Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I was the same, Saoirse was on Colief and Infacol, AND Cow & Gate comfort... and she was still a nightmare with getting wind up... Ellen is a little dream compared to her... She burps as soon as you lift her after a feed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Delighted this thread is here guys, I can finally wean myself off the Pregnancy thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would like to order a delivery just like yours, cat. Sounds just about perfect and very like my sisters, though she had a sweep before hand. All she can remember is saying, i have to push!! She just mad it yo the bed. Its mad how you just want a walk, and a walk feels so right. Cant work out why the woulldnt allow the ipod while on trace, did they think it was a phone? Its great your getting a nights sleep already too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

With the formula blocking the teat- I know with some formulas the instructions to make them up is with warm water, but for some (I think paticularly some of the comfort ones) the instructions are to make them up with cold water- not sure what it is, but I know some people have told me that they find the formula dissolves better in the cold water.
    Might not be relevany, but thought I'd mention it just in case! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We decided to crack on with the potty training this weekend....he's doing great, the first day there were a few accidents, but only wet ones woohoo....the only time he did a number 2 accident was yesterday when the hubby was here with him by himself *snigger* :D

I came up with a great trick...he keeps thinking he's done after only a little bit of wee comes out and won't sit long enough sometimes to do a number 2. So I brought up an old egg timer from the kitchen and told him he can't move till it stops ticking so he might as well pee or poo while he's sitting there. It's like that movie Speed, keep going before the time runs out :D

He gets 1 gold star for a wee and 2 gold stars for a number and when he gets 5 he gets a small prize

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

first day in creche for Dara today....It's only an hour really, but he's in for the rest of the week for half-days, and then fulltime (07:30 to 16:30) next week.

Sad daddy :( any words of wisdom for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Hannibal, i'll have that in a few months i'd say.. everytime he poo's in his nappy he pulls his trousers down and runs around saying wee wee wee... :rolleyes: he loves it when i put him sitting on the toilet when he's in the nip just before his bath or shower but usually goes on the floor and then laughs at me.. :eek:
    I'm not looking forward to potty training, the girls were brilliant, potty trained by 2yrs and 4 months and 2 years and 1 month.. only another 2 or 3 months to get the night nappy off them..
    @tbh.. he'll be having great fun with other kids and you'll be beating yourself up about what a bad parent you are.. in 10 years time you'll still be doing the same thing.. :D remember it's for the greater good.. if you can't work you can't eat and neither can he.. it's what i tell my older kids when they complain that they've to walk home when i'm working..:D no money= no nice things ;) then breathe

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I would like to order a delivery just like yours, cat. Sounds just about perfect and very like my sisters, though she had a sweep before hand. All she can remember is saying, i have to push!! She just mad it yo the bed. Its mad how you just want a walk, and a walk feels so right. Cant work out why the woulldnt allow the ipod while on trace, did they think it was a phone? Its great your getting a nights sleep already too.
    Yeah, it was not what I expected at all! Just happy that we're both healthy and well, but really thrilled that it worked out so well as I'd been gearing myself up for all sorts of complications due to the blood pressure and gest. diabetes. No idea why I wasn't allowed the iPod though - I made it clear it wasn't a phone, but no go. Then again, the nurse wouldn't allow me to bring in my bag or even a book. Think I just struck out with her, she was more of a pain than the labour itself!

tbh wrote: »
    first day in creche for Dara today....It's only an hour really, but he's in for the rest of the week for half-days, and then fulltime (07:30 to 16:30) next week.

It gets easier...though I can say that because it's the hubby that's always dropped the boy off to creche, I've never had the courage to do it.

But it is worth it. They have such great craic there, and the stories they tell you about the other kids (in time to come) are very funny. Plus, when it comes to school, you're kid will be flying in the door and other kids will be crying after there mammies! :D [note: apologies to any parents who don't send their kids to creche if that sounded offensive, but it's the only thought that got me through the first few months of creche ;)]

cbyrd wrote: »
    Hannibal, i'll have that in a few months i'd say.. everytime he poo's in his nappy he pulls his trousers down and runs around saying wee wee wee... :rolleyes: he loves it when i put him sitting on the toilet when he's in the nip just before his bath or shower but usually goes on the floor and then laughs at me.. :eek:
    I'm not looking forward to potty training, the girls were brilliant, potty trained by 2yrs and 4 months and 2 years and 1 month.. only another 2 or 3 months to get the night nappy off them..

To be honest he's not great at concentration....so I'm very suprised he's stuck to it...and the only reason we avoided an accident this morning is because I saw him doing an indian type rain dance around the sitting room, so brought him to the loo. On the one hand I'm very proud of him for being able to hold it ;) but on the other, why not just come and tell me he needs to wee? Isn't that what I've been telling him all weekend? :confused::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It is sad- but when you see how he interacts with the other children and how he develops socially, it does all become worth while. Baby Shane loves going to the creche- he sings in the car all the way in the morning- it would totally destroy me if he wasn't happy, but he loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

hi everyone. i made it here! emily is 4 days old. first night home and she cried a good bit of the night and decided she wants to be fussy when breastfeeding now even tho did great in the hosp. think my milk coming in has put her off a bit! phn comin tomorroww so ill have good chat with her. she is really very good but gettin up wind is a battle. it would break ur heart. so glad she is here now :D

oh my boobs are huge and hurt like hell!!!!!!!!!!!!! any advice???

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

hi everyone. i made it here! emily is 4 days old. first night home and she cried a good bit of the night and decided she wants to be fussy when breastfeeding now even tho did great in the hosp. think my milk coming in has put her off a bit! phn comin tomorroww so ill have good chat with her. she is really very good but gettin up wind is a battle. it would break ur heart. so glad she is here now :D

oh my boobs are huge and hurt like hell!!!!!!!!!!!!! any advice???

The boobs will go down after a day. I know it hurts - I was in the same boat and I felt and looked like I'd had the worst boob job ever! :eek: You can use cabbage leaves but don't overuse them - a few minutes is all you should use them for really, but ask the PHN tomorrow - mine said I could so...

Also, the engorgement means the nipples are more swollen and harder to latch on to and the midwife said that when the milk tastes slightly different when you're swollen.

And mine was the same with the wind - but at two weeks she's getting it up much easier now.

Went for the two week check up today. It was high-larious!

She was just awake - and she was wet and hungry - and as soon as I went into the office she did a massive poop all up her clothes... :o I had to excuse us and clean her and take off all her clothes. I left them off cos she was about to be examined. And boy, was she not happy!

But we got through the exam and she's all good. And the doctor let me into an empty exam room to feed her.

She seemed finished so I left - and ended up feeding her in one of the cafes in Dundrum town centre. I was fairly impressed with myself, we were very discreet! :)

-Also, CONGRATS! It's good to finally have her here isn't it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

nicowa wrote: »
    The boobs will go down after a day. I know it hurts - I was in the same boat and I felt and looked like I'd had the worst boob job ever! :eek: You can use cabbage leaves but don't overuse them - a few minutes is all you should use them for really, but ask the PHN tomorrow - mine said I could so...

Also, the engorgement means the nipples are more swollen and harder to latch on to and the midwife said that when the milk tastes slightly different when you're swollen.

And mine was the same with the wind - but at two weeks she's getting it up much easier now.

Went for the two week check up today. It was high-larious!

She was just awake - and she was wet and hungry - and as soon as I went into the office she did a massive poop all up her clothes... :o I had to excuse us and clean her and take off all her clothes. I left them off cos she was about to be examined. And boy, was she not happy!

But we got through the exam and she's all good. And the doctor let me into an empty exam room to feed her.

She seemed finished so I left - and ended up feeding her in one of the cafes in Dundrum town centre. I was fairly impressed with myself, we were very discreet! :)

-Also, CONGRATS! It's good to finally have her here isn't it? :D

yeh its excellent having her here. thanks for the reply. its good to know its all normalish! i cant believe how sore they are!! im looking forward to the phn coming out! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

smccarrick wrote: »

It is sad- but when you see how he interacts with the other children and how he develops socially, it does all become worth while. Baby Shane loves going to the creche- he sings in the car all the way in the morning- it would totally destroy me if he wasn't happy, but he loves it.
    Typically, the only time he cried was when we collected him! Thanks for the kind words Shane, you and yours are in my prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

red fraggle congrats! It helps if you feed as often as your daughter wants or if she's sleepy then every two hours so you don't get too engorged. A hot shower or bath can help too if you're very engorged and sore. Massage your breasts while in the bath/shower to relieve the fullness. Sometimes it can be hard for the baby to latch on if your breasts are full and hard so even hand massage a little before feeding to soften them slightly. The painful engorgement only lasts a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

congrats new moms!
    for the swollen boobs google hand expression and give it a go before a feed.
    Also, i now this sounds mad, but try to feed before baby is hungry, as soon as a little signs start, rooting, turning head side to side, etc. They take less air if they cry less, and they feed better too.
    My little man was very bad with wind for a few weeks every evening, but it passes, same with other 2, it always passes. Just feed as often as you can and remember the golden rules of a newborn:
    never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down and never stay awake when you can sleep.
    Your dishes, your floors, your laundry will still need to be done in a week/month/year/decade but your baby will never be young again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Nathan had his 2 week check-up today & he's perfect (as if I didn't know already) the mucus isn't on his lungs which is great news! It seems to be just in his nose.. Doc told us to use saline drops so hopefully that clears it soon!
    I was expressing during the day & formula feeding at night but my milk seems to have slowed up today.. Could it be cause I'm run down? Hoping a bit more expressing will bring it back for me! If not it's formula from now on...

Massive Congrats Red Fragle :) glad to hear you & Emily are doing so well! X

Tigeress wrote: »
    Nathan had his 2 week check-up today & he's perfect (as if I didn't know already) the mucus isn't on his lungs which is great news! It seems to be just in his nose.. Doc told us to use saline drops so hopefully that clears it soon!
    I was expressing during the day & formula feeding at night but my milk seems to have slowed up today.. Could it be cause I'm run down? Hoping a bit more expressing will bring it back for me! If not it's formula from now on...

Tigeress: is there a reason why you are expressing? the best why to build supply is to latch baby on, but if there is a reason for expressing then look to Dr. Jack Newman or Kelly Mom for detailed info on and rollercoaster hasd a great thread, to quote:
    Until baby is 12 weeks you should express every 2-3 hours at least and for 15-20 minutes, to a total of 8-12 pumps in 24 hours. Also one pump should be overnight, although i stopped that once DS started sleeping through the night. once your supply is established at around 12 weeks you can slowly reduce the number of times you express so long as you are still producing enough milk.

Express if possible into a feeding bottle for convenience and then store in the fridge (keeps for 8 days in the back of the fridge). keep the stock rotated so that you use the oldest milk first. Heat, in a cup of warm water, only to take the cold out of the milk as if you overheat it you destroy some of the antibodies. Or better still take the next feed out of the fridge and leave at room temperature for a little while to slowly warm up, this preserves the antibodies. Unless your babs was premature you dont need to wash and sterilise for each pump. Wash parts, in the dishwasher if you can to save even more effort, sterilise and between pumps store the parts -no need to wash each time-in a freezer bag in the fridge. Any traces of milk then stays fresh there.They are fine then for around 12 -24 hours- this saves so much time and work. Kellymom state that with premature babies you can generally do this once they reach term age- but i would check this first with your paediatrician.

Finally you need a good professional grade double electric pump- i found the medela pump in style advanced great, the ameda Lactina is a fab pump too and cheaper than the pump in stlye advanced.
    http://www.rollercoaster.ie/Discussions/tabid/119/ForumThread/15250598/Default.aspx

• Advertisement

Tigeress wrote: »
    With a 2-week old, you'd really need to be expressing at least every 3 hours to mimic a normal feeding pattern and maintain supply. If you don't do this your boobs may assume there is no baby and your supply will drop. I'm afraid it's a case of use it or lose it - expressing is not generally recommended until after 6 weeks when most supply issues have resolved themselves. If you'd like to continue breastfeeding, I'd recommend ditching the formula for now and latch baby on if at all possible, or at least express every time you feed baby so as to match your supply to the baby's needs. Good luck with it. The first 3-4 weeks are the trickiest - we're at the 8-week mark now and literally we're doing it in our sleep!

agreed Cat, if you can get past the first 6wks you are past the worst of it.
    There is a lady on rollercoaster who expressed for 16mths, so it can be done, but i agree the faster you mimic your childs feeding patterns the better.
    Also putting the child to the breast has massive benefits for you and the child, even if milk is not transferred.
    It is about closeness, and body heat and heartbeat, also the act of latching stimulates the hormones to reduce the size of your uterus, as well as stimulating production.
    As well as that you need the close contact to produce the best immunological response. I am trying to find the article about it, i'll post again if I do, but basically when the baby is latched your body 'detects' the pathogens your baby needs protection against and then provides them in the milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Some great tips there on the potty training hannibal, great to hear its going so well too!
    What age is your little boy? my daughter is 2 in March, a bit of me is tempted to start soon in the hope that she would be trained before her brother/sister arrive in April, but I think that may just be wishful thinking :)
    I have no clue where/how to start :o

Lynski great tips on the breastfeeding, that makes a lot of sense starting the feed before they cry to prevent wind. Must bear that one in mind for no. 2 :)
    You're so right about the housework too, I spent far too much time stressing about floors that needed to be washed/laundry to be done last time, such a waste of energy!

Tbh it definitely get's easier. I found the first week desperately hard leaving my daughter into creche. It was so difficult and felt so unnatural handing her over to essentially a stranger to mind.
    However she absolutely loves the place and starts grinning like a cheshire cat the minute we pull into the creche drive, she has such a ball with her little pals :)
    Hopefully your little guy will settle in well and it'll become easier for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

I should start posting here now but I do like a quick peep on the pregnancy thread to see how everyone is doing :) Congrats to all the new mums! I cant believe how the 9 months flew by but obviously at the time it didn't feel it was going quick. Ciara is now 10 weeks old already...!! I really should put up my experience but just haven't had a chance! Hope everyone is well x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Some great tips there on the potty training hannibal, great to hear its going so well too!
    What age is your little boy? my daughter is 2 in March, a bit of me is tempted to start soon in the hope that she would be trained before her brother/sister arrive in April, but I think that may just be wishful thinking :)

Lynski great tips on the breastfeeding, that makes a lot of sense starting the feed before they cry to prevent wind. Must bear that one in mind for no. 2 :)
    You're so right about the housework too, I spent far too much time stressing about floors that needed to be washed/laundry to be done last time, such a waste of energy!

Tbh it definitely get's easier. I found the first week desperately hard leaving my daughter into creche. It was so difficult and felt so unnatural handing her over to essentially a stranger to mind.
    However she absolutely loves the place and starts grinning like a cheshire cat the minute we pull into the creche drive, she has such a ball with her little pals :)
    Hopefully your little guy will settle in well and it'll become easier for you.

I think if she isn't showing signs of wanting to be trained (telling you when she wee's or poo's) then she's possibly not ready yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

However she absolutely loves the place and starts grinning like a cheshire cat the minute we pull into the creche drive,

This is the bit that made me stick with the creche, our creche has a keppad lock. When you key in the number it makes a sound like 'beep, beep, beep, beep. If I get my daughters coat and say 'beep' etc, she goes wild and puts out her finger to press the buttons. She really does love going so I dont mind leaving her there.

January wrote: »
    I think if she isn't showing signs of wanting to be trained (telling you when she wee's or poo's) then she's possibly not ready yet...

That's the thing, she has been telling us for a while now if she has done a poo and more recently when she's wet she will tug at the nappy and get us to change her.
    However the minute I leave her without nappy and put the potty nearby, she gets so excited about running around in the nip that she ends up just weeing all over the floor and hasn't yet tried the potty.

I'm going to leave it a week or two and try then, see how it goes (fingers crossed!).

Wmpdd3 its a great sign when they love creche isn't it? once I tell her we're going to creche straight away its 'lets go' and pulling me towards the front door to get going :)

Cap, I had the same intentions and I tried potty training him a few months before the second one arrived, but he wasn't ready. He didn't even know he was peeing when he was peeing! I thought it would be great to only have one nappy to change when junior came along. But it wasn't to be.

In a way I'm glad it didn't work, because I've heard that when the next baby arrives the previous one has the tendancy to regress to baby behaviour, so it could mean potty training all over again. The eldest has already regressed bed wise (won't sleep in his bed anymore only in a cot :eek: ) So we left it to now, when the second one is sleeping through the night, we're not so wrecked and we've enough control of a kind of routine with the little one to be able to focus on the eldest.

It's so hard to know when they're ready...I just thought, we're stuck in anyway because of the chicken pox, I might as well give the potty training a bash seeing as we're not going any where.

If she can understand and follow instructions and if she knows she's peeing when she's peeing give it a crack, you never know! :D

(I think I spoke too soon yesterday btw...he appears to get stage fright when it comes to the number 2 :confused: )

Thanks Hannibal, the thought had crossed my mind that we might end up going backwards when no. 2 arrives.
    I tried her again this morning with her nappy off/potty beside her, but she doesn't have a clue what to do with the potty & isn't too keen on it.

Its a cheapo one I picked up in Tescoes but has a bit that sticks up on the front.
    I don't think she's so keen on the potty so I'm going to pick up a flat top one and wait til no. 2 arrives to try again.
    I'm going to be at home plenty then anyway, makes a bit more sense to try then.

Hopefully your little guy will keep up the good work and you can leave the nappies behind you :)

• Advertisement

Hi ladies, just a quick question.. I know some of you have had sections recently & was wondering at the 2 week Mark were you all still in alot of pain? We were at the PHN today as Nathan had to be weighed again & she wreckens it's not normal & I have to go back to GP this afternoon.. I have a very sharp stinging pain everytime I move in my right side especially, it also hurts when I cough or sneeze (this cold isn't helping) I'm not looking for medical advise or anything as I'm going the Doc this afternoon but just wondering o anyone else has experienced this?

Advertisement