Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Paully D wrote: »
    Osemele is off to Oakland for 5/$60m. Disappointing to lose him but best of luck to him. There's just no way on earth we could even come close to that offer and the Raiders have a mountain of cap space to splash. A nice signing for Carr.

In other news we've signed Ben Watson (TE). It probably shows that the Pitta comeback is done unfortunately but he, Gillmore and Williams should have us set at the position next season. That's a nice trio. In addition, he should be a good influence on Crockett and Maxx.

The chances of taking Tunsil or Stanley at #6 just increased massively I'd imagine.

Unlikely either will make it... chance with Stanley but Tunsil is going 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Unlikely either will make it... chance with Stanley but Tunsil is going 1st.

I'd much rather we addressed the secondary or pass rush anyway so I really wouldn't be pushed. I'd expect Tunsil to go #1 too but if he doesn't, there's a chance he could slip out of the top 5. As things stand, I do think Stanley will be there at #6.

Ideal situation for me is that Titans go Tunsil, Browns go QB, Chargers go Stanley, Cowboys go Buckner. That means that we'd be guaranteed 1 of Ramsey, Hargreaves or Bosa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Sad to see Osemele go. We must be targeting a left tackle first in the draft. We need a dedicated player for the position. The offensive line has seen players fill in all over the line the past 2 years.
    Ravens normally tend to pick the best available player at the time of their pick. Left tackle, pass rusher then cornerback.

Who the experts are predicting we take as things stand:

Stanley (6 analysts)
    Bosa (4 analysts)
    Buckner (2 analysts)
    Hargreaves (1 analyst)
    Jack (1 analyst)
    Tunsil (1 analyst)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

Who the experts are predicting we take as things stand:

Stanley (6 analysts)
    Bosa (4 analysts)
    Buckner (2 analysts)
    Hargreaves (1 analyst)
    Jack (1 analyst)
    Tunsil (1 analyst)

I would love to take Jack! Between him, Mosley and Will Hill I think you take away most of the middle of the field!

• Advertisement

Two 4th's and a 6th as our compensatory picks this year.

Very sad news about Tray Walker this morning. Critically injured in a motorbike accident.

Very sad news about Tray Walker this morning. Critically injured in a motorbike accident.

Sorry Kev, I just saw your post here after I posted it in the main thread. Terrible, terrible news.

Cd3ZSMcW4AQgzCb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

• Advertisement

Not sure how I feel about Trent Richardson being brought in. The guy obviously has the talent but not sure if he will succeed.
    Eric Weddle and Mike Wallace are two players we really needed. Looking forward to the draft. I hope we keep our first round pick and draft a decent player we can use.

Great news for us today with that big trade. It means a QB is definitely going #1 and possibly #2 also.

Picking at #6, I was worried the chips wouldn't fall in our favour and all of the truly elite guys would go in the top 5 and we'd be left with someone like Stanley (who is a very good player so no disrespect, but after the season we endured I'm hoping for a better player with a top six pick).

Now we are guaranteed to have at least one, possibly two of Tunsil, Ramsey, Bosa, Buckner or Jack - the real top tier guys - on the board at #6.

Brilliant news indeed! At this point my head wants Tunsil but my heart wants Ramsey or Jack. Its going to an exciting draft this time around

Schedule released and while last year was tough going with the road trips (no team since ourselves in 2000 had started with 5 road games out of the first 7 until we did in 2015), we really have no excuses on that this year.

This year we face 1 playoff team from 2015 in the first 7 games, have a bye week just before the Steelers at home in week 9, have 13 of the 16 games at 1pm eastern with only one game outside the eastern timezone and just 2 primetime games. That said, the end of the season is very tough but there's no excuse for us not to have a solid winning record with a bit of momentum built up before then. We should really be aiming to be 6-1 or 5-2 at worst heading into that bye week.

af8cc7ea0564669c35bdc35665477f76.png

The Steelers game is on Christmas Day. :eek::D

More good news for us tonight with the Eagles trading up to #2. That'll be a QB going #1 and #2, meaning at least two of Ramsey, Tunsil, Bosa, Buckner or Jack are going to be on the board when we're on the clock. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

More good news for us tonight with the Eagles trading up to #2. That'll be a QB going #1 and #2, meaning at least two of Ramsey, Tunsil, Bosa, Buckner or Jack are going to be on the board when we're on the clock. :D

Hard to know what way things would fall with that group but who would be your preferred pick out of that lot?

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Hard to know what way things would fall with that group but who would be your preferred pick out of that lot?

Ramsey all day long for me mate. Fills a huge need with one of the best players in the draft.

I'll be over the moon with any of those listed players however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Ramsey all day long for me mate. Fills a huge need with one of the best players in the draft.

I'll be over the moon with any of those listed players however.

With all the Hargreaves pressure in the mock draft I assumed as much.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    With all the Hargreaves pressure in the mock draft I assumed as much.

Secondary has been so, so poor for us. Most touchdowns allowed in the NFL last year and fewest interceptions too. The addition of Weddle along with Jimmy Smith getting back to health (hopefully, but I do remain skeptical he can ever get back to the level he was at) should see an improvement but adding a playmaker in the draft could completely turn it on it's head.

That said, how can you complain about adding rushers like Bosa or Buckner when Suggs is coming off his injury and may never be the same again, a LT like Tunsil when Monroe has struggled to stay on the field and Flacco has been getting eaten alive, or Myles Jack who is a freak.

Mel Kiper gives us Bosa and Mackensie Alexander in the first 2 rounds of his latest mock. Something like that would be dreamland stuff, but where we are picking we definitely should be targeting 2 big playmakers early on.

I'm gutted with the Stanley pick, especially when Buckner was still there. Absolutely gutted. :(

• Advertisement

Hopefully Ronnie Stanley will be around for many years. Eugene Monroe will probably be moved on now. We did need a offensive tackle.
    Who is likely for round 2 ?

The pick is a bit underwhelming but probably a safe pick that turns out to be solid in a few years!

Really want Jack in Round 2 but not sure what the Ravens doctors thing of the knee

Confirmed that the Ravens tried to get up to #4 ahead of the Cowboys to take Ramsey once the Chargers took Bosa, but the Cowboys didn't want to go down two spots as they were worried they wouldn't get their man at #6.

Balls. :(

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/27321/ravens-attempted-to-trade-into-top-five-for-jalen-ramsey
    The Baltimore Ravens looked to trade up into the top five to get the best athlete in this year's draft.

The Ravens contacted the Dallas Cowboys about moving up two spots to No. 4 to draft Florida State cornerback Jalen Ramsey, a league source confirmed. It was first reported by the Dallas Morning News.

Baltimore offered its first-round pick and one of its four fourth-rounders, but the Cowboys feared they wouldn't get Elliott by dropping two spots, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Ramsey was taken at No. 5 by the Jacksonville Jaguars, and Baltimore eventually selected Notre Dame offensive tackle Ronnie Stanley at No. 6. After making their pick, team officials acknowledged they talked about trading up.

"We had some conversation in the room, and I would say we talked to a team," general manager Ozzie Newsome said Thursday night.

It's no surprise that Baltimore tried to get Ramsey after he fell past the San Diego Chargers at No. 3. It's presumed Ramsey was one of the two top-ranked players on the Ravens' board.

Ramsey would've been a great fit for a Ravens pass defense that ranked last in the NFL in 2015 with six interceptions and set a franchise record by allowing 30 touchdown passes.

Thanks for that Paully. I just think we needed this new guy to get our run game back on track. Flacco has been getting hammered the last 2 seasons also with little protection..

We have plenty of picks left to stock up our defense so hopefully a corner and pass rusher next.

We have plenty of picks left to stock up our defense so hopefully a corner and pass rusher next.

Completely agree. If we come out of rounds 2 and 3 with a good CB, rusher and/or a WR I'll be pleased with tonight's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The Cowboy's would have definitely got Zeke picking at 6, strange they turned it down.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The Cowboy's would have definitely got Zeke picking at 6, strange they turned it down
    Don't sure if thats strictly true! If Ravens take Ramsey at 4 then Jags could easily have trade out of 5 for somebody that wanted Elliot!

Ozzie is going full Ozzie tonight. 2 trade backs already, so we've gone from #36 to #42 in the 2nd round (for the moment anyway!) but we now have five 4th round picks.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy night. :pac:

• Advertisement

So here's our full draft class:

865dcf01084b13f0b2a7ed6926e736b1.png

The experts love it (I know they love everyone's draft class, but they seem really high on ours) but I have to be honest and say I'm not all that impressed. Admittedly I'm still a bit sour over the Stanley pick which I hope makes me look silly, but at every slot apart from Dixon, there's probably an alternative player available that I'd have preferred. And the failed trade for Ramsey was a huge disappointment though obviously that's not anyone's fault.

When you think we could have had Tunsil/Buckner and Jack in rounds 1 and 2 and we ended up with Stanley and Correa, well it will either look very smart or very foolish in a couple of year's time. Schefter has reported that the Ravens were all set to take Tunsil until the video surfaced too.

Ozzie rightly gets lots of praise for his draft ability, but our drafts of late have been very average. We need to make numerous hits this year after making 11 picks or questions need to start being asked IMO which is fair enough all things considered.

That said, keeping Dean Pees on as DC means we could have had five 1st round picks and used them all on defense and we'd still be likely to struggle. How on earth has he managed to keep his job?

Advertisement