Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bambi wrote: »
    Ballyers go "Werrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Warthog goes "BRRRRRRRRRRRR"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Looking forward to playing the new Microsoft Flight Simulator on my XB1 X when it's released.

Was a big flight sim fan back in the day. Started off with version 4.0, then moved onto 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004 and FSX.

5.1 was great as it was the first time I got scenery expansions for a flight sim. They were Caribbean, Hawaii, Japan, NewYork and Paris expansions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Will there be a Twin Towers expansion pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Bloody hell, just looked up the size of it. 150GB!

That's nothing, the full game files are meant to be around 2 Petabytes aka 2000 Terabytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I have 180Gb free on the install drive!
    Better be enough for the thing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Think we all agree that Epic planned for Apple and Google to remove Fortnite what with having the lawsuit ready and the 1984 video, but from the an update today they apparently only expected Apple to remove the infringing app and not Epic themselves. So Epic have had all dev accounts, tools and acceses revoked by apple, and not just limited to IOS but to MAC too. Which apparently means Unreal support on Apple products is affected too or at least it's ability to be supported in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just be aware when you first boot up Flight Simulator you have a 91 GB in-app download waiting for you - the actual initial download is tiny in comparison.

I’m not one to dismiss the technical wizardry involved in processing all that data, but it does seem like the sort of thing that pre-loading is made for :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭quokula

Is it not unlocked yet? I thought I'd start a download going overnight. I signed up for game pass (which I've never used before) and downloaded the app, went to the flight simulator page, and there's a subheader saying included with gamepass but no option to install yet. There is an option to purchase it though :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s available since 12am. You accessing it through the Xbox app? I’ve a grand total of 5.7 GB downloaded so will be leaving it overnight for sure.

Yeah using the xbox app. I've never used it before. Needed to find some AA batteries and brush the dust off my xbox one to find out what email address my gamertag was registered to :rolleyes:

But now I'm in the app on PC and I've signed up to game pass and can download other games, but not flight simulator. I'll try restarting and poking at it a bit.

• Advertisement

It’s a ****e app at the best of times so hopefully poking about sorts it out!

It’s a ****e app at the best of times so hopefully poking about sorts it out!

Yeah got it all working now. Flight Sim open and downloading the extra 90 gigs so hopefully that will be all good in the morning. Then I find out how barely-passing-min-spec PC will handle it.

Everything about this is reminding me why I stopped wasting my time with PC gaming. Various issues with the downloader last night, eventually got it downloading as I went to bed.

Check in this morning, and the PC is just sitting on the desktop with no Flight Simulator running. I fire it up, it takes a good 5 minutes to load before getting to the settings screen where I choose graphics level. It suggested medium (it's an i5 with a 1050TI) so I go with that without looking into detail. More lengthy loading before it eventually settles on an extremely broken looking scene with some scenery on the top half and black on the bottom half, and nothing I can do except for a prompt in the bottom left corner to press ESC to quit to desktop.

I do that, it closes the application, I run it again, and now it's telling me I need to download 60GB again. Started that 10 minutes ago and the download screen still just says "Please Wait" which is great.

Every few years I decide to try to do some PC gaming again as it couldn't possibly still be as **** as it used to be, but it always is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That's some farce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Microsoft makes an abysmal product. What's new?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

quokula wrote: »
    Everything about this is reminding me why I stopped wasting my time with PC gaming. Various issues with the downloader last night, eventually got it downloading as I went to bed.

Check in this morning, and the PC is just sitting on the desktop with no Flight Simulator running. I fire it up, it takes a good 5 minutes to load before getting to the settings screen where I choose graphics level. It suggested medium (it's an i5 with a 1050TI) so I go with that without looking into detail. More lengthy loading before it eventually settles on an extremely broken looking scene with some scenery on the top half and black on the bottom half, and nothing I can do except for a prompt in the bottom left corner to press ESC to quit to desktop.

I do that, it closes the application, I run it again, and now it's telling me I need to download 60GB again. Started that 10 minutes ago and the download screen still just says "Please Wait" which is great.

Every few years I decide to try to do some PC gaming again as it couldn't possibly still be as **** as it used to be, but it always is.

Exception rather than the norm. Haven't had any issues like that since probably windows vista.

Thankfully mine downloaded fine overnight, been flying over Dublin for the past hour. Immensely beautiful game - definitely the long-awaited next gen leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Apparently its hitting issues with demand
    https://kotaku.com/if-microsoft-flight-simulator-looks-frozen-after-you-st-1844759076

Really want to check it out but GPU is RMA right now, trying to get on overclockers case to give me an update.

I think I might just buy it than GP it, I really hate that store lol. I'm sure by the time I can check it out the peak excitement will have abated a bit and server demand will be better

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Exception rather than the norm. Haven't had any issues like that since probably windows vista.

Last time I tried some gaming on PC it was FFVII about a year ago (old game obviously), wanted to play it before the remake and wanted to try the translation mod. When I tried to run it there were graphical issues all over the place and no sound. And that was a direct steam install before even trying the mod patches, which didn't work at all. Ended up playing the PSN version instead, which worked flawlessly as you would expect.

Every few years I come back to PC for some game or other, Planet Coaster was the previous one and it had various issues too, between regular crashes and horrendous performance on hardware that was comfortably above the recommended specs. I tried on different machines to rule out hardware / driver issues or whatever but it's always the same.

I'm a software engineer, I know how to troubleshoot and investigate things, but I also do enough of that in my day job to have zero tolerance for it when I pay for a consumer product. Console games always just work as intended without all the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, they don't just work, you said it yourself, you had to buy the PSN version. PS1/2/3 discs will not work on PS4, and there is absolutely no (legit) way to make them work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

As a software engineer you understand that it's the individual publisher's faults for the sate of some releases and not some inherent flaw with... computers? 90% of the stuff I play is click and play with no issues and I'm not even on windows. I remember trying to play FFVIII on steam I got as a gift. It required a facebook account as DRM and the music was worse than the PS1 version. That's Square Enix fault, not an issue with Valve, the hardware or software stacks. Lots publishers often favor consoles and release zero effort trash PC versions. My response is to simply not buy from them, not switch over to console (which only compounds their interest to favor console) where I might've had to live with the unremovable motion blur they put in DMC4:SE.

I think a lot changed recently, we aren't getting the crap PC ports we used to get 10+ ago - probably consoles moving to x86 CPUs and more standard PC-like architecture and APIs helped a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Are any of the flight sim problems possibly due to SSD requirements?

I guess I don't know much about it but I thought maybe we're getting to that point where the mechanical platter drives are going to be out of spec soon, especially once the new consoles arrive.

PC is such an open and fragmented platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

My response is to simply not buy from them, not switch over to console (which only compounds their interest to favor console) where I might've had to live with the unremovable motion blur they put in DMC4:SE.

I thought you wouldn't switch over to consoles because Sony were a bunch of virtue signalling bum boys who were going to go broke going woke. Or something...

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

quokula wrote: »

I suspect part of the issue is the downloader get hammered due to demand.
    I suspect performance wise with the loading that's down to your PC. You said it was barely above minimum spec. If your on a mechanically hard drive the slow load times would not be a surprise.

Games at release can be problematic even on console (Master Chief Collection for example), not wanting to give Microsoft a free pass here but Flight Simulator looks like a massive leap from a technology point of view so I don't think its fair to be complaining about load times at the moment. X-Plane 11 for example can have quite long load times as well and from a graphical perspective is not as advanced as Flight Simulator.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Incidentally if it helps anyone trying to run Flight Simulator both AMD and Nvidia have new GPU drivers that support it.

AMD
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-adrenalin-edition-20-8-2-driver-download.html
    Nvidia
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-452-06-whql-driver-download.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

“The signatory said the dismissive attitude towards women had in the past carried over into the company’s output. “Rocksteady doesn’t have the best reputation for representing women,” she said, citing the highly sexualised design and costuming of characters such as Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn in previous games. “Sometimes you could see the surprise on their face when you said that’s not how women dress.”

So, they were guilty of representing the characters as they should be according to the comics. Cool. Next, transgender black inclusive Batman.

Cordell wrote: »
    So, they were guilty of representing the characters as they should be according to the comics. Cool. Next, transgender black inclusive Batman.

I actually agree with them on the issue. Overly sexualised outfits are generally a bit cringey tbh. Also the overarching issue in the complaints is a failure to do anything about sexual harassment complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

By the standards of the comics - insofar as you can find a median across 80+ years of batman - the Rocksteady designs were still blatantly trashy T&A heavy. Wouldn't necessarily draw line between horny art design and a toxic work environment mind you, but I could also see how it might feed into an overall feel of the place too. Not like game studios as glorified frat houses is a new discovery but it's always disappointing when it appears with a studio you admired.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement