Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

RoverJames wrote: »
    If the mileage is genuine I doubt its an ex AGS vehicle, someone might have wanted USB or some other stereo option :)

Can't think of anyone else who bought 2.0 LX though, weren't they a Garda special. It's not an import by the reg anyway, too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

NCT till Sept, 1400

Taxed till July
    Full-16725128.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

dgt wrote: »
    Do the chinese yokes have a Suzuki badge on the steering wheel? :confused:

Toyota clocks too, AFAIK.

Shameless Smart car clone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can't think of anyone else who bought 2.0 LX though, weren't they a Garda special. It's not an import by the reg anyway, too early.

That looks like cruise control on the steering wheel. On an LX :confused:

• Advertisement

Sombody please buy this just to be ironic :D My love of crap cars is almost making me press the button on this one. Its soooo bad its good :p

http://carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=878783&r=s.php%3Fd%3D500%26e%3D1000%26g%3D9

878783-m7125905.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Toyota clocks too, AFAIK.

Shameless Smart car clone.

I don't think the clocks look like Toyota clocks. The air vents though look like they've been lifted straight from a ford focus imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Was about to post this
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4407899

Then I saw the radio missing, and I thought, 'ello elo' what's going on here then, then the pic of the engine 'duratec he' hmmmm, I thought, 'doesn't look like a 1.8 zetec to me'

Cartell check
    Registration 04D2367
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description 2.0 LX 5DR 51
    Fuel Type PETROL

Ex Garda car if I ever saw one.

I wouldn't be so sure tbh, for the reason that nearly all Garda Fords are saloons. I don't think I have ever seen them in a hatchback mondeo, although the reg plate and colour does scream garda motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Saab Ed wrote: »

its also in dreamer of the year as well

• Advertisement

Few hundred euro tops, pity its not a vitesse though. Best wishes to the owner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

99 Primera €495

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4407638

View2?id=16723853

ABS light is on though...could be a cheap fix.

I know the guy who owns this but am nothing to do with the sale ;), 1 owner from new, full service history, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

One owner from new who has his car meticulously serviced doesn't strike me as someone who would do nothing about an ABS warning light staying on...

I'd offer full asking price if the owner puts it through the NCT (can be done now) ;)

unkel wrote: »
    One owner from new who has his car meticulously serviced doesn't strike me as someone who would do nothing about an ABS warning light staying on...

I'd offer full asking price if the owner puts it through the NCT (can be done now) ;)

Indeed AFAIK it was sent to the garage to be looked and the mechanic said it could be one of 3 things (and charged for the privelege) :rolleyes:

It would surely fail the NCT on the ABS light though ? :confused:

I'd take it off his hands if I had the room ;)

It would surely fail the NCT on the ABS light though ? :confused:........

Yep.

Does the ABS light extinguish after start up and come back on once rolling or does it not extinguish at all?

Yep.

Does the ABS light extinguish after start up and come back on once rolling or does it not extinguish at all?

Not sure RJ I think it stays on the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Sombody please buy this just to be ironic :D My love of crap cars is almost making me press the button on this one. Its soooo bad its good :p

http://carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=878783&r=s.php%3Fd%3D500%26e%3D1000%26g%3D9

878783-m7125905.jpg
    I've seen much much worse. She's with a dealer, she seems pretty clean (though that side mounted air freshener worries me a little)
    Plus the tax is more then the car in a year.

Indeed AFAIK it was sent to the garage to be looked and the mechanic said it could be one of 3 things (and charged for the privelege) :rolleyes:

That's not diagnostics, that is not good enough. Pity he already paid :(

Could be a lot of different things. Everybody always says it's just a wheel speed sensor. But that is best case scenario. And even then it might be hard to remove the old sensor. Personally I wouldn't risk investing €495 of my hard earned on what could very well be just a tonne of scrap :)
    It would surely fail the NCT on the ABS light though ? :confused:

Yes it would fail. More worrying is that most people seem to care more that it would fail the NCT rather than that their fukcing brakes ain't working as designed? :confused:

BTW I had a '95 1.6SLX hatch a very long time ago. Not without trouble (surprising for a nearly new Japanese car) but the engine is free revving and the ride / handling are surprisingly good for a Japanese car :)

That's not diagnostics, that is not good enough. Pity he already paid :(

Could be a lot of different things. Everybody always says it's just a wheel speed sensor. But that is best case scenario. And even then it might be hard to remove the old sensor. Personally I wouldn't risk investing €495 of my hard earned on what could very well be just a tonne of scrap :)

Yes it would fail. More worrying is that most people seem to care more that it would fail the NCT rather than that their fukcing brakes ain't working as designed? :confused:

BTW I had a '95 1.6SLX hatch a very long time ago. Not without trouble (surprising for a nearly new Japanese car) but the engine is free revving and the ride / handling are surprisingly good for a Japanese car :)

Agreed I told him his mechanic a useless cnut :mad:

The brakes are working fine as far as stopping is concened :) and cars still being used the problem arose about a month ago...hes got another car there and doesn't want to put money into it as he's not mechanically technical.

Its an SRI model with alacantra seats....I sound like a shill here :P...but I've no ties to this sale ;)

• Advertisement

On a €400 car? Meh. Just drive it for 4 months, NCT it.

Best case scenario -> keep driving it or sell it for twice what you paid for it :D

Worst case scenario -> sell it for scrap...

And then buy your next bangernomics...
    ............. Personally I wouldn't risk investing €495 of my hard earned on what could very well be just a tonne of scrap :)

My sentiment too but you didn't seem to apply that logic to a €400 Mondeo :)

Don't be digging yourself a hole, RJ, suggesting my posts were inconsistent ;)

The Mondeo could very well pass the NCT (what did you base your suggestion about failing emissions on anyway?). On the other hand the Primera was certain to fail the NCT with the ABS light on.

I'm not saying either is a good / bad buy at €400. Hell, I'm not saying anything of the sort. I sold a Rover 75 with severe parking damage and a severe coolant leak (at best, could be worse than just a coolant leak) for €400 on donedeal and they were biting my hand off for it. Money in hand within an hour of putting it up for sale :eek:

Don't be digging yourself a hole, RJ, suggesting my posts were inconsistent ;)

The Mondeo could very well pass the NCT (what did you base your suggestion about failing emissions on anyway?). On the other hand the Primera was certain to fail the NCT with the ABS light on. ...........

I'm not digging any hole ;)

1.8 Mondeo engines are well known to absolutely guzzle oil, it's not rare by any means. Cat would be effectively useless. From your post on the matter and your query now I'm thinking this is perhaps news to you.

I didn't suggest it would fail the emissions btw, I mentioned I'd get it on a gas analyser prior to buying it, my logic being I wouldn't splash €400 on potential scrap.

Why the dramatics though? Even a sh1te engine is not gonna fail just like that.

My mother in law bought a new Octavia 1.4 10 years ago and it has probably he crappiest engine in recent history. Drinks more oil than I drink wine (well almost :D). She never checks the oil and the low oil light has come up many a time. Usually it then is topped up (after a while) with whatever oil is around.

The car is still driving and it is still passing NCTs ;)

Why the dramatics though? Even a sh1te engine is not gonna fail just like that..........

What dramatics?

Fail just like that? If an engine has been run on low oil repeatedly the chances of it giving up the ghost increase, it won't be just like that as its been warning someone for quite a while.

You're making loads of assumptions about that Mondeo. Dramatic ones about catastrophic engine failure. That's why I called dramatics :p

There is nothing to suggest that particular car has an engine about to go boom

I'm actually a bit taken back it is you coming up with these assumptions / paranoia. You of all people have had to deal more than most of us with people repeating pub talk sh1te about HG failure in Rovers :)

Why the dramatics though? Even a sh1te engine is not gonna fail just like that.

My mother in law bought a new Octavia 1.4 10 years ago and it has probably he crappiest engine in recent history. Drinks more oil than I drink wine (well almost :D). She never checks the oil and the low oil light has come up many a time. Usually it then is topped up (after a while) with whatever oil is around.

The car is still driving and it is still passing NCTs ;)

Rover James has a point about that Mondeo. Someone I know had a focus a few years back that was burning oil in one of the cylinders. This didn't bother them too much as the car was driving fine however after a while the cat got damaged and blocked the exhaust. In the end the only proper solution was to rebuild the engine.

You're making loads of assumptions about that Mondeo. ........

The asking price was €400, you sold a sh1tter of a rover 75 for the same amount of money.

I'm not assuming anything about the Mondeo, I mentioned I'd get it on a gas analyser before spending €400 on it, what I didn't at the time mention was why.

If anything you are the one assuming it would last 4 months :)

99 Toyota Avensis Nct 7/13 Tax 05/13 84k miles 980 euros

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4407017

• Advertisement

The asking price was €400, you sold a sh1tter of a rover 75 for the same amount of money.

I'm not assuming anything about the Mondeo, I mentioned I'd get it on a gas analyser before spending €400 on it, what I didn't at the time mention was why.

If anything you are the one assuming it would last 4 months :)

I thought you digged bangernomics but maybe not. The game on the very lowest end of bangernomics is to spend NOTHING apart from buying the car. By all means, get the seller to pay for whatever test (NCT) you wish for, but it is ridiculous to suggest spending €30 or €40 on a pre-buy test to be honest.

If you reckon there might be problems with a certain engine / car, just get another one. Plenty of fish left in the sea and all that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement