Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

sister gave me a loan of her starlet for a month, there a good few years ago, t'was surprisingly thirsty but at the time it was 98 cent a litre so, t'wasnt too bad at all on the pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

CianRyan wrote: »
    We're some country for the bad place names. :p

Welcome to Muff Crescent, Nobber :pac:

Oblig car
    NCT till Oct, 650

According to the seller, painted by Stevie Wonder :cool::pac:
    Full?id=17400401

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

RoverJames wrote: »
    ..... I reckon he was looking for some mpg data :)
    It was a good few years ago now since I drove a starlet so I can't remember exactly what the mpg was, but I do remember that it was fairly heavy on the juice compared to a relatives corolla e11 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can't agree with that. Must've been a dud starlet

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I can't agree with that. Must've been a dud starlet
    No it was a lovely clean genuine car and very well maintained. Any one i've ever asked that had one all say the same that they have very poor fuel consumption.

• Advertisement

http://www.motostat.eu/vehicle-stats/33602

all getting around 6.5 to 7.5l per 100 km, not so great, but other sites have put out 43 mpg, dont know if thats U.S Gallon or what

padma wrote: »
    http://www.motostat.eu/vehicle-stats/33602

all getting around 6.5 to 7.5l per 100 km, not so great, but other sites have put out 43 mpg, dont know if thats U.S Gallon or what
    Parkers have it down as 43mpg but must have the wrong figures as they are basing it on a 74bhp engine which would of been the old 12valve unit in the older generation starlet. I was definatley not getting 43mpg anyway.

Edit: The link you posted are figures for a 1994 older generation starlet which has the older 74bhp 12 valve engine aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Parkers use the 1332cc engine, isn't the 12v engine 1299 or so?
    That engine was 74hp anyway
    Corolla was 87hp

Pretty sure the glanza s had the same hp as the corolla

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Parkers use the 1332cc engine, isn't the 12v engine 1299 or so?
    That engine was 74hp anyway
    Corolla was 87hp

Pretty sure the glanza s had the same hp as the corolla
    Your actually correct there. I always tought the had around the same bhp:rolleyes:

was a 92 starlet i was driving, old gold one.

• Advertisement

was a 92 starlet i was driving, old gold one.
    Those had the old 12valve engine. The one you had probably was a 1.0 as well? Anyway they were great car that generation starlet.

I remember her buying it for 150 pound Irish around 1999, she sold it for 1250 around 2004, she'd good Luck with that car.

I remember her buying it for 150 pound Irish around 1999, she sold it for 1250 around 2004, she'd good Luck with that car.
    Now that's real bangernomics :p

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Now that's real bangernomics :p
    Not going off topic but I remember the seller. Comes out of his house. 1st thing he says I won't take a penny less than 200 for it. :):) happy days.

1999 1.8 Celica (last of the good looking ones imo :pac: ), NCT until Jan '14, asking €950 :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4538904

View2-17368154.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

RoverJames wrote: »

..... I reckon he was looking for some mpg data :)
    Indeed! From the info contained in this thread, the hierarchy of "fair thirsty" appears to be:
    corolla e11 45mpgish
    Nissan sunny 1.4 44mpgish
    Starlet 37mpgish
    Mazda 323 1.5 32mpgish
    mazda mx3 1.6 25mpgish

I'm stressing the ish, and drawing on other peoples experiences here, so ifanyone has different numbers for day to day use let us know. The Sunny is the only figure I can vouch for.

728 looking like an eco option!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Here's a bangernomics story for ye all I reckon. A very good friend of the family was struggling back in 2010, job gone etc so he sold his C Class Mercedes and bought a 99 Nissan Micra for €900 off some old dear with 44k miles on it.

The car itself was sound mechanically and he thought he'd use it for a few months to tide him over. Ended up keeping it right up until last week. The NCT was due and without it even setting foot near a garage, it passed first time with a new disc on it and 57k miles.

Sold it last week for €1100. Now that's bangernomics. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

€1100 is crazy :eek:

Did the social pay for it?

unkel wrote: »
    €1100 is crazy :eek:

Did the social pay for it?

I thought it was high alright but he had it looking for €1250 having put the ad up on Saturday night. First phonecall on Sunday morning who came to view the car and bought it for €1100 cash.

in fairness as a starter car you can't beat it and with low miles, fresh test and low tax insurance etc. Factor in the reliability, ignore the reg plate and its a very good buy IMO.

He was happy enough with what he got for it. 3 years trouble free driving paying for tax fuel servicing and insurance and he came out with €200 more than what he paid. Excellent work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

langdang wrote: »
    Indeed! From the info contained in this thread, the hierarchy of "fair thirsty" appears to be:
    corolla e11 45mpgish
    Nissan sunny 1.4 44mpgish
    Starlet 37mpgish
    Mazda 323 1.5 32mpgish
    mazda mx3 1.6 25mpgish

I'm stressing the ish, and drawing on other peoples experiences here, so ifanyone has different numbers for day to day use let us know. The Sunny is the only figure I can vouch for.

728 looking like an eco option!
    00 626 2.0 petrol, ciria 28 to 30 mpg
    '97 e200 2.0 petrol is the exact same if not ever so slightly better over a long run, :-$

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

cadaliac wrote: »
    00 626 2.0 petrol, ciria 28 to 30 mpg
    '97 e200 2.0 petrol is the exact same if not ever so slightly better over a long run, :-$
    While not on list of cars above,it is a bangernomics car, I was getting significantly better average mpg from a 626 estate. Geared for cruising, closer to 40 is perfectly achievable without any hypermiling sheet. I was specifically interested in putting average figures on the "not light on fuel" starlet, the "thirsty" 323 and the "fair thirsty" mx3.

Don't wanna drag it too far off topic but if any of these bangernomics regulars are inordinately thirsty it would be good for people to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Not strictly Bangernomics, as I wouldn't buy it myself, but I've no idea where else this would fit in. Posting because of interesting video. Seems like a decent ad in fairness. Stands out. Not keen on the alloys, but easily sold or swapped.

E36 318 Estate, leather, alloys, NCT 7/13, Taxed (doesn't say for how long), loads of extras.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4233301

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Not strictly Bangernomics, as I wouldn't buy it myself, but I've no idea where else this would fit in. Posting because of interesting video. Seems like a decent ad in fairness. Stands out. Not keen on the alloys, but easily sold or swapped.

E36 318 Estate, leather, alloys, NCT 7/13, Taxed (doesn't say for how long), loads of extras.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4233301

Hats off to them, they went to a bit of trouble making that video alright. Looks well done. Still despite the video the asking price seems a bit on the strong side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Big clock. Looks well minded though. What would you give. I think its easily worth a grand and probably a bit more, 12-1300 if you had to.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4548440

View2-17423026.jpeg

I reckon the seller will get €1700 no bother for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Am I right in saying its a BMW diesel engine in that Rover? Not entirely sure whats putting the idea into my head. I'm sure I could be wrong too...

Am I right in saying its a BMW diesel engine in that Rover? Not entirely sure whats putting the idea into my head. I'm sure I could be wrong too...

Yep you're spot on there.

2003 Maxima with almost 12 months test and almost 3 months tax, manual and not leathered up and asking €1950 but looks very very very fresh...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4471004

View2-17032288.jpeg

2004 Carisma with NCT until May 2014, unspecified mileage but only asking €1250, drivers door damaged as per pics....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4477294

View2?id=17294961

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

With an apparently way better Mitsubishi turbo.

• Advertisement

There was someone on here who used to maintain there was huge engine difference between the 2.0 in BMW 3 series and the engine that found it's way into 75s/ZTs, when questioned sweet feck all detail followed :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement