Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 142

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Of course I've seen the fight, I've seen all of Palhares' fights. I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one but all I will say is that Palhares has won the large majority of his fights by submission and this type of thing happened once, I for one am prepared to allow him the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Of course I've seen the fight, I've seen all of Palhares' fights. I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one but all I will say is that Palhares has won the large majority of his fights by submission and this type of thing happened once, I for one am prepared to allow him the benefit of the doubt.

It's a consistent thing with Palhares. He keeps many submission on too long. Here's a recent one from ADCC after he was told to stop for going out of bounds, he cranks the heel hook.

Another where he stops after the first tap and cranks till he taps again. The ref was trying to stop for the initial fool on Palhares though.

Here's one more, although not as bad as the others, where he holds onto the armbar until the ref pries him off.

He stated before that the reason he holds onto subs after a tap was due to his coach losing a match because of a "ghost tap".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah Barboza is a blue belt too.

I think Etim has the edge both standing and on the ground. Could be a hell of a fight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ian Whelan wrote: »

Well, as pointed out above, he's been known to do it alot.

Also, why would you give him the benefit of the doubt when he actually admitted doing it?

Once is way more than enough by the way! You shouldn't have to give kudos to somebody for not intentionally injuring his opponents in previous matches, that's just silly!

"You can sleep with 10000 women in your life, but if you give 1 blow-job you'll die a cock-sucker"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just been announced that Rumble has no chance of making 186.
    Vitors getting 20% of his purse and the fights still on IF he weighs less then 205 tomorrow.

Christ. Wonder how far hes out by

Ahha: Link http://www.ufc.com/news/Rumble-Misses-Weight-Belfort-Fight-Still-On

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Just been announced that Rumble has no chance of making 186.
    Vitors getting 20% of his purse and the fights still on IF he weighs less then 205 tomorrow.

Christ. Wonder how far hes out by

That is ridiculous. It's going to be a complete mismatch if he is over 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Johnson just weighed in at 197. That's a lot! I wonder how he missed it by so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dean09 wrote: »
    Johnson just weighed in at 197. That's a lot! I wonder how he missed it by so much!

Fcukin hell! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Jaysus what is Johnson at coming in 12 pounds overweight. And to think this is his first fight moving up in weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭weemcd

197 lbs is the figure given for Johnson, pretty terrible attempt at making weight tbh, we're talking 11 pounds for him to even scrape in at MW. Vitor is big for a MW and will probably re-hydrate to a similar size, but that's not really the point, is it?

Hope this doesn't lead to Vitor having too much of a disadvantage tomorrow (Vitor fan, put £5 on him for the KO less than 20 minutes ago) the longer this fight goes on the better I see it for Johnson.

• Advertisement

I'd say Dana is seriously píssed off. Rumble will be on thin ice with him now. I'd say if he misses weight again then he'll be cut.
    I knew he looked huge in all those training videos but that's a ridiculous amount to miss weight by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Yeah no doubt about it, Johnson would want to put in a good showing in this, if he loses badly then he's toast I'd say.

He's never even missed WW by that much, how do you go up in weight and miss it by 12 pounds?
    He missed Franklinweight ffs.

Guy shouldn't be allowed fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Roy Nelson just said on twitter that Johnson had a KG scales and fcuked up the maths, thought he was almost on weight..

big country- an authority on making weight... who'd a thunk it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Two possibilities here:

1) He tried to make weight and could only get down to 197, in which case he's probably about 220, and will be screwed if he has to make 205 tomorrow (the amount of screwage depends on when he has to make that).

2) He just didn't bother, knowing it's Rio, no athletic commission, and Vitor won't pull out in front of his home crowd a.k.a. Carano antics. In which case 205 may not be that much bother as it could be quite close to his full weight.

Lose-lose for Vitor, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Clive wrote: »
    Two possibilities here:

1) He tried to make weight and could only get down to 197, in which case he's probably about 220, and will be screwed if he has to make 205 tomorrow (the amount of screwage depends on when he has to make that).

2) He just didn't bother, knowing it's Rio, no athletic commission, and Vitor won't pull out in front of his home crowd a.k.a. Carano antics. In which case 205 may not be that much bother as it could be quite close to his full weight.

Lose-lose for Vitor, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I doubt he just didn't bother. He couldn't be that stupid.
    After missing weight on previous occasions and knowing what Dana is like, he should've known his job could be on the line over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Johnson is a disgrace, he should be cut regardless of how this fight goes.

He has totally sullied this whole match up now and I hope he gets his head knocked off, the fat cúnt.

The Brazilians were chanting, "You're going to die, you're going to die"! :pac:

Denners.ie wrote: »

He has totally sullied this whole match up now and I hope he gets his head knocked off, the fat cúnt.

Píssed myself laughing at that one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Denners.ie wrote: »
    Johnson is a disgrace, he should be cut regardless of how this fight goes.

The Brazilians were chanting, "You're going to die, you're going to die"! :pac:

id say johnson only heard PIE, not die.

he should be sacked straight away, no fight, and all his purse given to Belfort.

absolutely ridiculous behaviour by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 llcolj

according to MMAWEEKLY he had made the weight cut, but got sick and the doctors made him rehydrate.

http://mmaweekly.com/medical-reasons-not-lack-of-effort-prevented-anthony-johnson-from-making-weight

• Advertisement

Lads everybody is overlooking one thing.............

Maybe his missing weight (significantly) is a product of an injury in training.

If this is the case, it could be HIM going in at a massive disadvantage.

In any case, it's a complete disgrace and i'll be absolutely bulling if he goes out there and beats Vitor by out muscling him! Or wins at all.

Complete joke. 20% of the purse is not enough. And unless he has a proper excuse (lol at Roy Nelson's excuse, as if nobody in his camp knew how to convert from KGs) he needs to go, win lose or draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Shazbot wrote: »
    It's a consistent thing with Palhares. He keeps many submission on too long. Here's a recent one from ADCC after he was told to stop for going out of bounds, he cranks the heel hook.

He stated before that the reason he holds onto subs after a tap was due to his coach losing a match because of a "ghost tap".

I do believe that he has been seeing a sport Psychologist in an effort to help him focus in the cage and overcome his weird behavior, As in the Marquet fight and the fight where he jumped on the cage thinking he'd won. Met him in Dublin when they were here. He is really nice guy. Doesn't speak a word of english.

Anyone know if the prelims are will be on UFC tv again?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

liger wrote: »
    Anyone know if the prelims are will be on UFC tv again?

I heard that at least some prelims are going to be on facebook (thats from UFC UK twitter) but they said nothing about UFC.tv

If I was to guess I'd say the whole lot will be on UFC.tv as well

CageWager wrote: »
    I heard that at least some prelims are going to be on facebook (thats from UFC UK twitter) but they said nothing about UFC.tv

If I was to guess I'd say the whole lot will be on UFC.tv as well

There's 1 fight on Facebook (the first one) then a 4 fight Prelim Show on FX in the states (normally i's a 2 fight show on Spike, this portion is on UFC.tv).

I really hope the FX show is on UFC.tv!

A little more on the Johnson debacle!

RIO DE JANEIRO – Dana White today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he's "beyond pissed" at Anthony Johnson (10-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) after the fighter came in 11 pounds overweight for a bout with Vitor Belfort (20-9 MMA, 9-4 UFC) at UFC 142.

The UFC president said Johnson came within a pound-and-a-half of the 186-pound limit allowed for non-title middleweight fights but was forced by a doctor to rehydrate because "he couldn't make it."

Now, Johnson is fighting for his job, regardless of whether he wins or loses the co-main event fight, which takes place Saturday at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

"His job is on the line," White said. "His job is absolutely on the line, win or lose."

White's explanation for Johnson's miss differed sharply from the fighter's representative. Johnson's manager, Glenn Robinson, today told Yahoo! Sports that the fighter fell ill three hours before weigh-ins and was instructed by UFC doctor Jeff Davidson to put fluids back into his body. Those fluids pushed Johnson to 197 pounds. (Robinson declined comment to MMAjunkie.com.)

"Complete and absolute unprofessionalism – that's what happened," White said. "There's no other way it can be explained.

Johnson was fined 20 percent of his "show" purse. It's the third time he's come in over weight in the UFC: At UFC 76, he fought Rich Clementi at a catchweight of 177.5, and at UFC 104, he fought Yoshiyuki Yoshida at 176 pounds. Against Yoshida, he was also fined 20 percent of his "show" purse.

However, the penalty for this infraction could be much worse.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

"Complete and absolute unprofessionalism – that's what happened," White said.

I think Dana sums it up perfectly, Johnson tried to cut too much weight in too little time and it rests solely on his shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I don't think many will have sympathy for Johnson, if he gets cut. There are guys who cut a lot more weight and never come in over weight.

Rogan said this week, (pretty sure the countdown show) that Johnson is much happier at MW because he can eat more. Maybe he took the weight cut for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

On the bright side, 'weight gate' rolls off the tongue a lot easier than a lot of the other 'gates'...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

What time do the prelims air?

• Advertisement

jayteecork wrote: »
    What time do the prelims air?

Half 12 I think.

Advertisement