Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to buy a boat 5,000

Options
  • 02-01-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi there,
    i want a boat for:
    - sking
    - fishing
    - family
    - bit of rough choppy weather
    - comfortable
    - ready to go
    - good for resale capability

Its gotta be stoored outside my house in a housing estate
    Any ideas please????????? i love the interior of bayliners but the inboard seems like a pain in the as* with weather - a lot of people give out about them though...
    What do people think of this one - apparently only 80hrs on the engine
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2802710

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Ned, lots of good boats about at the moment at a good price so just take your time and look around.
    Here is one that looks clean and may have a service record that you can check.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2218853

If you are new to boats it might be best to go to a dealer and see if you can get one with a warranty, as it's a buyers market they will do anything to make a sale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Thanks fergal - the problem is a lot of the boats i like seem to be about 10k and i dont really want to spend that.... i have money to study for 3yrs so i kinda want something which i can resell easilly in a year or two if i need to - somethin which has the name (such as yamaha engine) ...i like the james bondey looking boats and i like the warriors as u can take them out in rough ish weather....

if the weather dips to -20 which it prob wont i dont have indoor sttorage....

been looking for 2yrs have money waiting to be spent but its so f..... hard to find sdomething good that ticks all the boxes

what ablut this one
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2533135
    i know he wants 10750 - my budget is 5 so i could exotend a bit but - i dont really want to - it seems like yiou need 10 k toi get a decent boat?
    I really really like this one what do people think: ( idont have indoor stoorage though and is that engine odd)
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2697015

this one looks ok too
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2545728

if i do go beyond my budget could i sell this one easilly enuff in a year or two??? fair enuff to loose 2 or 3 k after a bit of use

kinsale area

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Thanks fergal - the problem is a lot of the boats i like seem to be about 10k and i dont really want to spend that.... i have money to study for 3yrs so i kinda want something which i can resell easilly - somethin which has the name (such as yamaha engine) ...i like the james bondey looking boats and i like the warriors as u can take them out in rough ish weather....

The bit in bold would worry me, I'm not sure there is such a boat at the moment. I'm seeing perfectly nice boats being advertised season after season with no buyers evidently. But there are some real bargains out there and if you can afford to put €5k into a boat and not need it back quickly then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Hi there,
    i want a boat for:
    - sking
    - fishing
    - family
    - bit of rough choppy weather
    - comfortable
    - ready to go
    - good for resale capability

Its gotta be stoored outside my house in a housing estate
    Any ideas please????????? i love the interior of bayliners but the inboard seems like a pain in the as* with weather - a lot of people give out about them though...
    What do people think of this one - apparently only 80hrs on the engine
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2802710

Bayliners and similar bowriders have 135hp mercruiser engines which are ideal for skiing etc. If they are winterised properly, you won't have problems with the engine. It's also easy to get parts, service kits for them. Most of the problems people had last winter were because they hadn't been winterised.

If you buy a boat with an outboard thats 80hp plus, as on the adverts you've shown, you won't be able to remove the outboard from the boat when its not being used because they are far too heavy and too big to move in and out of a store. You'll still have to winterise it, especially if it's left on the boat.

Personally, I think you should reconsider the bowriders.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The warrior and raider type boats are deep v hulls making them good and safe for open water but not the best for skiing they will hold their money better as there is a lot of die hard fisherman that like them.
    The bowrider type boats are a good family and all round fun boat that you could tuck away a few fishing rods onboard for inshore fishing. These are leisure boats and as people don't have as much money to spend on leisure items anymore they may be harder to sell.
    Like searay said all boats need to be winterised so rather than looking for a name like yamaha look for an engine that was well looked after, some people swear by honda and some by mercury it's just a mater of taste. My engine is 40 years old and lives outside and is still going strong :)
    If you have €5000, spend €4000 on the boat and use the other to cover insurance, and a full service of the boat,engine, trailer, life jackets and so on.
    Boats can suck you dry and like gambling you may lose your money and be left with a lump of fiberglass in your driveway so if this study money is important to you don't risk it all on a boat and expect to get it back in 3 years. I don't want to put you off boating as I love it but just want to let you know that they are like kids with there hands in your pockets :D

P.S just to get a clearer picture will this be your first boat or do you have any experience with speedboats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The bit in bold would worry me, I'm not sure there is such a boat at the moment. I'm seeing perfectly nice boats being advertised season after season with no buyers evidently. But there are some real bargains out there and if you can afford to put €5k into a boat and not need it back quickly then go for it.

I'd second this. I don't know so much about motorboats - I'm a sailor - but there are winning, well-kitted boats that would've been snapped up in previous years that can't be given away (almost literally) at the moment. And these are on the small/cheaper end of the budget scale, not Lotto-winning monsters.

If you think you'll NEED the money back in the next year or two, I wouldn't be sinking it into a boat - in the current market I think you'd need to be prepared to write that money off unless you were really, really lucky. But as others have said, there's some right bargains to be had out there at the moment for that very reason, so if you can spare the money look around and haggle!

Sorry not to have any constructive advice on an actual boat, but I was just a bit concerned on the assumptions you were making about re-selling. And boats are expensive habits, whatever way you go about it.

Best of luck - boats are brilliant :D

So many questions i drive myslef mad & prob everyone else on this forum:

how much:
    - service (engine)
    - winterise (engine)
    - service trailer
    - insure

-Is it ok to leave outside house over winter
    -Is it hard to launch into sea with vw transporter 2.5td lwb 130bhp (with tow bar)

Is this boat a bad idea to buy and why and how much is it worth? he reckons there much better than bayliners .... do u think this engine type is good

Should i buy this boat instead:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2802855 only 80hrs on enbgine just serviced

Really appreciate any tips - im hapy ive enuff cash to study and thsi is a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

So many questions i drive myslef mad & prob everyone else on this forum:

how much:
    - service (engine)
    - winterise (engine)
    - service trailer
    - insure

-Is it ok to leave outside house over winter
    -Is it hard to launch into sea with vw transporter 2.5td lwb 130bhp (with tow bar)

Is this boat a bad idea to buy and why and how much is it worth? he reckons there much better than bayliners .... do u think this engine type is good

Should i buy this boat instead:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2802855 only 80hrs on enbgine just serviced

Really appreciate any tips - im hapy ive enuff cash to study and thsi is a treat

Ned,

I understand everybody has to start off somewhere , we all did at one time.. It seems to me that maybe you should look for a small 14 -16ft boat with a cheap price tag. Learn how to launch and retrieve without causing damage to you or the boat.find out if it is something you want to keep up, I know of people out there who thought the same, "gonnna buy me a boat , go skiing and fishing etc". Now there lovely boats just sit at the back of their houses and haven't moved (some for over 2 years). BOats aren't everyones cup of tea.

Also there are good sites out there that you can find loads of good advice about the type of engine you would have and how to sevice/winterise it/take care ot it etc. There are deicated owner sites for your boat too where you can find out everything you need to know about your craft.

IMO do more research and see what exactly you want from a boat there are stark differences between the Regal and fletcher Dory you posted which again leads me to think that you really don't know what you want but you want something to throw 5 grand at.

Today it's a buyers market so if you don't like your boat there unfortunately is always the problem of reselling it on , not only may you incur a big loss but you may also be looking at it for quite a long time as many posters on Donedeal can tell the fact.

Don't rush it.

Just my two cent.:D:D

Insurance will depend on
    1) What courses you have done "powerboat level 1-2, VHF and navigation.

2) What experience do you have with boats.

3) What HP is the boat and what is it's top speed.

4) Will you be water skiing, they will load you for this but you must tell them.

5) Will it be kept on a swing mooring at home or in a marina.

6) Where will you be using it "inland or inshore coastal cruising.

7) How much you wish to insure it for along with backup motor and electronics.

I'm sure there are a few more but will give you an idea :D

Engine service can be anything from a few €100 up. If you are buying a boat that you don't know anything about I would be looking at changing the impeller and gear oil on a outboard as well as a full service and on an inboard the impeller, bellows and gear oil on the outdrive and a full engine service.
    The engine should be winterised by now if not you can do this yourself it's not too hard.
    As for the trailer I would replace the bearings about € 40 each and grease up all the nipples.

If you do go to look at a boat bring someone that knows engines and get them to do a compression test on it to make sure that all cylinders are within 10 to 15% psi of each other. Just because an engine runs that doesn't mean it's a good runner :D

I don't think the second boat you posted would make a good sea boat as the sides look a bit low.

You should be ok with your 2.5 VW on most slipways depending on the type of boat you get.
    You might also want to think about joining a boat club I am in this one and we are always willing to help out new boat owners with launching and getting to know their boat in a fun and safe way.http://Powerboat.iwai.ie/
    You are doing the right thing by asking questions to start with so you must have some sort of head on your shoulders , keep asking till you are happy to take the next step :D

Best of luck.

I have:
    -Power boat level 2
    -Safety boat

in regards to rushing it: IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR 2 YRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am looking for the wow factor in a boat i think the regal 176 has it - anyone know of anything as good, or better at that price or below???

If your sking a lot will that really consume 100 euro in 4hrs 3.0(140Hp) with Mercury Alpha Outboard/Drive.????
    i was told today DONT GO FOR INBOARD outboard drive because it will cost 350-500 euro for each service...IS THAT TRUE

What should the pressure test result be?? and where can i get the pressure test from in Cork - auto marine of kinsalke roundabout

this boat looks like the f**** nuts - but its gone - id say these are hard to come buy - this has WOW WRITTEN ALL OVER IT. SEXY...someomne put a large deposit down recently and has the cash apparently to buy it (10k lovely boat)
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2786826

• Advertisement

I think for a 3.0L the psi should be around 140 you would have to check the manual and then take into account the age and what sort of life it had, they may be running 130psi if its a bit worn or 140 if its still good and tight. It should read something like 128,132,130,133 or along those lines in and around 10% difference is ok if one or more looks very low you may have piston damage or a cracked block.
    You can pick up a tester from most marine shops or motor factors they look like this with different fittings for each spark plug size.
    800507_lg.jpg

I spoke to a mechanic and it seems like i wont be going for an inboard engine!
    Pity cause i like the regal 176 advertised on donedeal. It seems like this is a boat that could bleed me dry! (thats not the point of it)

so i guess im looking for a a boat that looks like the regal 176 but has an outboard 75 yamaha for about 5 or 6 k??? any ideas??

I dont mind spending a little bit of cash now and again but i certainly dont want to be paying out a fortune

I spoke to a mechanic and it seems like i wont be going for an inboard engine!
    Pity cause i like the regal 176 advertised on donedeal for 6995. It seems like this is a boat that could bleed me dry! (thats not the point of it) bit disapointed now..

so i guess im looking for a a boat that looks like the regal 176 but has an outboard 75 yamaha for about 5 or 6 k??? any ideas?? cheapest maintenance is what i want.... a lot of bang for my buck

I dont mind spending a little bit of cash now and again but i certainly dont want to be paying out a fortune.......
    what about this 1
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2564344

Any boat you buy is only worth the engine in or on it, I have no problem with inboards and have owned quite a few it's like anything else once they are looked after they can last you a lifetime. Don't be put off I always find it better to buy the boat you like that meets your needs than one you sit in wishing you had bought the other one :D
    Another plus for the inboard is you say you will be leaving the boat outside in a housing estate, with the amount of outboard's been stolen the last few years you might have a hard time holding on to it I have seen hole transoms cut off to get at an engine :eek:
    Just something else to think about :)

On another note here is a Boston whaler they are a good solid boat that resell well and the engine "outboard":) has only 9 hours on it.

http://www.adverts.ie/boats-accessories/fishing-boat-boston-whaler-type-walkaround/1043681

Lovely boat and looks as clean as a whistle!!! i like it...
    but....SORRY.... i have a 1year old and thats no good for her.... & i heard from a boat mechanic that he has scrapped many of these engines... (the one engine he said dont go near)

WHY THE HELL IS IT SO HARD TO FIND A GOOD BOAT FOR 5-7K

Lovely boat and looks as clean as a whistle!!! i like it...
    but....SORRY.... i have a 1year old and thats no good for her.... & i heard from a boat mechanic that he has scrapped many of these engines... (the one engine he said dont go near)

WHY THE HELL IS IT SO HARD TO FIND A GOOD BOAT FOR 5-7K

Ned a bit of time surfing and you'll find something. Seeing as you admired the Regal so much but don't want the inboard engine option , then try these

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2676706

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2692157

http://www.apolloduck.ie/feature.phtml?id=204874

If you plan on bring a 1 year old out you should think of one with a cuddy cabin it's nice to have somewhere warm and dry if the weather turns.

ok nice 1 all..

i have 3-4 boats i really like... what to do now.....

-view boats
    -test drive
    -bring mechanic
    -haggle
    -pressure test
    -guarantee

seems like bringing mechanic is the last thing to do and complex if for example u live in cork and the boat is in sligo

is that about right....

test drive is essential - should i offer to pay for petrol or deposit on driving boat?

1) View the boats,sit in them and get a feel of the space check the floor is good and stiff, clocks and switches working, steering and gearshift are smooth. On the hull look for any repair work look at the lines of the boat and make sure they are clean also any cracks or blistering that might show signs of osmosis.

2) It's up to the seller, for that sort of money he may not bother but should be able to start it up on muffs if he hasen't got muff's I would be worried that the boat was not looked after right.

3) Wait till you have made your final choice and before you hand over the money:D

4) O yea

5) Maybe leave that to the mechanic on the last one, if you are not sure what you are doing the seller may pick up on that and tell you to feck off. basic engine startup should do for now. look for good flow from the pee hole and a nice quite engine, maybe have a look at the gear oil to see if it's milky.

6) Unless you are buying from a dealer you are not going to get any guarantee even then you will be lucky, most second hand boats are "sold as seen" giving you very little comeback unless you get a good honest guy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

ok nice 1 all..

i have 3-4 boats i really like... what to do now.....

-view boats
    -test drive
    -bring mechanic
    -haggle
    -pressure test
    -guarantee

seems like bringing mechanic is the last thing to do and complex if for example u live in cork and the boat is in sligo

is that about right....

test drive is essential - should i offer to pay for petrol or deposit on driving boat?

if you can post links to the boats in question people may be able to advise on specific things to look at as problems differ greatly boat by boat and engine by engine.

As Fergal said you wont get a guarantee that is worth anything which is why you need to do your homework before you hand cash over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Also on the test drive it might not be something the seller is keen to do, I guess it depends on how much they want your money and if they have any other interest.

the last boat i sold one guy insisted on a test drive but I told him it wasnt worth my while for 1.9k. Plenty of other interest so i was happy for him to walk away.

(1) Sear ray 175: 2.5 liter 200bhp Mercury Mariner (outboard) 8 or 9k
    ............................................................................................................
    (2) Regal Vilanti 176. 3.0 140Hp with Mercury Alpha (inboard) 7k
    ............................................................................................................
    (3) Fletcher arrow sport Mercury 75 outboard (outboard) 6k
    (4) Fletcher Mercury 75 (outboard) 6k
    (5) Fletcher GTO Arrowflyte 50 hp Yamaha Outboard 2k

i can provide links to the boats

If you are serious about doing water skiing I don't think you will be happy with the 50hp fletcher unless you are planing to pull kids. With 2 or 3 full grown men in the boat and one in the water you will have a hard time getting out of the hole and up on the plane.
    Also I don't think it's the best type of boat to bring a 1 year old child out in :eek:
    Maybe you should do a bit more thinking on what type of boat you want and what you want to use it for, these are more boys toys type boats than ones for taking out a young family.

My perfect boat is:

Something that looks like a regal/ bayliner/ or searay ....(not a fletcher) with 90 yamaha bhp outboard and perhaps a little sheltered area for a kid ... & under 7k........

Lets be honest a 1 .5 yrs old is only gonna be on the boat now and again and it will be about driving up to a sheltered area at about 6 knots and anchoring up!

Yup it will be a boyz toy predominantly

Don't rule out the fletchers just yet :D This is a nice little one with a bit of power not as flash but would meet all your needs.
    http://sportboats.apolloduck.ie/display.phtml?aid=92208

You have a point!!!! that boat really looks like it makes sense......... i cant knock it.......... everyone always asks about a cuddy........ i wonder what people think who have owned a boat like the faro and one like the searay......
    im a person who spends a lot of time on the water...... friends have an inboard engine and they clocked up more hrs in 1 summer than most do in 5yrs.....

flash harry or practicality............ :cool: i dont think 1 boat will ever be perfect .........surely you will always want something different

I studied auctioneering for a few yrs and commercial property mgt & valuation.... the director said people dont buy houses ... "they buy dreams"....(which turned out to be nightmares!!!) i wonder is this the same thing...however i want the dream...

Well I could not find the dream boat I wanted or if I did I could not afford it so I built it. :D I will also be moving up to a big family boat someday so the play boats will have to go "well maybe one of them":D

ok here we go all bases just about covered,

Boyz Toyz,
    Cuddy,
    7k limit

one hell of a ride:p

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2425510 :cool::P

breghall wrote: »
    ok here we go all bases just about covered,

Boyz Toyz,
    Cuddy,
    7k limit

one hell of a ride:p

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2425510 :cool::P

SWEET smile1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

My perfect boat is:

Something that looks like a regal/ bayliner/ or searay ....(not a fletcher) with 90 yamaha bhp outboard and perhaps a little sheltered area for a kid ... & under 7k........

Lets be honest a 1 .5 yrs old is only gonna be on the boat now and again and it will be about driving up to a sheltered area at about 6 knots and anchoring up!

Yup it will be a boyz toy predominantly

I looked upi my usual source ( no i dont know him personally I just like the site) and noticed he has a few 18 footers with 2 to 4 berths for about 2000 sterling
    http://www.andyseedhouseboats.co.uk/sales/boatlist2008.php?cat=3

Have you a car to tow the likes of these?
    If you get them delivered to the ferry Ill cost about 150 to get them to Ireland and you can pick them up in a port.
    I dont know if the guy will deliver to port but It can scarcely cost ore than another 100 say 350 added on included the Irish travelling? You might spend another hundred or 2 on a survey?

Advertisement