Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kikidelvin

John Paul?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Someone I used to work with named their kid miabella :p

Actually, RE the bellamia thing, my neighbor recently had a kid, called it Bellamia. His girlfriend wouldn't tell anyone what they were calling the kid for fear of something stealing the name.

Like, seriously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This thread reminds me of the scene in 'Kath and Kim' where Kimmy came back from the hospital with a selection of possible names for her baby, including Enema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Actually, RE the bellamia thing, my neighbor recently had a kid, called it Bellamia. His girlfriend wouldn't tell anyone what they were calling the kid for fear of something stealing the name.

Like, seriously.

Both are horrible names, they sound like the name of a terrible italian restaurant :pac: I've had people tell me they are going to steal my name as their kids name :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

Heard an unusual one the other day... Skylar-Marie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Phoenix for a boy??

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I absolutely can't stand all of these American names that seem to be the trend… "Cayla" and "Cayden" and the like. I've heard boys and girls being called both these names.

What's wrong with a nice plain name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Destined to end up a meth head.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Jacinta

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Kaiser D wrote: »

Like, seriously.

Oh god I just realised it sounds like bulimia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Phoenix for a boy??

Worse if the surname was Parker & he had a sister calmed Naoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

A guy I know just named his newborn Rogue. Poor girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A guy I know just named his newborn Rogue. Poor girl.

At least it wasn't a son, might end up being called Wolverine.
    Actually, a child might like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

My ex is American, and having a quick read of this thread, she would probably view it as a babynames A-Z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Honor.... Terrible name usually associated with celtic tiger babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

jca wrote: »

Surname Owen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I think I mentioned it before but Biscuit is the worst name I ever heard anyone called.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

Actually know a girl named Honor she hates it. Whenever she meets new people she has to listen to stuff like- an honour to meet you Honor :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Georgie13

Why do people have a problem with Irish people naming their children Irish names?.....

I do find misspelled/mispronounced Irish names annoying though, especially when they give you a totally incorrect meaning as well. I met an English girl once who was telling me her name (Erin) means 'peace'..... I don't see why people name their kids Erin and Colleen, "Colleen" is like naming a baby girl "Gurrl". I had another English person go on at me one time about her friend having an Irish name- "Syo-ban" and I was like ohh Siobhán? and she said "No. It's pronounced Syo-ban." :( Also people using Naoise as a girl's name is a bit weird, when did that start happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Georgie13

Roo.... By far the worst

Like the baby kangaroo from Winnie the Pooh? What next, Tigger? Eeyore?

• Advertisement

chughes wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if the child's surname is Ferguson.

I bet there's a few children with the Christian name Ferguson too! After Alex Ferguson that is. Some may even be called Alex Ferguson as their full Christian name followed by their surname. Still though it sounds better than calling a child Biscuit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Rio... Terrible, especially on a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

That's my cousin in America daughter's name! She is in her 20's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Witchie wrote: »
    That's my cousin in America daughter's name! She is in her 20's now.

I think there's a quite a few names that are acceptable in America- but just don't make it here- Madison, Brooke, Tegan, Paige, Avery etc....

They just don't translate well with our brogue (begorrah!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Pius
    Horacio

(for real, I know them both, although Horacio changed his name as soon as he was allowed by law)

I'm not Irish, and the name Gráinne reminds me of "Onion".

I hate the name Martha too. Marthe is a goddawful name in French already, and it has rightfully sunk into oblivion.

Gertrude, Frances, Theodora, Antoinette ... :(

I know a fairly old man called Pascal, I quite like the name, but it's really weird to hear it for an old man in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I went to college with a guy who had "Rupert" and "Heath" as his middlenames. And he had the cheek to slag me for mine, "Catherine"!

His parents must have wanted him to be bullied relentlessly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I hate the name Trevor, sounds like a car to me :pac:

Rio... Terrible, especially on a boy.

I know where this name's popularity comes from. Rio Ferdinand of course! I find it surprising how many children get called after soccer stars these days. I already mentioned Alex Ferguson but you can't help but see the resurgence of such names as David, Lionel, Rio, etc. all after footballers!

I think there's a quite a few names that are acceptable in America- but just don't make it here- Madison, Brooke, Tegan, Paige, Avery etc....

They just don't translate well with our brogue (begorrah!)

Yes, I think some names sound better in certain countries. Madison sounds perfect in America but not here.

• Advertisement

Pius
    Horacio

(for real, I know them both, although Horacio changed his name as soon as he was allowed by law)

I'm not Irish, and the name Gráinne reminds me of "Onion".

I hate the name Martha too. Marthe is a goddawful name in French already, and it has rightfully sunk into oblivion.

Gertrude, Frances, Theodora, Antoinette ... :(

I know a fairly old man called Pascal, I quite like the name, but it's really weird to hear it for an old man in Ireland.

All the names you mentioned here are fine by me apart from one: Gertrude is indeed an awful name. Grainne is ok but only in Ireland. Horacio is ok in Latin-language countries but because Admiral Nelson was called this name, it has taken on a new meaning elsewhere. Nelson was called this perhaps because his folks went off on a grand tour and collected this then exotic name!

Martha is a nice name. I didn't here of Marthe but I assume it is the French version of the former.

I am unsure of these female versions of male names but Frances, Theodora and Antionette are ok but lack invention. Frances does sound too like the male version for comfort! Pascal is a nice name and is common for older men and younger ones alike.

Advertisement