Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-Hop 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Freddie Gibbs on the album with Madlib and who he really wants to work with.

A Gibbs/Jigga song would be amazing.
    What’s the status of the MadGibbs project? What’s it like working with Madlib?

That’s probably going to come out like first quarter of next year. We got a whole album together and it’s dope. It just shows that I’m a versatile artist. I can do the harsh, gritty record with guys like Jeezy and Bun B. Then, I can come over here and do the boom-bap records with Madlib. It’s a good experience. It’s a challenge. I’m all for it.
    If you could work with any living artist, who would it be and why?

Jay-Z because he’s the best. I hope he reads this interview, I’ve been shouting him out in all my interviews. I’m trying to get a song with him. But really, that’s the only nigga I wanna work with. I need a test. I want to test myself lyrically. I **** with Jay-Z, he’s my favorite rapper.

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2012/10/interview-freddie-gibbs-talks-baby-face-killa-jay-z-and-his-album-with-madlib.html

Freddie Gibbs on the album with Madlib and who he really wants to work with.

A Gibbs/Jigga song would be amazing.
    What’s the status of the MadGibbs project? What’s it like working with Madlib?

That’s probably going to come out like first quarter of next year. We got a whole album together and it’s dope. It just shows that I’m a versatile artist. I can do the harsh, gritty record with guys like Jeezy and Bun B. Then, I can come over here and do the boom-bap records with Madlib. It’s a good experience. It’s a challenge. I’m all for it.
    If you could work with any living artist, who would it be and why?

Jay-Z because he’s the best. I hope he reads this interview, I’ve been shouting him out in all my interviews. I’m trying to get a song with him. But really, that’s the only nigga I wanna work with. I need a test. I want to test myself lyrically. I **** with Jay-Z, he’s my favorite rapper.

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2012/10/interview-freddie-gibbs-talks-baby-face-killa-jay-z-and-his-album-with-madlib.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Went on a bit of a mad one on itunes, bought slaughterhouse's new album, aswell as the best of dmx all remastered and recorded, his latest album isnt available here for some reason:confused:. Bought a few singles including gibbs shame track with the chicago kid, really need to get back into gibbs music.

Iv enough left now to buy lamars new album next week, have my SMS headphones ordered from littlewoods hoping i get them within the week. For anyone in the market for headphones there selling the black wireless sync model for 329 euro with the in ear phones free (worth 140 euro) pretty good deal.

litrally cant wait to bang all these albums on the new headphones, a lot of bangers on xzibits album that will sound great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Went on a bit of a mad one on itunes, bought slaughterhouse's new album, aswell as the best of dmx all remastered and recorded, his latest album isnt available here for some reason:confused:. Bought a few singles including gibbs shame track with the chicago kid, really need to get back into gibbs music.

Iv enough left now to buy lamars new album next week, have my SMS headphones ordered from littlewoods hoping i get them within the week. For anyone in the market for headphones there selling the black wireless sync model for 329 euro with the in ear phones free (worth 140 euro) pretty good deal.

litrally cant wait to bang all these albums on the new headphones, a lot of bangers on xzibits album that will sound great.
    would u not just d/l albums for free if your not buying a CD?

MD1990 wrote: »
    would u not just d/l albums for free if your not buying a CD?

i use too the whole time, iv eircom broadband and i got letters warning me about illegal downloads etc so i just started buying my music again, doesnt really bother me the sound qualitys better and its less hassle than going through youtube converter etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I only buy music that deserves it. (If I wanted I could download, or otherwise get, all of it. UPC gotta love them)

Brother Ali, Nas, C-Rayz Walz, The Alchemist and Siyo being the last few I have bought and I will be buying Kendricks new album.

I finally got my Xzibit cd today. The one in HMV couldn't pronounce his name ha.

I've been looking forward to playing it all week. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Lovin that new Kanye track

Also I'd like to officially declare "The South" Dead. RIP

Here is the killer blow

2 rappers who used to have the skills to make the south a force but have been reduced to garbage like this

I used to be a huge t.i fan, still have a soft spot for his music but like you kind of said his new stuff is mostly terrible. Paper trail was his last decent album. I enjoyed that a lot but in fairness he brought out a new song called trap back last month, you should give it a listen its pretty good IMO.

@conor... I'd love UPC but I can't get them till I move back into the city! The only thing is there sh*te for gaming, there ping rates are so high because there giving people speeds there lines arnt really capable of.

@jimmy what's your verdict on napalm so ?

Gaming needs that, but the little gaming I do is console or games that don't need low latency.

TI has always been bad imo, besides the small bits of bearable things he has done much like LW the very very odd time.

With Cee-Lo, STS and others still around you can't say the south is dead unless you are using it in the nas sense.

• Advertisement

TI has always been bad imo, besides the small bits of bearable things he has done much like LW the very very odd time.

I really like his verse on Killer Mike's "Big Beast". He holds his own against Bun and Mike imo.
    With Cee-Lo, STS and others still around you can't say the south is dead unless you are using it in the nas sense.

STS is from Philadelphia as far as I know.

Big K.R.I.T would be another to add to the South list. As would Chamillionaire. His EP was one of the highlights of the year so far.
    @jimmy what's your verdict on napalm so ?

I'm on my second listen. Really like what I've heard so far.

I think 1983 is the best on it. That'll definitely be on replay for a good, good while. I'll have to listen to it a few more times but it could well be in contention for one of my top songs of the year. Having the recording of his mother reciting the poetry really helps to make the song but X nails his verses, big time.

Napalm is a great song as well. That and Louis XIII were the only two I'd heard before and both are very good.

The features are also pretty nice. I've grown to hate Wiz Khalifa over the last while but I'm glad to say I wasn't annoyed with him here. Strange to have him on "Forever a G" and not get a verse out of him though, not that I'm complaining in any way. (I'm choosing to tactically ignore his verse on "Enjoy the Night")

Really happy with my purchase. Can't say yet what I'd give it out of 10 but it's definitely one of the better releases that I've heard so far this year. Which reminds me, I still haven't heard Nas' album.

I really like his verse on Killer Mike's "Big Beast". He holds his own against Bun and Mike imo.

STS is from Philadelphia as far as I know.

Big K.R.I.T would be another to add to the South list. As would Chamillionaire. His EP was one of the highlights of the year so far.

He has his moments, but they are fleeting moments in the scheme of his career.

STS is not from the south? Is it just me or does he sound extremely southern? In style and accent.

Still have not listened to big krit.

He has his moments, but they are fleeting moments in the scheme of his career.

STS is not from the south? Is it just me or does he sound extremely southern? In style and accent.

Still have not listened to big krit.

STS was born in Philadelphia. I'm almost certain that he is still living there.

Can't say I ever really noticed his accent. I'll have a listen out for it the next time.

KRIT is well worth a listen. His mixtapes are very good.

Curren$y is also from the south. Killer Mike is from there as well.

Southern hip hop isn't dead imo. It's just the usual suspects aren't to the fore like they used to be. Weezy is gone. TI isn't far off it.

The South isn't made up of just two rappers. As with everything there is a lot of other good stuff out there.

"so slim where you from? south west ATL ralph lauren to the socks can't you tell?" Atlanta is definitely southern.

"so slim where you from? south west ATL ralph lauren to the socks can't you tell?" Atlanta is definitely southern.

Interesting.

I Googled him there and it seems that he was born in Atlanta and then moved to Philly.

He's always listed as being from Philadelphia.

I always thought of him as a southern rapper, especially in style.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I love older southern hip hop, Goodie Mob, Outkast, UGK, Geto Boys etc, was never a major fan of the newer generation of southern hip hop, Wayne, Nelly, Lil Jon are muck.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Lovin that new Kanye track

Also I'd like to officially declare "The South" Dead. RIP

Here is the killer blow

2 rappers who used to have the skills to make the south a force but have been reduced to garbage like this

'The South' is far from dead, just because T.I. has released a poor song.....well let's be honest, he's released alot of poor songs lately, does not mean that music from a whole region is dead.

T.I. has some serious skills, just lacks direction alot of the time. When you hear him on a decent beat with others around him, he shines, such as the aforementioned Big Beast.

The South also has a huge following of thier own music that doesnt make it outside of 'The South', they like to self contain themselves. There are some artists there that just make music for strip clubs, and they dont intend on releasing it through proper channels. Even Killer Mike tries out his music in strip clubs first before he releases it!

And much like when Nas declared Hip Hop is Dead, it wasn't.

I might be a bit late to the party but i'm loving that new kanye track, absolutely brilliant, sounds like he's finally going back to his roots.

Country grammer by nelly is a great album imo. Nelly use to be class, he's gone cat like many a rapper now mainly due to the fact he just went totally pop. Speaking of nelly he's got busted for guns and drugs and is now facing jail!.

Agree with boom bap's post entirely though. Imo in recent years (mid 00's) the south was the leading light for american hip hop arguable outshining the east and certainly the west coast, KL and black hippy look like there resurrecting the west though. The south had a lot of movements including crunk, chopped and screwed type stuff etc.
    I'm on my second listen. Really like what I've heard so far.

I think 1983 is the best on it. That'll definitely be on replay for a good, good while. I'll have to listen to it a few more times but it could well be in contention for one of my top songs of the year. Having the recording of his mother reciting the poetry really helps to make the song but X nails his verses, big time.

Napalm is a great song as well. That and Louis XIII were the only two I'd heard before and both are very good.

The features are also pretty nice. I've grown to hate Wiz Khalifa over the last while but I'm glad to say I wasn't annoyed with him here. Strange to have him on "Forever a G" and not get a verse out of him though, not that I'm complaining in any way. (I'm choosing to tactically ignore his verse on "Enjoy the Night")

Really happy with my purchase. Can't say yet what I'd give it out of 10 but it's definitely one of the better releases that I've heard so far this year. Which reminds me, I still haven't heard Nas' album.

good stuff, glad you are enjoying it as much as i am.

id agree with everything bar the napalm track, i just cant get into at all. 1983 is a banger, loving some of the lryics on it. The beat on louis XIII has to be one of the better instrumentals this year, dre really pulled one out of the hat there, its just quality.

Nas's albums worth a listen, was my favourite until i heard napalm but its by all means worth a listen/buy imo. His best work since gods son and its about time because he's been releasing rubbish imo for the past ten years bar distant relatives.

• Advertisement

I have country grammar here in front of me, never got through the whole thing, absolutely dire imo

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I have country grammar here in front of me, never got through the whole thing, absolutely dire imo
    :(

That was my absolute jam in 5th class, man.

Won't have a bad word said about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

New Wu-Tang and Kool G Rap "Rivers of Blood" from RZA's movie. Loving this, the soundtrack and movie might get Wu-Tang on that mass commercial scale again.

South is so dead, Name 3 rappers from the south who are hot in the game right now? Because I cant do it.

South is so dead, Name 3 rappers from the south who are hot in the game right now? Because I cant do it.

'hot in the game'? I'm guessing that you mean rapper from the south that are charting and releasing commercial music?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    'hot in the game'? I'm guessing that you mean rapper from the south that are charting and releasing commercial music?
    Not necessarily no. But isn't everyone "commercial" I mean a rapper can hardly call himself underground if he's know all over the fcking world

Again Name 3

Wayne and T.i are both freezing cold right now so you can't have them

Not necessarily no. But isn't everyone "commercial" I mean a rapper can hardly call himself underground if he's know all over the fcking world

Again Name 3

Wayne and T.i are both freezing cold right now so you can't have them

How about Bun B, Curren$y, Killa Mike....i wont stop at 3....Outkast, Juicy J, 3 6 Mafia, Scarface, 8Ball & MJG, Chamillionaire, Flo Rida, Gucci Mane, Mannie Fresh, Pitbull, Rick Jaysusin Ross, Yelawolf, Birdman......and so on and so on

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    , Chamillionaire, Flo Rida, Gucci Mane, Mannie Fresh, Pitbull, Birdman.
    Oh my God you cannot be serious. You better delete that before anyone else sees it. About to lose all credibility:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Chamillionaire is one of the best southern rappers out at the moment.

Advertisement