Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 142

Options
  • 10-01-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Featherweight Championship: José Aldo (c) vs. Chad Mendes[1]
    Middleweight bout: Vitor Belfort vs. Anthony Johnson[1]
    Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs. Mike Massenzio[1]
    Welterweight bout: Erick Silva vs. Carlo Prater[1]
    Lightweight bout: Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim[1]
    [edit] Preliminary card (FX)
    Lightweight bout: Thiago Tavares vs. Sam Stout[1]
    Heavyweight bout: Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Ednaldo Oliveira[1]
    Featherweight bout: Yuri Alcantara vs. Michihiro Omigawa[1]
    Welterweight bout: Ricardo Funch vs. Mike Pyle[1]
    [edit] Preliminary card (Facebook)
    Featherweight bout: Felipe Arantes vs. Antonio Carvalho[1]

Hopefully aldo will get the finger out this time, i think Vitor is goin to murder johnson. Looking forward to Erick Silva, he looked good in the last fight
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Cant wait to see Terry Etim after his last showing.

pauldoo wrote: »

I think Vitor is goin to murder johnson

Rumble is an absolute monster at 185 though. Bigger than Rashad in one of the vids I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Rumble is an absolute monster at 185 though. Bigger than Rashad in one of the vids I saw.

You makin it hard for me to back you up on this one Joe ;)

You makin it hard for me to back you up on this one Joe ;)

I still think Vitor will take it but Rumble looks huge haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

he does look huge, when hes rolling with evans he looks like the bigger fighter

• Advertisement

he does look huge, when hes rolling with evans he looks like the bigger fighter

But it looks like his first time rolling :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Whats the story with it regarding being on tv over here does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Baptist

Looks a bit of a buzzkill compared to previous cards.

Much more looking forward to Guillard/Miller and the Fox show if I'm being honest.

Taking Mendes over Aldo, and Rumble over Belfort.

Barboza will rip Etim a new arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Whats the story with it regarding being on tv over here does anyone know?

3am Sunday morning on ESPN

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Honestly think Mendes and AJ are gonna outwrestle their opponents. Get two UD's and start a riot in Rio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I can't wait to see Palhares, I think he's incredible and I will always believe that his fight v Marquardt was just nonsense. I can't see how Marquardt got out of that leg lock like he did and the whole incident just ruined the fight. I think he'll win his fight at UFC 142 and hopefully move on to bigger things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 barter1990

Rumble is gonna get KO'd no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I see Feul is putting on a post ppv show with Ariel Helwanni and a few more, I wouldn't mind seeing this, however can't see it being shown over heree, disapointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    I can't wait to see Palhares, I think he's incredible and I will always believe that his fight v Marquardt was just nonsense. I can't see how Marquardt got out of that leg lock like he did and the whole incident just ruined the fight. I think he'll win his fight at UFC 142 and hopefully move on to bigger things.

I think Palhares is a scumbag who got his just deserts in the Marquardt fight, I hope that trend continues against Massenzio.

_oveless wrote: »
    I think Palhares is a scumbag who got his just deserts in the Marquardt fight, I hope that trend continues against Massenzio.

He's not the most popular figure but he gets the job done. If he wins this he's getting someone top ten in his next fight, then maybe a shot. A good fight would be Okami.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Good card.

Nearly tempted to put a bet on Mendes, some good odds.

_oveless wrote: »

Scumbag? Why do you say that?

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    Good card.

Nearly tempted to put a bet on Mendes, some good odds.

Yes, Mendes is a reasonably big underdog according to the bookies. If you can predict the manner of his victory then the odds are a good bit bigger:

http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports/mma-ufc/jose-aldo-v-chad-mendes/method-of-victory

Scumbag? Why do you say that?

Ask Tomasz Drwal!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Ask Tomasz Drwal!

Personally I don't believe that he deliberately intended to injure his opponent. He held the submission until he was instructed to let go of it. We are talking about split seconds and it's not like the guy has a history of bad behaviour. If that incident makes him a scumbag then Luke Rockhold is a scumbag for hitting Keith Jardine with the last few shots before Herb Dean finally stopped the fight and Jon Jones is also a scumbag for landing repeated obviously illegal blows to Matt Hamill's face, he could have blinded him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Don't ask me why, but I see a big upset on the cards. The Brazilian lads can't keep winning at home constantly (even if Dana sets up the fights for them to do so). So gonna take a massive punt on Johnson knocking out Belfort...as I just can't see Aldo losing (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

leggo wrote: »
    Don't ask me why, but I see a big upset on the cards. The Brazilian lads can't keep winning at home constantly (even if Dana sets up the fights for them to do so). So gonna take a massive punt on Johnson knocking out Belfort...as I just can't see Aldo losing (yet).

They havent. Luiz Cane lost at the 1st Rio event. (Only brazilian to do so the poor bastard :pac:)
    For a big loss though hes probably looking to cause a riot with Sonnen & Silva :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

They havent. Luiz Cane lost at the 1st Rio event. (Only brazilian to do so the poor bastard :pac:)
    For a big loss though hes probably looking to cause a riot with Sonnen & Silva :D

Yeah that's why I wrote a big upset there, sorry I didn't clarify that very well.

I know he's probably right in the middle of training camp, but I hope to god Dana has flown in Chael for the event to give a ringside interview and hype the Silva fight. We all know how hot Rio crowds are in general, now imagine what it'd be like if Sonnen calls out their idol IN his hometown. :eek::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I see/hope Vitor will get the KO with a flurry IF he relaxes and lets his higher quality hands go..early...if he doesn't AJ will pick him up and smash him like an angry child opening a birthday present they didn't ask for...he's a monster 185er 6'2''

anthony_johnson_185.jpg

Personally I don't believe that he deliberately intended to injure his opponent. He held the submission until he was instructed to let go of it.

No he didn't. Did you watch the fight? The ref had to pull him off. He literally had to pull Palhares from the hold!

In fact, Palhares later confirmed he had done as much and apologised for it, making the excuse "I didn't think he was tapping". Bullsh*t! Anyone who saw the fight could see Drwal tapped ages beforehand.

He was then found guilty of doing it and was suspended for 90 days.
    We are talking about split seconds and it's not like the guy has a history of bad behaviour. If that incident makes him a scumbag then Luke Rockhold is a scumbag for hitting Keith Jardine with the last few shots before Herb Dean finally stopped the fight and Jon Jones is also a scumbag for landing repeated obviously illegal blows to Matt Hamill's face, he could have blinded him.

Blah blah blah! If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle! I'm not talking about other fighters and other incidents, i'm talking about the Palhares v Drwal incident. Drwal screamed in pain, then he tapped furiously..... and Palhares wouldn't let go.

Then the ref jumped in and he STILL didn't let go, the ref had to pull his arms apart. if you look at the video, you can see the ref tug at Palhares at least 2 times before he lets go.

Palhares-subs-Drwal.gif

Different view here: http://mmajunkie.com/news/18489/ufc-111s-rousimar-palhares-believes-suspension-unfair-explains-actions.mma

The replay is not in any way conclusive, he couldn't even see his opponent's face/hand.

Different view here: http://mmajunkie.com/news/18489/ufc-111s-rousimar-palhares-believes-suspension-unfair-explains-actions.mma

The replay is not in any way conclusive, he couldn't even see his opponent's face/hand.

Erm.......... in that link it not only says that Palhares himself apologised immediately for holding it too long, it also said even his manager said:
    For his part, Davis believes that perhaps his client should have released the hold a moment or two sooner

Lad, i'm getting the impression you've never seen this fight. And if you can't see in that gif that the ref tries to yank Palharres off his twice, then there's no point carrying on the conversation.

Palhares-subs-Drwal.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Barboza will rip Etim a new arsehole.

The same Barboza who got a debatable decision against Pearson and went the distance with Nkjouani?

Etim by late sub...

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The same Barboza who got a debatable decision against Pearson and went the distance with Nkjouani?

Etim by late sub...

Yeah Barboza is a blue belt too. Etim by sub is 7/4 on paddypower.

Advertisement