Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to buy a boat 5,000

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Would you have storage for a 26foot boat that Baja is a biggie. Also would you have a jeep to Launch her? And you will need an EB licence to tow it.

If it was me i would be looking a little smaller.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

tin79 raises a good point that may cut your choices in half, what car do you drive and what is the towing capacity of it.
    Here is a link that might help http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp?make=Ford#tab1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You'd also need to tow a petrol tanker behind that Baja... There's probably a few reasons it's been for sale for so long. I think Fergal's last boat link looks the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Tabnabs wrote: »
    You'd also need to tow a petrol tanker behind that Baja... There's probably a few reasons it's been for sale for so long. I think Fergal's last boat link looks the best.

Yeah :) n the link above ther is a bayliner 30 foot 6 berth cruiser which says "capable of 30 knots" ( which probably means the same as perfect condition road tested on their private track does for new cars) for 13k sterling. But it will cruise in the mid 20 knots. It has two 150 HP engines. So I looked up consumption hard to find buy I reckon about 18 litres an hour times two that is 36 litres @ 1.50 =54 Euro to get 20 odd miles. or €270 per hundred miles Yes you can get to say Brest France in 20 hours but it will cost you over 1000 euro in fuel.
    Which is why people get cruising yachts and do 5 to 7 knots and take three to four days at a cost of maybe a fiver to 50 euros in fuel if they were using the engine a fair bit. ( well about 1.5 liters/hr for four knots or 7.5 l or about to get 20 odd miles or €55 a hundred miles.

Anyway didn't the OP say he only wanted to plod along at maybe 6 knots?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

I drive a VW transporter LWB 2.5 tdi 130bhp with a tow hitch....
    I hope i can make this happen with fergals boat recommendation!! if not i suppose its not meant to be...

So lads id say i owe a few people a pint or two at this stage but hopeing to call up next week...
    Lets hope im buying into the dream and not the nightmare!!! thanks yall great advise

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    I drive a VW transporter LWB 2.5 tdi 130bhp with a tow hitch....
    I hope i can make this happen with fergals boat recommendation!! if not i suppose its not meant to be...

So lads id say i owe a few people a pint or two at this stage but hopeing to call up next week...
    Lets hope im buying into the dream and not the nightmare!!! thanks yall great advise

Ok the towing capacity is unbraked 750 kg and braked 2500 kg

The yamaha's weight is 163 kg and the fletcher and trailer is about 1,200 kg so if it's braked you will be fine.

this link is very interesting

the history is:
    it was brought in from England at 2,500 sterling... and had an engine change (it had a 3 liter inboard which was grand) the lad selling it did say there were other boats comparable for 6.5 k sterling... now 7,000 euro hhhhhhhhhmmmmmm ::cool:

http://www.fletcher.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=220974

this link is very interesting

the history is:
    it was brought in from England at 2,500 sterling... and had an engine change (it had a 3 liter inboard which was grand) the lad selling it did say there were other boats comparable for 6.5 k sterling... now 7,000 euro hhhhhhhhhmmmmmm ::cool:

http://www.fletcher.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=220974

Now I would be worried about it :eek: there are a lot of factors that come into play when you change from inboard to outboard a hole transom has to be built up to take the strain of such a big motor and unless it's professionally done it could be life threatening. I think I would walk away from this one also I cant see any brake cable on the trailer.

Why change a 3 liter inboard that works good to an outboard yamaha 115...
    & go from 3k to 7k....

perhaps hes a dealer that sold the 3 liter inboard as a recon for 3k now hes selling the boat at 7 at a nice little earner

i would have thought 5 would have been a good offer! tips lads if u buy a boat dirt cheap and sell it on.... get the original add deleted

Hi guys! its a long long shot! but im in Kinsale - is anyone near Sligo that knows about boats and would be willing to check the regal 176 150hp for me??

Its an 8 hour round trip for me & it could be for nothing...
    Just if someone was in Sligo anyways???????

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2697015

or does anyone know a good boat mechanic who will survey an engine and boat for me in sligo please

• Advertisement

These boats are just over 1000kg on there own so again look for a braked trailer that meets EU safety standers, It should have a plate on it giving you the info.
    Best of luck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

A few other boats at the cheeper end that might be worth a look.
    This one has a braked trailer and with a bit of a clean could be a nice boat.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2859058

I like Brooms great classic looking boats and able for a bit of chop this one won't brake the bank and I'd say you would have no problem selling it on.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2722651

Hi there,
    Any ideas on the searay 180, 2003 sport in contrast to bayliners 180 and regal 175??

Also - im not sure how much the fuel cost is:
    (A)????????///
    Top speed for the Sea Ray 180 Sport is 43.3 mph (69.7 kph), burning 10.2 gallons per hour (gph) or 38.61 liters per hour (lph).

(B) 75c ish per km
    Best cruise for the Sea Ray 180 Sport is 23 mph (37 kph), and the boat gets 5.54 miles per gallon (mpg) or 2.36 kilometers per liter (kpl), giving the boat a cruising range of 105 miles (168.98 kilometers).

prob a stupid question because im not into ribs! are they much more economic on the fuel in contrast tyo a bayliner/ searay or regal.

anything to watch out for on a 3.0 liter inboard mercury 135 horse power engine
    .......yuo cant pressure test an inboard can you

any boat inboard mechanics fancy making a few bob tomorrow just after lunch in Yougal / cork area
    please buzz me 0857311616 - or text me and ill call u back!!!!!!!!

Yep you can do a compression test, make sure the power disconnected at the distributor and the plug leads don't get mixed up :D
    Check the power tilt/trim, gearshift and gear oil, engine oil if it is milky there could be water getting in.

Best of luck with her:)

cool fergal - i aint got a compression tester and wouldnt know how to use it if it hit me in the face.. let alone know where the ....... is.

anyone know anything about engines in yougal cork who wants to make 50 squids in 15mins of work tomorrow at 14.00!!!???? 0857311616 or name your price and we can see whats the craic.... an old sea dog i know reckons the inboard stern drives are a disaster .... but then he said if thats the boat you want and its nearly new then its prob good enuff!!

also any lads who do inboard services in cork as foxers or on the cheap???? i know a marine speicalist is about 350 .... but if you know someone theylll do it for 150

also just saw this on wikidpedia:
    With both inboards and stern drives there is a fire and explosion hazard from gasoline fuel vapors within the engine compartment. Typically these boats must run a blower for several minutes prior to starting the engine, and when idling or moving below cruise speed. The blower exchanges the air within the engine compartment with fresh outside air.

should i be worried

2 boats i really like:

(1) Sea Ray sport 175d 7k..... immaculate 2004 - 130hrs on engine - 130bhp.....
    NO EU CERT! i thought who cares its got an american one.... but i called a marine surveyor who does crash investogation -and he said walk away - the boat might be desinged for lakes .... FUKI*G typical the boat not alone has an american safety cert - its not designed for the sea.... the seller emailed me today saying it was designed for lakes........ the lad knew i lived by the sea and never mentioned it.... what a twat
    - also its ilegal to sell about without an eu cert in ireland.....

http://searay.apolloduck.ie/boats.phtml?id=14571

(2) A fletcher faro - inboard tyaken out and outbpoard put on it....

theres a lot of wan*ers selling boats

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

- also its ilegal to sell about without an eu cert in ireland.....

do you think that stops a lot of the sellers on Donedeal etc.:D:D

breghall wrote: »
    do you think that stops a lot of the sellers on Donedeal etc.:D:D

nope what i do think though is that ive been too nice when looking at boats - no more nice guy!
    ive become bitter when it comes to buying a boat as there some shady shmucks dealing boats..
    perhaps just wiser a bit of a learning experience!

how can anyone sell a lake boat to a beginner with the false pretence its perfect for the sea!
    no point mouthing off on a forum cause that wont do any good but im really pissed off

• Advertisement

nope what i do think though is that ive been too nice when looking at boats - no more nice guy!
    ive become bitter when it comes to buying a boat as there some shady shmucks dealing boats..
    perhaps just wiser a bit of a learning experience!

how can anyone sell a lake boat to a beginner with the false pretence its perfect for the sea!
    no point mouthing off on a forum cause that wont do any good but im really pissed off

Just like with a second hand car sales man don't believe any thing anyone tells you :eek: do your home work so you know more about the boat than they do, people will tell you anything to make a sale. They say the happiest days of boating are the day you buy the boat and the day you sell it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

The boat I ski behind is a 4.3m speedboad (carrera) with a 55hp yamaha 2-stroke outboard from the 80's. Now I'm in my late 20's and fond of the pies and it still gets me going with 2 other adults. its small enough to tow and fit in a small shed, worth little or nothing and is very easy to move, launch, retrieve and work on. Parts are cheap and so is the running costs. (about €30 - €50 a day when towing skiiers and toys) It works in the sea but has a tendancy to plough through swell instead of going over it so is fairly uncomfortable

My friend has a 19ft Tahoe with a 3.0l inboard (similar to the boats you are looking at) and he puts about €200 a weekend into it. Its much much bigger, looks great and is far more comfortable but its way heavier and nearly impossible to move around on the trailer by hand. When you accelerate it lifts so far out of the water its difficult to see where your going and it leaves a fairly large wake. I've been on and around boats for the last 10 years, I have a 19ft cruiser myself, and I dont feel comfortable driving this boat, even though its the same size as my own boat it feels way way bigger, heavier and less manouverable.

would a 4.3 inboards mercruiser engine drink more juice than a 3 liter at the same speed of say 20 knotts??

also wonder would a yamaha 90 out board drink much more that a 3 liter mercruiser inboard?? apologies if its a stupid question!!

It's hard to say as there are two many variables to take into account, type of hull, weight, trim, gearbox ratio and so on, once you go into the 70% - 80% RPM range you start to drink. A 4.3 might have a top speed of 60 knots in the top 80% but will do 20 knots at low revs where as a 3 liter could be pushed over the 70%- 80% to do the same especially if you have 4-5 guy's onboard.

If it was me I would go for the 4.3 good quite engine lots of power when you need it and if you are short of a few quid just throttle back and you will have a good day's fun for €50 :D

Here is a good clean looking boat. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2931113

true i was looking at that one allright! but 6k......... i reckon its worth 4...... if i was to sell it in the morning theres no way id get 6 for it... prob 3.5

flthchers are crap though arnt they compared to bayiners or regals... or searays... just they all have the wrong engine for me...

theres a boat in court mac a flthcher dory with yam engine ...best engine on the market but the boat looks manky!

theres always something wrong with them all ............lol..........saying that the faro was nice just inboard to outboard conversion put me off and the fact he doubled the price he paid for it

i think i found it!!!!! what u reckon?? the fletcher sits to low in the water...
    this meets my needs
    http://www.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds/viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=8311148&ad=2564344&s3=true
    Trophy 1700 90hp mercury

Great boat, your going up in price a bit :eek: just be sure to check the trailer it looks like an american launching trailer and they are wider than ours and may not be road legal also I can't see any brakes and this boat on it's own without the engine is 850 kg. The Garda are really clamping down on this and are going to get tougher, also if your van is commercial and you are not in the boat business you may not be covered or allowed to tow a boat.
    Sorry for all the bad new's but it's worth checking out before you spend all your money :D

lol:D

maybe ill just forget buying a boat - such a headache

• Advertisement

Now here is a good one for you and it has a braked trailer :Dhttp://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2937721

Advertisement