Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Definately not the nicest colour ever and the mileage is perhaps a tad on the high side for a lot of peoples liking but if it was maintained reasonably it should be good for a while yet. Cheap tax and running costs with the 1.3 litre engine. A couple of months tax left on her too...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4098460

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Just went down to see it. One owner, no service history at all. No history or receipts for the TB being done. Oil leaking from the gearbox. Bulbs gone in the speedo. Thermostat gauge not working. Spare tyre & jack missing.

Thought the engine power could have been better. Had a VRS a few months ago so comparing it to that

Biggest concern would be the leaking gearbox. Would it be costly to repair?

€700 takes it

Absolutely second what Colm said, you'd be mad to pay €700 for that when a much nicer one could be had for a little more. Oil leaking from gearbox could just be a worn seal but still, a big job to fix it I'd imagine.

I'd avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Americana ??:pac:

Yeah, totally. It's the Chevrolet one, I know it looks a bit like a Daewoo..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,130 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Just went down to see it. One owner, no service history at all. No history or receipts for the TB being done. Oil leaking from the gearbox. Bulbs gone in the speedo. Thermostat gauge not working. Spare tyre & jack missing.

Thought the engine power could have been better. Had a VRS a few months ago so comparing it to that

Biggest concern would be the leaking gearbox. Would it be costly to repair?

€700 takes it

LOL!

Three options. One is to sell it for parts. Two is to sell it for scrap. Three is if you do not agree, you should have yourself locked up in a place for mental illness.

unkel wrote: »
    LOL!

Three options. One is to sell it for parts. Two is to sell it for scrap. Three is if you do not agree, you should have yourself locked up in a place for mental illness.

Yep, I feckin' love Alfa's but I couldn't even come up with a convincing argument to buy that 156! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Colour wont appeal to many and bodywork looks a bit patchcy in places but mileage is on the low side and motor tax left on it is worth in excess of €300

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4065950

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

guys, the time has come with my mams octavia. swapping the afm seemed to breathe life back into it thank god :)

its a 99 1.9 diesel, 140k miles with a full service history, half from skoda the rest from a local mechanic. body (red) and interior are in fairly good condition. tax until the end 11/12 and NCT until 07/13. not very high spec, just elec windows and central locking. what would be a good asking price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

guys, the time has come with my mams octavia. swapping the afm seemed to breathe life back into it thank god :)

its a 99 1.9 diesel, 140k miles with a full service history, half from skoda the rest from a local mechanic. body (red) and interior are in fairly good condition. tax until the end 11/12 and NCT until 07/13. not very high spec, just elec windows and central locking. what would be a good asking price?

Probably due a clutch and DMF. €800. Not a skoda fan.

squod wrote: »

nor am i a skoda fan but thats a big asumption to make imo.

personally i thought ask 1200 preparing to take 950-1000?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

nor am i a skoda fan but thats a big asumption to make imo.

personally i thought ask 1200 preparing to take 950-1000?

And you should have no problem getting that either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Volvo S80 2.0 T

5 months Tax, Nct'd and low mileage!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4098503

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭alias no.9

2004 Volvo S60

Tax, test, hide and a very scenic drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

That s60 looks fantastic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Why are 2nd hand Volvos so cheap? Usually you end up spending the savings elsewhere be it tax or insurance or fuel or repairs.
    Where is the catch on Volvos?

flazio wrote: »
    Why are 2nd hand Volvos so cheap? Usually you end up spending the savings elsewhere be it tax or insurance or fuel or repairs.

They are not 1.1l diesels like everyone seems to want at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Brand image i suppose, theyre also not the best looking cars on the road but as far as bangernomics go you cant go far wrong with a volvo!

I think the S80 that i posted is much better value than that S60 on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It's primarily down to image and marketing. They just don't have the same allure as a BMW or a Benz not to mention an Audi or a SAAB. The market is a funny thing and if you care about what your neighbours think a Volvo isn't for you no matter how good the car is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

ION08 wrote: »
    Brand image i suppose, theyre also not the best looking cars on the road but as far as bangernomics go you cant go far wrong with a volvo!

I think the S80 that i posted is much better vale than that S40 on adverts.

I dont know about them not being good looking cars, I personally have a real soft spot for the S80 2006 and onwards exterior and interior. But Volvos do seem to drop in value quicker than most cars considering they have a good reputation for reliability.

ION08 wrote: »

I think the S80 that i posted is much better value than that S60 on adverts.

They are both good cars, but the s80 will have to be nct'd twice before the s60 is due its next one. Plus the s60 is 2 years newer and has leather.
    In fairness there is 130k miles on the s60 against 81 on the s80. If I had 2k this minute I would snap up the s60, but I wouldn't be upset with settling for the s80.

***edit, the s60 is €200 cheaper too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

The s60 guy says he'll take a bit more than 1100 now, !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

NCT till March, 550

520i
    Full?id=15261758

NCT till May, 1250

Diesel but high tax
    Full-15256027.jpeg

NCT till July, 1200

Diesel
    Full-15261656.jpeg

NCT till May, 750

Mwahahahahaha!!!!!!! :D:D:D
    Full-15258574.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd never normally post a Laguna 2. But as everyone knows, as of March 3rd 2005, Renaults weren't total rubbish.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4091915

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd snap up that s60 tomorrow morning if I lived in Ireland, where I live you are looking at €4k for that

I'd snap up that s60 tomorrow morning if I lived in Ireland, where I live you are looking at €4k for that

I'm not surprised you can't get no sleep with prices like that tbh.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

I would wonder does it have a DMF?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,130 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a bit of an assumption. If they lasted 140k miles, who says they won't last another 60k miles?

Advertise for €1,195 and your phone won't stop ringing :D

I would wonder does it have a DMF?

doubt it, the car is a bit of a donkey and did any of the 90bhp models have DMF's, in 1999?.
    unkel wrote: »
    That's a bit of an assumption. If they lasted 140k miles, who says they won't last another 60k miles?

Advertise for €1,195 and your phone won't stop ringing :D

thanks for the advice anyway lads. going to put it up for 1200 at the end of the week when i get a change to give it a good clean for the pictures. to use an overused phrase, its an honest car at the end of the day hopefully it'l go.

NCT till Jan, 1850

I'm pretty sure that it was posted before though....
    Full-15220955.jpeg

NCT till August, 750

Full-15281304.jpeg

• Advertisement

NCT exempt, €1500

Ironically, I saw this exact car parked in Jonesboro on Sunday :D Something for the winter perhaps?
    Full-15285877.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement