Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[CoD Black Ops 2] News and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Not much good for me being master prestige

Do what I do,reset stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Is there any quick way of reloading the launchers? Fast mags is grand for the others, but been trying for the triple kill for ages now on the RPG and after firing and hurting the enemy it takes forever to relaod and usually one has run off at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Nuketown is free to everyone now, is it in rotation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Yep (it was at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

I've only seen it in chaos moshpit so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

DaveSuarez wrote: »

I've only seen it in chaos moshpit so far.
    That on Xbox or PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

That on Xbox or PS3?

On Xbox, it's only appeared on the chaos mosh pit map rotation for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

They didnt do a very good job of announcing that its available for all to download it, I only copped it on a random tweet. I dont think it made the front end news page you get when you log in at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

any good zombie players about? sick and tired of noobs shooting the gollums and not adding parts to the trampoline and stuff :(

MarkLogan-91

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

MarkY91 wrote: »
    any good zombie players about? sick and tired of noobs shooting the gollums and not adding parts to the trampoline and stuff :(

MarkLogan-91

Do you have a mic? What DLC Do you have? Are you not a squeak?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What's a squeak?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

What's a squeak?

A term referring to prepubescent kids, most especially those playing online games. These types of kids generally talk or complain constantly with their prepubescent high pitched voices causing annoyance to the mature players. Be warned, as calling these kids a squeaker will generally cause them to literally start squeaking.
    (High Pitched Squeaker Voice): STOP KILLING ME. YOU'RE NOT BEING FAIR. STOP KILLING ME BEFORE I GET A CHANCE TO KILL YOU. STOP. STOP. STOP. STOP. STOP...

(Mature Voice): Damn kid. Shut up and stop squeaking.

(High Pitched Squeaker Voice): SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

CORaven wrote: »
    Do you have a mic? What DLC Do you have? Are you not a squeak?

ive a mic. ive revolution(die rise is the only map i like) im 22 so im not a squeek lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Cool, I will add you later in the week when we have a few on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

zombies is annoying on this, trying to find a game where some idiot doesnt quit. or waiting on people to ready up and when ya do get a game its 12 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Firing Range is back, in the form of a movie set, in the next DLC.

New patch out today,brings Nuketown into normal playlists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Kells... wrote: »

Don't suppose that includes zombies ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Kells... wrote: »

About ****ing time

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

Clay Pidgeon Shooting Playlist coming soon...

• Advertisement

Not going to be that soon going by the performances from the pigeons last night!

It can be a new playlist "clay pidgeons and attempted clay pidgeons who got stuck in the window"...see very catchy title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I got a message when I was playing last night that said it was a double xp on firday on PC . I would assume that is for everybody .

Probably the most indepth lag video:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

Seridisand wrote: »
    Probably the most in-depth lag video:

Something’s are right, but mostly not very well explained, and lots of things wrong too. And some things were never explained, like off line lag. Just the devs making excuses for their shi**y net code, and finding the most inept twats on YouTube to spout their nonsense. 3arc's devs decided to talk to a guy who thought buffer bloat was at fault for the lag without ever investigating it first. I wrote to Driftor and explained what utter crap his video on that was and he never took it down, even though he agreed with me? (Dat YouTube money) Tmart video was worse, his suggestion was to get better internet, whatever that means.

First they blame the internet, then your connection, now the engine. MW2 ran the same engine, and IW managed to avoid all the problems Blops2 created. Videos like that create more misunderstanding. People will now be crying for dedicated servers and a new engine thinking that will solve the issue...IT WONT...

Whereas in reality 3arc could copy and paste functional code into their game and fix the issue in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Something’s are right, but mostly not very well explained, and lots of things wrong too. And some things were never explained, like off line lag. Just the devs making excuses for their shi**y net code, and finding the most inept twats on YouTube to spout their nonsense. 3arc's devs decided to talk to a guy who thought buffer bloat was at fault for the lag without ever investigating it first. I wrote to Driftor and explained what utter crap his video on that was and he never took it down, even though he agreed with me? (Dat YouTube money) Tmart video was worse, his suggestion was to get better internet, whatever that means.

First they blame the internet, then your connection, now the engine. MW2 ran the same engine, and IW managed to avoid all the problems Blops2 created. Videos like that create more misunderstanding. People will now be crying for dedicated servers and a new engine thinking that will solve the issue...IT WONT...

Whereas in reality 3arc could copy and paste functional code into their game and fix the issue in a heartbeat.

Unless they can paste a code that puts everyone on LAN they will never fix it. Online games will lag, its inevitable. Haven't even noticed this 'lag compensation' on black ops and the one important thing he said in that video, which everybody needs to get in their head is; On average players with better connections will get the advantage. That's how it is and hearing some fairy tales about people making their connections worse to get an advantage is just horse****.

AdamD wrote: »
    Unless they can paste a code that puts everyone on LAN they will never fix it. Online games will lag, its inevitable. Haven't even noticed this 'lag compensation' on black ops and the one important thing he said in that video, which everybody needs to get in their head is; On average players with better connections will get the advantage. That's how it is and hearing some fairy tales about people making their connections worse to get an advantage is just horse****.

There is offline lag in blops2 you know. It’s not funny perspective/camera angles like some have tried to make out, simply because collision damage (bullet damage) shows the same delay. Ruling out the camera's as the issue. So the issue is with the game's net code. Driftors video in essence is trying to blame the engine, which activison own and so can make any changes to it they want, even changing how the engine handles networking, so it’s no excuse.

If you get your matchmaking right and good functional code, the game should play like a Lan. Actually if you host a game and get 11 players with ping to you under say 30ms (and you just host the game and don’t play) you could in effect turn off the lag comp, as the players pings are so low and all roughly the same with such small timeframes a human would never notice the difference. Lag comp is really only there to account for very laggy players, say 80ms and above (depending on tic rates and other factors in the code)

Your right on your last point, Only the developers can fix the net code.

But simply saying there will always be lag is oversimplifying the issue. For instance valves net code recommends kicking players with 150ms+ ping to server. (the code will do it for you; you just need to set the option) That’s not a throw away comment from valve. They think the once the players are all 150ms and below, the lag is negligible if at all noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There is offline lag in blops2 you know. It’s not funny perspective/camera angles like some have tried to make out, simply because collision damage (bullet damage) shows the same delay. Ruling out the camera's as the issue. So the issue is with the game's net code. Driftors video in essence is trying to blame the engine, which activison own and so can make any changes to it they want, even changing how the engine handles networking, so it’s no excuse.

If you get your matchmaking right and good functional code, the game should play like a Lan. Actually if you host a game and get 11 players with ping to you under say 30ms (and you just host the game and don’t play) you could in effect turn off the lag comp, as the players pings are so low and all roughly the same with such small timeframes a human would never notice the difference. Lag comp is really only there to account for very laggy players, say 80ms and above (depending on tic rates and other factors in the code)

Your right on your last point, Only the developers can fix the net code.

But simply saying there will always be lag is oversimplifying the issue. For instance valves net code recommends kicking players with 150ms+ ping to server. (the code will do it for you; you just need to set the option) That’s not a throw away comment from valve. They think the once the players are all 150ms and below, the lag is negligible if at all noticeable.

You have a good point but I always thought that they'd have the limit that high in order to accommodate people with poor connections (rightly or wrongly) and that its more a case of not wanting to kick vast amounts of players out of games rather than considering 120 ping fine.

So you're saying they could code it to turn lag comp off if pings in the lobby are low enough? Would be interesting though I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference, if the host is decent and everyone has low pings the effect of lag comp is negligible anyway.

AdamD wrote: »
    You have a good point but I always thought that they'd have the limit that high in order to accommodate people with poor connections (rightly or wrongly) and that its more a case of not wanting to kick vast amounts of players out of games rather than considering 120 ping fine.

So you're saying they could code it to turn lag comp off if pings in the lobby are low enough? Would be interesting though I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference, if the host is decent and everyone has low pings the effect of lag comp is negligible anyway.

Not on systems like Xbox. If you pay for the service you get to play, regardless of how high your ping is. On a private server you can do what you like. Devs have several tricks now to minimize the effect of very laggy players,(Lock Step protocol is one) but again if the code is sloppy, it can be detrimental to everyone in the lobby (besides the host)

Yes, if the pings are low enough (and stable), though turning off the Lag comp is only theoretical. In reality it would be a nightmare, depending on how the game is coded. But in theory it would work. 30ms is (in a 60fps game) just below 2 frames, one frame being approx. 17ms. So it’s a tiny timescale, Factor in normal human response times are about 180-240ms, you can see why 30ms would not be noticeable. A LAN would have 0 ping. So the difference is really nothing.

Thats why matchmaking is SOOO important, find players with similar pings (regardless of location) and the game will run much better for all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Something’s are right, but mostly not very well explained, and lots of things wrong too.

i happened to watch that video last night - just wondering if you could explain in a bit more detail what specific things are wrong about what he's saying, because I've been trying to get my head round this.

Advertisement