Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kikidelvin

Goodluck?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

Glen. Thankfully not popular any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Sicily.

I overheard some skanger in a pub refer to her child in this manner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

When I was in college back home I did a placement with the school public health nurses. I remember going to a class in one school where there were twins. The girl was named 'Vodka' and the boy 'Holden' (a popular make of car in NZ, I think they are called Opel here).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

My father knows a fellow called Brutus.I always found it funny. A guy my age I know is called Billy Joe Bob Fitzpatrick. As in people call him"Billy Joe Bob," not Billy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I know a black lad called innocent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

ken wrote: »
    My neighbour had a baby recently. Called her Macie. Her niece put it up on facebook as Massy. Near pee'd myself laughing.
    Wouldn't it be great if the child's surname is Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

lukesmom wrote: »
    I know a black lad called innocent

It's a cultural thing - I teach in a school, where we have a 'Peace', 'Precious', and 'Mercy', but they are all girls, so the names sound fine.

Have 'Destinee' (with Irish surname) playing on football team!:rolleyes:

Know someone who is calling their son Oberon O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

NOOOOOOO! Surely that can't be allowed - poor, poor kid!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a cultural thing - I teach in a school, where we have a 'Peace', 'Precious', and 'Mercy', but they are all girls, so the names sound fine.

Have 'Destinee' (with Irish surname) playing on football team!:rolleyes:

We had a guy at school called Precious once. It's quite a nice idea, naming a child according to your aspiration for them.

Excuse me while I put Not preggers by 16 to bed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

It's increasingly common and it's never really been rare, but I truly hate the modern chav pronunciation of Aaron, i.e. ARRIN. (Must be shouted at lung-bursting volume.)

It's Air-un, you complete knackers.

NOOOOOOO! Surely that can't be allowed - poor, poor kid!

What makes it even worse us that Oberon is the name given to the king of the fairies. The kid is in for years of abuse at s hool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Obi Wan O'Brien now, that has a certain ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Did they call a daughter Titania?

daveohdave wrote: »
    Obi Wan O'Brien now, that has a certain ring to it.

Even then the kids still getting beaten up on a regular basis. When I first heard it I thought they were calling it Obi Wan and had to tell then that Obi Wan's birth name was Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

dubhthach wrote: »
    According to the 1901 census there are were only 5 people bearing the name "Niall" in Ireland, all of them under age of 12.

By 1911, 52 people were recorded as Niall, and 31 of them were older than 10, so they existed in 1901. Lots of the Niall's in 1911 have their surname in Irish, too, and were probably recorded as Neal O'Doherty instead of Niall Ní Dhochartaigh or whatever.

There is one poor fecker called Thomas Niile Gill in 1901, but his brothers are John Crawford and Harold Stanley, while his sister is Margaret Eileen, so it's a toss up whether Nile is a mangled Niall or the river in Egypt.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bradt Pitt

Sníomh (not sure of the spelling), but basically pronounced sh-neeve.
    Poor boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Theres a person i know who used to go out with a lad that I used to work with who's poor little girl was called Aphrodite after the greek god :eek:

To make it worse the mother called her by the full name :eek:

The poor child

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Theres a person i know who used to go out with a lad that I used to work with who's poor little girl was called Aphrodite after the great god :eek:

To make it worse the mother called her by the full name :eek:

The poor child

What great god?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    What great god?

Aphrodite, the Greek (I'm guessing great is an autocorrect) goddess of love, beauty and sexuality. And the goddess of tweaking your left nipple if the statues are anything to go by…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

daveohdave wrote: »
    It's increasingly common and it's never really been rare, but I truly hate the modern chav pronunciation of Aaron, i.e. ARRIN. (Must be shouted at lung-bursting volume.)

It's Air-un, you complete knackers.

I always say arrun... and I'm pretty sure loads of people do
    Surely it's both

In its original Hebrew, Aaron (אהרן) is pronounced a-ha-ron with the first two vowels similar to (and probably derived from the same root as) "sahara".

The English pronunciation of the biblical Aaron's name was derived by anglicising the Latin during the Church of England's translation of the Authorized King James Bible in 1611 ... ... all define this modern English pronunciation as /ɛərən/ ("air-run", where "air" is the same sound as in "dairy")
    In the twentieth century, ambiguity over the pronunciation of "Aaron" was created by naming children after Elvis Aaron Presley rather than after the biblical Aaron.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Grayson wrote: »
    If you had a son you could call them Uachtar Reoite :rolleyes:

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

bluewolf wrote: »
    I always say arrun... and I'm pretty sure loads of people do
    Surely it's both

In its original Hebrew, Aaron (אהרן) is pronounced a-ha-ron with the first two vowels similar to (and probably derived from the same root as) "sahara".

The English pronunciation of the biblical Aaron's name was derived by anglicising the Latin during the Church of England's translation of the Authorized King James Bible in 1611 ... ... all define this modern English pronunciation as /ɛərən/ ("air-run", where "air" is the same sound as in "dairy")
    In the twentieth century, ambiguity over the pronunciation of "Aaron" was created by naming children after Elvis Aaron Presley rather than after the biblical Aaron.

I'd pronounce arrun, they same as I would Aardvark. I wouldn't say Airdvark…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

jca wrote: »
    Poor aul Nigel was obviously wanting two boys.

Three actually, her other sister is Horatia :eek::D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Three actually, her other sister is Horatia :eek::D:D

He definitely had a boy child complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

Rupert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Rupert.

I went to college with a guy who had "Rupert" and "Heath" as his middlenames. And he had the cheek to slag me for mine, "Catherine"!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Stella and Colette, hate them names... Colette sounds like a disease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The worst I heard of was Blaize. The problem was the surname, Furey.......

Advertisement