Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Day/Monday Snow Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

The road between Sligo to Dromahair had rain, sleet, snow, sleet, rain... in that order as I travelled. Really feel like going back to the snow bit lol. Nothing sticking so far.
    Temp 1.7c and dewpoint 0.2c here at the minute.

There was some frost earlier when I went to Sligo, had to defrost the car first.. :D

Good forecasting there boys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

LATEST IRISH WEATHER REPORTS
    ON 2-JAN-2012 for 02:00
    DUBLIN AIRPORT SW 13 RECENT SNOW 2 95 0.9 999

MULLINGAR(A) SW 09 RECENT SNOW 1 94 0.2 998

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Here's my 2 cents!

Interesting Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFuN1N7bj-0

P1080538.jpg

P1080534.jpg

P1080530.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Few miles from Dublin Airport, no snow. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Light coating of hail/sleet and snow in the last twenty minutes. Previously, we had heavy sleet most of the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Brave coating of snow and hail from about 10pm in east Donegal. There was heavy snow first, then hail then sleet at an elevation of 50m. Up at my house at 150m, about 10 miles inland, was just a short hail shower, but ground still white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Latest from aa roadwatch this morning

Last Updated: 02/01/2012 06:47:04
    National Summary Report

*CONDITIONS* * Snow and hail showers have affected roads in Ulster, particularly in Co. Donegal where the Barnesmore Gap, Meenaroy and Binbane areas are all impassable. Gardai are also advising motorists to take extra care on the N56 Donegal/Glenties Rd and the N13/N15 Donegal/Letterkenny Rd due to icy conditions. * Conditions are also icy on roads in Ennis, Co. Clare, Westport and Castlebar, Co. Mayo, around Wexford Town and Mullingar in Co. Westmeath and Cavan town. * Black ice to contend with in Thurles in Co. Tipperary and in parts of around Longford Town. * Slushy conditions around Navan, Co. Meath following earlier snowfall. *

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

As mentioned earlier, well called Darkman2, despite all the knockings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

half an inch os snow on the floor this morning, have had hail, sleet snow, rain, snot, slain, heet & raet since then. Still got anout half an inch of something on the floor.
    Oh, and the sun is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

In south Tipp since last night and the Galtee mountains are completely covered, but just sleet showers closer to see level. Can't see the snowline, but I'd guess around 150m.
    Skies are beginning to clear so hopefully some decent pics soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

ch750536 wrote: »
    half an inch os snow on the floor this morning, have had hail, sleet snow, rain, snot, slain, heet & raet since then. Still got anout half an inch of something on the floor.
    Oh, and the sun is out.

On the floor?!! Surely you should be moving that snow out of your house before it melts?! :D:D:D

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Had nothing but the odd rain and hail shower in NE Galway at 39m asl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Hail and sleet in NW Donegal, not looking forward to tonight if MT is right about the high winds :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

snow shield firmly up in cork:(

Taken with my phone, so not the best quality I'm afraid. Galtee Mts.

2012-01-02102906.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The hills around here are white with a dusting of snow, it is amazing that the snowline always seems to be around the same altitude.

It is not much, just enough to look like someone got the icing sugar out to give the place a certain look.

No thaw yet with temperatures at 1.4C here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Was sitting outside in a hot tub at about 8.40AM here in killarney, it started lashing rain but quickly turned to SLEET/SNOW/HAIL!!  :D:D:D

The shock I got when I saw/felt that! A small bit of snow stuck for about 5 mins, enough to make a big slush ball anyway. :eek:

Currently partly cloudy and calm. Seems to be another shower heading way atm.

Mountains around here are white from about half way up.

Dan :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Croagh Patrick.
    IMG_0119Large.jpg
    IMG_0116Large.jpg

Not too bad. It was more covered a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Taken with my phone, so not the best quality I'm afraid. Galtee Mts.]

What's wrong with the quality? I don't see anything wrong with it, it's got the tonal range that many a professional camera would envy and it's very clear for a tiny sensor, imagine that scaled up to 'professional' standards?

iPhone IMO, is a perfect weather cam, no need to apologise.

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »
    What's wrong with the quality? I don't see anything wrong with it, it's got the tonal range that many a professional camera would envy and it's very clear for a tiny sensor, imagine that scaled up to 'professional' standards?

iPhone IMO, is a perfect weather cam, no need to apologise.

Cheers! Turned out alright I guess. Was the first pic I'd posted up using the phone (an xmas present) and I left before I'd even seen my own post so presumed it would be standard phone quality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still little bits of snow & frozen slush on the car here and in sheltered areas of grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Roads were bad here this morning from persistent hailstones which made for dangerous driving conditions. There was quite an accumulation of hailstones. Still plenty of the white stuff lying around too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Same here, no snow but plenty of hail, still plenty lying even though the last real shower was an hour ago. Snow on the hills down to around 300m, the usual places like Barnesmore, Meenaroy etc were supposedly pretty bad this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Same here. Hailstorms are pretty intense. Windy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Met Eireann should have given more warning of the hard frost we got all over the country last night. 0 to -1 was the worst they forecast.

They have forecast no snow for tonight. Only rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

NickDrake wrote: »
    Met Eireann should have given more warning of the hard frost we got all over the country last night. 0 to -1 was the worst they forecast.

They have forecast no snow for tonight. Only rain.

And they were bang on. The lowest recorded was +0.3 °C.

Minima overnight to midday today

1 Connaught Airport (Ireland) 0.3 °C
    2 Cork Airport (Ireland) 0.3 °C
    3 Mullingar (Ireland) 0.4 °C
    4 Claremorris (Ireland) 0.9 °C
    5 Gurteen (Ireland) 0.9 °C
    6 Casement Aerodrome (Ireland) 1.2 °C
    7 Dublin Airport (Ireland) 1.3 °C
    8 Ballyhaise, Cavan (Ireland) 1.5 °C
    9 Johnstown Castle (Ireland) 1.7 °C
    10 Malin Head (Ireland) 1.7 °C
    11 Finner (Ireland) 1.9 °C
    12 Roches Point (Ireland) 2.4 °C
    13 Shannon Airport (Ireland) 2.8 °C
    14 Valentia Observatory (Ireland) 3.3 °C
    15 Mace Head (Ireland) 3.6 °C
    16 Belmullet (Ireland) 3.7 °C
    17 Sherkin Island (Ireland) 4.5 °C

It's going to get much midler tonight so there will be only rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

How come there was black ice in parts and my car was totally frozen this morning in county Cork?

Roads were lethal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

That was ground frost. Horizontal surfaces, especially car rooves, will radiate heat away to space very efficiently, and will be a lot colder than the air above them.

Minimum grass temperatures fell to -2 °C at Cork Airport overnight, while +1 C at Roches Point and +3 C at Sherkin Island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

NickDrake wrote: »
    How come there was black ice in parts and my car was totally frozen this morning in county Cork?

Roads were lethal

That is because your car gets colder than the air, as do the roads. Su campu just showed you the minimum air temps around the country. Measured at 2M asl I believe?

Dan :cool:

Advertisement