Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop Gigs 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just heard that Childish Gambino has cancelled the upcoming gig.

Source is GoldenPlec.ie

Fuck sake.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Fuck sake.

No talk of rescheduling either so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

The Animators play the Bray Summerfest this Friday... free gig on the bandstand. Kicks off at 7.30pm...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

so whos going to macklemore next month? (if any)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Last night DJ Premier and Pete Rock played a free outdoor gig in a park on the Lower Eastside of Manhattan, in the shadow of the Williamsburg Bridge. Being in New York for the summer, this is something I had penciled in for a while.

Thankfully I turned up early. DJ Enuff of Hot 97 was there playing tunes, all classic songs that have been sampled countless times. The area filled up quickly and Premo and Pete came on in time. They started doing the same as before, playing old songs like James Brown and Stevie Wonder but the picks were all great. Premo was really good with the crowd, getting everyone to "do the Stevie Wonder" as Pete dropped the beat.

For someone who craves anything in terms of a Hip Hop concert while being in Ireland this was basically a dream.

Then they both moved onto the 80's. Hearing "The Bridge Is Over", in a crowd of New Yorkers and under the Williamsburg Bridge is by far the coolest hip hop experience I've had. Everyone was rolling and smoking weed. Obama was in town last night and his helicopter flew over the East River by the park before the entourage drove right past behind us - 90% of people didn't even notice, it was crazy.

Ah, but I woke up from the dream. One song into the 90's stuff the lights went out. Everything stopped. Premo and Pete were about to battle and a surprise Guest was going to come out but it was over. Disaster. They were just about to get into their own stuff. Pete tweeted straight away saying what happened and something along the lines of "Damn, was just about to kill em". Disappointing isn't the word, but hey, got to see two idols for free - albeit not for as long as I hoped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

DOOM is coming over to Dublin in October. It'll be interesting to see how many people go to it after the stunt he pulled a few weeks ago.

Don't have a link on Ticketmaster or anything but all the details are on this link on Facebook. Tickets on sale tomorrow and they're €25.

https://www.facebook.com/events/315845708513022/

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Buck 65 is coming back with a few Irish dates
    Over Oceans

dj-teacher-236x300.jpg
    Lovers,
    Is it just me, or has North America gone completely insane in 2012? It’s bonkered. I need a break. I gotta get out of here for a little while. Europe! I’m returning to your embrace! I’ll be playing shows in France, Ireland and the UK in November. Here’s the rundown:
    Nov 06 La Maroquinerie – Paris, France
    Nov 07 Cyprus Avenue – Cork, Ireland
    Nov 08 Roisin Dubh – Galway, Ireland
    Nov 09 Sugar Club – Dublin, Ireland
    Nov 11 King Tuts – Glasgow, United Kingdom
    Nov 12 Deaf Institute – Manchester, United Kingdom
    Nov 13 Institute – Temple Bar – Birmingham, United Kingdom
    Nov 15 The Haunt – Brighton, United Kingdom
    Nov 16 The Garage – London, United Kingdom
    I can’t wait. I am currently recording a new album, so these shows will be my first chance to road-test some of the new material. I’ll also be taking your requests. Anything you want. And you’ll get first crack at some exciting new additions to the merchandise table.
    As for the rest of Europe – I want you to know that I miss you very much and I’ll be back when the new album is released. I won’t make you wait too long, I promise.
    Meanwhile, be sure to follow me on Twitter (@buck65) to stay on top of all the latest developments.
    Hint: some special US dates in October will be announced soon.
    See you soon.
    Buck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

so whos going to macklemore next month? (if any)
    I'll be there... hopefully!

Travelling up from Waterford ticket-less... I'll get there early, so hopefully someone will be selling a spare.

If anyone here is selling one or two, PM me! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

For Macklemore and Ryan Lewis tomorrow, if the doors open at 7, what time should you start queuing up at? Also, would you recommend trying to get up the front in the Academy? I've never been to a gig there before... It's just sometimes when you're right next to the speakers etc. the sound isn't great.

Thanks. :)

TweetMe!?! wrote: »
    For Macklemore and Ryan Lewis tomorrow, if the doors open at 7, what time should you start queuing up at? Also, would you recommend trying to get up the front in the Academy? I've never been to a gig there before... It's just sometimes when you're right next to the speakers etc. the sound isn't great.

Thanks. :)

I wouldnt worry too much about q'ing too much. The Academy is normally quite good at filtering people in, I've never had to really stand in a Q as far as I can remember.

Try get in the middle of the floor, its the best spot there. My ears can be a bit sensitive at gigs, and that's my spot there.

It's sold out as well, should be a great night.

...now to get on to my people to try get a spot on the guest list :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

For those interested, I noticed Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are due to do a set in Tower Records at 6 tomorrow evening - might be worth ringing the shop to confirm but for fans it would be pretty cool to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Immortal Technique will be hitting Belfast and Dublin as well as the England and Scotland at the end of October if anyone is interested. Venues and tickets to be announced soon.

Think I'll hit the Belfast show, though I can picture some of his rebel talk not going down so well if there's a few narrow minded idiots in the building, something we have plenty of here unfortunately, any excuse for a riot.

"The only republicans I f*ck with live in Northern Ireland"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

DJ Stop. will be spinning Hip Hop and Breaks down at the Tavern on the Green this Saturday.
    :cool:
    FB Event page:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/460266653996373/

b0cc9.jpg

Mixes: http://www.mixcloud.com/iamstop/

Well, Macklemore was insane last night, better concert than both Eminem ones I was at tbh. He jumped into the crowd twice, the second time was from the balcony thing above! :pac: got to meet him and Ryan Lewis afterwards too, a great, great night. You can see how much it means to both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Well, Macklemore was insane last night, better concert than both Eminem ones I was at tbh. He jumped into the crowd twice, the second time was from the balcony thing above! :pac: got to meet him and Ryan Lewis afterwards too, a great, great night. You can see how much it means to both of them

Absolutely unreal! The mans gonna be huge. Can't wait for the new album.

... btw anyone who didn't make it to Tower Records missed out bigtime!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Was at the gig Wed it was unreal! Macklemore even got hit in the head with a shoe brushed it off and went on going performing like a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

I agree with everyone else, the gig was beyond CRAZY. Really amazing show, they're great live. :)

The only problem was my friends... First, they didn't want to go to Tower Records because then they "wouldn't have enough time to drink" :/ In hindsight, I should've just went there by myself and that's what I'll do if I'm ever in that situation again, but still...

Next, I wanted to be at the Academy for 7, when the doors opened. I was laughed at for wanting to be there that early and was told that the earliest they were going at was around 8 because, apparently, nobody would there be 'til then and that there was no point in being there at 7... There was no harm in being there for 7 like I wanted, I just didn't see the point in risking getting a bad spot or being down the back. My friends didn't seem to understand this at all :/ Also, I couldn't have just left them and gone to the Academy early like I wanted, because I was the only one who actually knew where The Academy was. In the end, we got there at about 7:50.

I then discovered that the first 100 people through the door got to meet Macklemore and Ryan Lewis after the show (Not us). And through talking to people who got the wrist band for the meet and greet, it was clear that if we had got there at 7 like I wanted, we would've got to meet them. :mad: And when I told my friends that it was their fault, I was to told to "Get over [myself]" and they were coming up with all sorts of sh!t, like saying they would've left whenever I wanted, which was completely untrue. :mad:

I'm a HUGE fan of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis and I would've REALLY REALLY loved to meet them and got a photo etc. Bear in mind, I was the one who introduced Macklemore and Ryan Lewis to my friends, I was the only one who knew where the Academy was and I was the one that bought the tickets and booked the train and the hotel (We're from Cork).

I shall move on, I've learnt my lesson. It won't happen again. As Guru once said "My only crime, was that I'm too damn kind."

As I said already, the gig itself was incredible. Their live show is really great. The best concert I've ever seen. For eg. I went to Wu Tang last year (In Cork), and I love Wu Tang too, but Macklemore and Ryan Lewis was a far far better show. I would definitely recommend going to to see them the next time they come. :)

Sorry for the long essay and all the CAPITALIZED WORDS. :D I just wanted to get that off my chest. I'll now look forward to "The Heist" and to getting this. :)

TweetMe!?! wrote: »
    I agree with everyone else, the gig was beyond CRAZY. Really amazing show, they're great live. :)

The only problem was my friends... First, they didn't want to go to Tower Records because then they "wouldn't have enough time to drink" :/ In hindsight, I should've just went there by myself and that's what I'll do if I'm ever in that situation again, but still...

Next, I wanted to be at the Academy for 7, when the doors opened. I was laughed at for wanting to be there that early and was told that the earliest they were going at was around 8 because, apparently, nobody would there be 'til then and that there was no point in being there at 7... There was no harm in being there for 7 like I wanted, I just didn't see the point in risking getting a bad spot or being down the back. My friends didn't seem to understand this at all :/ Also, I couldn't have just left them and gone to the Academy early like I wanted, because I was the only one who actually knew where The Academy was. In the end, we got there at about 7:50.

I then discovered that the first 100 people through the door got to meet Macklemore and Ryan Lewis after the show (Not us). And through talking to people who got the wrist band for the meet and greet, it was clear that if we had got there at 7 like I wanted, we would've got to meet them. :mad: And when I told my friends that it was their fault, I was to told to "Get over [myself]" and they were coming up with all sorts of sh!t, like saying they would've left whenever I wanted, which was completely untrue. :mad:

I'm a HUGE fan of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis and I would've REALLY REALLY loved to meet them and got a photo etc. Bear in mind, I was the one who introduced Macklemore and Ryan Lewis to my friends, I was the only one who knew where the Academy was and I was the one that bought the tickets and booked the train and the hotel (We're from Cork).

I shall move on, I've learnt my lesson. It won't happen again. As Guru once said "My only crime, was that I'm too damn kind."

Thats why I like going to gigs on my own. You can do as you please without worrying about anyone else. Plus more often than not you end up talking to people around you so its not like youre some loner.

Had a nightmare at Noel Gallagher (my favourite artist outside hip hop) was with a few mates who decided to stay in the bar until he came on and then decided to queue for beer when we got into the arena, missed the first few songs. In hindsight I should have just said f*ck yas and went on in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Thats why I like going to gigs on my own. You can do as you please without worrying about anyone else. Plus more often than not you end up talking to people around you so its not like youre some loner.

Had a nightmare at Noel Gallagher (my favourite artist outside hip hop) was with a few mates who decided to stay in the bar until he came on and then decided to queue for beer when we got into the arena, missed the first few songs. In hindsight I should have just said f*ck yas and went on in myself.

A general rule for me is that I go on my own to gigs. Way too much bull****ting for my liking if you go with other people.

Glad to see others had as good a time as myself at it. I queued up at 6, was second in the queue, doors opened at 7:15....wouldnt let me in without ID, my own fault i suppose even though its been a while since i needed it. had to leg it all the way up o connell street and back for the ID which was in my car and back. went back and had to queue up at almost very end, still got up to the barrier exactly in the middle as most people were at the bar :rolleyes: :D . the second time Ryan was standing in the crowd he was holding my hand. got to feel the sh!it out of Mack both times he went crowd surfing too. then i remembered in the video for Victory Lap Mack was outside the Academy on a cobbled lane, so after the concert I ran back there with my buddy and met Ryan having a smoke and got to shake his hand and thank him. we then realised we had the meet and greet bands so we ran back again, queued up downstairs with everyone else and got to meet them. got my driving license and ticket signed :D

fantastic concert, no doubt he'll be back again soon enough.
    have the heist pre-ordered a few weeks, got the shipping confirmation yesterday :D

hella dope!

183298_471351939562171_1300159191_n.jpg

• Advertisement

I must give Macklemore a listen, not familiar with any of his stuff.

Got my ticket for Immortal Technique in Belfast yesterday. Can't wait!

Macklemore is great, he is one of those known unknowns. You never hear of hip hop gigs being sell outs here in Ireland, that's his second sell out in a row here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Easy listening, popular, but pretty decent music and lyrics sums up macklemore.

Immortal Technique will be hitting Belfast and Dublin as well as the England and Scotland at the end of October if anyone is interested. Venues and tickets to be announced soon.

Think I'll hit the Belfast show, though I can picture some of his rebel talk not going down so well if there's a few narrow minded idiots in the building, something we have plenty of here unfortunately, any excuse for a riot.

"The only republicans I f*ck with live in Northern Ireland"

Any word on the Dublin date? I see the Belfast gig is on Ticketmaster but Dublin not yet. Also looks like it may clash with Muse in the O2, not sure which to check out, Muse live are something else

It hasnt been announced officialy but he has said on twitter that it will be the 3rd November, the night after Belfast.

It hasnt been announced officialy but he has said on twitter that it will be the 3rd November, the night after Belfast.

Cool, cheers! Clashes with Muse then, decisions...

If it was me I would go to Tech for the simple fact that I love the smaller shows compared to the big arena gigs. As much as I love Oasis, none of their gigs have touched some of the small gigs I've been to.

He's playing in Twisted Pepper. Tickets will be up today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

immortalt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 FJamel

Wish I was able to see Macklemore.

Advertisement