Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Okay....what's a chipper???? :confused:

A place that sells home made French fries to the masses. People swear blind that they don't eat from them yet give them a few pints and you can't keep them out of the place. Think mcdonalds only more unhealthy and without a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

dev123 wrote: »
    A place that sells home made French fries to the masses. People swear blind that they don't eat from them yet give them a few pints and you can't keep them out of the place. Think mcdonalds only more unhealthy and without a clown.

Actually there were a lot of clowns there:)
    Thanks for the great company on the pacing job and a great night out with Mrs D and your pals.

I also forgot to thank Chinguetti who rescued JCsmum and I when we were lost on the way to the bag drop:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Marthastew wrote: »
    Actually there were a lot of clowns there:)
    Thanks for the great company on the pacing job and a great night out with Mrs D and your pals.

I also forgot to thank Chinguetti who rescued JCsmum and I when we were lost on the way to the bag drop:)
    The pleasure was all mine MS. It was a great day and night, and I'm looking forward to the next one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

dev123 wrote: »

Scandalous generalization. DD, you need to visit Burdocks in Dublin (though I strongly suggest after the marathon - you're running Dublin iirc ?) .. mind you it's been a long, long time since I was a regular.

Sorry for the hijack MS.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Scandalous generalization. DD, you need to visit Burdocks in Dublin (though I strongly suggest after the marathon - you're running Dublin iirc ?) .. mind you it's been a long, long time since I was a regular.

Sorry for the hijack MS.

Food related posts on here are never considered hijack:D
    Dory we definitely have to drag you to a chipper as part of your DCM celebrations! Battered Mars Bar anyone? (For the record I've never eaten one:))

Pgmcpq, how are you? Are you doing New York? I went for a refund, I told Mr Stew he needs to up his game and run a GFA so we can both go next year;)
    I hope all is well with you

• Advertisement

total miles for the past week; 13.21:eek::eek:

Monday after the half pacing in Limerick was all about rest, rehydration and recovery..... Not because of the half but because of the night out after:D
    The earliest appointment available for dry needling for my calf and quad was Thursday so I spent the rest of the week cross-training, classes, swimming, yoga and although I was dying to run I knew I'd be better to wait and see the physio.
    An excruciating session that practically had me crawling out the door on my hands and knees. Friday I decided to swim and then Saturday was busy with GAA and a family communion. Soooo Sunday morning rolled round and I was delighted to be heading down to Kildare...

Run Kildare Half Marathon Sunday May 12th
    13.21 miles 1.59.38:D

Congrats to all who raced and paced:D

Mr Stew drove down with vagga and 2 other pals, no problem with parking and we arrived nice and early. We were pacing the 2 hour group with Meno and Ultraman had taken great care of the pacers, lots of sweets, chocolate and coffee. We were lucky enough to have time to go see beepbeep finish a fantastic race:D And then we headed down to the start with our fellow pacers, it's safe to say the Run Kildare folk were in very good hands:D
    Not much to say except that we had a fantastic group and managed to send on some of them and hold onto most of them. Pretty even splits throughout in spite of the wind and the occasional incorrect mile markers and before we knew it we had 10 miles in the bank and still a great group with us working as hard as they could. We were also picking up runners who had dropped off pace and one of those runners told me in no uncertain terms what she thought of my positivity:eek: I joked she'd need to run faster to avoid me and I'm pretty sure that went down like a turd in a punchbowl:) Pretty soon we had the wind at our backs and the pace crept up on the 12th mile, all the while Meno, Mr S and I were telling people they were on their way to a sub 2 hour half. Crossed the line to be greeted by lots of grateful pacees and then we headed back for more jellies, chocolate and sweets. A brief catch up with all our boards pals and we were on the road home in no time. To top the day off nicely I opened my GIANT bag of peanut M&Ms to share, Dory had very kindly sent me a lifetime supply of yummy, yummy deliciousness:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I just jumped in on that photo but I still don't know who's birthday it was:P.

Total miles for the week ending 19th May zero:eek::eek:

Goals for May:eek:
    · Make sure I am recovered well before I up the miles and intensity
    · get back to running for fun
    · PB at Sortsworld 5 mile on May 19th
    · Pass the 1,000 mile mark

Clearly things aren’t exactly going to plan for May as my recovery from London has been very slow. Crossing the finish line there I knew I’d emptied the tank completely and I knew it would take some time to recover but I’m honestly shocked as to how long it has taken. Most of us are familiar with the statistic of one day of recovery for each mile and I remember Pronator reminding me of this fact in the Coal Hole (it was early in the evening;)) and at the time I was thinking “I surely won’t need that much time”……… It’s now over 26.2 days since the marathon and I finally feel like I’m recovering:) My energy levels are back up again and I’m sleeping well. In the aftermath of London I had being overdoing it on the chocolate, junk food, drink etc. and that clearly wasn’t helping me so last week I decided to help Mr S in his prep for Portumna marathon by joining him on a healthy eating plan allowing whilst myself one day at the weekend to eat the chocolate Dory sent me:). I haven’t run at all this week as I woke on Monday with a bad head cold that went to my chest so I won’t start back till that has completely cleared up. I took 2 complete rest days last week and I actually enjoyed them, in fact I was nearly on the slippery slope to spending the morning in my jammies watching Jeremy Kyle:eek: (I have never watched that show:)) In the meantime I’ve been doing yoga, swimming and cycling and I’m actually not missing running as much as I thought I would since I’m voluntarily taking a break. Yesterday I cycled in to support at the Sportsworld 5 mile and even though I would have loved to have been racing I really enjoyed being on the side-lines. It was a super race, really well marshalled and organised with a great spread after. I saw jcsmum get a super PB:), and was shocked to see Krusty and Pronator there just one week after their sub 3 marathon pacing in Kildare, in fact they went by me so fast I nearly missed them.... Where do they get energy from?:eek:

By now I had hoped to be Mrs-Martha-Mcmillan-10K in preparation for the Women’s Mini marathon but there will be plenty of 10Ks for me to race over the Summer instead. I’ve signed up for the Athlone Flatline Marathon on September 14th so my plan is to recover fully and then ease back into training for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I’ve signed up for the Athlone Flatline Marathon on September 14th so my plan is to recover fully and then ease back into training for that.

Was a great race last year! I'll see ya there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

[quote=. I saw jcsmum get a super PB:), and was shocked to see Krusty and Pronator there just one week after their sub 3 marathon pacing in Kildare, in fact they went by me so fast I nearly missed them.... Where do they get energy from?:eek:

Trust me, yesterday was not a very bright idea! I'm blaming Gary for putting such thoughts of running it in my head:-)

Let the body tell you when it's ready, it's not only London, it's also the 50k too that your recovering from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

was shocked to see Krusty and Pronator there just one week after their sub 3 marathon pacing in Kildare
    Thanks for the shout-out! I didn't see you, but heard my name hollered when I was 50m further up the road. I think I need to join you on your 'once-a-week' diet. Do you have a name for this plan? The Lenten diet? The Happy Saturday? 7th day heaven?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Thanks so much for yesterday O. I recognised your voice straight away eventhough I wasn't expecting you there. Now, if only you had pom poms, it would have driven me on even more and maybe knocked a few more seconds off my time (3 to be precise!) :D;)

Total mileage for May 41.56:eek::eek::eek:
    Total mileage year to date 853.03

No running for me over the last few weeks so I haven’t been updating.
    A bad head cold (which could actually be called woman-flu except for the fact that we all know only men get flu;)) knocked me out for a bit and I even resorted to a few rest days with no jumping in the sea or yoga or body pump or anything but the house is spotlessly clean now and I was getting bored so last Tuesday I decided to do an easy 5 miles with a pal as my energy levels were back to normal and my cough didn’t seem to be getting any worse. It didn’t exactly go to plan as even at 9.30 min/miles it didn’t feel easy and I never felt like I could catch my breath, my lungs felt like they were squashed so I ended up walking the last mile:eek:

I had hoped to run the WMM as a nice easy back to training run but I’m still coughing a lot so I’m volunteering in the Finish area instead.

I’m assuming it’s just a virus that’s taking a while to shift (lots of people around have similar bugs) and if I’m not improved by the end of the week I might even consider going to the doctor.
    It’s 3 weeks since I last did a proper run:eek::eek: but I feel I’ve invested a lot in my recovery and it would be stupid to start back if I’m not better.

In the meantime I’m cycling, swimming, doing yoga and other strength classes but I’d give anything to be heading out on a LSR right now. I’m starting to really miss running and I’ve come to the conclusion that if I don’t get back soon I’ll be a very, very large girl with an unhealthy penchant for wine and chocolate:D

Goals for June
    1. Get rid of this chest cold (I’m starting a VERY HEALTHY diet after the Bank Holiday weekend)
    2. Start back running:)
    3. Run a Marlay Parkrun to see just how much fitness I have lost:eek::eek:
    4. June 24th, Start a 12 week training plan for Athlone Marathon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

You doing full or half in athlone? I'm doing the half myself as a marker for Chicago a few weeks later.

belcarra wrote: »
    You doing full or half in athlone? I'm doing the half myself as a marker for Chicago a few weeks later.

Managed to get one of the full marathon places (they couldn't refuse me as I'm from Athlone:))
    Lucky you..... Chicago is an amazing marathon, you will LOVE it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Managed to get one of the full marathon places (they couldn't refuse me as I'm Meno's oul wan:))
    Lucky you..... Chicago is an amazing marathon, you will LOVE it:D

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh O, you need to feel better soon!!!! Milk Duds....eat lots and lots of Milk Duds. And your choco-choco-cafe-latte-whoop-whoop drink you drink. They'll take your mind off your troubles and you'll be on the mend in no time! :D

And, you're from Athlone?? Love Athlone. There's a cute little coffee shop on the water that has the best homemade soups and desserts. Twas heaven. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hope you are enjoying the fab weather, and you are feeling a lot better this week. Mind yourself :)

Monday June 3rd Women’s Mini-marathon
    0 miles at no pace;)
    I volunteered instead of running this, partly because I knew if I volunteered I couldn’t try to race it at the last minute:) and was on medal duty, what a fab day. I got to see the winners come in and also super dooper Claralara. A tough day for racing and there were a lot of exhausted, red-faced runners (Claralara was not red-faced:)).
    Over 2 hours of saying “Congratulations” and a lot of “No number, no medal” (I was shocked at the number of bandit participants) and occasionally “Sorry sir, no medal for you”. A great fun day and I got to give medals to a lot of my running pals:D
    Tuesday June 4th
    Dip in 40 Foot
    Cycling 14 miles
    Had to head into town so I cycled on my trusty rust-bucket that wouldn’t be stolen, a good workout in super weather.
    Wednesday June 5th
    Longer swim at 40 Foot (water temp is now 13 degrees Celsius:D)
    11.01 miles avg pace 9.15
    Another dip in the 40 Foot because the sea is so fab:)
    The sunny weather has had me tearing my hair out with no running and my cough is nearly gone so I decided to head along the coast up Vico Road as far as Shankill and back home again. Heaven:D I opted for an MT session (maximum tanning;)) in spite of the fact that I’ve put on over half stone since London:eek: I shamelessly put on my itsy bitsy shorts from Limerick and a skimpy vest top and soaked up the sun. I started very slow and the hills were tough but I gradually increased the pace by the end of the run. I really enjoyed it and although I’ve a long way to go to get back to where I was I have plenty of time to get there.
    Thursday June 6th
    4.95 easy miles @ 9.20 pace
    75 minuet Hot Ashtanga Yoga class
    Double dip in the 40 Foot
    Another glorious morning so I headed out with some pals for a catch-up run. My breathing was a little all over the pace when I was talking, my chest is still very tight and I’ve made an appointment with the doctor next week (only because I know it will only get better if I make an appointment). Yoga in a warm room with lots of deep breathing seemed to do the trick so I headed to the beach after:) The house is falling apart and the boys have to live on cereal as I refuse to go shopping when the sun is shining.
    Friday June 7th
    Cycle to Enniskerry, 23 miles at easy peasy pace
    Dip in the 40 foot
    This cycle probably just about earned me enough calories for the coffee and scone when we got there as I was with pals and we took it easy. Fabulous views of the Sugar Loaf and birds chirping all the way.
    Still no grocery shopping done but there is white wine in the fridge and even a few MIlk Duds so it's all good:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great to see you back MS :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Must have missed you on Mon, didn't see you at all! Was over an hour late getting my medal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

+about time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Longer swim at 40 Foot
    11.01 miles avg pace 9.15
    dats a long swim....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

It's lonely on boards when you don't post! Great to see you back running AND posting! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm just hoping you've made it to the store by now. ;):D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'm just hoping you've made it to the store by now. ;):D
    The good news is I eventually made it to the store on Monday (only because Mr S has a marathon on Saturday and I'm doing my bit this week by feeding him healthy, carb rich home-made food:))
    The bad news.......
    I had a very enjoyable weekend relaxing with the family in the West (visiting oldest Junior Stew in Irish college) and despite all the R&R my chest cold was still very much there on Monday. So I bit the bullet and went to the GP, the good news is it's nothing serious just an infection that needs antibiotics but the bad news (and this is really embarrassing, I'm not sure where my brain cells were on Monday) I forgot to tell the GP (my usual one was on vacation) that I am allergic to penicillin..... 24 hours later I was on the phone to the GP with a rash and a swollen throat and feeling much worse off, I had been prescribed penicillin:eek: I always write it on the back of my race numbers and I'm very aware of my allergy but I reckon all this no running has killed off my last few brain cells;) Luckily I'm fine now and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to resume my amazing comeback next week. In the meantime..

Monday June 10th
    rest
    (although my body did spend the day fighting the penicillin I gave it so it didn't feel like rest)

Tuesday June 11th
    45 mins lower body class
    45 mins mat Pilates

Wednesday June 12th
    dip in the 40 Foot
    45 mins mat Pilates

I'm not doing too bad as I've been using the down-time wisely; having lots of mocha-choco-chinos with pals, lots of fun stuff with the kids such as getting ready for Community Games on Saturday and I'm stewarding at a fun race in the near future so it's all good:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

and I'm stewarding at a fun race in the near future so it's all good:)

I suggest you wear waterproofs :D:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Jeepers :eek: You poor thing I bet that was scary. Glad to hear you're ok now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I feel your pain. We were over in Ireland for a few days (niece ran the mini-marathon) ... did some running (my first in some time)... arrived back with bronchitis. Improving slowly - I've progressed from feeling like a three-pack to a single-pack a day smoker. Avoiding the gp so far.

Feel better.

Advertisement