Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ERG89 wrote: »
    Surely this would have came up a few years ago & not 3 months out from release that it runs like sh*t on a console/s. They can't be that unorganised surely.

During development it would be unoptimized and running poorly anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

Is it just the base Xbox that's the issue? Would it run on a PS4? Presumably there isn't as much of an issue with the Pro and the OneX...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Is it just the base Xbox that's the issue? Would it run on a PS4? Presumably there isn't as much of an issue with the Pro and the OneX...

The original Xbox One was always that bit behind the original PS4. Nearly all multiplatform games at the time had higher resolution or framerate on PS4, so yeah I'd say the original Xbox One could be the bottleneck for sure, as it'd be the minimum spec one.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Tbf the xbox one has a better CPU than PS4 so it's hard to really know what's going on here.

I do feel though based off the tech demo stuff on tradeshows that it's asking a hell of a lot from these machines

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Lotta armchair software experts talking a lotta guff on this thread :D Optimisation is one of the last tasks you do on these sorts of things and the reasons for that should be self evident, but just in case... Say you optimise how the game loads the city and then suddenly a change in direction means that the city's landscape changes, then you have to go through the optimisation process again and you've wasted a ton of time and effort. Optimisation ranges from slight tweaks to the order in which things on the screen are rendered to a potential complete rewrite of chunks of the game engine to allow for a previously unplanned layer of UI or gameplay to be added.

Feature creep and higher quality art assets are potential pitfalls for compatibility with lower-end hardware. It seems like this was always going to be a big ask for anyone on basic model Xbox and PS4. I think it might end up being a bit like GTA V was - I had the 360 version and the PC version and my gods, the 360 version was piss poor in comparison, but I was impressed that it ran at all. if it wasn't going to cost million in lost revenue, I'm sure CDPR would probably love to dump support for the old hardware cause you can be sure they're already working on the ports for the new gen consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Varik wrote: »
    During development it would be unoptimized and running poorly anyway.

But surely they had to know that the game you are working on was going to cause big problems putting it on 7 year old systems. You'd know it even by just looking at the gameplay they released that it was never going to run too well on modern hardware, even Witcher 3 had it's issues & that was released 5 years ago. I remember them first showing it a few years ago & I figured they would aim for an early release on PS5/Xbox X as it felt like a trailer that was beyond the modern gen capabilities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They'd lose so much profit by doing that since most people are not going to make the switch to next gen right away.

I have faith that CDPR will deliver a game nothing short of amazing. Witcher 3 ran surprisingly well when I first played it. Granted, I played it about a year later when all patches had been dropped... They just need more time.

Going by last gen the launch window is going to be complete and utter ****e for a long time so if CD Projekt can get their game on there early and be the must own game for the system they can sell at an insane attach rate and still be a massive seller on a launch system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Man, if they announce that it will be a launch title for the PS5, then I will 100% be getting the PS5 on launch. I'm really hoping they have a strong launch library anyway, as it's usually terrible, but having Cyberpunk as a launch title would give it that extra push people are waiting for if they're undecided, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It is a next gen game. They are now trying to get it up to quality for current gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,693 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I would definitely hold out if it was confirmed to launch on the ps5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I would definitely hold out if it was confirmed to launch on the ps5.

It's a given considering the tech on display in the PC version.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,693 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a given considering the tech on display in the PC version.

Ah they might pull a snakey though and set release for 2021, get those delicious double sales. Will be interesting to see how that's handled.

It worked out really well for Rockstar, I can't imagine they'd be too interested in leaving any potential sales on the table, so that's almost certainly why they're keeping quiet about the next gen releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Shiminay wrote: »
    It worked out really well for Rockstar, I can't imagine they'd be too interested in leaving any potential sales on the table, so that's almost certainly why they're keeping quiet about the next gen releases.

Rockstar knew what they were doing tho. Despite the timing being the same (at the end of one generation & months before the next one) they planned it out the right way. GTA V was made first on PS3/360, then they did a next gen version a year later & the PC release came nearly 2 years after it was first released. That's an upward trajectory in what they are working with. They did the same with Red Dead 2, consoles first & then PC after they have actually shipped it.
    They didn't say let's make a game first, then kneecap it to run on consoles that were never, ever going run it correctly in the first place & hope it comes together by luck more than judgement. The PS4 & One struggled with parts of the Witcher 3 back in 2015 so it's no revelation in 2020 that it would struggle to run a more ambitious game smoothly.
    There is optimisation & settings but there also basic common sense that you have to work with what your given. They should have said nothing about it coming to PS4 or One & just released it on PC with the plan for a next gen release. The market is smaller but at least it's not going to lead to problems of your own making. Even the multiplayer not coming for years after release I wonder why they don't just push that to the inevitable sequel as it wasn't even a feature people had been asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

ERG89 wrote: »
    Even the multiplayer not coming for years after release I wonder why they don't just push that to the inevitable sequel as it wasn't even a feature people had been asking for.
    Probably because they want something out in between the initial release of Cyberpunk and their next release which, judging by their mainline release schedule to date, will be at least another four years.

Big difference between GTA V's PS3/360 & PS4/One release is that these new consoles are backwards compatible, the One didn't get that until long after the rerelease of GTAV. Harder sell a game that they can already play to an extent on their new console, last gen didn't have that option.

Can see a GOTY with all the DLC releasing for next gen version, timed with a big PS5/X upgrade patch. Personally think most cross gen games will be cross buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0124/1110562-eimear-noone/

Eímear Noone, Galway conductor and composer and all around musical genius, is going to be the conductor at the Oscars which is huge.

She's the conductor behind Video Games Live, has credits on every single Blizzard game and was the driving force behind the iDig festival here in Ireland.

I met her at one of those iDig events, she's a huge nerd :D She had managed to bring some of the original manuscripts for her work on one or other of the Warcraft games and had to kindly, but firmly, remind people that taking pictures of it constituted copyright theft and would get her in some serious hot water with the bosses if they started appearing on social media:) Delighted for her, she's a really hard worker and definitely on the top of her game.

Always found copyrights with sheet music extremely archaic. In a lot of other areas it's extremely broad or flimsy with the changing times, but for that since it's the same it's very strict. Only exceeded by the nonsense of architectural copyright, and it being infringement to take pictures in some countries of buildings (France in particular).

Some game rumours that she also may have worked on, new rumours for more Bioware star wars.

They don't know the numbers but a lot of places declaring that with the Switch hitting 52.48m sold it's probably now passed Xbox one.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    They don't know the numbers but a lot of places declaring that with the Switch hitting 52.48m sold it's probably now passed Xbox one.

It's also outsold the SNES. It's also kind of telling that Microsoft won't release concrete sales figures.

Well deserved. It's an absolutely cracking console and has a far better line up of exclusives than the PS4. If only they'd fix the joycon issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Not sure if it's been covered, but has anybody heard of the stories about the supposed AC Ragnarok?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bgr.com/2020/01/12/assassins-creed-ragnarok-release-date-leak-ps5-xbox-series-x/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

DS86DS wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been covered, but has anybody heard of the stories about the supposed AC Ragnarok?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bgr.com/2020/01/12/assassins-creed-ragnarok-release-date-leak-ps5-xbox-series-x/amp/

There have been supposed leaks going around for a while so take it with a grain of salt, especially if it comes from 4chan. There more than likely will be a new AC game for the next gen release but we probably won't get a reveal until E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There have been supposed leaks going around for a while so take it with a grain of salt, especially if it comes from 4chan. There more than likely will be a new AC game for the next gen release but we probably won't get a reveal until E3.

It always leaks around this time of year though, let's be real! :D
    Though I don't trust any of this Ragnorock stuff, it's around the correct time for a leak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This might be interesting;
    Wizards Of The Coast's new studio is making a sci-fi RPG with ex-BioWare devs

Last year, D&D & Magic The Gathering publishers Wizards Of The Coast hired James Ohlen to head up a new studio. He was the creative director/lead designer on Dragon Age: Origins and Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic, so naturally I am tracking his movements. We now know a teensy bit more about Archetype Entertainment’s debut project, which will be set in an “all-new science fiction universe that will send players on a story-driven epic where choices they make will have real consequences on how their story unfolds”.

Those are big, familiar words, but that’s also a big name to back them up. Wizards have nabbed BioWare Austin studio director Chad Robertson, too.

Source - RPS

marcbrophy wrote: »
    It always leaks around this time of year though, let's be real! :D
    Though I don't trust any of this Ragnorock stuff, it's around the correct time for a leak :)

yeah, sure i remember Odyssey being leaked via a key chain just before E3 2018. It would be interesting if the next AC game actually turns out to be set in Japan (which plenty of people have been hoping for) and not during Viking times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Elden Ring is supposed to be featuring at the Taipei Game Show next week. Hopefully it will be something new and not just a redub of the E3 trailer.

Elden Ring is supposed to be featuring at the Taipei Game Show next week. Hopefully it will be something new and not just a redub of the E3 trailer.

Taipei Game show has been postponed til Summer as a result of Coronavirus outbreak

Taipei Game show has been postponed til Summer as a result of Coronavirus outbreak

FFS, I think the coronavirus pales in importance compared to a new From Software game!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement