Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Love that the Stews are back! AND you're pacing 4 hours for Dublin? Expect me to stick to you like glue for 3:59:30 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

murphd77 wrote: »
    What a report, and what a race. Kudos. And well done especially on leaving the mysterious friend in the dust on the final straight.

Thanks, I saw on the 10 Mile thread that you also raced, I hope it went well for you? Is DCM on the cards for you?
    racheljev wrote: »
    Love that the Stews are back! AND you're pacing 4 hours for Dublin? Expect me to stick to you like glue for 3:59:30 :D

Well done on all your hard work over the last few weeks Rach, sub 4 in DCM is definitely on the cards for you. Looking forward to catching up with you in Athlone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done MS,..nice reports,,now to copy and paste and insert

Wednesday August 28th
    6.6 easy miles @ 8.53 pace
    The legs weren’t feeling too bad after the busy weekend and the session yesterday and I bumped into a pal so the miles ticked by nicely.

Thursday August 29th recovery
    Last LSR before Athone Flatline marathon:D
    21.52 miles
    This was another run of two halves as I was joined by a friend for the first 10 miles (@Digger it wasn’t Meno;)). We took it very easy in along the coast to town and she was struggling a little so we kept the pace @9 min miles. I decided I needed to work a little harder for the rest of the run so after a pint of water I headed to the hills of Killiney and along the coast to Shankill. I felt strong on the hills but it was very warm so I decided to be nice to myself and popped into a petrol station in Shankill for a bottle of yummy blue Powerade. The overall pace for this run was 8.20 and I picked it up to 7.30 pace for the last 3 and a half miles (I cheated a little here; the first of those 3 miles was downhill so it was easy to get the momentum going). Finished feeling strong so I’ve decided 3.30 is a reasonable target for Athlone, I would hope to run in or around that time and finish feeling strong heading into the winter.

Friday August 30th
    6.35 recovery miles @ 9 min/mile pace
    75 minute Hot Ashtanga yoga
    45 minute Body Pump Class
    The Stew boys are back in school so Ive got my mornings to myself again:) Bring on the Cappucinos:D:D
    Legs felt tired to start but I felt good after a few miles. I really enjoyed the much needed yoga and the body pump was tough, I need to work on my guns;)

Saturday August 31st
    Marlay Parkrun 22.17
    total miles including warm-up and cool-down 7.63
    The return to school brings the return to GAA so I was delighted when Junior’s hurling match was scheduled for 11am at home and we were able to fit in one last parkrun. Another sunny morning but a little windier and a bit chillier, Junior told me he wasn’t looking forward to the run and that he planned to take it easy and save himself for the hurling. Over my dead body is what I wanted to reply;) but of course I told him I was happy to do whatever he wanted. We lined up a good bit back and spent the first 2K weaving in and out of runners, I told him to take it easy if he wanted to but he seemed to be enjoying himself and feeling strong. Just before the 3K marker he spotted the young boy he normally chases and he flew past him so I followed. From there on we kept passing people and we were really enjoying ourselves. The mile splits speak for themselves 7.41, 7.33, 6.40 (5.21) and when we finished he turned round and gave me a huge hug and told me that was his favourite race ever:D “Better than the MSB 5K?” I asked (that’s where he set his PB of 20.56) and he said “Yes, I just really enjoyed that race” I couldnt have been more proud of him:)

Sunday Sept 1st
    Rest Day

Total miles for the week 55.19
    Total miles for August 249.4 (I’m calling that 250:D)
    Total YTD miles 1,287.23

ultraman1 wrote: »
    well done MS,..nice reports,,now to copy and paste and insert

Hope the injury is healing well? If you think of it, it's good timing as you will be very busy processing applications for Donadea 50K over the next few weeks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Marthastew wrote: »
    Thanks, I saw on the 10 Mile thread that you also raced, I hope it went well for you? Is DCM on the cards for you?

Yes, I did this in 78+ mins for a 2.5 min PB. Looking at about 3:45-3:50 for DCM.

Monday September 2nd
    Weight 58.5 kilos
    45 minute Body Pump Class
    Sore lower back so I decided to take a rest day.

Tuesday September 3rd
    45 minute Pilates
    My back was much better today but I ran out of time so no running

Wednesday September 4th
    12.17 miles @8.36 pace
    Fab sunny day for a run, back to the hills of Killiney, feeling strong.

Thursday September 5th
    Cycling approx. 40K to Enniskerry for coffee
    Not exactly a workout we were going so slow but great to be back out on the bike again. The scone and coffee was YUM

Friday September 6th
    75 minute Hot Ashtanga yoga
    Approx. 8 miles @ 8.15 pace
    Mr Stew and I were at a wedding in Leixlip so I decided to check out how long it took to run to Lucan. I was pleasantly surprised to be running through St. Catherine’s Park, so peaceful and quiet and great scenery, got lost a few times and had to up the pace on the way back but I returned in time for a great night. Despite my best intentions I overindulged a little too much but there was plenty of dancing and I escaped to bed just after midnight.

Saturday September 7th
    Griffeen Parkrun 22.02
    Total miles approx. 12
    I had decided that if I wasn’t too wrecked I’d be a parkrun tourist and I woke before my alarm feeling only a little worse for wear. I had a slice of toast and some tea and left in plenty of time to allow for hangover pace and also getting lost. The first mile was so tough 10.15 and I was honestly thinking I’d turn back but I started to feel better as I trotted along. Arrived to Griffeen and was lucky enough to bump into a runner on her way to the start as there are lots of little parks around there. I popped up to say hi to the very friendly organisers and then decided that even though I had already run 5 miles I had to keep moving it was so cold and I bumped into Aimann looking fresh as a daisy despite the fact he has run 10,000 marathons this year;) We lined up a few rows back and away we went. I was pleasantly surprised to feel strong and although I had turned on the Garmin I ran by feel (just fast enough to overtake but slow enough not to throw up after too much wine the night before). Griffeen is a nice flat route, 2 laps of the park but with lots of twists and turns and 2 bridges to cross, we had fortunately been warned that the surfaces of the bridges would be slippy. A nice duel with a GAA jersey in the second lap meant I kept the pace up event though I was tiring and I was pleasantly surprised to be told I was first female finisher as I got to the finish. A quick pose for yet another photo in my Donadea t-shirt (which surely gives me lifetime free entry;)) and I headed back to the hotel in Leixlip to lots of sore heads from all the wedding guests. Smug, moi? You bet I was:D

I was delighted to get a text from a pal offering me free entry to this on Saturday afternoon
    http://www.mountainstosea.ie/2013-Events/thor-gotaas-in-conversation-with-diarmaid-ferriter.html
    And despite the fact I was shattered I really enjoyed it., in fact I was so impressed I bought the book http://www.amazon.com/Running-Global-History-Thor-Gotaas/dp/1861899130 It looks like a meaty read.

Sunday Sept 8th
    13.63 miles @ 8.26 pace
    Rugby all morning with the Stew boys so I had no expectations for this run after such a crazy weekend. I headed out with an open mind thinking I’d manage 6 miles but I was delighted to feel strong and the weather was fabulous. Finished @ 7.30 pace for the last mile and a half, it’s amazing what a good night’s sleep (and a low mileage week) can do for you:)

Total miles for the week 45.8
    Next stop is Athlone Full marathon next Saturday and because I’m not racing it I’m feeling calm and relaxed. I’m going to head out at 7.55 pace and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Marthastew wrote: »
    A quick pose for yet another photo in my Donadea t-shirt (which surely gives me lifetime free entry;)
    r u sure dat wasnt eammos tee shirt.....

Monday September 9th
    Weight 58 kilos (I blame the weekend’s excesses for such meagre loss)
    Rest day
    I spent the day spring cleaning the house and clearing out the clutter, I always get a mad urge to clean in the week before a marathon, maybe it’s nervous energy? Imagine how clean my house would be if I was Aimann?:D

Tuesday September 10th
    Track Session
    10 X 400 with 1 min recovery
    Total of 9 miles covered
    Back to Kilbogget/The National Beer Mile Stadium, it was great to catch up with Racheljev and all the gang. I really enjoyed this session and my splits were very consistent, ranging from 131 seconds to 135, my last rep was 132 and although I was definitely happy that the session was over I felt strong and confident finishing it. I ran to and from the track to make up for the fact that I hadn’t run on Monday. A great confidence booster that my fitness is finally coming back.
    I was on duty in at the Grant Thornton 5K in town in the evening and I got to catch up with lots of club mates while cheering on other club mates and boardsies, lots of PBs despite the congestion and a great evening had by all.

Wednesday September 11th
    Recovery run; 6.2 miles @ 9 min/mile pace
    45 minute mat Pilates
    Back to the lovely hills of Killiney again for a nice easy run and although it was raining to start it was actually very mild.

Thursday September 12th
    75 minute Ashtanga yoga

I might do a few miles tomorrow to loosen the legs although I’m feeling bendy;) and strong at the moment so I may just take another rest day ahead of the Marathon on Saturday. I thought I had escaped taper madness because I’m not racing it but every now and again a little voice in my head tells me that despite only 8 weeks of haphazard training I should race it:eek: After all, if I drink gallons of beetroot juice and eat fields of spinach* between now and Saturday, who knows what I could achieve?;) Common sense is prevailing however and I’m going to run with a pal who is chasing a sub 3.30 marathon
    *Claralara told me her secret weapon is spinach, I’m pretty sure hard work and dedication have a lot to do with it also but for now I’m eating my greens:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck tomorrow Marthastew, weather looks to be perfect and I'm sure you'll have a great one :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have fun champ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck MS!! Might see you on the road tomorrow!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Yep, best of luck with your homecoming run tomorrow!
    (Wouldn't be surprised to see you come home with a new household PB either!;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck tomorrow O. I've a feeling you're going to be finishing very strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Spinach and peppers... Washed down with red wine... taste the rainbow! :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Have a great run stewy and we'll see you after

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Smash it sista!! :D (I know, training run for fun, but I suspect the lack of pressure and element of fun will work in your favor. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

And the ladies winner of the inaugural athlone flatline marathon is...

You know it.....

MarthaStew!
    ... can I get a whoop whoop!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ohforheaven'ssake.....

WHOOP WHOOP!!!!!! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have fun champ

Psychic :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Congrats- great running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done Champ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Wow - well done MS and on home ground too - that must have been extra special !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Super running - homecoming queen..............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice one! Well done MS!

Friday September 13th
    Rest
    Auntie Stew was very kindly moving in for the weekend so Mr S and I were able to head down to Athlone early. Cousin Joe was also running and we called into my aunt on the way to registration Friday evening. Auntie Mae will be 88 years old next month and is as sharp as pin. She was in great form telling us lots of stories from the past and I was surprised to find myself welling up with tears when she was talking about my mum (she and my dad passed away when I was young). I often find I’m on edge in the run up to a marathon and I was obviously more nervous about this race than I previously thought. We sorted our numbers, gels etc. back in the hotel and I kept telling Mr S how happy I was to be running a marathon, my last one was London 5 months ago and it seemed so long ago.

Saturday September 14th
    Flatline Athlone Full Marathon
    After a very successful Half marathon here last year it was clear that this year’s event would grow and a member of Marathon Club Ireland who lives in Athlone asked could they also host a marathon. The organisers opened up 25 places to the public on Facebook with the promise of a no-frills, low-cost scenic marathon and I jumped at the chance. Originally I had thought this would be a goal marathon and I’d be chasing a PB but after a break over the summer I decided I’d run it for fun.
    I managed to get 4 solid hours of unbroken sleep and dozed on off until the alarm went off at 6.30. A nice long shower had me feeling refreshed and ready to go, Mr Stew hardly stirred as I kissed him goodbye and wished him luck on the half, within seconds of his “Good Luck” he was back snoring again, I so envy his ability to sleep so well. I had the buffet breakfast all to myself but of course I wasn’t remotely hungry:( I managed to eat 2 eggs, a croissant and some coffee and away I went. A glorious morning greeted me when I walked out the hotel door and there was a magical mist over the river Shannon as I drove down to St Aloysius School. I was nervous but happy and I couldn’t wait to get started. I met up with a club mate who was also aiming for 3.30 and caught up with lots of MCI members, some of whom I had only met the day before but they all treated me like family. The atmosphere before the start reminded me very much of the New York Dublin marathon as there were similar numbers running and everybody seemed calm and relaxed.
    An excellent pre-race briefing by one of the organisers and they walked us down to explain the turn-around point at the half way mark and then we went back lined up at the Start. Looking around I spotted a couple of contenders for podium positions in the ladies race but I confidently lined up near the front.
    Bang on time the gun went off and we headed off with the sun shining and everybody in good spirits.
    Miles 1 – 13
    7:45, 7:55, 7:46, 7:57, 7:43, 8:09, 8:15, 8:01, 8:03, 7:46 , 7:54, 7:55, 7:39
    Quite naturally the first few miles flew by with us all chatting and laughing, I met some really lovely runners from Athenry and Craughwell. A good few runners overtook us in the first mile and I told Leo my club mate that we’d see some of them again later and he remarked that it would be highly unlikely. I had chatted with a runner called Caroline at the start who had also run in Donadea, she is a fantastic runner and went on the do really well in the 24 Hour race in Belfast, she also overtook us in the first mile and tempted as I was to go with her I decided to stick to my plan and take it easy for the first half of the race whilst keeping her in my sight.
    By mile 3 things had settled down and we were joined by two guys called Mark and Enda, the 3.30 bus was steaming along nicely and I was delighted when my Garmin would beep to see a steady pace. Mile 7 was a little slow but I seem to remember a very slight incline here. All the while I could still see the second female up ahead but we seemed to be reeling her in and mile 8 saw us overtake her, she seemed happy and we wished her well as we went on our way. The next part of the route was along the main Ballinasloe road, not half as pleasant and pretty as the rest of the route and I remarked that it would be difficult to run this section on your own without company in the second half of the race, I’m pretty sure my new found friends were thinking they’d quite like some peace and quiet;) Leo told me he wasn’t sure he would be able to maintain this pace all the way and I told him to stick with it for as long as he could and to stay as positive as he could. Mile 13 was great fun as we arrived back into the town and we got to see the lead marathon runners run back out and also plenty of clubs out warming up, everybody was so positive and our pace naturally picked up with all the encouragement. I told Leo we’d put in a nice easy mile after the turn-around and I glanced at my watch 1 hour 44:D I looked around for Mr S but couldn’t see him. The marshal didn’t know who the lead female was when he asked so he said he was a little concerned for me at the time but he had other things to worry about, namely his own race!
    Miles 14 through 23
    7:48, 7:21 , 7:39, 7:45, 7:51, 7:52, 8:10, 7:57 , 7:55, 7.10
    As we headed back out the road I spotted the second female on her way in and I started to panic a little. Leo had told me to run my own race and not hold back for him so that wasn’t an issue. I caught up with a guy just ahead and chatted with him for a bit, I told him I might push on as the second female was behind and he said to me “She’s a really super runner” so that’s why mile 15 is 7.21:) I figured if I picked it up just enough to get some distance between us I’d be ok, I didn’t look at the Garmin and I ran fast enough to lose her but not so fast that I’d suffer for the rest of the race. I overtook a few guys in the next few miles and after wishing them well and asking if they needed jelly babies I smiled to myself thinking that I was right to tell Leo we’d catch some people later. Originally the prospect of running on my own down country lanes was quite daunting but I was really, really enjoying myself during this part of the race, I was enjoying the beautiful scenery and the occasional local who was out to support and whenever I’d spot a runner up ahead I’d keep them in my sight and reel them in. At mile 17 I passed a cute black cat on the side of the road (Dory, black cats are good luck here in Ireland) and I was on a high at this stage:D Through the bogs in Clonown again and the uneven surface didn’t even bother me I was having so much fun. Looking around I was remembering the trips up here with my uncles and cousins to cut turf and I was really struck by the fact that life is indeed very short, it most certainly did not feel like 35 years since I was pushing a barrow full of turf in those fields:) By now there were marshals on the course in anticipation of the half and it was nice to get some shouts of encouragement. I wasn’t looking at the Garmin and every time it would beep I’d almost be shocked to see another mile on the clock. I felt myself flag a little during mile 20 so I took on my last gel after that (I already had 2, each of them at mile 6 and 12 and I had 2 jelly babies at mile 17).The stretch along the main road was indeed tough the second time round but as I turned the corner a marshal informed me I was lead female and I thanked him and perked up nicely. Mile 23 was a delightful 7.10 partly because of a sugary gel rush and partly because I overtook 2 more runners.
    Miles 24 to finish
    7.21, 7.33, 7.31, (6.44 pace for the last .27 of a mile)
    With 3 miles to go I told myself that was just a parkrun and I was quite honestly beaming with happiness, over the summer I’ve run a few parkruns with the youngest junior Stew and I imagined he was running along beside me with a big smile on his face. I was meeting the occasional supporter and they were all so nice telling me I looked strong. Just before the turn back onto the course again I spotted a cute robin flying along beside me and the marathon crazies kicked in for a small bit because I could hear my mum and dad telling me to push on and finish strong:D I allowed myself a few tears and I pulled myself together as I rounded the corner with Athlone in sight and only 1K to go. I spotted a runner a good bit up ahead who was walking/running and my first thought was to feel sorry for him, he was obviously having a tough race and then I’m ashamed to say my next thought was the fact that I could gain another place on the finish list so I picked it up and managed a thumbs up as I passed him. A marshal told me there was 600 metres to go and I was bursting with pride as I headed for the finishing chute. Not too many supporters there at that early stage but enough of them to cheer me on as I soaked up the feeling of winning a marathon:D:D
    1st Female
    3 hrs 24.32
    14th place overall in a field of 84
    I got a huge big hug from Mick, one of the organisers and the lovely volunteers all cheered and clapped. I waited for my Craughwell friend and we shook hands, he was delighted with his run. I knew I had a bit of time before all my pals would be finishing so I decided to pop in for a quick massage and a catch up with the other runners. Lots of PBs and lots of sore legs for everyone, no PB and (thankfully) no sore legs for me but I think I was the happiest person there:)
    I jumped off the massage table and was delighted to be able to run (yes, run!) out to catch up with lots of happy campers with lots of SUPER DOOPER performances by too many people to name. My main priority was Mr Stew and although I had missed him finishing I caught him in the finishing chute, he was so cute; totally overwhelmed and overjoyed at my (very lucky) win and he completely forgot to be annoyed at his own performance (1.32 for him)
    I got lots of congratulatory hugs and kisses from my wonderful club mates and boardsies but I’m pretty sure Auntie Stew’s famous Rice Krispie buns had something to do with my popularity;)
    We were lucky enough to be staying the night in Athlone so we got to hang around for lunch and the prize-giving and it was a really nice chance to catch up with great friends, some of whom I had only met that day out on the course.

My friends and family are over the moon for me with the win but I keep reminding them that I just got lucky on the day, it was a very small field and I could just as easily have ended up down the list of finishers, there are lots and lots of young fast female runners out there, however I also feel that you can only race whoever turns up and that’s one of the many things I love about racing, you never really know how the race will pan out on the day. September 14th was a very lucky day for me and to get the win in my hometown made it all the more special. The inscription on the back of the Flatline medal sums the day up nicely for me…..

Veni, vidi, vici:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

congrats MS and a wonderful race report as usual!! You deserve all the good that comes your way as you never stop working!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Winning marathons, feeding the masses ... is there nothing you cannot do ! Really - could you not at least pretend that it was hard ... add a bit of drama at least.

Seriously - major congratulations. Winning a marathon : now that's something very very few people get to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Well done, the report was as good as the result.

As one whose grandmother came from Clonown, your report brought back memories of the past just as much as running there on Saturday did.

You have a way with words as good as your running. Congratulations again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

You're too modest MS. You never even told me you won when I asked how it went - I only found out from the lads and I never congratulated you properly so sorry about that! And there was nothing lucky about it - you can only beat the people who show up on the day ;)

Advertisement