Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I'd be very, very weary of the everything in those :pac:

Even more so when the owner called themselves after the car :pac:

Oblig voiture

NCT till Jan, 1100

Tax till April, not a taxi :)
    Full-17476572.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Fresh looking Saab 95 wagon in Waterford - €1000

auto, 2l petrol -

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4304826

View2-16241309.jpeg

Short test though and miles a little high i think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Looks fun, wanted one of those as my first car but alas..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Usually I don't post cars with no NCT, or just less than 3 months NCT (which means it was tested, failed and it's not a cheap fix) cars.

But I'll make an exception for this NCTless italian

Lancia Delta HF Turbo (not an integrale but hey) 1800

As an aside, I dunno is the weary/wary & loose/lose thing just a running internet joke, some kinda ironic thing or what but it's driving me mental

On a more practical bangernomics route - cheap, reliable but no Charisma - 1200

EDIT - just saw the cloverleaf, lets club together there lads and buy up the cloverleaf and the lancia for an italian race day :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4561436

just going to put this here. no tax, no test but looks like a cool car for not much money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

How dead do you think I'd be if I spent my holiday spending money on that? :p
    Oh god, I'd love to buy it and give it a heart transplant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

dgt wrote: »
    NCT till Aug, 750

2 for the price of 1!

I read the headgasket goes on these at 100k miles... wonder how this pair stack up? Also, any other cheap cheap Estates, let me know! Need one for a couple of trips to the UK.

Here is my contribution, 223k mile Turbo Forester with Matt wrap:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4374400

Just serviced, needs next Service in June is confusing though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I read the headgasket goes on these at 100k miles... wonder how this pair stack up? Also, any other cheap cheap Estates, let me know! Need one for a couple of trips to the UK.

Here is my contribution, 223k mile Turbo Forester with Matt wrap:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4374400

Just serviced, needs next Service in June is confusing though..

If thats the car I think it is its hard a very hard life in the last month or so..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

If thats the car I think it is its hard a very hard life in the last month or so..

Really, how so? Guys says it drives perfect etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

In fairness, the same asshat says it's a TDI BMW with MIVEC transmission.

I've heard the same about the 2.5 engines in those legacies/outbacks. Pity, the 2.5 would be more suited IMO to them than the 2.0 power/torque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

I have no doubt it drives perfect and its been well looked after. The guy is a mechanic and he knows his cars, but he rallies the feck out of that thing and everything else he owns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Eastern European seller, not a native English spealer is my guess. Nothing wrong with that :)

there was one of them ingises in our yard for a while, got from an east european, a neat little bowley, never gave a squeak of trouble.

barura wrote: »
    And a berlingo 1.9 diesel passenger version for 650 with 3 months test.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4555834

View2-17457891.jpeg
    i assume that they have the familiar french car probs

If it wasn't commercial and if it was petrol I'd buy it
    when you visit the tax office to tax it, they will change it to private immediatly, you then have to argue with them that the doe is valid for twelve months, as the nct crowd will want you to nct it immediatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4561436

just going to put this here. no tax, no test but looks like a cool car for not much money :)

Lovely machine. I'm pretty sure it looks black though and seems to be registered as green!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

flutered wrote: »
    i assume that they have the familiar french car probs

Like?

That is a great engine fitted to a no frills car.

It shouts WIN to me to someone who wants cheap no nonsense motoring with added space

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

ba_barabus wrote: »

Like?

That is a great engine fitted to a no frills car.

It shouts WIN to me to someone who wants cheap no nonsense motoring with added space
    At that mileage, the back axle could be worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Lads whats the consensus on a 1.4 bora? Buying my first car in a few weeks/month and would like to know about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

quick question why are those meganes sooo cheap thats 2 recently, the brother in law has one for years never had an issue with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Lads whats the consensus on a 1.4 bora? Buying my first car in a few weeks/month and would like to know about them.

A lot of people on this forum slate the 1.4 bora and its octavia counterpart for being a slow and thirsty car. I drove a 1.4 bora and while it was certainly no rocket it was more than capable of keeping up with the traffic. Wasn't driving it for long enough to pass judgement on the fuel economy though.

Reliability wise many here don't have so good a word on that engine either. I suppose a lot will boil down to how well it was maintained and looked after.

Me personally, if I was buying a car in that bracket I'd be more inclined to look towards the likes of a Corolla/ Mazda 323/ Mazda 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

A lot of people on this forum slate the 1.4 bora and its octavia counterpart for being a slow and thirsty car. I drove a 1.4 bora and while it was certainly no rocket it was more than capable of keeping up with the traffic. Wasn't driving it for long enough to pass judgement on the fuel economy though.

Reliability wise many here don't have so good a word on that engine either. I suppose a lot will boil down to how well it was maintained and looked after.

Me personally, if I was buying a car in that bracket I'd be more inclined to look towards the likes of a Corolla/ Mazda 323/ Mazda 3

Cheers for the reply.

I'd like the economy to be on the decent side anyway. Not too keen on the shape of the 323. Started off wanting a corolla but now I have just gone off them even though they have impeccable reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

No, it's just a piece of garbage, regardless of how well it was maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you get a good one you're on a winner if you Get bad one you're on a loser.

I've been through a few, got my brother in law one two years ago, he's put 30k miles on it with basic servicing (now 150k) and he gets just over 40 mpg on his round trip to work.

They're plentiful so parts are easy get. .most of the 1.4s burn oil, so if its very rattle walk away. Also if its hesitant or smelly walk away.

Just go look at a few and you'll quick understand the difference between a good and a bad one. Budget wise you might get yourself a properly decent one for just over 2k.

Also, to point out the obvious, they share a lot with the Mk4 Golf.

If you pick any out in particular just post up and we can advise on a car by car basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

quick question why are those meganes sooo cheap thats 2 recently, the brother in law has one for years never had an issue with it

Really? I had one for 2 years and the bloody thing broke my heart with numerous serious problems. It was diesel though. It was my first car and every car I've had since have being away way better in practically every regard despite them all being very run of the mill cars.

I suppose to answer your question what makes them cheap is their poor reliability or at least people perception of them being unreliable. Are they really notably cheaper than comparable models though?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

My sister in law had one for a year and she rarely had a month where it was not in the garage, its cost her a fortune... Avoid !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Fuh Q wrote: »
    My sister in law had one for a year and she rarely had a month where it was not in the garage, its cost her a fortune... Avoid !!

My sister had a 1.4 Golf, and I could wright a book on it..

First engine failed @ 98k. Got a 'good' engine from a crashed car, only 68k on it from car that was only a few years old. It didn't last 12 months, and was an alcoholic on oil.

Also various other problems with the car - gearbox, cat, steering rack..

Up there with Ladas IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

shaaane wrote: »

Funny spec. 3l, manual and no leather. And what is the real mileage / how old are those pics?

I like it anyway :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement