Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

This is obviously problematic, being last minute ish and all. Some people will no doubt claim they don't check online too often so therefore have missed the cap warning.

I collected the key from Coillte and it came with a permit form which limits the numbers. I'm assuming the news of the cap only arose in recent days. In which case there wasn't really time to organise an alternative route. True there'll be unhappy people but hopefully they'll see that IMRA has to work within the guidelines of the park. It anyone is too balshy the committee should take steps. Anyone running when told they shouldn't are putting in jeopardy IMRA's re-use of the route and other events e.g. Circuit of Glendo, could get a relook by the National Park.

Race pre-registration is needed to sort this. IMRA shouldn't have to pay 7% to another organisation to do this though. We should be able to work it through ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

This is obviously problematic, being last minute ish and all. Some people will no doubt claim they don't check online too often so therefore have missed the cap warning.

I collected the key from Coillte and it came with a permit form which limits the numbers. I'm assuming the news of the cap only arose in recent days. In which case there wasn't really time to organise an alternative route. True there'll be unhappy people but hopefully they'll see that IMRA has to work within the guidelines of the park. It anyone is too balshy the committee should take steps. Anyone running when told they shouldn't are putting in jeopardy IMRA's re-use of the route and other events e.g. Circuit of Glendo, could get a relook by the National Park.

Race pre-registration is needed to sort this. IMRA shouldn't have to pay 7% to another organisation to do this though. We should be able to work it through ourselves.

SJ, I would gladly pay an extra euro an event to see this potential hazard handled as pre-registration online, I'm sure the majority of people would too.

I'd agree too with an earlier post that anyone who volunteered in the past should be given preference to register ahead of the rest of the members.

Would there be many other calendar races potentially affected by a cap in future?
    With so many races taking in Djouce that surely is marked as a problem area for erosion?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firemouth

I'd agree too with an earlier post that anyone who volunteered in the past should be given preference to register ahead of the rest of the members.
    This could greatly affect the chances of new members to run in races and therefore setting up a kind of "old boys club"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

firemouth wrote: »
    This could greatly affect the chances of new members to run in races and therefore setting up a kind of "old boys club"

I'm a new runner, (5 races completed) and I wouldn't be put off by an incentive to volunteer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't think it would as I expect such a limit to only apply to a few races, plus what better way to get to know the lay of the land than by being involved in the organisation of one.

I like the idea of volunteers given preference where such limitations apply, the more volunteering sessions you've done, the higher you are on the list. I don't think it's possible without a pre-registration system being implemented first though unless the existing IMRA forum was used a registration page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

Hello, emigrated IMRA runner here... living in Scotland so did the Jura fell race last weekend. I put together a little report for it and thought I would share it here. If it interests anybody for next year PM me and I can give you advice on entering, getting there etc.

I’m just back from my extended stay on Jura. The “weekend” began on Thursday at 9am San Francisco time (5pm Glasgow time) with me boarding my first 6hr flight and continued in this theme with a second 6hr flight at 7pm New York time (midnight Glasgow time), unfortunately this flight sat on the tarmac for 2 hours making it more like an 8hr flight. After a quick stop off in town to get a camel pack (figured I needed it because of the heat forecast), map and a few gels I finally got to bed 11am Glasgow time (3am San Francisco time). After two hours sleep I had to get to Whiteinch to collect a car and then pack it just in time for the GF to return from work and make our way to Tayvallich. After a broken night’s sleep we caught the "8am" “ferry” (actually left at 7:45am and was actually a rib) to Jura. The ferry was amazing and I got my first view of the paps… feck what have I got myself into?

The registration was a bit of an event; my pertex jacket wasn’t good enough, despite the 20+ degrees forecast and I had to run with my heavy goretex jacket. Although this meant I had more room for water as I just tied the jacket to the outside of my pack. I then got changed, sun creamed, vaselined and the tent pitched. At 10:30am Jura time (2:30 am San Francisco time) we set off up the first hill.

Up the first hill, I didn’t know where my body was. I stayed at the back at the start just to force myself to slow down. I could see some club mates up in front and despite normally being stronger than them on a climb I was suffering just to stop them completely dropping me. The view from the first hill was awe inspiring and the descent down the ridge was really breath-taking. Second and third hills were a breeze just taking in the view and not dropping too much between summits. The first big descent was alright, got into a good rhythm and enjoyed the little bit of scree surfing.

Onto the first pap and up close it looked even more awesome, huge scree patches and an impossibly steep slope. The climb went OK and I could still see two club mates up ahead. Thankfully a nice breeze kept the heat at bay. The view from the top was again amazing, and I took a few moments to take it in. Down this slope was very hard… the “path” through the boulder scree was very steep and had almost no grip, just dust. I was getting worried, if the next two Paps were this tough I would be in trouble.

Up the 2nd Pap was much easier than the first thankfully and I could still see a club vest up ahead... but it was gaining the whole time. I figured I was with the group I would run with for the whole race, most of them Jura veterans from way down south, Newcastle, Leeds and Penrith. The 2nd Pap was much easier to descend too and it wasn’t long before I was onto the 3rd.

Up the 3rd involved a much tougher climb, across some big boulder scree and I couldn’t see any club mates anymore. I was putting a little bit of distance my group, I guess all my training in The Climbing Academy was paying off. However the decent was hell. I don’t know if there is a clean route down this slope but I certainly didn’t find it. There were patches of good scree but I got stuck several times and had to walk/down climb across huge loose boulders… I was delighted when I reached the path and was finally running again.

The final climb was much tougher than I expected it to be and my legs were really cramping now. I just kept saying put one foot in front of the other, one foot in front of the other. Reaching the top felt like a huge relief and the descent was great fun… just a nice grassy path all the way (what a relief). I even manage to pass 4 people, that’s a first for me. When I reached the road I was focused on a good 3 mile time. The first mile went OK catching 2 people, however the heat was unbearable and the wind that we had in the mountains was all but gone. My heart rate was going through the roof and I had to slow down. Even by slowing down my heart rate was not recovering and I had to walk. I was gutted. I walked for 3 minutes and then tried to run again, but immediately my heart rate went through the roof and I had to stop again. I sprayed some water down my back and tried to run again. I got about 1km before having to walk again. The 2 people I had caught passed me and I was getting a little annoyed. After a bit of psych up talk to myself (sorry to anybody who overheard me) I got running and made it to the finish. My GF even joined me for the last 100m. I didn’t bother stopping and just went straight to the sea for a sit down in the cool water. I finished at 15:25pm Jura time ( 7:25am San Francisco time and 10:25am New York time).

Great report n-dawg. A classic race. Where did you finish in the overall results btw?

Back to the Brockagh event.. the way some people respond on the forum its as if the committee decide a route a few days beforehand :rolleyes: The calendar is set at the start of the year. A cap on a LL event hasn't happened before so I suppose it only enters into consideration when next year's calendar is being put together. No harm if that consultation involves Coillte and/or the National park.

Maybe a calendar needs to have a few contingency routes in reserve just in case...

The sustainability policy seems a bit inconsistent though. As mentioned in other posts, other routes tend to be quite over-used - not just by runners (and runners and walkers generally leave just footprints). Brockagh on a warm dry summers evening isn't really going to take a hammering is it? :confused:

The repair of paths is another issue (I'd prefer soft bog to plastic matting or stone slabs any day). :confused:

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I like the idea of volunteers given preference where such limitations apply, the more volunteering sessions you've done, the higher you are on the list. I don't think it's possible without a pre-registration system being implemented first though unless the existing IMRA forum was used a registration page.

Im not knocking the volunteer system and but I believe sport should always be inclusive not exclusive

Registration is hectic enough without having to check up people's volunteering record. It couldn't really work - unless you had, guess what, more volunteers.

1st 150 is the only way to do it. It'll require more oversight than normal too. God forbid more than 150 people show up in the results and there could be hell to pay as the permit will be seen to have been breached which could have potential consequences for future events.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

I was 75th Slogger, I reckon with a bit better preparation (not being jet lagged) getting my hands on the 4hr Jura Glass would be possible. Unfortunately it was my first time getting Mudged on Saturday... revenge will be mine on Wednesday.

Just had a read over the capping issue. Its a pity because IMRA has always been so accessible and that was a lot of its charm. I don't particularly like the pre entry thing with a lot of the big races here.

What was the event that will be on in the afternoon? Surly some of the blame must fall on the national park for not informing them of the IMRA race on the same day. Which race got in there first??

Fingers crossed it can be sorted and doesn't become the norm.

• Advertisement

I'm a new runner, (5 races completed) and I wouldn't be put off by an incentive to volunteer.
    not saying it would discourage people but you might find you dont have enough "points" built up

Yeah, as I said, if such a solution was to be looked at it wouldn't work without some sort of automated system tied in with your volunteer record. But if there's only going to be a handful of races with limits it wouldn't be worthwhile investing any effort into it anyway.

But as for creating an old boys club or excluding people, it wasn't an IMRA decision to exclude anyone.

I too like the accessibility of the races and how you can decide on the evening if you want to go or not, but again, there's little I think that can be done in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I've yet to see overcrowding issues at the weekend races. No sign of an old boys network in IMRA as long as you are willing to stray further afield than the Wednesday leagues.
    The weekend races are smaller, more intimate and friendlier!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But as for creating an old boys club or excluding people, it wasn't an IMRA decision to exclude anyone.

never said it was,i said the idea of giving preferentail treatment to some members over others could create it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

never said it was,i said the idea of giving preferentail treatment to some members over others could create it

As it is, the (majority) who don't volunteer get preferential treatment- they arrive later and depart sooner, they get time to do a warm-up at leisure, they get the benefit of some blue-lipped marshal taking their summit times on a sodden Lug. Giving guaranteed entry to number-capped races, to those who help make it all possible, would be a way of redressing that balance.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    As it is, the (majority) who don't volunteer get preferential treatment- they arrive later and depart sooner, they get time to do a warm-up at leisure, they get the benefit of some blue-lipped marshal taking their summit times on a sodden Lug. Giving guaranteed entry to number-capped races, to those who help make it all possible, would be a way of redressing that balance.
    ouch!glad you let the "majority" know how you feel!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

So, who raced Brockagh?

Got away early from work and decided to chance it. Travelling from Louth, I didn't think I'd make it up in time for the cut-off so had provisions in place to reccie Scarr or Powerscourt Uphill as this is my first year taking part in the IMRA races.

There was a kind of reverential hush heading into the Registration room which resulted in a calmness about the place. We got there around 6:30 and I think we were number 70 on the golden list. I believe the cap was reached around 6:50.

A few lads arrived at the starting line around 7:15 looking for the registration location - when I told them that the race was full and there was a cap, they claimed they hadn't heard about it. It seems some people don't check the website/forum too often. I thought the details of the cap were relayed very well to be fair.

As for the race itself, I found it really tough. I struggled big-time on the ascent but managed to make up a good few places on the descent. I really need to work on my uphill technique, seemed to alternate between running and walking most of the way up (any training tips?). I would love to see the respective positions from the summit/finish line, it would certainly make interesting reading.

I can see why numbers were limited given the erosion on the track and the type of terrain particularly across the top. With the growing popularity of hill walking and hill running and a growing awareness of conservation, I assume it's something that will become more and more of an issue as the authorities try to balance the management of resources against the desire for recreational activities.

Anyway, another great race and excellently organised as usual. Didn't see any of the predicted carnage when the 'No more entries' sign went up and I hope the respective volunteers weren't given any grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Got there about 6.30 as well.

I felt I had tired legs from relay on Sat and a run the previous evening. Also I've got competition this weekend and another important competition in less than 3 weeks. I never really pushed throughout...stayed within a comfortable zone..until the last 800m where the road flattens. This is when a top 10 which I had given up on seemed to beckon and I pushed on and claimed it just before last bend. :)

More than 2 minutes quicker than last year.

Really struggled to do a warm down but legs now, while tired are not showing other signs of stress. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

paulocon2 wrote: »

It seems some people don't check the website/forum too often. I thought the details of the cap were relayed very well to be fair.

yeah that really irritates me...not sure how they expect IMRA to communicate with them? Take out a page in the Times?

Loved the race, best position in the League so far this year so hopefully things starting to improve. Tucked in behind some guy in a greyish t shirt and basically ran when he ran, walked when he walked, tried not to think too much. Lost 8 places on the descent, which is normal for me as I'm sh*te at descending. Got to sort that out.

And yeah I agree. Another well organised race. Sod the whingers! I have never seen anything like IMRA. 7 bills for a race where you get photos uploaded and tagged that night, results up before you're home and a plethora of stats (some of them even understandable :rolleyes:) available. Interesting courses on hills I've never run on before. Courses marked and demarked, First Aid Support, marshalling, accurate time-keeping, prizes, raffles. Organized car pooling...

FOR SEVEN QUID!!?

It's unreal. One of the best sporting resources in Ireland surely.

Ro

Ar Strae wrote: »
    And yeah I agree. Another well organised race. Sod the whingers! I have never seen anything like IMRA. 7 bills for a race where you get photos uploaded and tagged that night, results up before you're home and a plethora of stats (some of them even understandable :rolleyes:) available. Interesting courses on hills I've never run on before. Courses marked and demarked, First Aid Support, marshalling, accurate time-keeping, prizes, raffles. Organized car pooling...

FOR SEVEN QUID!!?

It's unreal. One of the best sporting resources in Ireland surely.

Ro

Totally agree,IMRA races without a doubt are the best value for money and also definitly the most well run.
    Thoroughly enjoyed last night and I have to say after seeing the condition of the mountain first hand I can fully understand the reason for the cap,the mountain in parts is quite fragile and i drove home last night wondering what it would look like by this time next year,in retrospect the limit of 150 was probably quite generous.
    Thanks to all involved in the organising last night 10/10

• Advertisement

Got there just after 6:30 myself, also thinking I'd be pushing the cap but I was in the 80s, seemed to fill up quick enough after that leaving a few bemused faces when they closed the doors. Spotted the same people running the course anyway in their own groups.

It was a long slog to the top but I enjoyed the run to the end until we got back to the forest again. The finish felt like it was miles back, I just don't enjoy running on tails like that on a lead in to the finish.

It was the driest IMRA race I've ever done too, don't think I've ever come home cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I couldn't leave town early enough and gambled on lads staying away with the idea they wouldn't risk it but it seems the general attitude was get there before 6.30pm which blew my 7pm arrival tactic into smithereens..

I suppose that's one of the reasons I don't often gamble:)

The lads who ran on the imra course who were not in the race because they missed the 150 limit are really and truly missing the point entirely though. Whatever about the arbitary nature of 150 (why not 120 or 180) once the national park made that decision lads should respect it. There are mountains in every single direction from Laragh for lads to have a training run on.

And very well done to Torben on what I believe is his first win!

Peterx wrote:
    The lads who ran on the imra course who were not in the race because they missed the 150 limit are really and truly missing the point entirely though. Whatever about the arbitary nature of 150 (why not 120 or 180) once the national park made that decision lads should respect it. There are mountains in every single direction from Laragh for lads to have a training run on.

I thought the same myself. If I missed the cut off I was planning on popping up to one of the trails around the lakes.

Peterx wrote: »
    The lads who ran on the imra course who were not in the race because they missed the 150 limit are really and truly missing the point entirely...
    Couldn't agree more. I could hardly believe it to be honest. All it takes is someone from the National parks to be counting runners...

+1 re: Torben. He was in a fragile state after Saturday's WWR but he certainly bounced back last night. Conditions for running were just perfect. And no midges really to speak of. That is unheard of for Brockagh in the LL.

No short course option, but a (very!) early start, a good old fashioned Wicklow Round attempt starting tonight at 2am. At least 3 of the 4 are Boardsies (dapope, dunebuggy, SureWhyNot?) best of luck to you all lads!

No short course option, but a (very!) early start, a good old fashioned Wicklow Round attempt starting tonight at 2am. At least 3 of the 4 are Boardsies (dapope, dunebuggy, SureWhyNot?) best of luck to you all lads!

Best of luck to those taking part - always amazed when I see someone attempting something like this. Must take so much dedication and training to be in a position even to contemplate an attempt never mind follow through on it.

When you say no short course option, what do you mean? Was there a change to the Round recently - seem to recall seeing something about it on the IMRA website.

paulocon2 wrote: »

When you say no short course option, what do you mean? Was there a change to the Round recently - seem to recall seeing something about it on the IMRA website.

Just a joke on the recent IMRA debate about short courses, early starts, etc. for the LL races. (There was also a discussion about a mooted "Half Round" last year, but that isn't what I was referring to).

Can you wear an ipod while pushing on the Round?;)

Just a joke on the recent IMRA debate about short courses, early starts, etc. for the LL races. (There was also a discussion about a mooted "Half Round" last year, but that isn't what I was referring to).

Can you wear an ipod while pushing on the Round?;)

With you now!

Hopefully there's not a cap that stops the 4th person from taking part!

Look forward to hearing how the group get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Any news on the lads?

• Advertisement

jeffontour wrote: »
    Any news on the lads?

Updates over on the IMRA forum at: http://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/2968/

Advertisement