Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[CoD Black Ops 2] News and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've just realised how much of this boils down to people being simply outraged that other people have the audacity to like call of duty when they don't.

oh, how very dare they!

Couldn't agree more. There's an absolute hatred for Call of Duty and a dismissal of those who play and enjoy it. I dunno if it's snobbery, a desire to prove hardcore credentials, an anti-console thing from the PC crowd or just a resentment that people who haven't spent years playing videogames suddenly getting into them - the 'Daves' if you will.

Call of Duty is a really good series. The games range from good to great, they offer some of the best multiplayer action on consoles and their enduring sales and popularity bear this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I was kind of hoping you weren't relying on that video. Because it's moronic.

You got some cherry picked animations and what? They should simply redo them all from scratch? For what reason? Are they broken? Is there something wrong with them?

You're moving into denial territory now. Nothing in that video is 'cherry picked', he goes through ten minutes of footage showcasing how weapon models and reloading animations haven't changed at all since 2007. I suppose using your logic, nothing should ever be changed or replaced in any game ever because it requires the least amount of effort from a development point of view. If it ain't broken, don't fix it! Activision's mantra above all else. Why do you think Guitar Hero was run into the ground? This series is suffering the same fate.
    Hell there's an entire section of the zoom function being show- I have no idea what anyone thinks that demonstrates. How many different goddamn ways do you think this can be done?

I think the author of the video was just demonstrating that everything on the weapon models hasn't changed at all along with the iron sights, it wasn't really to prove some intricate point like you seem to be assuming.
    Also, I'm wondering where in your much vaunted video half this copy & pasting is being demonstrated, so far we have the sane reuse of weapon assets. Where's everything else you claimed was wrong?

Weapon models, reload animations, UI, HUD and sound. All copy pasted. I didn't say everything else I claimed was wrong was contained in that one video, we'd need an entire showcase for that. But these two videos are more than enough.

Yup. You have no goddamn clue, amply demonstrated by your continued insistence that sane software development is a bad thing and that assets need to be replaced for the sake of it.

You call it 'sane software development', I call it 'lazy "charging €60 for glorified map packs" development'. And assets should be replaced merely for the fact that the developers so desperately try to showcase each iteration as NOT copy and paste and a completely new experience, yet they're just reusing everything. This is still fine in your book though. The way you go on, you'd almost think you were on the development team with them.
    Well, I don't see anyone from treyarch or IW telling you how to do your job that they don't understand in the slightest.

So, yeah. <more condescension here>

Yeah.... you keep right on thinking that.

I'm not really dreaming up everything I've seen in the videos and gameplay, so I don't need to keep 'thinking' anything, I know. Anyone would. It'll be interesting to see how you condescend your way out of this post and the two videos within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

And herein lies the problem, after watching those videos, despite the varied resolutions, I can see updated weapons models, different graphical effects and a combination of rather similar looking but also tweaked animations in a bunch of places. The character controller which determines the player movement and the animations do look rather similar and the truck and chickens in the second vid posted is obviously the same.

With regard to weapon models though, a more definitive test would be some high resolution screen grabs of each one for a proper side by side comparison. As it stands though, I'm quite shocked people are trying to claim they haven't changed at all. Seriously like, forward to 1:36 in the second video and pause it. All of the models on screen are either different or have been heavily updated with a higher polycount and the textures are vastly improved. :confused:

On that note though, if CoD A has a FAMAS and CoD B has a FAMAS then why wouldn't the modeller and animator take the work they had done for CoD A and tweak it to either add further detail for CoD B. They're going to be the same gun at the end of the day so what's the issue? Are people saying the FAMAS should be completely remodelled from scratch for CoD B? Are they saying it should be removed? Or are they saying that let it make a comeback in tweaked form but also include new weapons to make the experience better. So, since I haven't played the last two entries in the series, how many new guns have been added to the last games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

You're moving into denial territory now. Nothing in that video is 'cherry picked', he goes through ten minutes of footage showcasing how weapon models and reloading animations haven't changed at all since 2007. I suppose using your logic, nothing should ever be changed or replaced in any game ever because it requires the least amount of effort from a development point of view. If it ain't broken, don't fix it! Activision's mantra above all else.

Contrary to popular belief - this is good practice. You've still to show why these things need to be changed if they're working just fine.
    Are they broken?
    Is there something wrong with them?
    Must they be entirely reworked from scratch because tweaking and minor improvements aren't enough for you?

though I do love how the videos you've supplied are fixated on such incidental things, a truck, a chicken a static-y television and on one occasion a small building.
    Gosh, how dare they reuse minor assets, the bloody cheek of them.

You call it 'sane software development', I call it 'lazy "charging €60 for glorified map packs" development'. And assets should be replaced merely for the fact that the developers so desperately try to showcase each iteration as NOT copy and paste and a completely new experience, yet they're just reusing everything. This is still fine in your book though. The way you go on, you'd almost think you were on the development team with them.

God, I wish.
    Mainly because I think they'd all enjoy having a good laugh at your idea on how a video game ought to be made. It's amazing really.

Which reminds me, I should check out the film fora and see if this kind of peanut gallery faux expertise is common over there. I wonder if there's such a culture of anyone who's seen a few movies in their time suddenly deciding they know everything about how they're made and can offer such insightful critiques.
    I'm not really dreaming up everything I've seen in the videos and gameplay, so I don't need to keep 'thinking' anything, I know. Anyone would. It'll be interesting to see how you condescend your way out of this post and the two videos within it.

Well, as long as you've got your conclusions all ready then it hardly matters how I shit on your poor grasp of software development, does it?

gizmo wrote: »
    And herein lies the problem, after watching those videos, despite the varied resolutions, I can see updated weapons models, different graphical effects and a combination of rather similar looking but also tweaked animations in a bunch of places. The character controller which determines the player movement and the animations do look rather similar and the truck and chickens in the second vid posted is obviously the same.

In the first video, some of the weapons vary slightly but they virtually all function the same. The animations aren't 'tweaked' and I can't notice any 'different graphical effects'. If you're referring to the fact that the player isn't standing in the same map in both games, then of course it looks different. It sure as hell doesn't look updated though. The flatscreen TV showing a fuzzy news report, the table with the chickens, the moving truck, the pick-up truck, the exact way the chicken animates inside the cage, the building from a multiplayer CoD4 map, the computer monitors, the playground set: all identical.
    With regard to weapon models though, a more definitive test would be some high resolution screen grabs of each one for a proper side by side comparison. As it stands though, I'm quite shocked people are trying to claim they haven't changed at all. Seriously like, forward to 1:36 in the second video and pause it. All of the models on screen are either different or have been heavily updated with a higher polycount and the textures are vastly improved. :confused:

I think you're going a bit too far with 'vastly improved'. The weapons still feel, fire, reload and sound exactly the same as they always have. The character models at 1:36 differ but not really by a lot, the concept is the same.
    On that note though, if CoD A has a FAMAS and CoD B has a FAMAS then why wouldn't the modeller and animator take the work they had done for CoD A and tweak it to either add further detail for CoD B. They're going to be the same gun at the end of the day so what's the issue? Are people saying the FAMAS should be completely remodelled from scratch for CoD B? Are they saying it should be removed? Or are they saying that let it make a comeback in tweaked form but also include new weapons to make the experience better. So, since I haven't played the last two entries in the series, how many new guns have been added to the last games?

Look at the first video again and it'll tell you how much variation as regards new weapons there's been in the series. If you look up a weapon list somewhere I'm sure it'll tell you. As for the whole CoD A and CoD B thing with a specific weapon; if you're going to copy and paste weapon sounds and reloading animations along with pretty much all of the model, don't try and pass it off in an interview later on saying you didn't. That's the mistake that eejit at Sledgehammer made in the link I posted earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Well, as long as you've got your conclusions all ready then it hardly matters how I shit on your poor grasp of software development, does it?

Hey hooradiation, y so aggressive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

seyeM wrote: »
    Hey hooradiation, y so aggressive?

It pleases me that you kids think I'm being 'aggressive'.
    Must be pretty nice to be that sheltered.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Leeg17 wrote: »
    I'm not hyping this up much looking from the trailer (but I said I wouldn't hype this like I did for Mw3 and a lesser extent Blops) and to make a big judgement at this stage is a bit much imo.

:cool: :P

Still don't know what to make of the trailer tbh. But as for the last 2 years now I'll remain underwhelmed, partly on purpose. Only game series that can have me majorly hyped now is GTA.

That would be excellent I must say if true, though possibly might be one massive cluster****. 6 player I'd settle for though whatever the case, it must be 4 player minimum obviously. 2 player Spec Ops was rather boring after a few attempts.

In the first video, some of the weapons vary slightly but they virtually all function the same.
    Of course they function the same, they're the same gun. Were they functioning incorrectly in previous versions and so needed to change? Should they be changed just for the sake of it in the new version?
    The animations aren't 'tweaked' and I can't notice any 'different graphical effects'.
    Well this was my point, just because you can't see the differences doesn't mean they're not there. While I'm not an animator I can still see them quite clearly. The second video is also a better reference as when viewed in 720p (insert joke about the game not even running at full 720p ;)) the differences are far more obvious.
    If you're referring to the fact that the player isn't standing in the same map in both games, then of course it looks different. It sure as hell doesn't look updated though. The flatscreen TV showing a fuzzy news report, the table with the chickens, the moving truck, the pick-up truck, the exact way the chicken animates inside the cage, the building from a multiplayer CoD4 map, the computer monitors, the playground set: all identical.
    Yup, can't complain here. It's blatant reuse of assets. They're not exactly game ruining though, are they? :)
    I think you're going a bit too far with 'vastly improved'. The weapons still feel, fire, reload and sound exactly the same as they always have. The character models at 1:36 differ but not really by a lot, the concept is the same.
    Same point as above with the feel of the guns but if you really can't see the difference in the models at 1:36 then the problem certainly isn't with CoD. As for the character model, the base model is most certainly the same but it has been tweaked in the sense that the polycount is obviously higher, the textures are higher res and the additional props on the character such as the googles have been completely remodelled based on, I assume, real life examples.
    Look at the first video again and it'll tell you how much variation as regards new weapons there's been in the series. If you look up a weapon list somewhere I'm sure it'll tell you.
    Well the guns chosen were the same to show the similarities to them so it's not the best indicator. I'll have a look around for the weapon lists later though and see what new ones have been added.
    As for the whole CoD A and CoD B thing with a specific weapon; if you're going to copy and paste weapon sounds and reloading animations along with pretty much all of the model, don't try and pass it off in an interview later on saying you didn't. That's the mistake that eejit at Sledgehammer made in the link I posted earlier.
    Well to summarise, they weren't copy and pasted, that implies they were exactly the same, which I've pointed out they're not, so the Sledgehammer guy was completely correct. Also, I'd say he was more irate about it because his team have probably been working flat out to get the latest game out. I'm quote sure if you read up on the court papers on the whole West/Zampalla/EA/Activision suit you'll see cases where staff were working extremely long hours to get the game out the door. Folk generally don't tend to do that if the game is just as simple as a copy and paste job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The trailer isn't that great, the interview with the head of 3arc is giving me a lot of hope though.

I never really got into Zombies because I never played with anyone else, but I think with a boards party it could be amazing.

krudler wrote: »
    Nearly every game you see at E3 is incomplete, some games arecworked on until a few weeks before release, sure theres trailers for GTAV and thats not out for months

Majority of game trailers are at alpha stage, that was the case for V's trailer as well back in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The trailer isn't that great, the interview with the head of 3arc is giving me a lot of hope though.

I never really got into Zombies because I never played with anyone else, but I think with a boards party it could be amazing.

Many a night, and on into the morning :o , spent playin zombies!! It was great craic, especially in a full party!!

Contrary to popular belief - this is good practice. You've still to show why these things need to be changed if they're working just fine.

Like I said, let's just never change anything ever again. Why's there even a need for another generation of consoles when everything just works properly the way it is now? The guy in the article said nothing about the game is copy and pasted, I just proved things clearly were copy and pasted, now you just move on to "But there's nothing wrong with it." If you want to throw €60 at their next expansion pack game and slobber all over their leftovers, go ahead. I'd rather not have an entire genre of games stagnate because of games like this.
    Are they broken?
    Is there something wrong with them?
    Must they be entirely reworked from scratch because tweaking and minor improvements aren't enough for you?

They claimed it's not copy and pasted, that each game is a new experience with you yourself asking for evidence of where the copy and pasting actually occurred since you couldn't see it in the first video. I link you to two more videos showcasing this clearly isn't the case. Then, as sure as my dog pisses out the back garden every morning, revert back to saying there's nothing wrong with copy and pasting like a broken record.
    though I do love how the videos you've supplied are fixated on such incidental things, a truck, a chicken a static-y television and on one occasion a small building.
    Gosh, how dare they reuse minor assets, the bloody cheek of them.

You asked for evidence since I was supposedly lacking, I give it to you, now it's "Ah those things are just incidental and minor". A game HUD or weapons are hardly 'minor assets' in an FPS game.
    <more condescension along with a childish attempt at bypassing the profanity filter to get your point across>

David Vonderhaar ‏ @DavidVonderhaar
    @killerben1996 Zombies are coming back. Nothing else about them has been confirmed at this time.

David Vonderhaar ‏ @DavidVonderhaar
    Yes. Zombies was moved into the MP engine. This is so I can keep a closer eye on Jimmy. That guy is slightly insane. True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

they pure took the horse riding bit from uncharted 3...

After the dislike I had for Modern Warfare 2 I haven't bought a CoD game since.

They had the perfect formula with CoD4 but got greedy and remade the same game but with added perks over and over again

I most likely will not be buying this game, the shooter I'm looking forward to most this year is Borderlands 2 :D

Like I said, let's just never change anything ever again. Why's there even a need for another generation of consoles when everything just works properly the way it is now? The guy in the article said nothing about the game is copy and pasted, I just proved things clearly were copy and pasted, now you just move on to "But there's nothing wrong with it." If you want to throw €60 at their next expansion pack game and slobber all over their leftovers, go ahead. I'd rather not have an entire genre of games stagnate because of games like this.
    Slight point of contention, he didn't. He said...
    If you put Modern Warfare 2 next to Modern Warfare 3 you would see a huge difference. Look at all the character models, look at all the gun models, look at the reflections, look at the water. There is so much that we've added, so when someone says 'cut and paste', I don't even want to talk to them because they don't know. They just don't know. They have no idea.
    So given the range of things he pointed out, one can safely assume he was talking about the game as a whole. So far the only things which have been blatantly copy and pasted are a bunch of incidental props which isn't what angers so many people about the series. If you're going to insist that the other things that are highlighted in those videos which I've mentioned above are copy and pasted then I'm afraid I really do have to agree with him, you have no idea.

Now, if you'd like to talk about the thing that does anger most people and which has been "copy and pasted" then we can do so. The design. I personally find it lazy, uninspired and in actual fact, has led to the series getting progressively worse in successive titles introducing horrible unbalance, gimmicky perks and an obscenely intrusive perk and ranking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Thomasheen

Noice, zombies is always fun. Gets a bit boring and repetitive after awhile though so I hope they have some big changes to keep me interested

Slight point of contention, he didn't. He said...

So given the range of things he pointed out, one can safely assume he was talking about the game as a whole. So far the only things which have been blatantly copy and pasted are a bunch of incidental props which isn't what angers so many people about the series. If you're going to insist that the other things that are highlighted in those videos which I've mentioned above are copy and pasted then I'm afraid I really do have to agree with him, you have no idea.

He says in the article:
    "There is so much that we've added, so when someone says 'cut and paste', I don't even want to talk to them because they don't know. They just don't know. They have no idea."

He infers that anybody using the term 'cut and paste' ANYWHERE in a description of Modern Warfare 3 doesn't have a clue what they're talking about and that he'd just rather not talk to anybody who has that opinion. If he's taking such a strongly worded stance against people who'd describe his game as such, then it's only natural to assume he's pretty much saying "We don't cut and paste things in our games and if you do say that, you have no clue what you're on about and I'd rather not talk to you." If he really accepted there was cutting/copying/pasting, then he'd have no reason to come out with a line like that.

Also, saying the props are the only things that are copied is blatantly wrong. Without resorting to "But it's not broken" or "What's wrong with bringing them over from game to game", everything about the weapons, animations, sounds and HUD have been cut and pasted from previous games. There's ten minutes of footage clearly showcasing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

If Black Ops 2 doesn't kill the COD franchise I don't know what will...

• Advertisement

He infers that anybody using the term 'cut and paste' ANYWHERE in a description of Modern Warfare 3 doesn't have a clue what they're talking about and that he'd just rather not talk to anybody who has that opinion. If he's taking such a strongly worded stance against people who'd describe his game as such, then it's only natural to assume he's pretty much saying "We don't cut and paste things in our games and if you do say that, you have no clue what you're on about and I'd rather not talk to you." If he really accepted there was cutting/copying/pasting, then he'd have no reason to come out with a line like that.
    Well we're clearly taking different meanings from it. Given the fact that he references character and weapon models and new graphical effects I'd consider he was referring to the game as a whole rather than "nothing is done that way". If he did mean that however, then he is obviously clearly wrong. :)
    Also, saying the props are the only things that are copied is blatantly wrong. Without resorting to "But it's not broken" or "What's wrong with bringing them over from game to game", everything about the weapons, animations, sounds and HUD have been cut and pasted from previous games. There's ten minutes of footage clearly showcasing this.
    So I take it you're going to insist that all of the things shown in that video are the same then? :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

He says in the article:

He's got a point because reusing an existing asset is the polar opposite of Copy and Paste.

/pedantic

So I take it you're going to insist that all of the things shown in that video are the same then? :o

Every little thing isn't the same but if you showed that video to somebody who wasn't too familiar with the series, I'd be inclined to say they wouldn't see much of a difference.

Every little thing isn't the same but if you showed that video to somebody who wasn't too familiar with the series, I'd be inclined to say they wouldn't see much of a difference.
    Totally agree. But at the same time the people who, for whatever reason, pump god knows how many hours into each iteration will. Which is, I assume, the reason they they have no problem coughing up for the next iteration each year while the rest of us look on in utter bafflement. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Thomasheen wrote: »
    Noice, zombies is always fun. Gets a bit boring and repetitive after awhile though so I hope they have some big changes to keep me interested

They said there's some big changes coming - "most ambitious zombie mode yet". I'd bet there will be some kind of story mode/zombie campaign in addition to the normal survival that we all know and love. Something along the lines of Left4Dead - has anyone seen the mod where these guys put the Nacht Der Noten map inside the L4D2 engine?!? Total chaos! Looked fun as hell! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a parallel discussion in the COD forum, so I'm going to move this thread there.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

Not too excited about a Call of Duty set in the future, or maybe I am not excited because the last few games have been disappointing, however I am looking forward to Zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

If Black Ops 2 doesn't kill the COD franchise I don't know what will...

people making wild predictions?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Am I the only one who thought it looked pretty good? At least they changed things up a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

All of these lads giving out saying it looks like MGS/Gears/Halo....pffft.......if anything it's a reminiscent rip off of Command and Conquer!

I too am unsure about the whole future setting but the fact is that the last two Treyarch games have been excellent. Same can't be said for the last two IW instalments.
    I am especially looking forward to the SP because Treyarch definitely write good stories.
    The only thing I'm sceptical about is the zombies, eight players and all that...sounds like it'll be a cluster**** alright.

Advertisement