Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 - 1000 mile challenge - How far have you run since Jan 1st?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Im in the same boat RunningKing, currently at 940ish but injured so feck all running at the minute, not sure if i'll make it before the marathon but had thought it would be the marathon itself that would bring me to the 1000m point...will just have to wait and see how it pans out!!!
    That was me last year, and I passed 1000 in December or something eventually...

A better year this time and I passed 1000 a few weeks ago, lesson is learn from mistakes and listen to my body more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Just did my first half marathon this morning in Cologne. Lovely flat course,no hills at all. Was hoping to break the 2 hr mark and according to the official results I did it in 1:58:12 which I'm delighted about!

Just a question on the distance accuracy. The forerunner watch indicates that I completed 21.78km even though I stopped and started the timer at exactly the moment going over the start and finish mats. At each km marking I noticed that the distances were getting further and further out of sync. I probably didn't take the corners too tightly but that surely wouldn't account for such a difference. Has anyone else noticed differences like this on a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

Just did my first half marathon this morning in Cologne. Lovely flat course,no hills at all. Was hoping to break the 2 hr mark and according to the official results I did it in 1:58:12 which I'm delighted about!

Just a question on the distance accuracy. The forerunner watch indicates that I completed 21.78km even though I stopped and started the timer at exactly the moment going over the start and finish mats. At each km marking I noticed that the distances were getting further and further out of sync. I probably didn't take the corners too tightly but that surely wouldn't account for such a difference. Has anyone else noticed differences like this on a race?
    well done on your time,i ran dublin marathon last year and i finished with 26.7miles on my garmin.i ran dingle this year and took the tightest line and my garmin red 50.001miles:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

GPS devices are less than 100% accurate so chances are the course was measured perfectly and you probably ran a few corners wide but then you'd need to add a % of error for the GPS watch on top of all that...it's kinda like VAT!! Be wary for your next race that you add in a similar percentage of error for your planned pace so you won't be agonisingly left a few seconds short of your target time.
    Well done anyways!

well done on your time,i ran dublin marathon last year and i finished with 26.7miles on my garmin.i ran dingle this year and took the tightest line and my garmin red 50.001miles:)

Must've been a short course ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

...Just a question on the distance accuracy. The forerunner watch indicates that I completed ....

On my regular 10 mile training run my garmin 405 can give me a different distances by as much as 300 meters. It does have to do with how tight you take corners, but also I presume its the nature of measuring stuff by satelites 100 miles away / losing a signal for a second / poor software algorithms in the device itself.

Its unlikely (but not unheard of) that an officially measure course will be wrong. Unoffically measured distances are usually very wrong. The "20km" Cavan to Arva fun run is actually 21.6km ;)

Muppet Man.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    On my regular 10 mile training run my garmin 405 can give me a different distances by as much as 300 meters. It does have to do with how tight you take corners, but also I presume its the nature of measuring stuff by satelites 100 miles away / losing a signal for a second / poor software algorithms in the device itself.

A friend of mine (Duke of Dromada) left his GPS in the back garden on top of a chair one day for 3hrs 20mins. When he downloaded the data the watch thought it had moved approx 200m!!
    Use them as a guide but always allow for a little extra distance at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

and finally....

Whoop, whoop! Made it to the 1000miles today on a session run along by the Bray seafront, in the dark, with the white capped waves gently lapping against the black beach. Lovely! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Topped the 1500 mile mark this week, still playing catch up on last year's mileage, might just get there with an injury free last quarter!

For the 1st time this year my year end estimate is > last year's mileage - bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

2000 :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

That's savage stuff Ray.
    Is it fairly even ~50m weeks or have you some higher running weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Nice one Ray, we were neck and neck there for a while, well done!

RayCun wrote: »

You forgot"into/home from work @ easy pace"!!

That's savage stuff Ray.
    Is it fairly even ~50m weeks or have you some higher running weeks?

Eh, gradual buildup from 40-45 mile weeks in the first half of the year to ~55 mile weeks now. A few 60 mile weeks in August, but generally pretty steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

RayCun wrote: »

Congrats Ray:)

Are you sure you didn't put an injury hex on me so you could beat me to it?;)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Are you sure you didn't put an injury hex on me so you could beat me to it?;)

It's well-known, I'm some sort of inverse Jonah. Never ever get into a race with me if you value your health :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Hit the 2000 mark running up through Terenure in the Dublin Marathon yesterday, nice way to hit the mark :)

well done rolex:)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

well done rolex:)

Thanks Ray. I think you were pacing 3:15? I did a very enjoyable progression run starting behind the 3:30 balloon and working my forwards after the first 10k Thought I might catch you guys before the end and say hello but I didn't quite make it. It was great finishing fresh though and being able to properly enjoy the fantastic atmosphere and crowd support.

Rolex_ wrote: »
    Thanks Ray. I think you were pacing 3:15? I did a very enjoyable progression run starting behind the 3:30 balloon and working my forwards after the first 10k Thought I might catch you guys before the end and say hello but I didn't quite make it. It was great finishing fresh though and being able to properly enjoy the fantastic atmosphere and crowd support.
    yep paced the 3.15,really injoyed it,i will be pacing in clonakillty in dec,might c u there.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hit the 1000m mark during mile 9 of the Marathon yesterday. Sweet!!!
    Never thought i'd be running that kind of mileage!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dermo09

I'm sitting on 785 at the moment...I am aiming for the 1000 mark on 31/12/2012...ive never ran that amount before in a year in my life....540 of them in Vibrams....hopefully the weather can stay snow and ice free for my weekend long runs....

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Dermo09 wrote: »
    I'm sitting on 785 at the moment...I am aiming for the 1000 mark on 31/12/2012...ive never ran that amount before in a year in my life....540 of them in Vibrams....hopefully the weather can stay snow and ice free for my weekend long runs....

Now that I'd like to try , downhill, fast !!:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Was meant to pass 2000 during DCM but injury got in the way, so next best thing was during tonights birthday run :D

Nov 5th
    2,000.60 mi
    277:44:35 hrs :eek:
    8:20 avg pace (min/miles)
    236 activities

I'm at 993 miles.

Wondering where I'll run to break the 1000? methinks the Phoenix Park is just the place.
    Maybe I'll time it to be running by the papal cross or the Aras (or in between them both) - so I can tell my kids, "this is where your daddy broke 1000m".

Or maybe I'm getting a little bit carried away with this and should just go run................ :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Maybe I'll time it to be running by the papal cross or the Aras (or in between them both) - so I can tell my kids, "this is where your daddy broke 1000m".
    Try the US Ambassador's residence. Make it really memorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Passed 1000 today in the rain.

Joined the 1000m club today (more specifically, joined the 1600 club as I changed my Garmin to KM's)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It was only on the hotel treadie, but today's run brings up 2,000 miles :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    It was only on the hotel treadie, but today's run brings up 2,000 miles :D

congrats thats amazing i am only a runing baby in awe of numbers logged here.

Just added name to sheet but no chance to hit 1000m but hoping to make 500m by eoy, which are done since July so its my marker to do it next year if i can do same miles for full year

Advertisement