Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

What digger said, go out there have a laugh and enjoy one of the greatest races in the whole world....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Have a ball MS - got to be one of the best big-city marathons in the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Best of luck on Sunday. Hope you have a great day out and a great run. No doubt u'll smile the whole way around!

Looking forward to the report!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Have a great day out on Sunday. All the work is done and I'm sure the target is in the bag.
    Will keep an eye out for the Cru top on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Best of luck Sunday. Hope you set your PB. With all the miles who've logged this year, you deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Best of luck this weekend and make sure to enjoy yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Wishing you the most satisfying run of your life.

You are awesome , just keep reminding yourself when the going gets tough .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

good luck on sun.....i think burgundy is the way to go;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck on Sunday. See you for the celebrations in the Coal Hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

All the best for Sunday - looking forward to reading all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Thank you all SO MUCH for the well wishes, I'll use them to help me dig deep when the going gets tough on Sunday.
    I've just finished packing and my flight is at 9 tomorrow morning.
    To say I'm excited would be a huge understatement:D I feel so privileged to be arriving at the Start Line injury free (apart from all the taper madness ailments I'm currently afflicted with) and I've managed to put in some great training so it's all in the lap of the Running Gods now:)

Some of you will know that my lucky/favourite number is 3 (followed closely by 7 and 9) My 2013 VLM race number..... 29371

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Hope you kick ass MS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck O, if everything goes fairly then you will smash out a great time!
    If my poor calculations are correct you have a target of approx 3:12 or so to get one over Diggerlara!
    I'm sure you will in fact be keeping a keen eye on CL's time as you're tearing down the Mall!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey O, it was such a pleasure to meet you Sunday. Thanks a mill for the great company, you really helped ease my nerves. The stroll to the green zone was lovely.

Congrats on a fantastic race and I hope you are enjoying the recovery! Hope to meet you again soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Oh for God sake, will you huuurry up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

April 21st
    London Marathon 2013

A massive, massive thank you to everyone for their support and encouragement over the last few months. It has been a long winter and the long runs and races with you all helped to make things much more enjoyable.

Garmin
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/301699820
    The 5K splits and the info in blue italics are from the London marathon website

Background

All in all I’m very happy with how my training has gone since January. I’ve been lucky enough to PB over 5K, Half marathon and 50K distance so I was heading into London with a very optimistic target of 3.10 (based on McMillan giving me 3.07 from the Half ) I felt that I might be closer to 3.15 but I had decided at the beginning of this year to aim high for all my races, no soft targets anymore. Turns out I aimed a bit too high for this race:eek:

Race Morning
    I had flown into City airport on Saturday morning and after collecting my bib I relaxed for the afternoon, went for an easy 3 mile leg loosener. I snacked throughout the day and drank lots of water and then met up with some fun boards folk for dinner. I slept on and off until about 5.30am and after breakfast I headed down to the Strand to meet up with RubyK, Younganne, Pronator, Krusty and EauRouge, a very short stroll down to Charing Cross and Ruby and I said our goodbyes and headed for the Green Start. We arrived with plenty of time to spare and met lots of friendly marshals and runners. The sun was shining and the birds were singing and we were in great form. The start area was great fun, lots of costumes, music and they had a screen with TV coverage of the elites start. Ruby and I said our goodbyes and I lined up at the front of pen 3. I was relaxed and happy and chatting with lots of really nice runners. The 30 second silence for Boston was almost eerie, we were all chatting and then suddenly you could hear a pin drop. The start of a marathon is always an emotional time for me as it reminds me of how fortunate I am to be strong, fit and healthy and more importantly it reminds me of how lucky I am to have so much support from my amazing family and friends (especially my running friends:D) in achieving my goal. There were tears streaming down my face during the silence as I thought of all the people affected by the Boston bombings, lots of people around me were also visibly moved.

Start – Half marathon
    5k splits 22.35, 22.51, 23.13, 23.21, and 4.55
    I forgot to look at the clock when I crossed the starting mat as I had read a suggestion somewhere that those of us running London could put our hands on our hearts and remember Boston at the Start and the Finish lines, I thought this was a very positive gesture and was determined to at least do it on the start in case I forgot at the Finish. It didn’t feel like it had taken me long to cross so I guessed I had about 30 seconds in the bank. It was extremely crowded for the first 6 miles of the race, but I had told myself not to weave in and out or get too stressed about pace. My plan was to start with the 3.15 pacer and pick it up if I was feeling strong. The 3.15 pacer who had started in our pen (there were a few dotted throughout the pens) caught me at the end of second mile and he seemed to be going at 6.50/7.00 min mile pace, I kept up with him till the end of the 4th mile and at that stage most of us were remarking he was definitely going too fast so I let him go ahead. I started chatting with a really nice girl called Bernie who had moved to London from Dublin aged 10 and she told me her PB was 3.23 and she was going for 3.15 so we ran together for a lot of the race. We’d chat for a while then lose each other at the water stations and then catch each other again. Because the sun was shining so brightly I made sure to grab water at each station, took a few sips from the bottle and then poured it down my back. I took a gel at 6 miles. I was getting a little concerned that my pace wasn’t feeling as easy as it should but I decided to enjoy (later on in the race, endure) each mile as they came along. The support along the route after the first 3 miles was unbelievable and there was music, bands, dancers, so much to entertain the runners and the spectators.
    Songs I heard along the way; “Harlem Shake” which reminded me of Shotgun, “Sweet Caroline” which reminded me of drunken sing-songs, “Insomnia” which reminded me of speed work on my own and “Eye of the Tiger” which obviously had everyone going crazy.
    I took another gel before reaching Tower Bridge and I began to feel myself get tired and wondered when I’d ever get the urge to kick on. The support along the way was building and getting louder and louder and I gained huge strength from the amazing people of London. Constant shouts of “Go Crusaders” (I was proudly wearing my club vest) and “C’mon dahling” and non-stop high fives and cheering. Any time I raised my hands in the air and gave the crowds thumbs up they cheered even more and I was so happy. I’m lucky enough to have run Boston and Chicago so I know what a big city marathon is like but for some reason the crowds in London seemed even more amazing. When I turned the corner and saw London Bridge I shouted “here we go” and the two runners beside me joined me in a huge scream of “Woo Hoo”, the crowds here were 7 deep and this section of the race is a memory that I will cherish for a long time. Turned round the corner and instantly felt exhausted and I was starting to get worried. I was delighted to reach the half way mat and there was yet another DJ playing fab tunes and telling us we were all amazing:) I was happy with the time on the clock Half way at 1.36.55 but I knew at that stage that things weren’t exactly going to plan.
    Half way to 40K
    Splits 18.28, 24.13, 24.18, 24.55 (:eek:)
    My legs were starting to hurt and I was feeling a little nauseous so I started chatting to runners around me and also cheering with the crowds to lift my spirits and distract me. Luckily I was soon provided with a spectacular sight. The route doubles back along this part of the course and the Elite men were on their way. I positioned myself close to the barrier and ran along cheering and shouting at them, I saw Mutai (not sure which one), Kebede and Kipsang and I was just about pinching myself in case I was dreaming. A couple of club members watching at home spotted me on TV at this point! Soon after this I passed a Blues Brothers type band and when I gave them thumbs up he said “we love you, yes you” and pointed at me. The guy running beside me said “they love you” and we joked that I had pulled at the London marathon:rolleyes: One of the coaches from our club had said he’d be supporting and I couldn’t remember exactly where he said he’d be so it was nice to have the distraction of looking out for him. I spotted lots of Irish flags and always yelled “c’mon Ireland” as I passed. I was still taking on water and the odd sip of lucosade sport but I was definitely feeling rotten and really had to force myself to do so. Just as I was starting to give into all the bad feelings I spotted our coach, he had a big sign with “Cru for Life, Release your inner Kenyan” and I was so happy to see him I almost told him I loved him! A big high five and I was on my way feeling good again. My pace quickened for the 16th mile as the support from our coach and some jelly babies kicked in but the feeling good didn’t last too long and I began to get really worried that I had blown the whole race. I started thinking of Rotterdam but even though it was sunny it wasn’t really that hot but I was thinking of how Mr Stew had blown up at Halfway and was wondering if there was something in the water in our house:eek: I met Bernie again and we said if we could hold it together we could still get sub 3.15 although I think we both knew we were lying to ourselves (I looked up her result, she finished in 3.22,a PB) I was now starting to get ideas about stopping and walking and decided it was time to suck it up and dig deep and I forced myself to have another gel. I spotted my coach again at about 19 miles and I nearly started to cry when I saw him, another high five and I was on my way but the Finish Line was now the main thing that was keeping me going. I was really trying to soak up the encouragement from the spectators and as I approached the 20 mile marker a guy shouted to me “C’mon Crusaders, run like the wind” and I spent the next mile repeating run like the wind in my head over and over again. Sub 3.15 was well and truly gone and I now moved to sub 3.19 (Mr Stew’s PB) but I was actually just thinking I’d be happy to finish at all at this stage:eek: I think it was at about 23 miles that we entered a tunnel and all through it there was music playing and speakers with cheering (no spectators were allowed in) and wonderful inspirational signs dig deep…. Be proud….You’re almost there and this gave me a great boost. I told myself I had 5K to go and that I could still get a PB (my PB was during Donadea 50K, 3.22) At this stage the urge to stop and walk was incredible and I haven’t experienced anything as bad since I ran my first marathon. I started telling myself that I was The Irish 50K champion and that walking was not an option! Arriving along Embankment was so wonderful and I managed to look at the London Eye and take a mental picture for memory but my pace was dropping, my head was splitting and my hands were starting to get cold. Even with the slow pace I was still passing some people, I was wishing them well in my head but I was also looking at them thinking “I wish I could walk”. Over final 7 km You passed 271 runners And 51 passed you
    The crowds were incredible here and I was getting cross with myself for being so “me, me, me” and I started remembering the people of Boston and in particular that poor little boy and I told myself that what I was enduring was nothing compared to what his father is now facing into and this really helped me push on a little more. Emer 911 took a photo of me here and let’s just say I’m glad she didn’t post it on Facebook;) All of a sudden a runner stopped right in front of me and I ran into his back, my first thought was “he is so right, I should also stop” but luckily I had already overtaken him, the crowds were screaming at him and I also tried to yell at him, I’m not sure what came out of my mouth or if it made any sense. Finally I was up beside Big Ben and I kept telling myself I was nearly at the Finish Line,
    Final 2 KMs, 11.00
    I saw the sign for 800M and then the sign for 365 yards:D and I was so cross with myself for not being able to enjoy the crowds. I saw a girl wind-milling and I tried to do the same but I couldn’t lift my arms:) As I got closer to the line I could just about see the clock and it said 3.20.XX and I suddenly thought “If I pick it up I could still get 3.19” so I sprint finished (probably 11 minute miles:D) Crossed the line put my hand on my heart, saying to myself “Boston”, stopped my Garmin and boom I was down on the ground. It was finally over….
    Finishing time 3.19.49
    A very nice man helped me up, I was trying to read his name badge but couldn’t see it and I told him I might get sick on him, he was so sweet and told me just to keep moving slowly (he was wisely pointing me ahead of him) I started crying telling him thank you and he was calmly telling me I’d be fine. He pointed out that Richard Branson was beside me and I was nearly blinded by the Branson smile:D as I shook his hand. We kept moving slowly and then I knew I’d be ok because I stopped crying and started to feel happy instead of sick. I said goodbye to my new friend and moved on to the medals. The one thing that struck me was how quiet it was, there weren’t that many people around. Result in Entire Field - 3296th place, Result in Division (WOMEN 45-49) - 34th place, 1292 finishers behind. 2% of finishers ahead.
    For the record, you were ahead of about 86% of men runners.

A lovely lady called Norma put my medal on me and I had to stop myself from hugging her. On to get my chip off my shoe and I was now deliriously happy, I was congratulating every runner I saw, some were as happy as me, some were as exhausted as me. Passing the luggage trucks I was thanking all the volunteers and then they all started clapping for me:D I was so delighted to finally be able to enjoy interacting with the wonderful people of London. I left the finish area and walked slowly back to the Strand. Along the way I realised that I wasn’t feeling very well at all so I was delighted to see the golden arches, Big Mac meal with a shake and lots and lots of extra salt and I was starting to feel human again. After a shower and lots of water to drink I made my way to The Coal Hole where everybdoy was in great form (please see Meno's Beer report for more info:)).

Mr Stew is over the moon for me and was genuinely pleased to see me claim the family PB (by a whole 3 seconds)

I think a lot of people, possibly even me, were losing faith in human nature after the horrific scenes we all witnessed at the finish line of Boston marathon last Monday, a dark, dark day not only in the history of marathons but in the history of our ever changing world. London marathon was a reminder to us all of mankind’s ability to survive and move on.

If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon.

-- Kathrine Switzer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

sob sob... how do you do it woman! (and I'm not talking about running here)
    It was worth the wait....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Definitely worth the wait. Another great performance on the legs (and with the pen).:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats on the (family!) pb. Having been there (repeatedly) I tip my hat to your ability to hold it together over the last few miles ( *cough* Miles!)
    Love the Switzer quote !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

(WOMEN 45-49) - 34th place, 1292 finishers behind. 2% of finishers ahead.

"Crossed the line put my hand on my heart, saying to myself “Boston”,"

Sums you up MS - great running, super report. A real inspiration methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Brilliant performance and brilliant report. Congrats.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

WOW ........ that was definitely up to your usual high standards - running wise and report wise. Massive congratulations :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Well done!

I love the joy that comes across in your race reports - a couple of days ago, I found the two that were nominated last year and it struck me that you always seem to make the most of the experience as well as the race itself. A great example for us newbies to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Well done - Great running when things were tough for you. Worthy of a champ!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well we really have been spoiled for choice the last couple of evenings with reports! :)

A great performance MS and really enjoyed the report! Super! Look forward to catching up next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Inspiring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Well done MS, great stuff especially the PB it's hard to peak for a 50k in feb and a marathon in April but you did a good job. I loved the comment "I'm Irish 50k champ, I can't stop" great stuff :)

Remind me never to get caught in a conversation with you and CL, say it would be hard to get a word in edge ways based on the length of your race reports :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Two things:

1) thank you for putting hand on heart and saying "Boston" at the start and finish.....and,
    2) McDonalds???!!! :eek: You ate at McDonalds immediately after completing the marathon??? You're the 50k Irish champion and you downed a Big Mac meal and shake (was it chocolate?) at McDonalds right after you finished running the London marathon?? Aw jeez....

Well done as usual, you ultra babe you...and congrats on your shiny new PB. :D What's next??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Super race......super report......superwoman!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

I loved reading your report Marthastew! Congrats again on a fantastic achievement :)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    April 21st
    London Marathon 2013

The route doubles back along this part of the course and the Elite men were on their way. I positioned myself close to the barrier and ran along cheering and shouting at them, I saw Mutai (not sure which one), Kebede and Kipsang and I was just about pinching myself in case I was dreaming. A couple of club members watching at home spotted me on TV at this point!
    Exact same thing for me. The elite really distracted me for a few mins, and little did I know my family at home spotted me on telly :o

Soon after this I passed a Blues Brothers type band and when I gave them thumbs up he said “we love you, yes you” and pointed at me. The guy running beside me said “they love you” and we joked that I had pulled at the London marathon:rolleyes:
    this does not suprise me in the least ;):)
    I think it was at about 23 miles that we entered a tunnel and all through it there was music playing and speakers with cheering (no spectators were allowed in) and wonderful inspirational signs dig deep…. Be proud….You’re almost there and this gave me a great boost.
    I can't believe I had forgotten those signs in the tunnel! I guess I was in a bit of a dark place in more ways than one ;) but those signs were greatly appreciated.

(WOMEN 45-49)

Now this can't be the right age category :eek::confused: I'm sure you hear it all the time, but you sooooo much younger!
    2% of finishers ahead.
    What a stat :D

Hope the legs are feeling good again, and no doubt you have been to pilates/spin/40ft dips/godknowwhatelse since arriving home :)

Advertisement