Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Yeah but it seems like there was a rebirth of these horrible names in the 80s. None of my older relatives or anyone I know from that generation (baby boomers) has one of these odd Irish names. They dug them out of stories about Na Fianna etc. when the whole Gaelic revival thing started, they should have been left where they were, as they are so gross and cause mass confusion outside of Ireland.

You mean in your opinion they are gross. In mine they are lovely, neither of us are in anyway in a position to bar other persons choices in names.

As for the bit in bold. That assumption (and that's all it is for the most part) písses me off no end. I bring my kids to different groups and the like, and due to the multiculturalism of Ireland I have come across people from all over the world, from Congo, Nigeria, India, America, Sweden, Poland, China etc. And 90% of the time those kids have had names from their parents homelands, none of which I could spell or pronounce, but I didn't make a fuss. I asked them, sometimes more than once, how to pronounce the names, and now I don't even have to think about it, I just know them. And as for people not knowing my daughter's name, they just did the same and commented that it is a lovely name. Thankfully a famous actress has the same name so they all immediately go "You mean like X?" is not her name BTW ;)

It is a lazy excuse for the most part. If everyone in the world was to adhere to the "it would cause problems elsewhere" attitude we would all be Muhammad, Jack, John and Mary, Anne, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Skyler
    Taylor
    Ruan
    Holly
    Roly
    Ross
    Cedance

and those are only the ones that spring to mind at the minute

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

La-A.
    Pronounced Ladasha. Seriously. There was a tattoo to prove it. Poor girl!

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Rihanna - a castlebar name if I ever heard it...

That is a name over here (think it is actually Welsh), only pronounced Ri-un-ah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Mickayla
    Kayla
    Lily
    Ella
    Lily ella
    Ella lily
    Ellie
    Lexie
    Shakira
    Rihanna
    Rihannon
    LaToya

Taylor
    Hugo
    Max
    Caolánn
    Odhrán
    Jamie
    Dylan

• Advertisement

lukesmom wrote: »
    Mickayla
    Kayla
    Lily
    Ella

Lily ella
    Ella lily
    Ellie
    Lexie
    Shakira
    Rihanna
    Rihannon
    LaToya

Taylor
    Hugo
    Max
    Caolánn
    Odhrán
    Jamie
    Dylan

Both top 10 names last year according to the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

BBDBB wrote: »
    I was once served in McDonalds by a lad who had the name Thadeus on his name badge.

I was served by Jesus in McDonalds once...... oh how the mighty have fallen. This recession has hit everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

The names pert, ru-pert

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭olliesgirl55

I once met a woman whose name was cylmidia I kid you not. I would dearly love to beat the crap out of her parents. I have also come across Princess, Trevon, Peaches, Karanda and a poor woman whose last name was Cum. This was in the states. They just make up names there cause they think they are cool.
    My favorite was in Cork where I heard a girl calling her child Nikita in that heavy Cork accent. It fairly destroyed that name in my eyes. Also Nikita is Russian and a boys name but I didn't point it out to the girl cause she'd probably give me a bashing.
    Where have all the sensible names gone I ask ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

A few years back I worked as a substitute teacher in Central Florida. Subs would get an attendance sheet from the front office with the full given names of each child who was supposed to be the class (or classes for secondary schools). A few favorites:

Fabulous
    Scooby
    Ne-Ne
    Edwige

and my personal favorite: Spirichul King

• Registered Users Posts: 33,253 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Genuinely know a kid called "Neo" - am assured it's nothing to do with Keanu Reeves or the MAtrix.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I know a girl that named her kids ...Levity and Phoenix...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

So he should choose names to make the jobs of people who write down and pronounce names easier?

No, he should choose names to make the life of the name bearer easier.

gammygils wrote: »
    I knew a Cornelius as well. we called him Con for short
    I knew one and we called him Neilis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Diemos wrote: »
    I was served by Jesus in McDonalds once...... oh how the mighty have fallen. This recession has hit everyone!

I got a Ballygowan with my meal off him but it tasted a bit funny, was a weird red colour too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Muhammad served me in Burger King

I like most "classic" names, even the older and more unusual (in Ireland at any rate) like Abigail, Rebecca, etc.

I do feel sorry for kids with the sort of name that pretty much labels them as having idiotic parents - the ones named after the currect soap or music star, the ones who have a perfectly normal name spelled in a ridiculous "yewneek" fashion, the ones named after inanimate objects or placenames.

And I feel sorry for people with the previously perfectly respectable name Jordan, now tainted by association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Ezra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

A girl I went to school with named her newborn boy 'Moonbeam.'

The poor fcuking child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The poor fcuking child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Some fcuktard named their child Georges but they pronounce is gorgeous! She was running down the isle in the supermarket screaming "Gorgeous... Gorgeous O'Toole get back here!?!"

The child turns around with a sticker on his school uniform with the name 'Georges' written on it. Jesus wept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

The poor fcuking child.

The poor fcuking child.

So good they named her twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

my sister in law had a child in her creche called caesar. The poor little bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alrightso

Paris. Named by a mother who wears pyjamas to the pub... nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

my sister in law had a child in her creche called caesar. The poor little bollix

He's definitely getting battered in secondary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

He's definitely getting battered in secondary

Either that or he'll run the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Look if you want to be a kunt and ruin the fcuking child's life, what you do is you pick a name like Willem, Derren or Byron.... all names that at first appearance seem to be normal but on closer inspection are just annoyingly, slightly different to common names .....

Just so that your child has to keep correcting people and spelling it out for them for the rest of their miserable lives and also to make people think your children are cocks for having stupid fking cock names.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Ye little ****ing **** is the worst, heard mom say it in the shopping centre to son. Personaly thought it was somewhat long winded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Bort.

Love it! You don't see too many nameplates with that name! Must be sold out.

Advertisement