Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Omg Cybrd you lucky thing!!!! :D How did he get on last night? Your brother not the hubby :D

A first aid course is a great idea! I've been meaning to do one for years. We just put together a first aid kit the other week. Should have done it long before now with a toddler around of course. But the first aid course would be a great benefit, particular for choking.

Never heard of a mood test Avril, I'm surprised I've never been sent for one, though maybe they did one on the sly and I didn't realise :D

Just about the whole PND thing, for all the new mums in here, if you're feeling in any way unlike yourself, if you feel you're worrying too much or you can't switch off or just not feeling right, and it's more than just the tiredness of a newborn, it's so important to say it. There's no weakness in it and it is so fixable there's no need to suffer in silence. I had a touch of it after the second little guy, was too afraid to say anything, till eventually I said it to the PHN and she was so supportive that I wish I'd done it sooner. I think I was even afraid that if I said it to the PHN that she'd think I was a useless mum and take the baby from me :eek::rolleyes: But she didn't ;)

The mood test is a multiple choice questionnaire rating 1 - 10 on things like how weepy you feel, do you feel that things are getting on top of you, how you feel about leaving the house.. and they do tell you what it is and why.
    My brother lost out to madonna.. (wagon:eek:).. the worst song in the bunch.. but he's hopeful for the Oscars. . he's nominated for an IFTA as well so he'll be home again in 3 weeks :D
    @JenniG i was like that when i was breastfeeding.. i couldn't stand the heating being on and the kids were freezing :D it's normal.. you're hormones are all over the place for a few months after the birth.. as they say 9 months in 9 months out..
    And my hair has started to fall out too.. not as bad as last time but it's early days yet.. :(
    As for getting away on my own.. i think i'd said it so often thet my husband would never cope with the 4 if i went away that i think he saw it as a challenge.. and a way to get one up now that he has the baby sleeping a full 12 hours a night :D (which i know he would have done anyway..that's what i tell myself anyway;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My baby can definitely smell hot food anyway... and not while it's cooking, only when it's just ready and on the plate ready to eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I think my daughter was 6 weeks old before I was able to finish one full cup of tea. Always the same thing, she wouldn't stir during her sleep, but the second i had a hot milky cuppa in my hand - wide awake and looking for me!

Cbyrd that is some impressive balancing act to chop carrots :D sorry you're brother didn't win, he must be on cloud 9 all the same. What an epic experience to be nominated and attend an event like that!

wmpd33 that's like something my oh would do. Not being intentionally awkward but just not thinking!

Nicowa that must be tough going with baba sleeping so little, hopefully it is a phase and she'll start sleeping for you asap.

JenniG, I'm shocked that people were rude enough to ask if your husband was a bit old for wanting a baby! what a silly thing to say! sure he's only a young lad still :)
    I have a friend who had a suprise baby, he was 46 & they already had a 14 year old boy.
    The little girl they had was the absolute making of him. She is the complete apple of her daddy's eye and has him firmly wrapped around her little finger!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I remember the cold tea and cold food stage:(
    It lasted about 6 months on both of the kids, you would think I would loose weight as a result but no it meant I ate anything in sight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I used to love a cup of tea but since having my son I've gone off it because I never get to drink a hot cup. It's always luke warm by the time I get to it.

I remember someone saying to me when I was pregnant that being a mammy means you never get to finish a hot cup of tea and it's so true.

• Advertisement

galah wrote: »
    Getting better at one-handed eating as well - and stopped feeling guilty about breadcrumbs or bits of lettuce in baby's hair...:o

Laughing here at this, I remember visiting a friend one day, feeding baby with one hand and myself with the other. Felt bad when I looked down and seen the top of her little head covered in sausage roll pastry flakes :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its why we have dinner between 8 and 9 at night here- there simply isn't any point in trying to eat earlier....... We each sort one baba, stuff them, change their nappies and get them to sleep for the night- only now can we sit back and put our own food in the (thankfully pre-heated) oven. I seem to bake absolutely everything these days- I don't have the energy to cook properly. Still- baked is good.......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I bake nearly everything too, though I bought a slow cooker so when I learn to use it dinners will get nicer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Sorry everyone, slightly off topic here, my 7 month old son is teething and his first tooth has literally just started to poke through the gums, he seems to be in more pain than ever now, so is it more painful when the teeth start to break through the gums? Is this the tougher stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Winnie wrote: »
    Sorry everyone, slightly off topic here, my 7 month old son is teething and his first tooth has literally just started to poke through the gums, he seems to be in more pain than ever now, so is it more painful when the teeth start to break through the gums? Is this the tougher stage?

Has the tooth broken through? Is that what you mean by poke through? When our fella's first tooth started to break through the gum, he started chewing on my finger like mad! He was like a demon possessed lol, but he chewed and chewed for about 10 mins and then I noticed a spot of blood on my finger, and I felt the tooth break through.

Not sure if that's recommended procedure or not, but if the tooth hasn't come through, I wonder is it okay for you to help him along like that?

• Advertisement

yeah the tooth has broken through, only a small bit showing but its there and driving him mad!

Yes it is the worst bit.
    Put teething gel on it and give him loads of cold things to bite.

yeah doing all that, he is generally bit more cranky and clingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

with the twins 11 weeks old and a big baby boom on can anyone tell me when it's best to start ringing schools to get their names on the waiting list thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Seems to be different everywhere, I brought my daughter to the local school one day and signed her up for 2015, they said there's loads of space. But talking to someone int he boy school they said its getting pretty full up and as they are losing a teacher they dont know what the situation will be by 2016.

I wanted to go early just in case there was a problem, both schools are catholic and were not. But I live right beside both so they said currently that means more than religion!

I signed up my son when he was 3 months old to start in 2015 in the local Educate Together school and there are already 7 others in front of him on the waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

with the twins 11 weeks old and a big baby boom on can anyone tell me when it's best to start ringing schools to get their names on the waiting list thanks.

As soon as yo get them registered and get a PPS number... That's what we've done anyway, just to be sure!
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I wanted to go early just in case there was a problem, both schools are catholic and were not. But I live right beside both so they said currently that means more than religion!

We're the same... there's a school literally within stones throw of us (6 houses down the road) that's a catholic school, and we're not.
    I read their enrolment policy, and if they go over numbers, my son is in the 7th group of people that would be enroled. Kids from other areas that are catholic would be accepted before he is. Ridiculous :(
    Winnie wrote: »
    I signed up my son when he was 3 months old to start in 2015 in the local Educate Together school and there are already 7 others in front of him on the waiting list.

I have my little mans name down for 2 educate together schools- one isn't built yet though! (we're hoping they get patronage). I didn't know you could find out so early where you are on a waiting list- how did you find out if you don't mind me asking? Did you email?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

heard today of a child being registered at 3 months for her local gealscoil, and she was 19 on the list, however, now at 3 she is num 68 on the list and there are only 56 places :eek: her mother is a aghast as she has not registered her for anywhere else.
    There is a wisdom to registering for a few schools if you can. I didn't but i had now idea what i was going to do if we did not get into the ET school.

I put my sons name down in 3 Educate Together schools when he was a few months old. My husband and my son aren't catholic, I was but am lapsed or opted out or whatever you call it, so we really want to avoid catholic run schools if we can. Unfortunately that excludes gaelscoileanna which is a shame.

liliq wrote: »
    I have my little mans name down for 2 educate together schools- one isn't built yet though! (we're hoping they get patronage). I didn't know you could find out so early where you are on a waiting list- how did you find out if you don't mind me asking? Did you email?

well the letter of confirmation we got when we pre-enrolled him said he was no.8 on the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

galah wrote: »
    right, do children have an in-built 'mammy is about to have food' sensor? our little dude could be asleep for hours, not stirring for anything, but the second i even glance at the fridge, he starts wailing for attention...:rolleyes: think i may starve to death one of these days if it werent for 'smash n grab' food such as drink joghurts and raw bagels....

also glad someone bumped the breastfeeding support thread - so good to read we're not alone when it comes to hourly feedings and nipple shields etc (since some of my 'real world' friends are of the peachy 'my pregnancy, birth, and raising kids were/are the most wonderful , easy, fulfilling, soft-focus things ever' brigade - not wanting/daring to admit that they had rough patches as well, and almost making me feel guilty for admitting that after 2 days of breastfeeding every hour and stuck in a house in the sticks with no mode of transport, i am 'slightly' knackered and not particularly overjoyed with my lot...:rolleyes:

oh my God i totally agree with all of this. i even try get my food soon as she finishes eating but she knows!! yeh and its not all peachy and easy and oh this is great. its hard work! and so tiring. and i find it so hard when im the only one who can get up to feed her and my husband doesnt. he would love to be able to. i might start expressing after a month just so he can help with one night feed. but i do love her to bits and she has put on nearly a pound in a week which is great. im goin to go to my mams tomorrow to get out of the house (mobile!) phn said to start getting out meeting friends etc. hard when ur so tired but im gona try get out a little every week or get ppl to visit.

red fraggle I found getting out everyday for a walk of some sort saved my sanity. It's so hard in the early weeks, you're still recovering, your hormones are all over the place and it's not easy getting used to having a little baby totally dependent on you. Getting out in the fresh air really helped me.

Now is the best time.
    I put my babies name down at 9 months and she is on a waiting list.

red fraggle I found getting out everyday for a walk of some sort saved my sanity. It's so hard in the early weeks, you're still recovering, your hormones are all over the place and it's not easy getting used to having a little baby totally dependent on you. Getting out in the fresh air really helped me.

thanks im going to try doin this even if its only down my lane!

have a few questions

1. baby sleeping on your chest. my little one loves this but i would be afraid to leave her there while i fall asleep. what if she fell off or moved etc or does ur body know??? its so hard

2 also do ye sleep when ur baby sleeps? do ye sleep all day or maybe just for one of babies naps?i know we are all different but just wondering what others do. duno what i would do if i had another child!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Can't answer no. 1 as I'm wondering the same thing. I've thought about some sort of sling thing. Some nights it seems the only way she'll sleep is on my chest but it terrifies me to fall asleep so I end up waking after a few minutes and put her back in the crib.

As to no. 2 - I go to bed at 9.30 and himself takes care of her until she either falls asleep or wants a feed from me. And then I get a lie in (usually) after her morning feed (7-8) until about 10.30. I don't go back to bed after that. I simply don't want to even if I am tired. That's long enough in bed for me. I rest on the couch watching telly if I'm tired after that.

nicowa wrote: »
    Can't answer no. 1 as I'm wondering the same thing. I've thought about some sort of sling thing. Some nights it seems the only way she'll sleep is on my chest but it terrifies me to fall asleep so I end up waking after a few minutes and put her back in the crib.

As to no. 2 - I go to bed at 9.30 and himself takes care of her until she either falls asleep or wants a feed from me. And then I get a lie in (usually) after her morning feed (7-8) until about 10.30. I don't go back to bed after that. I simply don't want to even if I am tired. That's long enough in bed for me. I rest on the couch watching telly if I'm tired after that.

i do something similar. this week himself is only home at 8.30 so i wait up and we go to bed together after her last feed. think i just need to talk to him and spend time with him. he bonds with her at this time. maybe next week when he is home around 6 or 6.30 i wil try get to bed at 9.30. usually she will feed in the morning then at either 7 or 9 whichever it is i lie in then until next feed and then i just rest on the sofa after that. i find i get anxious when i try sleep durin the day and am constantly checkin on her. i do this all the time anyway!!

so tired right now! my sister is on her way to visit so lookin forward to this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'm sure this is totally against recommended practise as well as my earlier post, but our both of ours fell asleep on our chests. A few times I've fallen asleep and woken up and thought oh no. But nothing happened, so we were lucky. For exactly the reasons you say Red Fraggle, it's not ideal, but it got him a little sleep and us a little shut eye. The only reason I stopped doing it is because the youngest fella is long enough to kick my section scar.

If you can sleep when they sleep, great. If you can't, don't put yourself under pressure to. If you can get some one to call over to the house for a couple of hours while you go and sleep, that's ideal. Don't be afraid to ask anyone to help out and if any one offers, don't knock it back, accept every help you can!

Doubletrouble, I put my eldest son's name down in a school during the summer (he's 2 and a half and due to start in 2013) and I rang the other week because I heard nothing back. They said they only check the applications a year in advance and the usual rules of siblings of older students, local children etc apply, but to check back in Sept 2012. So not sure if this year in advance thing is a standard procedure with all schools, but I'm not so convinced putting their names down now is any benefit. No harm I guess though.

I thought I was being ott putting my daughters name down for the local secondary school when she was 3 months old, sounds like it's the done thing though.

I'm not holding out much hope on it being a done deal as 1. we live miles from the school 2. It's a Church of Ireland school which we are not, so COI pupils would get preference 3. short of winning the lotto there's not a hope in hell of us being able to afford the private fee's at the moment, but I'm hoping our circumstances will have improved (or at least that we'll be out of this recession :rolleyes:) in 10 years time when she would be due to start.

I really must enroll her for elsewhere as a back up. There's a girls only secondary in the city that has an excellent reputation.
    I think I'm going to wait til no. 2 makes an appearance and enroll both at the one time.

It's surreal having to enroll them so far in advance :eek: though when I worked in childcare in Dublin several years ago, women were ringing us to book a child's nursery place to be booked from the time they were 8 week pregnant.

It seems that newborns want to sleep on their mums chests and we all feel guilty about it. It only lasts for a few weeks so go with it. As long as you're not falling askeep in a chair or on the sofa its safe enough and if you're breastfeeding it makes it easier. We coslept for 6 months.

Yes, definitely nap as often as you can when your baby naps especially if you're not getting much sleep at night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Now is the best time.
    I put my babies name down at 9 months and she is on a waiting list.

Out of an abundance of caution- I put Baby Helen on the waiting list for the Gaelscoil in Maynooth- 3 months before she was born (I had to get a provisional PPSN for her to do this- which was only officially issued once the birth was registered in the GRO).

Shane Jnr was registered @ 3 months of age- and was already 96th out of 90- thanks to the school's siblings first policy. C'est la vie.

I've only enrolled our two in the one school- perhaps I need to revisit this?

Advertisement