Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lola92 wrote: »
    CathyMoran and SMcCarrick you and kiddies looked wonderful on the telly! Little Shane and Helen were adoreable! :)

Thanks a mill- our two little ones were good as gold- I'm really proud of them (and of my little wifey!) It was a nice interview and Mark Cagney in particular was great. We're not fond of journalists- but they really put us at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, I couldn't get over how good your two were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Rolls?! I'm so jealous cbyrd lol. *pushes the ickle guy*

I started him on solids...was pushing it out with his tongue and thought he wasn't ready and left it. Then he started waking twice a night so operation solid food started again...and he loves it! So now we have our brekkie together...so cute.

*come on roll you little beggar!* lol

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Rolls?! I'm so jealous cbyrd lol. *pushes the ickle guy*

I started him on solids...was pushing it out with his tongue and thought he wasn't ready and left it. Then he started waking twice a night so operation solid food started again...and he loves it! So now we have our brekkie together...so cute.

*come on roll you little beggar!* lol

hannibal smith and cbyrd, what age are ur little ones again? when do they usually roll over?

hannibal smith and cbyrd, what age are ur little ones again? when do they usually roll over?

4 months here....I don't know really. I would have thought about 6 months or so?

• Advertisement

4 months here....I don't know really. I would have thought about 6 months or so?

Varies- depending on the child. Our little girl was rolling immediately when she was born. The nurses in ICU were amazed and said she wasn't supposed to be able to......... Needless to say- small as she was, she wasn't in ICU for very long!

oh right! yeh i was thinking 6 months. my little one is 8 weeks tomorrow and whatever way i put her down on her tummy she rolled over. i couldnt believe it. duno if it was a fluke. but she does kind of half roll over to one side aswell when on her belly.

shes cranky the last few days. seems to be whinging and crying most of the day and then shes perfectly fine at times! maybe a growth spurt? i ordered the wonder weeks book. waiting for it to come in.

Grrrr at all your fabulous rolling babies! This place is going to be a tumbling rolling bootcamp tomorrow! :D

Grrrr at all your fabulous rolling babies! This place is going to be a tumbling rolling bootcamp tomorrow! :D

Baby Helen's speciality is crawling backwards- she is quite quick- but she keeps getting stuck under things.......

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chillichick

rolling baby here aswel at 4and half months.she gets annoyed rolling on to her tummy then as she cant turn back around poor babs face looking at the ground. Grrr teething also baby not impressed with her tooth coming up very cranky and unsettled and a bright red jaw.up and down with me all day.On the plus side it is good excersize with all the squats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

R rolled from back to front once at 12 weeks, once at 14, and once since, and hasn't bothered apart from that!
    He started rolling from front to back at around 20 weeks I think... he got such a fright the first time he did it... hilarious! :o

ROLLING BOOTCAMP DAY 1

Well he seems to have some idea of what to do. He's on his tummy with his bum and legs flailing about trying to roll but then he collapses to the floor face first in a very dramatic Gloria Swanson style lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

My darling daughter is 9 months old today - Helen I love you, you have changed mummy, daddy and big brother Shane's life for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

CathyMoran wrote: »
    My darling daughter is 9 months old today - Helen I love you, you have changed mummy, daddy and big brother Shane's life for the better.

Can't believe your daughter is 9 months old already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Zveri

Hi reading through the posts about hair loss. I have a question. My twins are a week off 10 months old.
    I started losing lots of hair at about 3 months post partum. It's now back to sadly thin hair with new 'baby hair' growth.
    I'm still breastfeeding (well expressing) But its the same hormone wise. Will I really lose even more hair when I stop breastfeeding? :eek:
    I think its slowed down the last couple months need to get prepared if it's going to get worse again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Zveri, it shouldn't go again once you've had the hair loss and regrowth.. the hormone levels are responsible for the loss . . one thing i did notice this time with me is i'm eating a lot of spinach lately..and both my energy levels and hair loss have improved.. iron deficiency can make the hair loss more pronounced. Last 2 times i lost a ridiculous amount of hair ended up having to cut it short which doesn't suit me :( so far so good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Hi Ladies :) it's been a little while since I've been on (well a week) grey to hear about all the babies rolling :) hehe very exciting!
    My little man will be 10 weeks on Tues & we're having a hell of a time at the mo.. He's been so very good until he got his injections last Monday & has been in terrible form since, I can't even step out of sight & he's crying for me.. Even Daddy won't do :( he's also feeding every 1.5-2 hours at the moment so I think it's partially to do with a growth spurt too.. He weights 15lb already :o & is over 2 foot long! He's not very chubby just very long!
    For those who were mentioning the Moses basket, my little fella only lasted 3 weeks :o he's a right monster lol.. The Doc couldn't believe his size when I went for a section check up! He told me that he doesn't think I'll last longer than the 3 month mark without going to the spoon as he's so big & so hungry.. The PHN is saying the same! I'm in limbo, I'm not gonna change his formula as it suits him (apart from the hunger) but I don't know if I want to put him on baby rice just yet. The Doc told me that he'll tell me if he's ready if I try it as he won't take it if he's not ready himself..
    I just love him so much & I'm terrified of making wrong decisions for him... Silly I know.. He's gotten really good control over his hands all of a sudden :) grabbing at things & putting them in his mouth lol also if I put him lying on a bed he can roll onto his side but won't even try on the floor! Everyone tells me his head control is great too! He loves tummy time hehe! I went to see my friend with him in Dublin the other day & she has a 5 month old & we put them sitting beside each other (jammed with cushions) to take a pic & she looks older but he's longer & they're the same weight!!
    We've found recently that he loves to have his legs free of clothes lol in the evening before we change him for bed we put him on his playmat in just his nappy & vest & he wiggles like crazy hehe! Loves it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Tigeress congrats on your little fella. From now on their development goes in leaps. Every week brings something new and it's amazing to watch.

I have to say I'm shocked that your gp would recommend giving baby rice to a 12 week old. It's also quite illogical as baby rice is highly processed and has no nutritional benefit nor will it fill him more than milk (formula or breast) which has protein and fat and which provide all the nutrients a baby needs.

The obsession in this country with getting a spoon of rice into a baby as soon as possible baffles me. I had people telling me I was depriving my son because we waited until six months but he wasn't ready. He couldn't sit up and he showed no interest at all so from 5 months on we took it week by week.

I think milk is sufficient until around 5 months at which stage each baby is different and some may be ready sooner than others. However I go by the theory that food is fun until one so its for exploring and tasting and not to 'fill them up.'

Your little lad is going through so many leaps and growth spurts at the moment it's no wonder he wants to feed more often but it doesn't mean the milk isn't satisfying him. Look up the wonder weeks website as it shows what weeks babies go through developmental leaps when their brains are learning new skills. It really makes sense and I know I could see my son being more cranky and clingy and feeding more often during those weeks.

Thanks How Strange :) I feel better about holding off now! The Doc said he'd be surprised but he didn't advise it 'Medically' but he said he thinks he needs to be fed sooner rather than later.. I'm gonna go up to the PHN again next week & have a good chat about it all.. I haven't been feeling myself lately & my OH reckons I should have a talk to her about that too.. I sound like such a moan :o

tigeress any tips on the injections? e is 2months monday and we are heading for the injections. hope shes ok after them :(

• Advertisement

They change all the time about these things. When my first son was born we were told not to solid feed until 6 months. I started at 5 months because he was always hungry.

Now it seems its from 4 months for bottle fed babies and 6 months for breastfed. The reason being that they are starting to lose all their iron and vitamins from birth so need other foods to boost it. It's not about rice filling them, the rice is just a starting point.

You know what's best for your son Tigress. The medics are there to give you all the up to date professional advice and then you can decide where to go from there.

There are so many different reasons for him eating so much that your head will be melted trying to discover how to solve it.

The best of luck with it, and sorry you're having such a rough time of it. I know its a cliche, but you will get there. Give it another couple of months and you'll be flying.

tigeress any tips on the injections? e is 2months monday and we are heading for the injections. hope shes ok after them :(

Loose bottoms Red Fragle :) and there are 2 injections.. 1 in each leg! I thought it was just one & got a shock when I went in.. The nurse told me to buy some Calpol when I left too as some babies get high tempratures from them, thankfully Nathan didn't! I did buy some just encase though! Best of luck with them, hopefully she doesn't have any reactions :)

Thanks Hannible, there is so many people saying so many different things with starting to spoon feed! I've decided myself to wait till at least 3.5 months but hoping for 4 months.. I'm so lost with it! Do you have to start on babyrice or can I make my own veg or something instead? I'm gonna go buy a book to read up on what to do if anyone has any suggestions??
    Thanks again Hannible :) you give such good advise & I really do appreciate it x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Tigress the weaning thread stickied at the top of the forum is well worth a read for when ye start out. I started Ella at just over 4 months and I really wish I had held out a bit longer and just gone straight for baby led weaning. Saying that she was feeding herself finger foods and most things by about 6.5/7 months anyway.

We are heading into tantrums major time! I am trying just to use mostly positive reinforcement and ignore her but she sometimes bangs her head off the floor/wall. It's not particularly hard or anything to hurt her but she has my nerves in bits. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Decided to get off my bottom and join this thread, "little" Aidan turned 3 recently and is a little devil :) Tried calling me Natty today :( Always wanted to be mummy, but he seemed to do it only to see my reaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chillichick

My god tigress your little fella is really coming along!Cant believe how hungry he is an is on the hungry baby formula and everything. I started my little one on solids at 15weeks she was very ready for them.She wasnt drinking her bottles as she was bored of them started feeding her baby porridge and dinners and now she guzzles all her bottles happily and is sleeping 7to 7 every night which is great at nearly 5months. You will definatley know when you cant hold out anymore could b just coming up to the 3month growth spurt he could be drinking like that.

My god tigress your little fella is really coming along!Cant believe how hungry he is an is on the hungry baby formula and everything. I started my little one on solids at 15weeks she was very ready for them.She wasnt drinking her bottles as she was bored of them started feeding her baby porridge and dinners and now she guzzles all her bottles happily and is sleeping 7to 7 every night which is great at nearly 5months. You will definatley know when you cant hold out anymore could b just coming up to the 3month growth spurt he could be drinking like that.

I know its crazy! I'm delighted he's doing so well :) he's such a sturdy baby aswell! He's just perfect :)
    You're so lucky with the 12 hour sleep! Nathan goes 6 hours then 4 usually, sometimes he'll go 8 hours but it's rare lol! I was thinking it could be the growth spurt a little early aswell! I'm hoping to get the wonder weeks book & a book about feeding while in Dublin tomorrow :) it's great your little one is doing so well Chilli! Is she rolling yet?
    I know some people say babies are either walkers or talkers, if thats the case my little man is def gonna be a talker lol he never stops!

Lola92 wrote: »
    Tigress the weaning thread stickied at the top of the forum is well worth a read for when ye start out. I started Ella at just over 4 months and I really wish I had held out a bit longer and just gone straight for baby led weaning. Saying that she was feeding herself finger foods and most things by about 6.5/7 months anyway.

We are heading into tantrums major time! I am trying just to use mostly positive reinforcement and ignore her but she sometimes bangs her head off the floor/wall. It's not particularly hard or anything to hurt her but she has my nerves in bits. :(

I'm so gnna have a look at this thread :) I use my iPhone and didn't realise that there was one for feeding :o should have though!

I hope the tantrums are just a phase and she grows out of them quick for ya! I can only imagine your nerves are shot with the head banging, even if it is light! I hate it when I'm burping himself on my shoulder and he lightly headbutts me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Our son is 13 months and we've seen some tantrum like behaviour already. He's very dramatic so he throws himself on the floor and cries like he's being tortured and that's just when I say no. What will he be like in a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

my little man also does little tantrums, so funny in a 1 yr old.
    He also 'pretend' cries, head down on the sofa and little looks back up at you, his older brother thinks it is hilarious and is so proud of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

The tantrums can be so funny. Our little girl is 2 & from about 18 months she does this very fake cry, shoulders heaving, eye's squeezed shut, 'boo hoo' kind of crying.
    It's so hard not to laugh when she does this, though she normally ends up laughing at herself when she does it :D

Tigeress I can't believe N is 10 weeks already, where did that time go?!
    I also found it so confusing when it came to starting solids.
    I had one well intentioned friend of the family hound me to start her at 8 weeks on rice :eek: I wouldn't mind but the same child was sleeping a solid 8 hours each night & feeding fine on milk.
    How Strange is right, there does seem to be a fascination with starting baby's on solid as early as possible for some reason!

I didn't start solids til 6 months & she didn't take to them properly til 9 months anyway.
    My mum was advised to start me at 6 weeks on solids & I was being given cheese at 8 weeks. Probably no wonder I had so many food allergies as a child :(

I always found R to be very out of sorts for 2-3 day's after the injections too even with calpol. I was so glad to get the final 13 month one out of the way.
    You don't sound like a moan at all, the first 3-4 months can be so overwhelming, if you're not feeling yourself then you do right to speak to your PHN.
    Sounds like your wee man is thriving altogether!

Wolfpawnpat that's so cute that he's calling you by your name :) R call's her dad 'daddy' or his real name if he's in trouble with her :D She calls me Lawrrrraline :pac:

Advertisement