Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭aca101

Hi Guys - anyone know if we need to have completed the ACE exam to be admitted? I know they've scrapped it now but I'm just wondering do I need to have it done as I started my contract in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 C1987

In fairness to Reo, he / she was the guy / gal on here that passed his / her mocks earlier in the year so I always thought that he / she would be in with a good chance of placing.

Speeking of which. Why wasn't the place list put up on the CAI website similar to that done for CAP2 this year?

At least that would give us a better idea who this Reo character is!

Place list is up on website, it's in the FAE Statisitcs report if u scroll down

• Registered Users Posts: 25 thetrainee

Does anyone have Sean Murray's email? I cant find it :( Please and Thank you?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

thetrainee wrote: »
    Does anyone have Sean Murray's email? I cant find it :( Please and Thank you?

Google it you will find his practice and use that .

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭RT2010

aca101 wrote: »
    Hi Guys - anyone know if we need to have completed the ACE exam to be admitted? I know they've scrapped it now but I'm just wondering do I need to have it done as I started my contract in 2008.

I asked them already. Apparently the new FAE syllabus supersedes the old ACE exam. So when you do the new FAE, ACE is not required. Hardly much point joining now unless your job hunting is there? Might as well wait until Jan 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

reo49 wrote: »
    I wasn't going to bother posting in this thread again as I really feel for the people who failed and I know some people didn't appreciate my posts in the past, including yourself "Noni"!

However, the above post has really antagonised me. I just wanted to let you know that I am in audit and I not only passed but placed. I am not bragging, I am just merely trying to shoot down your outrageous accusation above. I know a number of other people in audit who also passed APM.

I think that a lot of people from industry may have sat APM and due to the lack of study leave may have fell down which could have affected the pass rate! I am sure this is only one of the many reasons that the pass rate dropped.

+1 to this! I am in audit and did APM, not a bother.

Could be due to the finance masters I did before all this crap but nonetheless I passed and am in audit. I know at least 5 others in my company who do audit and passed APM.

Well done btw Reo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sandy60

C1987 wrote: »
    Place list is up on website, it's in the FAE Statisitcs report if u scroll down

where abouts? cant seem to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭WeeDeee

sandy60 wrote: »

where abouts? cant seem to find it
    I searched for fae 2012 statistics on main chartered acc home page

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

Why is the website such a pain to find anything in? It is such a sh1te design.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sandy60

WeeDeee wrote: »
    I searched for fae 2012 statistics on main chartered acc home page

thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 los27

I failed core. Got a decile ranking of 10. Got yellow across all the subjects. Got sufficiency of 1. What does the sufficiency mean exactly? was hoping someone here could explain. Trying to figure out which subject I went down or if I was just bad across the board!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭katie21

los27 wrote: »
    I failed core. Got a decile ranking of 10. Got yellow across all the subjects. Got sufficiency of 1. What does the sufficiency mean exactly? was hoping someone here could explain. Trying to figure out which subject I went down or if I was just bad across the board!!!

Yes unfortunately I think you must have just been bad across the board. With decile 10 it basically means u are in the bottom 10 of people who sat the core. To have failed due to 1 particular subject you would have got a red in that. I have heard of people in decile 9 with 6 yellows passing. I presume that is due to a lot of people in lower deciles getting 1 red so failing overall meaning people with a worse decile but no reds would have passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 galadrielgal

I wanted to post on here just in case it gave anyone encouragement if they are repeating fae or starting it for the first time:

At cap 2 first sitting I only passed sfma due to lack of preparation but buckled down and passed tax and audit on the repeat but still failed my financial reporting which I had to wait out a full year to resit in the following June.

On this basis I was absolutely certain I would be unable to pass core but I think the following may have been what got me over the line (decile 5, sufficiency 0 in core, decile 2 in elective)

1. In study leave from the very first day I started into timed cases, gave myself the full time to do a paper and then marked myself and wrote advice on where I went wrong and what the examiners had been looking for and tabbed each indicator under which of the six topics it fell.

2. I did the papers in the morning and if there was something technical I couldn't get my head around would take a break and try to learn it and read up on it that evening.

3. I started a timetable after christmas and divided out the fae timetable over evenings and weekends so I had all the technical revision mostly done before study leave. I know a lot of people didnt start this early or claimed they weren't starting this early but after failing at cap 2's I was very low in confidence and wanted to get an early start.

4. I didn't use any notes outside what was provided by the institute and although I worried it was the wrong thing to do I just didn't have time to go back and look at the cap 1 cap 2 syllabus as our lecturers advised.

5. I went to every lecture and left at break or lunch if I felt they were not 'adding value' (to quote Paul Monahan).

6. I checked these boards almost daily, it was nice to know other people had simillar feelings of doom and depression, and picked up a few good tips over the year.

I have no hesitation in saying there are probably a lot smarter people than me that failed this year, and I think I probably would have failed if I had stuck with my old revision method of notes, notes, theory and more notes. So good luck to all repeaters/new students! Worst year of my life but thanks to all the people who provided info on here this year and I agree wholeheartedly that Paul Monahan is the man!:)

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Just turfed out my notes etc...what a surprisingly enjoyable experience.

Ridiculous amount of stuff...at least 10 or 12 trips to the wheelie bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Looking forward to doing that too Nigel. Haven't had a chance to get around to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SashaH

Well ACCA got back to me in the end aswell. I have decided to go down the CPA route. Just found the exam dates in April & August suited me also the choice of electives as well. so ill split them over April & august.

Fingers crossed ill get the finals out of the way by August just in time for the honeymoon. (a tall order I know!)

I have tortured CPA on the phone with dozens of questions. But does anyone have experience with CPA tutors in Griffith or Independent? Who would you choose?

Tks

S

Just turfed out my notes etc...what a surprisingly enjoyable experience.

Ridiculous amount of stuff...at least 10 or 12 trips to the wheelie bin.

Lucky you!

Seriously a small forest somewhere has been totally flattened to print my notes...:(

drxiQ.jpg

Y0DrF.jpg

Catharsis

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What??? :D

• Advertisement

Actually, the accountant in me says you could have reused that binder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I wudda paid to even see how you organised your notes :o did you guys study much during the year up to the exams. I find i have no time with work :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Hey guys,

I'm sitting FAE's next September. Just looking for a few opinions on the Tax elective. Pass rate seems decent. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭EveT

Hey guys,

I'm sitting FAE's next September. Just lookinf for a few opinions on the Tax elective. Pass rate seems decent. Any thoughts?

PM me your email and Ill mail you, you work in tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

EveT wrote: »
    PM me your email and Ill mail you, you work in tax?

PM Sent. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭EveT

PM Sent. Thanks!

mail sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Szewinska

i felt going into tax elective i was in good shape. i made a mess of one sim and failed. i knew the info for the right answer but didnt think it was the right answer. i thought the client wanted a trust and my answer had come from a trust. reading the paper now what an error but on the day thats what i understood it to be when under exam conditions. to say im sickened is an understatement. i passed core but because of my mistake i now have wait at least a full year to get again.

am attempting part 2s in april now.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭WeeDeee

Hey guys,

I'm sitting FAE's next September. Just lookinf for a few opinions on the Tax elective. Pass rate seems decent. Any thoughts?
    The book they provide is excellent and practice practice past papers and sample papers also the case studies in the book are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭RT2010

Just wondering if anyone who is eligible to join CAI as a member following the results has joined before the 30th Nov deadline? Didn't myself.

Is it your firm or yourself paying the joining fee? Think a lot of firms pay the yearly subs but not sure about the joining fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

RT2010 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone who is eligible to join CAI as a member following the results has joined before the 30th Nov deadline? Didn't myself.

Is it your firm or yourself paying the joining fee? Think a lot of firms pay the yearly subs but not sure about the joining fee.

I sent in my form last week and my firm sent in a cheque with it.

Advertisement