Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Brandon Williams is the 3rd Round Pick. This guy looks like a beast.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/brandon-williams?id=2539645

Bye-bye Terrance Cody.

Great draft so far, Brown in the second round was superb. Hopefully Ozzie can pick up a couple of gems in the lower rounds and we're looking very good. A wide receiver next up would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Cody is on 930k salary cap for this year, still on his rookie contract

He'll be kept around as cheap depth

But his career as a starter is finished for sure

There a few videos around about Brandon Williams.

A very humble and hard working guy :)

And here is a college player getting crushed :eek:

Brandon_original_original.jpg?1354115342

Welcome, welcome.
    Looks to be a beast!

John Simon seems to be very good value in round 4:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Round-4-Ravens-Select-LB-John-Simon/a68349e2-4113-49e8-a003-3b56f4efa4c9
    The Ravens have continued their efforts to upgrade their front seven.

They added Ohio State linebacker John Simon in the fourth round Saturday with pick No. 129.

Simon, 6-foot-1 and 257 pounds, is a hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker who can help bolster the pass rush as part of a defensive rotation. He was the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year after finishing last season with 44 tackles, nine sacks and 14.5 tackles for loss.

“They’re just a tough, hard-nosed team and I feel that’s how I play the game,” Simon said after getting picked. “I’m just excited to be part of the organization and look forward to getting to practice.”

As has been the trend for the Ravens this draft, they picked up another defensive leader.

Simon was a two-time captain for the Buckeyes and Head Coach Urban Meyer routinely referred to him as the “heart and soul” of the team. Meyer credited Simon for his toughness and even said that he would consider naming a son after Simon.

“If we have another child, I want to name him Urban John Simon Meyer or something,” Meyer said last season. “That’s how much I love that guy.”

Head coach John Harbaugh referenced Meyer's press conference (video below) where he talked about naming a son after Simon, and said it gives a good indication of the kind of person the Ravens are getting.

"It probably says it all," Harbaugh said.

Simon was a three-year starter at Ohio State and first two-time captain since Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis played for the Buckeyes.

He was a versatile defender who worked at both outside linebacker and defensive end, and he’s known for his relentless motor. He most likely projects as an outside linebacker in the Ravens’ scheme, but said he’ll go “wherever they want me to play.”

“I’m going to do whatever it takes to be the best I can to help the team out any way possible, whatever that role is,” he said. “I’m going to do everything I can to be the best possible player for the Baltimore Ravens I can be.”

Simon has drawn comparisons to former Ravens outside linebacker Jarret Johnson, who was a hard-nosed player that started a franchise-record 129 straight games for Baltimore.

“He is our kind of guy,” Harbaugh said. “Jarret Johnson was a Raven, and he always will be. So, it’s probably a good comparison.”

Simon will join a crowded group of linebackers, which includes Terrell Suggs, Elvis Dumervil, Courtney Upshaw, Albert McClellan and Pernell McPhee, who is planning to play rush end this year. Suggs and Dumervil are the most likely candidates to start, but Upshaw, McClellan and McPhee all have starting experience.

While it’s a packed competition, General Manager Ozzie Newsome has said on a number of occasions that he’s always looking to add more pass rushers.

“That’s what you go into the National Football League for, is to compete against the best, and I’m looking forward to the challenge and I’m looking forward to start practicing,” Simon said.

Simon dealt with some injuries in college, battling shoulder and knee injuries his senior season. Those injuries don’t appear to be a concern now, and Simon said he’ll be ready for rookie minicamp next week.

“My health is 100 percent,” he said. “I’m good to go.”

Another leadership guy that we seem to have targeted, as most of our picks have been team captains in college.

Some analysis from CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664625/john-simon
    Strengths: Simon has a motor that never quits, playing extremely relentless as one of the best attacking defenders in college football the past few years. He has a strong upper body to swat and use his limbs to beat blocks with the natural power and forceful playing style to keep blockers off balance and shed.

Simon does a nice job setting the edge against the run and takes on blocks destructively, staying disciplined with excellent recognition skills. He takes aggressive angles in the run game and doesn't play hesitant, trusting his eyes and reacting in a flash. Simon tackles through the ballcarrier and has strong wrists and hands to secure stops, rarely missing tackles. He has good short-area quickness with good snap anticipation and dip off the edge to bend around the tackle and gain a step on blockers.

Simon plays every snap as if it's his last and doesn't know how to go half speed, playing motivated and focused. He is a smart, heady player to make impact plays against the run and pass, getting his hands up at the line of scrimmage. Simon is a two-year captain and there isn't a lot he hasn't seen, leading Ohio State as the heart of the team. He closes quickly and plays with excellent pursuit on defense and special teams coverage. Simon has versatile experience at both LE and RE, standing up and with his hand in the dirt, also moving inside to DT at times.

WEAKNESSES: Simon is almost too bulked up, which limits his fluidity, and he lacks ideal arm length, making it tough for him to disengage at times. He is more of a one-speed rusher and doesn't flash consistent explosion, lacking creativity as an edge rusher. Struggled to cover running backs or tight ends in one-on-one coverage at the Senior Bowl, lacking the natural hip movement or footwork to quickly adjust and blanket his man.

Simon plays too energetic at times and will wear himself out due to his relentless attitude. He takes overaggressive angles at times and needs to control his intensity (roughing the passer penalty vs. California, 2012).

Simon suffered a minor right knee injury (bursa sac) against Wisconsin in 2012, missing the Michigan game (his final collegiate game).

COMPARES TO: Allen Bailey, DE, Kansas City Chiefs - It's tough to find an exact comparison for Simon, but Bailey comes close with their muscular frames, quick feet and relentless attitude. Simon isn't as big as Bailey (285 pounds), but he's just as strong.

Walter Football grades for our draft picks:

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2013bal.php
    32. Matt Elam, S, Florida: B+ Grade
    Patient Ozzie Newsome gets his way again. He was targeting Matt Elam among other prospects and got his man without panicking. Elam fills a big need at safety across from Michael Huff. He also fits the range and could have gone a bit earlier than this.

56. Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State: A+ Grade
    This is the best pick of the second round. Arthur Brown may have been chose in the 20 range had he been completely healthy. He'll heal up, and Ozzie Newsome will end up with another draft-day steal. Brown is as best of a successor to Ray Lewis as Baltimore could have obtained in the 2013 NFL Draft.

94. Brandon Williams, NT, Missouri Southern: A- Grade
    Brandon Williams dominated the Senior Bowl, so there was speculation that he would be drafted somewhere in Round 2. That apparently was not the case, but the Ravens are not complaining because they were able to land another great value. Baltimore signed Marcus Spears and Chris Canty this offseason, but neither is the long-term solution on the defensive line.

129. John Simon, DE/OLB, Ohio State: B+ Grade
    You can never have enough pass-rushers, so while John Simon doesn't fit an immediate need, he could be useful down the road or in the wake of injuries. He was seen by some as a third-round prospect (I had him in the fourth), so this is yet another good value pick by Ozzie Newsome.

130. Kyle Juszczyk, FB, Harvard: C+ Grade
    I think this is a bit early for a fullback, considering that some teams don't even use one. The Ravens do, but Vonta Leach is pretty expensive. They want someone to challenge him in order to save some money.

168. Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin: B Grade
    The Ravens needed some tackle depth, so this selection makes sense for both a needs and a draft range perspective. He's a right tackle only though, so he's definitely not a replacement for Bryant McKinnie.

200. Kapron Lewis-Moore, DE/DT, Notre Dame: B Grade
    Like the 49ers, Baltimore had so many draft picks that it could draft someone it could redshirt. Kapron Lewis-Moore would have gone higher than this had he not suffered an injury in the championship. He'll be useful down the road once Chris Canty and Marcus Spears move on.

203. Ryan Jensen, G/OT, Colorado State: B Grade
    Ryan Jensen, widely considered a Round 6-7 prospect, should be able to provide some solid interior line depth.

238. Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon: A Grade
    Ravens steal, yadda, yadda, yadda. I had Aaron Mellette in the fourth round, so this is tremendous value for him.

247. Marc Anthony, CB, California: A Grade
    Ravens steal, yadda, yadda, yadda. Marc Anthony was a fourth- or a fifth-round projection, and Baltimore needed some cornerback depth.

• Advertisement

McKinnie has agreed a two year contract. I won't lie, I'm delighted. I know he has his faults and in trusting him I am setting myself up for a massive let down, but he was superb in our playoff run and keeping that same line intact (especially without the retired Birk of course) is vital. When reports of Osemele moving to LT were coming out I was thinking ''oh Christ''.

LT was probably the one position we really needed to do something about, until now.

I'm really excited for the upcoming season, our defense has improved on last year (on paper anyway, despite the losses of a few key components who's leadership skills cannot be replaced). I think it will be very entertaining for us.

One of our better acquisitions this offseason might just be one of the least noticed, AQ Shipley. Being honest, I can't say I really know him, but those that know more than me seem to like him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/10/neils-nfl-daily-may-10-2013/
    Oh come on Ozzie, you’re just showing off now. Not content with as good an offseason as anyone, the Ravens are just icing the cake with their recent trade for A.Q. Shipley. Who? Well, Ozzie Newsome and Eric DeCosta know about him even if 95% of the rest of the football world doesn’t. I’ll get into detail about Shipley and why this is such a clever move below, but for the time being it’s worth reiterating why Baltimore is so good.

Just when you thought they were losing touch by letting Anquan Boldin go because they couldn’t find $5.5m in cap room (although that could still come back to haunt them), they deliver hit after free-agency hit and replace departed players with potentially better options. Two-time Super Bowl winners, I don’t think a third is in the cards next year, but the moves will get them close in 2013 and keep them in the running for another few seasons.

With the retirement of Matt Birk the Ravens were left with a choice of replacing him with 2012 fourth-rounder Gino Gradkowski, or rookie sixth-rounder Ryan Jensen. Gradkowski played 89 uneventful snaps last year but the majority of those (73) came in a meaningless Week 17 meeting with the Bengals. That’s not enough action to be confident of him making the promotion seamless, and as for Jensen? Who knows?

A.Q. Shipley was originally drafted by the Steelers, didn’t play for them and after floating through Philadelphia without seeing the field was signed by the Colts the day after Bruce Arians arrived. In March the Colts then signed Samson Satele as their center and gave him a contract that would effectively keep him in Indianapolis for two years. Satele is not a terrible player but has been very inconsistent throughout his career and generally poor in pass protection — indeed, he was the lowest ranked players at his position in Pass Blocking Efficiency in 2012.

However, he was also injured on occasions last year which gave Shipley a chance to step in, which he did very well indeed. In his first game he played all 100 snaps against the Packers in the one of the surprise wins of the year — in fact, he gave up only a single hurry in 67 pass drops and run blocked effectively.

He had a few issues in his next opportunity (Week 9) when he faced Paul Soliai of the Dolphins in the running game, but beyond that stood up well when given playing time, which he was to the tune of 476 snaps. In the end we graded him at +6.9 and positive in every facet of play.

Now maybe the Colts figure Satele was affected by injury and will be OK, but there’s no doubt last year Shipley was a more effective player. This makes the trade of, at very worst, an excellent backup who was due to count less than $0.5m against the cap for a conditional pick, a strange choice if not one that will have fans screaming for Bill Polian’s return anytime soon.

Also a nice piece on Bernard Pierce:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/15/secret-superstar-bernard-pierce/
    As our Secret Superstar series rolls on, we come to the defending Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens who, with general manager Ozzie Newsome, have made a name for themselves by finding diamonds in the rough with late-round steals and undrafted gems like Adalius Thomas and Bart Scott.

Previous years have seen Josh Wilson and Pernell McPhee named as Secret Superstars for the team, with Wilson having moved on to have two up-and-down seasons for the Washington Redskins, never reaching the level of his 2010 season in Baltimore.

McPhee, on the other hand, saw his second season hindered by injury, especially early in the year, but recovered to finish the season well with 17 total pressures from Week 13 through the playoffs, and figures to continue to be an important role player for the Ravens going forward.

So who gets the honor this year? Well, despite having a few players step up down the stretch, there was one player who stood out among them all, starring in a backup role. That was rookie running back Bernard Pierce.

Starting Out Slow, Finishing Strong

Drafted in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft out of Temple, Pierce entered the season as the primary backup behind starter Ray Rice, replacing the retired Ricky Williams. Despite this, he saw only 30 carries in the seven games he played during the first half of the season. That’s not to say he didn’t impress though, averaging 4.03 yards after contact of those 30 carries.

The signs that he was worthy of a bigger role were evident even during a four-carry performance against the Dallas Cowboys, with Pierce forcing three missed tackles and averaging 5.5 yards after contact.

His strong performance in the first half of the season was obviously noticed by the men who matter in Baltimore, as his role began to grow the later in the season we went. This lead to him racking up 586 of the 734 rushing yards he produced all year, including the playoffs, from Week 10 onward.

With 33 missed tackles forced as a runner, and a further four as a receiver, he finished the year with an Elusive Rating of 75.7. That number put him third among all running backs that saw at least 25% of their team’s carries, bettering even Adrian Peterson, albeit on a much smaller sample size.

Room to Grow

While his rookie season was pretty impressive, there’s still plenty of improvement required from Pierce if he wants to develop into a three-down running back. We didn’t get to see much of him as a receiver, which is to be expected when you’ve got a player like Ray Rice atop the depth chart. Despite forcing four missed tackles from eight receptions, we really need to see more of him in that role to find out if he can truly be a threat as a receiver out of the backfield.

The biggest area of concern from his rookie year was in pass protection, as it was the only area of his game where he finished with a negative grade. Allowing a sack, a hit and three hurries might not seem like much, but coming on just 38 pass blocking attempts it was simply too much pressure to permit.

That’s likely part of the reason he saw such little action as a receiver, with his pass blocking enough of a liability to limit him on obvious passing downs. Here’s hoping he can improve on that in his second season in the league and give the Ravens even more reason to keep him on the field going forward.

Stealing Carries From Rice?

There’s no doubting that Ray Rice is a bigger threat than Pierce as a receiver out of the backfield, with Rice reeling in over 60 receptions in each of the past four seasons. However, when you look at the pair purely as runners, it might surprise you to learn that Pierce is the more productive.

We’ve already highlighted how impressive he was at forcing missed tackles but, putting it in context, he finished the regular season with 21 missed tackles forced as a runner compared to Rice’s 20. This was despite Rice seeing 149 more carries than his rookie counterpart.

On top of that, Pierce averaged 1.12 more yards after contact per carry than Rice. Simply put, he did more than Rice beyond the help of their offensive line and, all in all, was a better pure runner. The problem for Pierce is that he needs to work on the other aspects of his game and improve enough that the Ravens can trust him on the field regardless of the situation. That would allow him to see even more touches offensively and grow into a much bigger part of the Ravens’ offense.

Despite those concerns, there are plenty of reasons to expect Pierce to improve on what was still an impressive rookie season. It may have been on a limited sample size, but Pierce produced and gained yards beyond the work of his offensive line all throughout the season as opposed to just one game skewing the numbers.

He may be unlikely to unseat Rice as the man atop the running back depth chart in Baltimore, but a bigger role than he had at the start of 2012, and even late in the year, seems inevitable as we head toward the 2013 season. It’ll be up to Pierce to continue to produce as he did and, if he does, he won’t be considered a secret for much longer.

And a paragraph on what McKinnie signing means for the rest of the O-line. Just look at the difference between Oher's statistics at RT and LT!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/03/neils-nfl-daily-may-3-2013/
    It’s not that Bryant McKinnie is performing brilliantly at this stage of his career which makes this a good move for Baltimore — he’s not — it’s more the positive ripple effect across the rest of the line. He didn’t start a single game until the playoffs in 2012, and other than the wild card game against the Colts was broadly average in every regard from then on in. However, starting him at left tackle allowed Michel Oher to go back to right tackle which, in turn, gave them the facility to move Kelechi Osemele to left guard. Now, moving Oher didn’t immediately make him a better player but I’m convinced all the changing positions is having a detrimental effect. To get better at any task requires constant repetition — the facility to ingrain the physical into the subconscious and the two positions require different somatic responses. How can a player who is being asked to play two different positions be as good as if he was asked to concentrate on just one? If it was down to me (Ravens fans send a silent blessing to whichever god they worship that I’m not) I’d put him at RT and leave him there — here’s why.

Over the course of his career, starting in 2009, here is our grading for Oher broken down by position:

74b5de7b25526e1acdf43e1f5688ea9c.png

Good read on our rookie development programme, especially after Mike was talking about Tavon Austin finding lots of people coming out of the woodwork looking for money when he signed his deal with the Rams.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Rookie-Development-Program-Critical-For-Ravens/a0905da4-d93e-4f6a-bebc-ab9cc88d856e
    The Ravens rookie class filed into to the auditorium Monday night after a full day of practice, workouts and playbook study.

All of their football responsibilities were done, but they still had work left to do.

As they will do every day for the next month, the rookies settled in for an hour-long daily seminar with Ravens Director of Player Development Harry Swayne. The program features a series of courses to help them make the transition to the NFL and all of the challenges that come with being a professional athlete.

“For a lot of them, this is their first job, unless they were a paper boy, or delivered pizza, or grocery bagger,” Swayne said. “This is really their first legitimate workplace, so there is a lot to transition. And it’s not’s just getting them comfortable in this workplace, it’s also to get them thriving.”

Swayne is the instructor for the seminars, which touch on a number of topics including financial management, media training, relationship advice and just general workplace information. He’ll also bring in speakers from a variety of fields to provide different perspectives.

“More than anything, it instills in your mind that football is not forever,” rookie fullback Kyle Juszczyk said. “Even while we are here playing football, we still have to be looking toward things we can do after football. While you’re here, all you’re really thinking about is football, but these seminars kind of open your eyes.”

The bulk of the program focuses on finances, or as Swayne likes to put it, “learning to manage your money so that your money doesn’t manage you.”

It’s a critical area for rookies who find themselves in a position where they’re making more money than they ever have before. They have a short window of opportunity to make a lot of money – the average NFL career is still less than four years – and Swayne’s priority is to provide education on how to make that money last long after they’re done playing.

Sports Illustrated estimated in 2009 that 78 percent of NFL players are bankrupt or facing serious financial stress within two years of ending their playing careers, and Swayne’s goal is to keep players from being part of that statistic.

“We try to get the topics where they’re most likely to fail,” Swayne said. “We do banking 101. I don’t take anything for granted, that a kid knows how to set up a bank account, open a savings account, what to use a savings account for, a checking account, what goes on a check. I don’t take any of that for granted.”

Financial education isn’t the only focus of the program.

The rookies get an overview of some general office behavior, and they also delve into more sensitive topics such as sex and relationships.

“We do a sexually transmitted disease workshop on the first Friday that they’re here on purpose to ruin their weekend,” Swayne said with a laugh. “It’s kind of an in-your-face presentation. They thank me a lot after that.”

Swayne, who was a 15-year NFL veteran, has an ability to connect with the rookies. He commands respect when he steps to the front of the room, and the players identify with his message.

“He’s been through it,” tackle Michael Oher said. “I’m sure that he made a lot of mistakes that a lot of young guys make, so he can steer you in the right direction before something bad happens.”

Swayne’s ability to mentor young players has been pointed to by members of the Ravens brass lately as a part of the leadership dynamic within the locker room.

He meets with every rookie and new signing when they come into the organization, and spends time getting to know them on a personal level. He watches practice every day to see how players carry themselves in competition, and he regularly meets with them during meals in the team cafeteria.

From the time the rookies step foot in Baltimore, Swayne is there to greet them and ensure they have support.

“When they come here they figure out that the Ravens care,” Swayne said. “And it’s not just from afar, but up close and personal. You can care about a guy and say ‘We’re going to send you some emails, so you have the right contact information and the resources to get it done.’ Or you can go up to him, and ask him specifically what he needs to figure out how to best deliver it.”

Part of Swayne’s responsibility is to connect with players with troubled backgrounds. He works to determine which players need more attention, and tries to help keep them from repeating mistakes.

When he meets with a player who has been in trouble, the message he stresses is honesty.

“We just put it right out there. This is how the Ravens do it, even though sometimes the truth hurts,” Swayne said. “One part about being the Ravens is that we speak the truth. We’re not averse to hearing bad news about ourselves. We can handle it. We can take it. We got broad shoulders. Tell me what I’m doing wrong and give me a chance to correct it. That’s a very Raven way to go about things.”

The other key component of the rookie development program is pairing every rookie with a veteran mentor. A handful of veterans are asked to be mentors by Swayne, O.J. Brigance and team chaplain Rod Hairston, and they meet with their rookie mentees each week throughout the season.

They talk about a variety of issues, whether it’s football topics, relationship advice or guidance on buying a car.

“I think it helps the rookies just simply because there’s an accountability naturally set up when they agree to put themselves under the authority of another man,” Swayne said. “Right off the bat they’re trying to do the right thing.”

The mentorships continue driving home the message that Swayne begins delivering from the time the rookies first arrive. They create accountability and foster relationships, and help give young players a big picture of how to maximize their time in the NFL.

That’s the focus for Swayne, and it’s one of the most important facets of the incoming players becoming true professionals.

“What I’m trying to do with them in the short amount of time that I’ve got them is get them ready to change their mindset from a student-athlete on scholarship, to a professional athlete in a workplace,” Swayne said. “At the same time, we’re also getting them ready to leave because the average player career is still less than four years. And we get all that done in 20 total hours, one hour a day.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

The Shipley trade is a strange one! I thought the Colts would cut Satele but maybe they wanted that bit of experience with all the O-Line changes!

Hard to judge Shipley as he was surrounded by mediocrity (that's being generous) last year when he played, so how much help he'll give ye this year is hard to judge!

One word of caution is that the Colts chose Satele over Shipley even though Satele is injury prone, not very good and costing about 3 times as much this year! This either means that the Colts coaching staff don't rate Shipley (I personally hope it's this!) or that they are sticking with Satele because cutting him would show they were wrong to sign him in the first place!

Anyway as its a conditional pick I hope he starts every game ;)

Cracking read on the flexibility of our new defense here. There's far too much to copy and paste and there's plenty of diagrams and pictures etc so too, so well worth 10 minutes of your time to read:

http://presnapreads.com/2013/04/29/analyzing-the-flexibility-of-the-baltimore-ravens-re-tooled-defense/#more-332

• Advertisement

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 3m
    Lardarius Webb was able to backpedal and cut without any noticeable difficulty. Seems like he's made fast progress from torn ACL

drooling_homer-712749.gif2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

How are we stocked at receiver for next year? Are Torrey and Jacoby our 1 and 2? Looking forward to the season opener so much, especially to see what the Suggs/Doom pass rush can do!

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    How are we stocked at receiver for next year? Are Torrey and Jacoby our 1 and 2? Looking forward to the season opener so much, especially to see what the Suggs/Doom pass rush can do!

Yep Torrey #1 and Jacoby #2. Expect to see lots of two TE sets with Pitta and Dickson and also Tandon Doss and Tommy Streeter will get an opportunity to take that #3 WR role.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Paully D wrote: »
    Yep Torrey #1 and Jacoby #2. Expect to see lots of two TE sets with Pitta and Dickson and also Tandon Doss and Tommy Streeter will get an opportunity to take that #3 WR role.

Torrey will be expected to fulfil the possession receiver role I'd imagine. He showed he's up to it though, made some fantastic leaping catches in the playoff run. Streeter is huge, hope to see him involved.

Also looking forward to seeing more of Bernard Pierce, he looks a great player.

Just watched back one of my favourite games from last year. Our week 3 win against the Patriots. Tucker's last second field goal winner and Torrey's brilliant 2 TD performance a few hours after he found out his brother had died. I'll never understand how he found the strength to play that game.

The atmosphere in the stadium that night sounded unbelievable.

We've signed Daryl Smith (linebacker). He was very good in 2011 but was sidelined with injury last year. Worth a go, low risk and high-upside, as is usually the case with Ozzie!

Also, today was the White House visit. Unfortunately Boldin, Kruger, Pollard etc couldn't make it, but it was great to see Ray and Ed back. Full gallery here:

http://www.nfl.com/photos/0ap1000000209456

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

I be hearing big problem with Courtney Upshaw keeping his weight down, he is what 285lb at the moment for a linebacker.

Harbaugh needs to get on his ass to slim him down if he is going to reach his potential. He could learn something from his team mate and fellow crimson tide student Cody.

Hey guys just a quick q to keep up interest during offseason.
    What will Flacco's yardage be this season?
    Did he just get hot in the post season due to Caldwell/Contract/Playoffs.
    Or has he legitimately just improved.
    I remember when I started watching people used to call him Joe Flaccid on the different forums then after the superbowl run he was Elite.
    Is he going to keep it up on a high or will he struggle against crap teams like he did against Jacksonville last year?
    I'm guessing yardage 3500-4000.

John Eisenburg who does a lot of writing for baltimoreravens.com was in Tolka Park recently to see Shelbourne

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-Similarity-In-All-Fans---Wherever-In-The-World/f967b9ff-3a69-4a87-ab2a-988f653f3ffc#commentSystem

Not often Ireland gets a mention on the front page of a franchises website :)

Lots of pics

Not sure the Drumcondra natives would consider themselves a working class area :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Cannot wait for the season to start. The Ravens are looking strong on defense again this year.
    Looking forward to my second full season. Last season was a roller coaster. Currently looking at all the games again from last year.

• Advertisement

Remember Ladarius Webb is back this year after his torn acl. Best shutdown corner in the game behind Revis and Seattle chap.

Also The Ravens may have lost the great Ed Reed but watch out for Matt Elam from the Florida Gators as there first round pick.

Starter straight the way in my book....big physical dominant safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Torrey smith is on the latest rich eisen podcast. I had great respect for him before as a player but after listening to him talk on the podcast I now have respect for him as a person. Ye ravens fans have a good one there.

Reports going around that Vonta Leach may be signed back :)

Was cut due to a hefty 4.1 million cap hit

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/baltimore-ravens-vonta-leach-likely-sign-ravens-165800528.html

Best full back in the league belongs on the best team :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Damn you Ravens, though there's been practically no chat about him and the titans :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Can't figure out if Ozzie is an evil genius or the luckiest man alive!

Jacoby Jones has failed his conditioning test and is now on the NFI (non football injury list). Quite an achievement for a wide receiver to fail it.

Here's a link to what they have to do for the test

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2012/07/24/the-caw-ravens-conditioning-test-is-a-bear/

They got the website reporter to try it last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Paully D wrote: »
    Jacoby Jones has failed his conditioning test and is now on the NFI (non football injury list). Quite an achievement for a wide receiver to fail it.

He never struck me as the smartest guy, but did you see what he did in the play offs last year? I assume he has been non stop partying :pac:

• Advertisement

Jacoby passed the conditioning test this time around and is now practicing with the team. As Santry said, he was probably partying now stop after the Super Bowl win and then of course Dancing With The Stars too :pac:

McKinnie has been sat out by Harbaugh due to being overweight. He said he's too heavy to practice as things stand. Not one bit of a surprise to be honest, but we need him fit and playing at a similar standard to that he did during the Super Bowl as it really helps us when he's on his game.

In other news, here's a great read by Peter King who broke down film with Torrey Smith from the Broncos game in which he torched Champ Bailey (too long to copy and paste and there's plenty of pictures in the article, so here's the link):

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/25/watching-tape-with-torrey/

Advertisement