Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

On Sheilstown hill (leg 7) tree clearing is in progress. There are signs out 'do not pass' but there are no actual blockages. Another fine forest reduced to pulp.

Fine fine views to Lug today from there.
    6998538486_a307f79912_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Similar such no unauthorised past this point signs on leg 5 with at least 2 logging teams working but WW road is open. Plenty of log piles and at about 5k one can see the next km of hill ahead. I prefer the ignorance of not knowing!

Another view. Not much left up there.

6998537516_41a7669e4c_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Some serious logging going on around Three Rock when I was up there a couple of weeks ago, although nowhere near the seeming scorched earth approach you have pictured there. Being kind (or naïve), I am assuming that they have a long term plan and this includes harvesting large areas before replanting for the future ?

Some serious logging going on around Three Rock when I was up there a couple of weeks ago, although nowhere near the seeming scorched earth approach you have pictured there. Being kind (or naïve), I am assuming that they have a long term plan and this includes harvesting large areas before replanting for the future ?

This crosses over with a discussion on the Coillte thread. The replanting can be sporadic. Years after clear felling some areas are still awaiting replanting. Some areas are replanted quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Reminder to everyone that Boards are hosting the upcoming Carrick Race, and Race Director Slogger Jogger is looking for a few more volunteers. Thanks to all the Boardsies who have volunteered so far, we need a few more non-running helpers to make this a race to remember. Sign up on the IMRA forum.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Thanks to all the Boardsies who have volunteered so far, we need a few more non-running helpers to make this a race to remember.

From an organising point of view I much prefer the forgettable races :)
    Best of luck with it obviously!

Not ones typical race with a downhill soon after start and uphill shortly before finish.
    A damp evening but minus the wind and wasn't too cold. Plenty of mud for 2nd loop but on the whole wasn't treacherous.

Used tape on ankles instead of braces and with the weight shed I competed at a higher level than usual, and once through the bottleneck at start picked off places through out the race. Had a good tussle with couple of others as we passed each other a few times depending on our strengths. At one stage at end of first loop, I was at the back of a pack of 4, but in the end managed to finish at head of pack and also delighted not to have a sprint finish. It was hard enough as it was :)

By far and away my highest ever finish in summer league :eek:

I doubt I'll be anywhere near that placing in the longer races and by my reckoning another team win for boards :)

Thanks to all volunteers. You earned your keep and race was marshaled very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Mothman wrote: »
    Had a good tussle with couple of others as we passed each other a few times depending on our strengths. At one stage at end of first loop, I was at the back of a pack of 4, but in the end managed to finish at head of pack and also delighted not to have a sprint finish. It was hard enough as it was :)

That was a good little scrap the four of us had! Well done for coming out on top. I'll arrange a sprint finish for you next time you pass me close to the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Super running up front lads !!!

• Advertisement

Great day for Mullaghcleevaun :)
    Was all set to go myself but had upset tummy this morn with the associated runs :(
    So reluctantly common sense won out, but I did a consolation run around Carrick, not on Wednesday's course....I kept my feet dry ;)
    The dog was pleased, got to chase deer and fox rather then minding fort at home :)

I'm away for Carrick this Wed and can't make Glenmacnass next Sunday either. In fact my next IMRA run is WWR!

Hi,
    A mainly Boardsie volunteer supported event takes place this Wednesday. If you are a boardsie runner this is a race to get out and run. We've a great and challenging route for you. Try car pool though or the parking nazi will shout bad things at you. :)
    Regards,
    Mick

Hi,
    A mainly Boardsie volunteer supported event takes place this Wednesday. If you are a boardsie runner this is a race to get out and run. We've a great and challenging route for you. Try car pool though or the parking nazi will shout bad things at you. :)
    Regards,
    Mick

You know you have Jinxed the weather !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's no such thing as bad weather for an IMRA race !

Wet and mucky is great craic, dry and sunny means great views and, eh, good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭paulocon2

Hi,
    Regards,
    Mick

I will be there anyway - hoping to get 7 races in altogether and get a league placing. It sounds like a tough race - I found Three Rock hard going so not sure how I'll cope with Carrick. I've heard the course is very wet and muddy so should be good fun if nothing else.

Anyone familiar with the course? I had a look at the profile and it appears that the first 3km will be 'the pain'. Last 3km would appear to be mostly downhill so if I can make it that far, I should be ok!

"I had a look at the profile and it appears that the first 3km will be 'the pain'. Last 3km would appear to be mostly downhill so if I can make it that far, I should be ok!"

Yeah, thats a fair summation. We did a shorter race here a few years back where we used some wicked downhill bits. Might do that route the next time. This hill has a lot of variation to offer. Its very under-utilised.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There's no such thing as bad weather for an IMRA race !

Wet and mucky is great craic, dry and sunny means great views and, eh, good weather.

It matters when you are laptop operator :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 declanmoffit

That was an absolutely brilliant race. Great climbs and lovely windy stretches through the forest. The final descent was savage!

Wonder if anyone got clothes-lined by the low tree!? :) It nearly got me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done Slogger and team, very well organised and a great turnout, I was nearly tempted but sense prevailed.
    First 100 Pix from last night, was having fun and games with the new Flickr uploader, there's another 87 or so to go up later this morning.
    Anyone looking for the full res without watermark PM me or contact me through Flickr.

What an absolutely fabulous course. Tough first 3km but very runnable afterwards, a fantastic mix of terrain and the steep descent towards the end was great fun altogether.

Managed to pace myself to some degree as opposed to Bray and Three Rock where I blew up halfway through. Turned all sounds off on my Garmin thingie and it was the best thing I ever done - far easier to just run and enjoy the race when you're not watching the distance so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

I've got to say I found it pretty tough last night. Nice course though, well marked and well organised.

I feel awful though..I yelled out "look out!" because I'd accidentally whiplashed a thorny branch behind me and I knew there was a runner on my heels and the lady in front of me got startled and jumped off the path! Karma was served though as she snuck past later on to finish one place ahead of me! :o

Ro

Results up. 4s between the 1st 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

Hi guys has any one a profile for next wen night race? Missed last due to hols but looking forward to next week all ready :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

There's a garmin link to a profile of the route here: http://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/2915/ The only difference is the route is in reverse this year.

It's a great course.

Its that season again. People otherwise unfamiliar with some sections of the Wicklow way are out doing their recces. I guided one this evening. Very pleasant it was too, although I had to bike it (can't run). Spotted others out too and saw some cars parked where there usually aren't any so the way is a busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As much as I enjoyed all the natural obstacles throughout last nights courses I now feel it was missing one thing, Zombies !!

Its that season again. People otherwise unfamiliar with some sections of the Wicklow way are out doing their recces. I guided one this evening. Very pleasant it was too, although I had to bike it (can't run). Spotted others out too and saw some cars parked where there usually aren't any so the way is a busy.

Yeah, its a great time of year for it down these parts! I hooked up with a couple of Rathfarnham recce'ers on leg 7 this evening, and noticed some running type girls back from their leg 8 recce at the carpark. Other places had cars parked that suggested running activity too. Great evening for it!:)

Thought for the day.. a new IMRA role (of sorts). Route designer. We can get lazy running the same routes over and over. Some mountains, like Carrick in Glenealy, offer boundless options for the creative (or evil) route designer. A route often doesn't emerge overnight. It can take a no. of trips to a hill in recce mode to try things out. Personally I'd prefer variety and a challenging route to something say like scalp thats all over and done with in no time at all. The winning time last week was scarcely enough time to input the runners details into the computer. :confused:

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    There's a garmin link to a profile of the route here: http://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/2915/ The only difference is the route is in reverse this year.

It's a great course.

Wow... Legs are sore just looking at that! Walked Djouce and White Hill some time ago but not familiar with that area at all. Is some of it along the 'boardwalk'?

Looks like parking might be an issue for this one - will be travelling with at least one other participant. Just wondering if anyone familiar with the area knows if there is any parking nearby from where we could cycle to the start?

• Advertisement

paulocon2 wrote: »
    Wow... Legs are sore just looking at that! Walked Djouce and White Hill some time ago but not familiar with that area at all. Is some of it along the 'boardwalk'?

Looks like parking might be an issue for this one - will be travelling with at least one other participant. Just wondering if anyone familiar with the area knows if there is any parking nearby from where we could cycle to the start?

Fair play to you Paul, great to see runners taking the car parking seriously. The prize giving is at the Coach House in Roundwood, so you could park here and bike up 6k to the race.

Advertisement