Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Next up for contract, Joe Flacco. Hopefully we can get a deal done with him too. I have no doubt he is a franchise quarterback, and is an elite talent. It's a shame we don't have more deep threats, because he could kill defenses if he got a chance to use the deep ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Deep threats?

Just give young Tommy Streeter some time, he's not there yet but he'll get there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

matthew8 wrote: »
    Hopefully we can get a deal done with him too. I have no doubt he is a franchise quarterback, and is an elite talent

Is he elite ? Id agree his performance in the AFC championship game last year was excellent and showed he could be a franchise QB but elite mmm he did have some horrendous games last year.

Is he elite ? Id agree his performance in the AFC championship game last year was excellent and showed he could be a franchise QB but elite mmm he did have some horrendous games last year.

No way is he an elite QB right now, but his arm is one of the best around, and he's not lacking at all in other physical capabilities. Cam Cameron holds him back big time. How are you supposed to play well when the defense knows what's coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

matthew8 wrote: »
    Cam Cameron holds him back big time. How are you supposed to play well when the defense knows what's coming?

cam.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

He's on the border line elite, probably the same limbo that Eli was in last year. He is a winner and can make a lot of clutch plays but god when the Ravens are playing bad you have to point the finger at him. Though he is one of the top QB's you'd want in a play off game, he can do no wrong there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Stev_o wrote: »
    He's on the border line elite, probably the same limbo that Eli was in last year

:eek:

Give me a choice between Eli at this time last year or Flacco right now, I'd choose Eli 100 times out of 100. That's a crazy thing to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Not a fear of Flacco being elite right now, or very close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Stev_o wrote: »
    He's on the border line elite, probably the same limbo that Eli was in last year. He is a winner and can make a lot of clutch plays but god when the Ravens are playing bad you have to point the finger at him. Though he is one of the top QB's you'd want in a play off game, he can do no wrong there.

Eli was border line elite last year and he had a ring. FLacco doesn't have one yet. I agree with Matthew to a degree that his coordinator didn't help but hes going to have prove he can put it on the money in a more varied passing style offense .

Flacco is not close to Eli's level yet. Could he be ? Of course he can but not for a few seasons yet.

I think if you gave joe what Eli had last year, he would've put up similar stats. Eli had 3 wide receivers who could all go deep. Flacco had one, and he couldn't catch. I don't think we know Flacco's true potential because the Ravens are too much of a running team. I mean it's really a joke that we have the strongest arm in the league and only one guy who can go deep, and that's his first real deep threat in his 4 years in the league.

• Advertisement

Bryant McKinnie not at camp.

He's probably off in a stripclub somewhere ;)
    The man sure loves to party, if you follow him on twitter it was partying all summer
    Harbaugh's famous doghouse awaits

Michael Oher at LT :eek:
    That's no solution at all

We are stuffed full of interior linemen, so many of them, they keep signing more and more for camp.
    Hope my man Justin Boren makes the roster

OT has to be sorted, if not this season then next draft.

Big Mike might be fine if he didn't have to change position every year. Harbs sounds more worried about RT, but Jah Reid should be ready to go by now once he returns from injury. Apparently this Harewood guy is pretty good too. Who knows, maybe Jack Connell will be a superstar in camp and be the opening day starter, this year's Cary Williams.

Harewood has missed two seasons on IR and has had surgury to both knees

He's currently out of camp with a leg injury

This is his last shot

There is a roster spot open for a tackle but he's one injury away from being cut and his career finished

Oher has slimmed down a lot:

603578_10150973171131229_1535356327_n.jpg

Ray Lewis also says he's the lightest he's ever been going into an NFL season:

480814_10150973168596229_252457557_n.jpg

McKinnie needs to get something sorted and back on the field ASAP as his financial situation isn't good, to say the least. He took a huge gamble the day before the lockout and took out a $4m loan with massive interest rates from an outside company ''specializing in loans for NFL guys that would suffer from the lockout'' and the loaners could call it all in if he missed one payment, which he did when he was cut from the Vikings. They took him to court and he now needs to come up with the money soon.

Reported by Yahoo sports
    Ravens have already fined McKinnie $30k for missing Wed report day

I thought he was supposed to have a valid excuse but seems not

On another note, Ed Reed didn't get fined when he missed mandatory OTA's

Kyle Boller retired today

Gets a lot of hate and derisiion from some fans but he does not deserve it all

As the team was not so good always, Harbaugh may have gotten four straight playoff appearances but there were some poor seasons before his time

Boller does not deserve all the hate, was a great team player, never ever complained to the media and always did his best. Best wasn't good enough unfortunatly

However he doesn't need my support, he's young, banked millions and married to a model

"Where did it all go wrong?" said the hotel porter to George Best. Did it go wrong?

kyle-boller-action-655x350.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Paully D wrote: »

McKinnie needs to get something sorted and back on the field ASAP as his financial situation isn't good, to say the least. He took a huge gamble the day before the lockout and took out a $4m loan with massive interest rates from an outside company ''specializing in loans for NFL guys that would suffer from the lockout'' and the loaners could call it all in if he missed one payment, which he did when he was cut from the Vikings. They took him to court and he now needs to come up with the money soon.

Hard to have sympathy for that fat lazy slob (medical weight issues or no). He will let you down time and again. Even at his rare professional best he's very average.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    He's probably off in a stripclub somewhere ;)
    The man sure loves to party, if you follow him on twitter it was partying all summer
    Harbaugh's famous doghouse awaits

And so it was

Pics floating around the internet of McKinnie partying this weekend in Miami while the rest of the team are sweating it out in 35 degree heat
    I don't know if they're accurate or not but I believe it

He'll be at camp tomorrow

Harbaugh is gonna murder him!

• Advertisement

Kindle may be wearing a mic this season:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000046153/article/ravens-sergio-kindle-might-wear-helmet-with-mic
    After two lost seasons -- one to a fractured skull, another to an inability to grasp the playbook -- outside linebacker Sergio Kindle reportedly has been one of the more impressive players for the Baltimore Ravens during this year's training camp.

Between the free-agent departure of Jarrett Johnson and Achilles tendon injury to Terrell Suggs, Kindle's emergence couldn't have come at a better time. After logging just 32 snaps, including 15 on defense, Kindle now is squarely in the mix for a starting job along with Paul Kruger and 2012 second-round draft pick Courtney Upshaw.

One issue that continues to work against Kindle is the permanent loss of hearing in his left ear because of the fractured skull he sustained during the summer of 2010. To get around that, the Ravens are exploring the possibility of a helmet equipped with a microphone so Kindle can hear his teammates better on the field, Jeff Zrebiec of The Baltimore Sun reports.

"It sounded like a good idea," Kindle said of the plan, which Zrebiec describes as being in the preliminary stages. "It was just something that was thrown in the air. It sounded good, if possible."

"If possible" is the operative term. Even though it levels the playing field, such a device could be perceived as giving Kindle and the Ravens an unfair advantage and would have to meet the NFL's approval. There is precedent, however, thanks to the man whose name adorns the trophy awarded to the Super Bowl winner.

When he was coach of the Washington Redskins in 1969, Vince Lombardi ordered tests on the hearing of rookie running back Larry Brown, who was late off the snap of the ball. It was determined that Brown was hearing-impaired in one ear, so a hearing aid was installed in his helmet to helped relay the snap count. Brown went on to play in four Pro Bowls and was league MVP in 1972.

As long as the microphone wasn't connected to a coach or the sidelines, it would be hard to understand why Kindle wouldn't be allowed to use technology from over 40 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Lads, there's a person yet to confirm in Boards Div 1 for the Fantasy Football - has a Ravens logo for his team and name is Sean. That any of ye by any chance?

Justin Tucker has apparently been very impressive in camp. Tucker nailed 8 or 8 kicks in practice in game simulated situations to put a bit more pressure on, his longest being a 62 yard attempt which sailed over. Cundiff nailed 7 or 8 missing a 65 yard attempt with his longest being 57.
    "It's amazing the competitiveness of these guys," Harbaugh said. "Tuck makes the (62)-yarder, so Billy's like, 'Put it at 65.' I tell you, it was a great kick, just a little short. Those kicks were pretty amazing."

Cundiff had nothing to feel too bad about. After all, the kick was from 65. Later on in a hurry-up simulation with the game on the line, Cundiff hit a 57-yarder. So there was some consolation at the end of the day.

Looks like an interesting battle but many reporters have Tucker in the lead so there's a good chance Cundiff may get cut.

He's a pretty good punter too:

Tommy Streeter, our 6th round WR rookie is heading to IR

Foot injury ;)

Awful shame ;)

Nothing to do with keeping a raw young player with great potential around for a year of course and fearing he'd be snatched off the practice squad ;)

Mysterious injuries happen to young players around this time of year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

LaQuan Williams looked quite good for you's, some nice young depth appearing there.

Matter of time before Cundiff gets cut and Tucker gets the starting kickers job now I'd imagine. In an interview after the Jags game he looked like he was about to punch the reporter in the locker room when asked about why he didn't kick that night and said something like ''well frankly I'll take my talents elsewhere then, my record stacks up.'' That won't have gone down well.

Tucker has looked very impressive in preseason and deserves a shot at it IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Cundiff was cut this morning apparently...

Fantastic. We are finally free of a kicker who can kick no longer than 50 yards at a stretch.

The right decision IMO. That is one cut meeting I'd love to have seen on Hard Knocks. The way Cundiff has been talking over the last few days he won't have taken it well at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Hi everyone. I am new to watching American Football. Recently I decided that I would follow the Baltimore Ravens.
    Have just seen two pre-season games so far.
    Joe Flacco, Michael Oher and Ray Rice have caught my eye so far.
    Who else should I look out for ? The rules do not seem too bad to follow so far.
    Thanks

Advertisement