so isn't as bad as say Sony buying Activision out for extra DLC for CoD on the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sony don't own all the spiderman rights, the latest deal of which the only revealed terms were profit and funding sharing for the movies for the MCU inclusion. Before that they owned all TV rights, and film rights, but they sold the short length animated TV rights back to Disney. If it's animated and over 45 minutes then Sony own it.

Only terms either they or Disney have revealed were the funding/profit sharing, and no one knows more than that. They hasn't been a non Sony game with Spiderman in it since that deal was struck.

As far as games go I don't know if Disney care too much, not even trying with tie in games for movies. I can see Disney giving up that to help something they do care about.

Sony definitely have some arrangement with Spider-man games going forward. Hopefully they keep the Into the Spider-verse away from the MCU too.

I imagine those "exclusive" game deals are GTA V, maybe the next Kojima game & Silent Hill. The latter seems to have speculation around it linkef with Sony that it only makes sense they are heavily involved getting it off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Spider-Man was in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 which is a Switch exclusive, so I don't think they have the game rights

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Spider-Man was in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 which is a Switch exclusive, so I don't think they have the game rights

That came out before the Sony Disney deal

Spiderman hasn't appeared in any game since the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, owner of studios such as Rocksteady, NetherRealm, and TT Games, is seemingly no longer up for sale.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-09-at-and-t-looks-to-have-changed-its-mind-about-selling-its-gaming-studios

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Yoshinori Ono has left Capcom, there have been plenty of rumors lately that the development of Street Fighter 6 has been a disaster which among other issues led to his demotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Varik wrote: »
    That came out before the Sony Disney deal

Spiderman hasn't appeared in any game since the deal.

That game came out in July last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Schreier says Suicide Squad is a ways off, but we should get a glimpse of both that and the WB Montreal Batman game at DC FanDome.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1291781307996012544?s=20

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1291784475593052163?s=20

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, owner of studios such as Rocksteady, NetherRealm, and TT Games, is seemingly no longer up for sale.

Surely at the DC FanDome(awful name btw) we will get to see that Court of Owls Batman game.

CatInABox wrote: »
    That game came out in July last year.

And the Sony/disney deal was the following September.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've no problem with Sony doing exclusive dlc deals. Microsoft buy companies outright, at least Sony only have bits of games exclusive. Good time to be a Sony fanboy. And a sign of the times I reckon, what can Sony do if MS own a load of studios and as such are at the whim of MS allowing their games on PS?

Also, re: Sony and Activision, MS had month long exclusives with CoD long before Sony had, no one really cared back then, or put down the PS players as being but hurt. Funny when its the other way around its bad form, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

All fun and games until MS buy CDPR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    All fun and games until MS buy CDPR.

Don't even joke about that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

At least there'd still be some hope for a PC version. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah, how we’ll laugh about these naive times after Cyberpunk turns out to be a disappointment :p

Ah, how we’ll laugh about these naive times after Cyberpunk turns out to be a disappointment :p

In fairness, won't be as bad as that time people waited fifteen years for a Duke Nukem game.

Think CDPR is safe, their market cap has them at over €9b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭recyclops

It's pretty much a case now of needing to have an xbox (platform not console) for affordability and a ps for exclusivity.

Unless Sony get off their holes and actually look at the main xbox selling point.

If a lock heart released at around 300, parents will vote with their wallets at Christmas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I've no problem with Sony doing exclusive dlc deals. Microsoft buy companies outright, at least Sony only have bits of games exclusive.

Didn't Sony just recently buy a studio? Insomniac, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've no problem with Sony doing exclusive dlc deals. Microsoft buy companies outright, at least Sony only have bits of games exclusive. Good time to be a Sony fanboy. And a sign of the times I reckon, what can Sony do if MS own a load of studios and as such are at the whim of MS allowing their games on PS?

Also, re: Sony and Activision, MS had month long exclusives with CoD long before Sony had, no one really cared back then, or put down the PS players as being but hurt. Funny when its the other way around its bad form, etc.

No there were PS players butt hurt about it. It's just the PS3 was such a disaster back then that it was just another bad thing in a long list of disappointments. Once the PS3 got it's act together the exclusivity was just accepted by the PS fanbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Yea its kinda ****e that they are doing this, but I just don't think its that big a deal. It has been going on for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

CoD exclusivity back the was 4 weeks though wasnt it. Not the same as what the terms means now,usually a year or forever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement