Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed - kids are tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Hope the little man is doing better, and you and Mr Stew are coping with the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Junior's surgery went really well this afternoon:) he is all stitched up and we're going home in the morning. Words can't describe how relieved Mr S and I are:)
    Absolutely no damage to the patellar tendon so his running career is safe;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Great news. So we'll have him back in the club by summer ?

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Great news. So we'll have him back in the club by summer ?

He's looking forward to it:) The first thing he asked the consultant was when he'll be able to get back to his sports:) (5/6 weeks is the answer)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Jeez - glad to hear he's on the mend now - scary few days for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great news!! A great relief for you all.

On a lighter side, He'll be back on track to break the 5km 20min barrier before reaching the age of 12 before ya know it!! :eek::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I think 18:11 is his target :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Glad to hear all is ok MS. Not the sort of taper madness you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Phew! That must be a really great relief for you both! Very scary when things go wrong when they're little. Your biggest job now will be keeping him quiet for the next 5/6 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good news! Glad to hear he is on mend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Glad all's ok again in the stew household! Stressful days to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah that's great news. Although if Jnr Stew is anything like his mama you'll have to strap him to the chair for the next 5-6 weeks! ;)
    Rest? what's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

jcsmum wrote: »
    Ah that's great news. Although if Jnr Stew is anything like his mama you'll have to strap him to the chair for the next 5-6 weeks! ;)
    Rest? what's that?

+1 ^^
    glad all went well with surgery and he's on the mend....

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Came on here to wish MrStew luck at the weekend, but looks like Jnr Stew is/was the one who needed more luck. Sounds like he's on the mend already. Few days off school for him no doubt. Touch wood he's through the worst of it

Hope MrStew gets his just rewards at the weekend. I trust he's put the man-flu drama behind him?!

Came on here to wish MrStew luck at the weekend, but looks like Jnr Stew is/was the one who needed more luck. Sounds like he's on the mend already. Few days off school for him no doubt. Touch wood he's through the worst of it

Hope MrStew gets his just rewards at the weekend. I trust he's put the man-flu drama behind him?!

We came home from hospital yesterday and junior is full of beans and raring to go. He even asked me this morning if there is such a thing as Para-Community Games (he will have to miss out this year:() because he has mastered the use of the crutches:)

Mr Stew has put the manflu drama behind him:) but now his ITB is at him (in fact when the physio in the hospital came to check out junior he said he had to stop himself asking if she had any quick fixes for him:D).
    I keep telling him all these things are taper-madness but he thinks taper madness is only for crazy people (me:)) and that he has a valid reason to be worried. I know he will do amazing on Sunday (a black cat told me so;))

I hope your recovery is still going well, just keep focusing on Chicago and stay positive and before you know it you'll be on that start line in great shape:)

Wishing Mr Stew well for the weekend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Emer911 wrote: »
    Wishing Mr Stew well for the weekend! :)
    +1. Please pass on my best to both the recuperating patient and the patient runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

All the best to Mr Stew. Let us know the news as soon as you do!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck to Mr. Stew. I see taper madness is in full flow !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

The very best to Mr. Stew!! I hope he can get on okay without you looking after him and being both his carrot and his stick. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

As I said whilst he was still in the hop-sital.... He's going to be all the rage dropping the cacks and showing off the scar at Wesley :D:D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    As I said whilst he was still in the hop-sital.... He's going to be all the rage dropping the cacks and showing off the scar at Wesley :D:D

I'm assuming we're talking about Junior here? Mr S gave up dropping his cacks in public a few years ago:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck to Mr Stew Senior for the weekend and best of luck to Mr Stew, junior on the recovery!!
    And best of luck to Mrs Stew for keeping sane (although i fear the damage is already done);) for the next 9 days....

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Good luck to Mr. Stew on Sunday - all will be good come race day!

Total miles last week 38.07

Thursday April 11th
    Track session in Kilbogget Park 4 X 800M
    Total of 8 miles covered
    My first thought on waking on Thursday was that I would not do the session, I woke feeling utterly exhausted despite a good night’s sleep in my own home (although not on my side of the bed, more on that later*). Three nights interrupted sleep in the hospital on a cot bed had definitely taken their toll and I was in no mood for a run. I had expected to wake up full of beans after 3 days of complete rest, I honestly can’t remember the last time I had 3 days with no exercise whatsoever. After 2 strong coffees I came to my senses and decided that a run was exactly what I needed to get my mojo back. I collected my friend and we ran at a very slow easy pace up to the track and did a few more loops to try and get the legs warmed up. It was a great chance to catch up but I really felt tired and I wasn’t looking forward to the session. After our drills I told Maria I’d had an eventful week and that I was tired so I’d see how things panned out. Away we went and I led out thinking (hoping?) I’d be overtaken at any minute, managed to stay upfront but logged a very poor 3 minute 14 for my first lap. I thought I might warm up a little on the next few laps but I just didn’t have it in me. 3 min 14, 3 min 17 and 3 min 12 I was unnecessarily disappointed with myself afterwards but I’m putting that down to tiredness.

* The man who says he doesn’t suffer from taper madness has been sleeping on my side of the bed as he says it’s better for his joints (he discovered this while I was in Tallaght with junior) he is not entirely crazy as we have one of those beds with different mattresses on each side.

Friday April 12th
    Trip to chiropractor
    45 mins foam rolling and stretching
    Mr S had taken the day off ahead of his trip to Rotterdam and Love is… taking your husband to the gym and calming his nerves by helping him stretch out his tired legs. I was also in much need of some stretching, the chiropractor said that although I was doing ok I could benefit from a sport’s massage (booked for Tuesday) and lots and lots of stretching.

Saturday April 13th
    5.29 miles @ 7.48 pace (with 8 X 100M strides)
    I dropped Mr Stew to the air coach and managed to sneak in a nice run in the sunshine before the rain came down. Spent an hour in the lashing rain cheering on Junior 2 in a rugby blitz (no injuries, just lots of muck:D)

Sunday April 14th
    13.13 miles @ 8.32 pace
    I woke early in time to call Mr Stew before he headed off on his adventure in Rotterdam. I was listening to the most recent Marathontalk podcast (full of very useful advice for race week) and by the time I headed out the door the rain had stopped and the sun was out so this should have been another one of my “Glad to be alive” runs but if I’m honest it was more of a “meh” run (as Digger would say). At no point did I feel like taking off and upping the pace, in fact I spent most of the run chasing the demons that were telling me my goal in London is way too ambitious:(

Total miles for the week 26.42:eek::eek:
    A tough week with Junior’s visit to Tallaght, I’m definitely still tired and although I thought I had avoided the taper crazies they’re here with a vengeance;) However I’m sure that a few good night’s sleep and lots of healthy food will have me back to myself and before long I'll be jumping in the sea and drinking Mocha-choco-chinos:D:D

Mr Stew’s Rotterdamnation:( 3.26.09
    All the while I was running this morning I was imagining Mr S flying round the streets of Rotterdam with a big smile on his face and crossing the finish line with a PB in his pocket, alas it was not to be.... He phoned me when he got back to his hotel and I knew straight away by the tone of his voice that he hadn’t achieved his gaol. I had been somewhat worried by the manflu and the consequent 2 week break from running and I also thought he might still be tired from our ordeal with junior but rather than give him anything to worry about I focussed on all the positives and he was very confident going into this marathon as his training had gone really well. He said that the first few miles weren’t too bad and he stayed on 7.10 pace but at 8 miles he began to feel like he hadn’t got it in him, he knew this was way too early to be feeling this way but he managed to more or less maintain pace until half way and then things began to slow down. He really wanted to drop out and questioned whether or not there was any point finishing at all, he found the second half of the race agonising and although he finished in a time that he would have bitten your hand off for before he ran Berlin last September he is disgusted with his race. I imagine that when the dust settles and he gets a good night’s sleep he will realise he was one of the lucky ones today. I’m absolutely gutted for belcara, beepbeep, blockic and Maria McCambridge; like Mr Stew they all put in phenomenal training and were destined for great races, unfortunately today just wasn’t the day for it.

It’s safe to say the Stews won’t be booking Rotterdam as our Spring marathon next year;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

so disappointed for Mr. Stew. It's a horrible feeling to have, especially so early in the race.and it's not like the work wasn't put in.

Pass on our best to him O. Sounds like it was a mare of a run for most of the irish crew today. But he finished and in a (very) reasonable time.
    There will be other marathons...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Sorry to hear about Mister Stew, sounds like a proper awful day over there for it today - hope he is out and about over there relaxing and having a few to start the recovery process..

Advertisement