Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Day/Monday Snow Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Sparrowcar and Wild Bill have been banned for back-seat modding. Warnings about this were issued in this thread but yet people still don't get the message. Boards.ie rules are there to be followed, for the good of everyone.

Sponge Bob received his warning for persistent off-topic posting, and I have spoken about it to him before this. That post was the straw that broke the camel's back, and any more will be met with a permaban.

If people have a problem with moderators then the rule is to pm them, otherwise they will be banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I have some followers

"Sunday night will be cold and frosty with icy patches and some sleet, hail and snow showers in places" - Met Éireann

Then again they may be just drinking heavily.:P Hail comes before sleet normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

darkman2 wrote: »
    I have some followers

"Sunday night will be cold and frosty with icy patches and some sleet, hail and snow showers in places" - Met Éireann

Then again they may be just drinking heavily.:P Hail comes before sleet normally.

I see ye say that the risk of snow depends on the height u live in but how can u find out this as most are slightly higher than see level!so is it people over 150m are better or have more chance?
    I don't know much about weather so this is why I ask!

Thanks in advance
    David.

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I see ye say that the risk of snow depends on the height u live in but how can u find out this as most are slightly higher than see level!so is it people over 150m are better or have more chance?
    I don't know much about weather so this is why I ask!

Thanks in advance
    David.

Earthtools.org
    is a very good site.

The higher you are the better. The majority of the population lives between sea level and 150 metres, but some lucky ones live higher so they would be the preferred ones.

There is a slightly colder trend in the models over the past 24 hours, with the Hirlam now showing slightly lower thete-e values reaching the country than the GFS had. The NAE also has theta-w values almost a degree lower than the GFS. These, coupled with a slightly better chance of a cold layer forming near the surface, would mean snow may now survive to lower levels than the GFS was hinting at, with the snowline down to 50-100 amsl over land during tonight and for a time tomorrow morning, with some flurries surviving to sea level.

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »
    There is a slightly colder trend in the models over the past 24 hours, with the Hirlam now showing slightly lower thete-e values reaching the country than the GFS had. The NAE also has theta-w values almost a degree lower than the GFS. These, coupled with a slightly better chance of a cold layer forming near the surface, would mean snow may now survive to lower levels than the GFS was hinting at, with the snowline down to 50-100 amsl over land during tonight and for a time tomorrow morning, with some flurries surviving to sea level.

Sounds good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann
    Weather Warning

Issued at 01 January 2012 - 12:11
    Weather Warning
    Cold tonight with occasional wintry showers, some of snow mostly in western and northern counties and especially on higher ground but some at lower levels also.
    Frost developing also with some icy conditions.

Valid to 11hrs Monday 2/1/2012

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Sounds good :)
    Is there a risk of snow? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Coles wrote: »
    Is there a risk of snow? :)
    Higher ground in the West and North could certainly see snow and perhaps at lower levels for a time, depends on the track of the storm really.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tzfrantic

well we had sleet a few mins ago so we could have snow tongiht and tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

its snowing here , its got quite gusty all of a sudden too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Sleet showers here in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

Su Campu wrote: »

Checked earthtools.org, thanks for that link Su.
    Anyway, I live at 31m.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

eyesquirm wrote: »
    Anyway, I live at 31m.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

There is also an app if you're an iPhone person... it uses GPS, I used that to figure out my altitude outside my front door. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

What's the app called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

There is also an app if you're an iPhone person... it uses GPS, I used that to figure out my altitude outside my front door. :cool:

Do you know the name of the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

km79 wrote: »
    What's the app called

Oops, kind of an important detail :P Mine is called "My Altitude" :D
    Full disclosure: I sometimes check my altitude in various locations when I'm out and about, just to see if those areas are more likely to get sn*w than me. :rolleyes: The first step is admitting you have a problem.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

eyesquirm wrote: »
    Anyway, I live at 31m.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

For android users there is an app call "get altitude" can be downloaded from the market.

I checked am at 60m! So a little bit of hope but not holding out much!

thomasj wrote: »
    For android users there is an app call "get altitude" can be downloaded from the market.

U need an iPhone much much better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

U need an iPhone much much better ;)

Have a galaxy nexus probably the best phone i have ever had and i have had an iphone 3gs and an iphone 4.

Though thats an argument for another forum! :D

• Advertisement

Have a galaxy nexus probably the best phone i have ever had and i have had an iphone 3gs and an iphone 4.

Though thats an argument for another forum! :D

Apple sales speaks for itself but ye an other topic :D

So I hope it snows soon lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Shame this thread went the way it did. Handle quite well by Su and Darkman, respect for that.

GFS fot Tuesday night
    12010300_0112.gif

UKMO has alot of precip movinging with the system
    12010300_0112.gif

If it does snow at sea level, it will quickly melt. I can't see Leinster and Munster getting any snow at all (at sea level) The main event is going to be the winds and how much the low bombs before it hits us. GFS has it hitting Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

no snow coming any where near munster :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Haily sleet here in N Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Heavy rain with a small bit of hail! wow, so excited... :o:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

First report of snow shower at Knock Airport.

MET EIREANN

KNOCK AIRPORT(P) W 11 Gust 24 RECENT SNOW 1 92 0.5 995

How are we looking for this snow tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Just heard its snowing in Roscommon now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Extremely heavy hail shower here with some snow mixed in, ground is all white :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Vanbis wrote: »
    Just heard its snowing in Roscommon now.

Ye rain/snow showing up on radar now. Nothing fully snow as of yet though.

Advertisement