Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Ah fella's c'mon less chit-chat, moar bangers! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Serious business though, bangernomics ;)

Some of us like RJ and I have been at it for some time. I transport my family of 5 (3 young kids) in my 1k Saab. Which is a solid and safe car. This thread is a lot more than just putting up donedeal ads. In my humble opinion. :)

unkel wrote: »
    I thought you digged bangernomics but maybe not. The game on the very lowest end of bangernomics is to spend NOTHING apart from buying the car. By all means, get the seller to pay for whatever test (NCT) you wish for, but it is ridiculous to suggest spending €30 or €40 on a pre-buy test to be honest.........

€30 or €40 to get an emissions test done? Are you well?

Imo it's ridiculous to expect people selling cars with little NCT left to NCT them and than sell them to you for the unNCTd price, that strategy seems to be a favourite of yours in this thread, can't see it happening beyond the keyboard in many cases.

Your opinion on me digging bangernomics or not is largely irrelevant to be fair, my motoring history paints that picture fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

RoverJames wrote: »
    €30 or €40 to get an emissions test done? Are you well?

I have no idea, it's probably a lot cheaper outside of Dublin? :p How much did you pay for your last one?
    Imo it's ridiculous to expect people selling cars with little NCT left to NCT them and than sell them to you for the unNCTd price, that strategy seems to be a favourite of yours in this thread, can't see it happening beyond the keyboard in many cases.

Aye, I'm guilty as charged. I'm an opportunist when it comes to buying bangernomics cars and I do seem to get my way. Very few people buying large petrol cars (just me it seems) and many of them selling.

unNCTd price and full 1 year (or 15 months even) NCTd price are the same these days, don't you know? ;)
    Your opinion on me digging bangernomics or not is largely irrelevant to be fair, my motoring history paints that picture fairly well.

That's what set me back. You've great history buying very good value for money cars, but maybe you're going a bit soft? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

NCT till Dec, 650

Taxed till May, has a "scrap" on the rear arch...
    Full-16736403.jpeg

NCT till Oct, 600

Full-15894133.jpeg

Discuss :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Seeing buckets of "bargins" with a little less than 3 months NCT left.
    I wonder why that is!
    Lotta crap ads out there, nothing jumping off the page at me today in munster - a few potential bargains but no nct, no mileage specified etc etc

Windy windows (so probably lacking in airbags vs the GLX model, ABS?), and a bit of haggle room maybe, but 12months NCT and 3 months tax
    Mazda 323 00
    Like I said, bit disappointing out there this morning... there was a few Saabs but they nearly need a thread of their own at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The asking price was €400, you sold a sh1tter of a rover 75 for the same amount of money.

I'm not assuming anything about the Mondeo, I mentioned I'd get it on a gas analyser before spending €400 on it, what I didn't at the time mention was why.

If anything you are the one assuming it would last 4 months :)
    You'd honestly spend the cost of a gas analysing test for a €400 car?

I don't think you get the concept of bangernomics.

Quazzie wrote: »

I disagree. I get the concept very well.

unNCTd price and full 1 year (or 15 months even) NCTd price are the same these days, don't you know?

How was the Mondeo's price going to double in a few months so?

Do you honestly think that the owner of car he is selling for €400 is going to give you the car for the afternoon to go perform an exhaust analysis on it? I'd love to see the look on his face if you suggested that to him.

In reality the car costs peanuts. €400 is only a months depreciation for some people, so if you get 6 months out of it for that money then you're doing better than most. You're making ridiculous assumptions based on a donedeal ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

You guys are really annoying and wrecking the thread.

• Advertisement

Do you honestly think that the owner of car he is selling for €400 is going to give you the car for the afternoon to go perform an exhaust analysis on it? I'd love to see the look on his face if you suggested that to him.

In reality the car costs peanuts. €400 is only a months depreciation for some people, so if you get 6 months out of it for that money then you're doing better than most. You're making ridiculous assumptions based on a donedeal ad.

I'll repeat this again for people with difficulty comprehending (that'd be you Quazzie)............ I'm not assuming anything.

I wouldn't consider buying that €400 Mondeo unless I got it on a gas analyser. I also wouldn't have bothered making a phone call on it.

Are you assuming you'd knock 6 months out of it, test expires in April iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I have no idea, it's probably a lot cheaper outside of Dublin? :p How much did you pay for your last one?

Aye, I'm guilty as charged. I'm an opportunist when it comes to buying bangernomics cars and I do seem to get my way. Very few people buying large petrol cars (just me it seems) and many of them selling.

unNCTd price and full 1 year (or 15 months even) NCTd price are the same these days, don't you know? ;)

That's what set me back. You've great history buying very good value for money cars, but maybe you're going a bit soft? :confused:
    You'd honestly spend the cost of a gas analysing test for a €400 car?

How was the Mondeo's price going to double in a few months so?

I'll repeat this again for people with difficulty comprehending (that'd be you Quazzie)............ I'm not assuming anything.

I wouldn't consider buying that €400 Mondeo unless I got it on a gas analyser. I also wouldn't have bothered making a phone call on it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPjUhOxFjl9I12iYD-BlSsSH7dP7mPDf998LVs14BR7IEUH8-5

I'd go and inspect the car, and make a call on it based on my inspection. For €400 it's not going to break the bank if I get the call wrong tbh so I wouldn't bother doing anything more than that, otherwise I risk of costing me more for a bangernomic than it needs to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Yeah lads, I think its fair to say that this squabble deserves a thread of its own by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

i6D9b.jpg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4410593
    No mention of NCT but for the right person might be a bargain.
    Great looking car

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭SEAN_DUB

BillJ wrote: »
    i6D9b.jpg
    Great looking car

I was looking at that car earlier, lovely yolk.
    If only I had the money:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

i6D9b.jpg
    Great looking car

Why would it be in km/h?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

I have the exact same bar a chrome grill and different alloys but everything else is identical -great car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

common conversion. easier in older cars like that where the cluster comes apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

99 Primera €495

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4407638

View2?id=16723853

ABS light is on though...could be a cheap fix.

I know the guy who owns this but am nothing to do with the sale ;), 1 owner from new, full service history, etc.

Talking to him today, 24 hours after advertised, was let go for €350....someone bagged a bargain IMO :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

Gorgeous interior too. I think I'd tire of the modern alloys (no pun intended) and end up converting the engine to something pokier. In other words, I should stay well away from that car! :)

I almost went looking at this one recently, just before the S70 magically appeared on this thread: http://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/5-series/1995-bmw-5-series-for-sale/2195768
    i6D9b.jpg
    Great looking car

Which Saab it it, Unkel? My girlfriend and I are thinking of getting a 9-5, one with a hatch for our 2 dogs. It'd have to have leather interior as we have a toddler and it'd be a bonus if the front seats were heated. Luxonomics?
    Serious business though, bangernomics ;)

Some of us like RJ and I have been at it for some time. I transport my family of 5 (3 young kids) in my 1k Saab. Which is a solid and safe car. This thread is a lot more than just putting up donedeal ads. In my humble opinion. :)

If it doesnt jump out of gear and there isnt a puddle of oil under it then chances are it'll pass atest with some bulbs and a tyre check. Really, 130k is just running one of these in. Coolest entry into bangernomics ....

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Saab/900/900I-2.0/201248211159851/advert?channel=CARS

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

i6D9b.jpg
    Great looking car

I used to have one the same colour with different wheels and without that sumptuous leather :cool:

A sweet car if the HG hasn't gone :)still prefer my one though

This is my old one, I loved it, especially the armrests. :D I'm having the same TDS engine put into my E30 touring over the next couple of weeks. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4206618
    dgt wrote: »

I used to have one the same colour with different wheels and without that sumptuous leather :cool:

A sweet car if the HG hasn't gone :) [SIZE="1"]still prefer my one though [/SIZE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

PRICE DROP!!!
    (If only I was in the market for one...)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4255084

4255084#

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

dgt wrote: »

A sweet car if the HG hasn't gone :)still prefer my one though

Why is the speedo in kms I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

jharr100 wrote: »
    PRICE DROP!!!
    (If only I was in the market for one...)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4255084

4255084#

Is it just me or does it look like the rear tyre on the passenger side is flat? Possible cracked alloy? Or just me being overly un trusting!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Can everyone please stop posting Saabs? I need to hoard my options ;)

• Advertisement

And my silly suggestion for today is .....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2657263

View2-16806804.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement