Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭solidasarock

FF7R looks neat. But I am in the exact target audience of person who loved the original in the 90's.

Avengers just isnt grabbing me. I hear they lifted a lot of ideas from Destiny and normally that is a terrible sign. Also the faces for all the Avengers look weird. Like they went for a not entirely photo real look you would see in Uncharted or halo but didnt quite do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What's peoples opinion on Square Enix and these two games, FF and Avengers? Like how big a deal will these games be?

Much like solidasarock, as I'm in the same target market. FF7 is one of my all time favourite games, and while you can debate there being better FF games (or JRPG) that one does hold particularly special memories for me, and is probably the first game with a story line that really captured me.

Avengers, well. I guess I'm kinda hopeful it'll be a fun game, it would be great to have a good game based on the Marvel Universe now that Spider-Man was able to prove it can be done well. Not even close to a day 1 buy for me, I'll wait until it's on sale around Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Cyberpunk has been delayed until September

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'll get FF7R when I'm old and dead and they've released all the parts in a bundle for €20.

Cyberpunk has been delayed until September

Honestly not surprised by this at all. Looks to be a massive game so the odds of hitting the original release window are slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kotaku's Jason Schrier reporting that Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1217884242857877505?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Playstation finally throwing some crumbs to those poor PC peasants. Bite!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd love to play it, as everyone seems to rave about it. Hopefully it's true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd love to play it, as everyone seems to rave about it. Hopefully it's true.

As someone among ‘everyone’, I definitely wouldn’t rave about it :)

It’s an above average open world game with good combat. Admittedly I played what I played of it shortly after Breath of the Wild - given I still can’t play typical open world games for very long several years later, the ‘grand but fairly bland’ Horizon was particularly soured by being in such close proximity to a genre-breaking masterpiece :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Don't mind him!

It's a brilliant open world game that takes the best parts of many games, fine tunes them and trims the fat of most open world activities.

Engaging plot, amazing music, beautiful world and extremely satisfying combat against the mechs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,285 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Horizon is a fantastic game, one of the best i've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

As someone among ‘everyone’, I definitely wouldn’t rave about it :)

It’s an above average open world game with good combat. Admittedly I played what I played of it shortly after Breath of the Wild - given I still can’t play typical open world games for very long several years later, the ‘grand but fairly bland’ Horizon was particularly soured by being in such close proximity to a genre-breaking masterpiece :)

I did it the other way around. I loved Zero Dawn, then BOTW was just an empty wasteland in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

J. Marston wrote: »
    Don't mind him!

It's a brilliant open world game that takes the best parts of many games, fine tunes them and trims the fat of most open world activities.

Engaging plot, amazing music, beautiful world and extremely satisfying combat against the mechs.

Completely agree. Yes it's another "open world game", but it never felt like it fills the map with busywork, needless collectibles etc. The typical open-world padding it has, it has just enough of without it being there just to fill gaps in the map. The collectibles have surprising depth and story behind them. And the world they created is such a joy to spend time in.

The only real negative is some of the human enemy camps become a bit "Whistle, stealth kill, repeat", but again, it's not like some Ubisoft games where you have to take enemy camps down to unlock parts of the map and such.

It's a fantastic game and one I really wish I had time to replay from scratch (it and God of War). Hopefully in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Penn wrote: »
    It's a fantastic game and one I really wish I had time to replay from scratch (it and God of War). Hopefully in the summer.

have you tried AC: Odyssey?
    I have tried to get into the AC games before but they haven't grabbed me at all but I'm actually enjoying the latest one as it has more of an RPG feel which a lot of AC purists are moaning about

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm in the Horizon is bland but grand camp. Typical Ubisoft open world fare with above average combat. Story is awful though and not helped by some awful dialogue which comes across as a high school student trying to rip off Joss Wheaton, badly.

If you can stomach the Ubisoft formula games it's one of the better ones. But it's not the masterpiece people make it out to be. It's not breath of the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People are drawing too much from Horizon leaving PS now in April for a possible release, there a small changing group of newish AAA games that are added and removed since the last October that only stay on for a few months. The engine is Guerrilla's Decima which is already getting used on PC for the Death stranding release, a lot of the work was already do so.

Would just think that everything aligned this time and it doesn't mean anything certain for the future.

Skerries wrote: »
    have you tried AC: Odyssey?
    I have tried to get into the AC games before but they haven't grabbed me at all but I'm actually enjoying the latest one as it has more of an RPG feel which a lot of AC purists are moaning about

Oh yeah, I loved Odyssey, and even though it has a huge map with a lot of busywork and padding, the RPG elements of it help counterbalance that somewhat. HZD felt a lot more focused in that regard though, filling out the map without drowning it icons, greater variety in enemy types to make combat and areas more challenging etc.

Odyssey is a great game, and one that brought me back into the AC franchise which I'd lost a lot of love for. HZD is a different beast altogether though, where story, combat, environment and gameplay just all gelled so perfectly together for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    People are drawing too much from Horizon leaving PS now in April for a possible release, there a small changing group of newish AAA games that are added and removed since the last October that only stay on for a few months. The engine is Guerrilla's Decima which is already getting used on PC for the Death stranding release, a lot of the work was already do so.

Would just think that everything aligned this time and it doesn't mean anything certain for the future.

Kind of makes sense though from a Sony perspective. With Death Stranding the latest build of the engine can be used for a PC release. It will generate a decent bit of revenue on a game that has a game of the year edition being sold for peanuts on PS4.

Also I think it's been pretty much confirmed that Guerilla are working on a PS5 launch window title. would drum up a bit of hype for Horizon 2 which they are almost certainly working on.

• Administrators Posts: 53,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How does Horizon Zero Dawn compare to AC: Origins / Odyssey for example?

awec wrote: »
    How does Horizon Zero Dawn compare to AC: Origins / Odyssey for example?

HZD is more focused, with a smaller map (but still huge), less busywork/collectibles/enemy forts, more linear (and better) story, fewer RPG elements, but better combat against a greater variety of enemies. Graphics are better in HZD too.

I enjoyed AC Odyssey, but HZD beats it in almost every regard imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Kind of makes sense though from a Sony perspective. With Death Stranding the latest build of the engine can be used for a PC release. It will generate a decent bit of revenue on a game that has a game of the year edition being sold for peanuts on PS4.

Also I think it's been pretty much confirmed that Guerilla are working on a PS5 launch window title. would drum up a bit of hype for Horizon 2 which they are almost certainly working on.

Not sure how much sense it makes, as with the year exclusives people are starting to be fine with just waiting. Going forward whatever additional sales they make, there will bound to be people who no longer have a reason to stick with their platform for other games so Sony loses out on their cut there. I've no reason to buy the next Xbox now as I can play on PC, while MS might get the same directly from their own published games they'd lose out on any 3rd party games.

Also the question of if this is real what store on PC will it come too, Sony usually on the side taking the 30% cut would they be willing to had that over to Valve.

Considering this started out with licensing their engine to Kojima could it mean even if some/most games still remain PS exclusive then would listening their engines to a greater extent become a thing. Plenty of money there

There's also the stuff like gaming becoming more and more likely (inevitably I'd say) to end up as a subscription service that Sony are probably better off getting more visibility for their games. They must be looking enviously at the success of gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I'll get FF7R when I'm old and dead and they've released all the parts in a bundle for €20.

This. The original is my personal favourite game, and I think the remake looks phenomenal, so I really don't want to play a version of it that stops at Midgar as I cannot even imagine how frustrating I would find that. I'll hang tight for the inevitable pack in a few years time that has all 3 episodes for 60 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm in the Horizon is bland but grand camp. Typical Ubisoft open world fare with above average combat. Story is awful though and not helped by some awful dialogue which comes across as a high school student trying to rip off Joss Wheaton, badly.

If you can stomach the Ubisoft formula games it's one of the better ones. But it's not the masterpiece people make it out to be. It's not breath of the wild.

I rarely ever see a positive post from you.

I totally get that’s your opinion, which is fine, but it comes across as though you’re some master reviewer that blanket criticises 99% of games as though what you’re saying is fact and not just an opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I totally get that’s your opinion, which is fine, but it comes across as though you’re some master reviewer that blanket criticises 99% of games as though what you’re saying is fact and not just an opinion.

You obviously haven't read his posts about Ace Combat 7. :pac:

It obviously isn't fine. I like lots of games, lots more than I hate. And I talk about them a lot. I just don't tend to get caught up in the hype like most people and also generally bored by the Ubisoft type game that many popular games seem to follow so will give out about them. Anyway never said Horizon was bad per se just it has issues. It's grand, just not the standout people make it out to be. It's no Ace Combat 7.

You obviously haven't read his posts about Ace Combat 7. :pac:

500321.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,560 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ANOTHER DELAY!!!!

Iron Man VR pushed out to May.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    ANOTHER DELAY!!!!

Iron Man VR pushed out to May.

This was honestly one of the games that made me think about getting Playstation VR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Was about to say I hope Doom doesnt get pushed back too.....but then remembered this already IS its pushed back launch date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement