Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Getting the win today was pointless, good for fans and all but would have helped us more to lose and Flaccos injury really rubbed it in. A top 3 pick would be great but I can't see us actually making a pick at that spot, I'd expect Ozzie to try figure out some kinda of trade to drop down the order though I don't see too many players in the draft who are going to convince a team to trade away much. Would love if we got a trade like the RG3 deal though don't think that will ever happen again.

Now that we're out of it I want Cam to win it all with Greg Olsen and Riverboat Ron.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Getting the win today was pointless, good for fans and all but would have helped us more to lose and Flaccos injury really rubbed it in. A top 3 pick would be great but I can't see us actually making a pick at that spot, I'd expect Ozzie to try figure out some kinda of trade to drop down the order though I don't see too many players in the draft who are going to convince a team to trade away much. Would love if we got a trade like the RG3 deal though don't think that will ever happen again.

Now that we're out of it I want Cam to win it all with Greg Olsen and Riverboat Ron.

Completely agree re: the win today and Ozzie wanting to trade out. I suppose it all depends on what type of deal we could get (if any), but given how desperate we are for help on both sides of the ball (especially rusher and secondary) I think we'd be mad not to take Bosa, Hargreaves or Ramsey if we have the chance.

Paully D wrote: »
    Completely agree re: the win today and Ozzie wanting to trade out. I suppose it all depends on what type of deal we could get (if any), but given how desperate we are for help on both sides of the ball (especially rusher and secondary) I think we'd be mad not to take Bosa, Hargreaves or Ramsey if we have the chance.

Yeah would be great to get someone like that but I just don't see it. I really hope Perriman turns out to be a decent player because we are so weak at WR its crazy. Aiken is a nice player to have but nowhere near a 1 or 2 WR. We went from having Torrey who while not a great receiver was crucial to Flaccos game to stretch the field out and keep the DBs honest even if his main skill towards the end of his time here was drawing DPI flags. You could almost guarantee he'd either haul in 1 50+ yard pass or draw a flag on a 50+ yard throw.

Its easy to be downbeat now I know but I honestly think it'll be 2017/18 season before we're back to where we were. Depressing.

San Diego's win in Jacksonville tonight is very good news for our draft position. I was hoping the Titans would beat the Raiders too, but if we lose in Cleveland tomorrow we'll go 2nd overall behind Tennessee. Titans and Raiders wins along with us losing to the Browns would have actually sent us #1! :eek:

Watch us go out and win in Cleveland now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

What an ending again!! Browns kick to win which is blocked and returned for a TD.

It all evens out after the Jaguars fiasco!

• Advertisement

Ugh. Such a meaningless, pointless win last night. Typical that we'll probably put a run together now when nothing good can come from it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Ravens lose again. Frustrating season. Maxx Williams and Crockett Gillmore injured. Hopefully we get decent draft picks.

Ravens lose again. Frustrating season. Maxx Williams and Crockett Gillmore injured. Hopefully we get decent draft picks.

An awful season with a hell of a lot of things going against us, but I can't say I'm disappointed to see us losing. Before today we were only in line for the 8th overall pick :eek: It'd be a nightmare if we were picking outside the top 5 when all is said and done considering how bad the season has gone. That's why beating teams like the Browns last week will only do more harm than good. We're not doing anything in terms of playoffs so lets just get the highest pick possible and regroup next season.

Yeah with Jimmy Clausen in as QB for the foreseeable future we should lose out unless theres a miracle. I'm just looking towards the draft now, hard not to get excited at the possibilities when I'm used to us trading out of the 1st round. Would be nice to get Ramsey but I honestly have no clue what Ozzie will do, he could easily trade out of the top 10 to a late pick.

Nick Boyle suspended for the rest of the season for using performance enhancers. What a clown :rolleyes: We literally have no TE's for next weekend.

If we don't lose out and/or end up picking outside the top 3-5 I'll flip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Steve Smith is coming back next year. There's a huge help to our WR corps for 2016 already. Great news!

Seeing Ryan Mallett start for the Ravens today is vomit-inducing. There's not many players I dislike more than him. Ugh. :mad:

Lets hope he sets his alarm clock for the right time and makes it to the game. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

I see the logic in hoping your also-ran team loses in order to get a higher draft pick but have never been able to embrace it.....what a beautiful win to screw the Steelers :D

radharc wrote: »
    I see the logic in hoping your also-ran team loses in order to get a higher draft pick but have never been able to embrace it.....what a beautiful win to screw the Steelers :D

It's always nice to beat the Steelers and hopefully it will lead to them missing out on the playoffs when all is said and done next week, but it's a meaningless win for me really.

I know lots of people disagree, but I just don't see the point in finishing say 5-11 or 6-10 when there's absolutely nothing on the line really. Knocking the Steelers out of the playoffs is cool and all but what does it do for Baltimore except maybe make us miss out on Joey Bosa or Vernon Hargreaves, two players who could be complete game-changers for us?

That's just the way I look at. I completely understand why others can't embrace it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Paully D wrote: »
    It's always nice to beat the Steelers and hopefully it will lead to them missing out on the playoffs when all is said and done next week, but it's a meaningless win for me really.

I know lots of people disagree, but I just don't see the point in finishing say 5-11 or 6-10 when there's absolutely nothing on the line really. Knocking the Steelers out of the playoffs is cool and all but what does it do for Baltimore except maybe make us miss out on Joey Bosa or Vernon Hargreaves, two players who could be complete game-changers for us?

That's just the way I look at. :)

I know, I know, but I just can't bring myself to root for a loss.

Also imo there is something to be said about the danger of accepting a losing attitude inside an organisation; the Browns, Titans et al have had the cream picks for years but can't shed the loser culture.

I know, I know, but I just can't bring myself to root for a loss.

Also imo there is something to be said about the danger of accepting a losing attitude inside an organisation; the Browns, Titans et al have had the cream picks for years but can't shed the loser culture.

Completely understand mate.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather we had something positive to cheer for each week, but I'm a huge believer in the draft process and a huge draft fan so when we start off the season 1-4 and I see the difference someone like Bosa and Hargreaves could make to our team I just think "feck it, there's no chance of the playoffs so I'll roll with the short term pain for the long term gain".

Your last point re: losing culture is a good one. I'm sure players and coaches would never purposely lose as too many of them have too many seperate interests (e.g., a coach might be told he's safe but a player needs to put good plays on tape in case he's cut to make way for the new, highly drafted player etc for example and there's no way it wouldn't go public at some stage) but yeah, I'm sure that sort of culture can seep in easily enough.

Opponents for next season have been finalised anyway:

vs - Browns, Bengals, Steelers, Bills, Dolphins, Eagles, Redskins, Raiders
    @ - Browns, Bengals, Steelers, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, Giants, Jaguars

A lot can and will change between now and then, but it looks a mixed schedule on paper for now.

We could quite easily go unbeaten at home if things go well, and quite easily lose all of those road games. On the plus side we've only got one game outside of the eastern time zone which will help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

the game tonight was just a bad one from a Steelers perspective. They've been at least in touch for all games except Kansas and now Baltimore this week. The defense relies on turnovers, but didn't get any and the offense was awful.

The first game, the 23-20, that one screwed the Steelers - so many chances to win but literally kicked away by Scobee. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I just want to stop by and say thanks, fcuking fantastic result earlier!!

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    I just want to stop by and say thanks, fcuking fantastic result earlier!!

No problem mate. You can send us over one of those pass rushers to say thanks, there's really no need for you to have that many good ones! :pac:

Down to #8 overall in the 2016 draft order now and with the way the schedule is next week it's not likely to get any better.

That'll mean the 3 players that really could have changed things for us - Bosa, Hargreaves and Ramsey - could well be all gone.

I suppose the only saving grace will be that the Browns seem likely to take a QB, while the Titans and Chargers are being mocked T's by many experts, and then you have the 49ers who are also in need of a QB.

But not being guaranteed one of the aforementioned 3 is not the "reward" I was hoping for for enduring this season.

Thank Christ that season is over. The draft order is set for non-playoff teams and we're picking 6th thanks to today's results. Thank you 49ers! It's a shame the Chargers couldn't do it from good positions but I won't get too greedy. :pac:

I'll be honest, it's extremely disappointing to endure that season and not be picking top 5 at least. I actually thought top 3 was very realistic once Flacco went down, but yeah it could have been even worse considering we went from 4th -> 8th after the Steelers win last week and the Patriots were expected to beat Miami. That win against Pittsburgh last week ultimately costs us 2 places and they made the playoffs anyway unfortunately.

The teams picking ahead of us are - 1) Titans, 2) Browns, 3) Chargers, 4) Cowboys, 5) Jaguars

I think Tunsil to the Titans is a certainty (as much as it can be at this point). A shiny new LT to protect a shiny new QB, so that's one team down. Browns will go Goff/Lynch or Bosa I think depending on who the new management setup is and what they want to do. Chargers for me take Bosa if he's there, or a T (Stanley) or a CB at this point (Hargreaves or Ramsey). No idea what the Cowboys will do (maybe Jack) and I'm sure the Jaguars would love to take Hargreaves/Ramsey as their secondary needs improvement.

I realise that piece above is all a very incoherent mess and I'm rambling, but moreso making the point that it will be very tough for any of the 3 I'd love (Bosa, Hargreaves or Ramsey) to fall to us even picking as high as 6th. Mackensie Alexendar out of Clemson may be one to keep an eye on, though I wouldn't rule out Stanley if he's there either. That's not to mention that Ozzie will no doubt be banging the table for A'Shawn Robinson.

A huge amount of possibilities, but one thing remains certain - if we don't greatly improve the secondary and pass rush we are in for another long year in 2016.

Now it's time to start watching some film. My favourite time of the year! :D

15 years ago to the day!

ray-lewis-retires2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jim Nantz has aged a lot in fifteen years.

Looks like Joe Flacco's contract will be restructured.

Dennis Pitta must be finished at this stage. Ray Rice contract done so that will free up some cap space.

Need to draft cornerback, pass rusher and left tackle.

I agree Kev.

CB and rusher are absolute musts, though I would be interested to give Monroe one more season to see if he can get back to anywhere near what he was, but I wouldn't be surprised nor blame the Ravens for moving on either. If Stanley or Tunsil are there at #6 I'm sure Ozzie will be very tempted though I would much rather go for a corner at that position if Ramsey or Hargreaves are still there.

Tucker got tagged anyway which is good news. Hopefully we can get a deal done with him at some stage.

Flacco signs a new deal. It was vital of course, but a deal that works well for all parties. We free up $6m this season and $13m over the next 2 seasons while Flacco gets a ton of cash.

This is brilliant! :pac:

https://twitter.com/sgellison/status/705105533280374784

Hopefully we can use the extra money to keep Osemele.

• Advertisement

Osemele is off to Oakland for 5/$60m. Disappointing to lose him but best of luck to him. There's just no way on earth we could even come close to that offer and the Raiders have a mountain of cap space to splash. A nice signing for Carr.

In other news we've signed Ben Watson (TE). It probably shows that the Pitta comeback is done unfortunately but he, Gillmore and Williams should have us set at the position next season. That's a nice trio. In addition, he should be a good influence on Crockett and Maxx.

The chances of taking Tunsil or Stanley at #6 just increased massively I'd imagine.

Advertisement