Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Not totally sure. Some great individual performances though.
    Pablo-T 2nd in the ultra to a guy who was 3rd in the Donadea ultra (I'm told). Get this Pablo-T did a warm up run from Kilmashogue to JFs before the ultra. A An hours worth? Thats either dedication or madness :)
    Barry Murray 4rd I think. A guy from the North was 3rd.
    No Enduro. Injured and couldn't start.

Amidou Demele was 3rd in the trail. Brian Furey ahead of him but not sure if he was 1st? Ian Conroy was in the mix too. Greg 6th, Rene 7th. All in great times. Lyliard is working for the guys.
    I was 11th I think c. 1 min off the last time I ran on this.

Light wind from the south so pretty perfect conditions all around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Thanks Mick, nice round-up. Well done to all. Raighne certainly has a champion formula everywhere you look; those result's are a credit to his Lydiard methods.

(And I thought Rath were the team to beat for the WWR;))

*Edit* Kudos too to Mr. Bus conductor- keeping on top of those last minute transfers is some job!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Hey Jeff, I've no sunburn vest lines? #wearlongsleeves ;)

I broke all my own rules with that singlet today, slogger!

But you know, having only worn it once before it was well overdue an outing. The chaffed under arm hurt like f*&k when sprayed with deoderant inadvertantly this eve.

(And I thought Rath were the team to beat for the WWR
    Slowly. Slowly. Catchy. Monkey. :)

Results up. Finished lower that I thought, but goes to show you shouldn't believe what people are telling you. In a race like this when people are counting places it tends to go to pot when their are 2 races happening simultaneously :)

Great time by Ian Conroy. Not too far off the time set by last year's winner. Brian wasn't too far behind, reflective of the close tussle they had during the race. And how good was that finish by Amidou.. putting a clear gap behind him and 4th/5th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Brilliant event and well organised and the water supplies were a godsend :)
    My longest run ever. I did a 2 hr run back in early Jan, but otherwise haven't exceeded 90 minutes. Went out easy, but in the end probably could not have done it much quicker. Passed a few runners during 2nd half, though some may have been ultra runners. I eased back coming off Prince William and was pleased to finish in good shape considering target competition in 2 weeks.

Did 12k orienteering today. None of the usual sharpness and my legs are not happy now...but nothing that a couple days won't fix :)

Will be happy to do again especially if I have some more long runs in my legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Ciara Largey sending a top XC runner back to where she belongs.
    Excellent racing by Ciara and took another minute off her own course record.
    Fell running animal.

Cheque confirmed as received for WWR. I'm taking that as a confirmation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

ocnoc wrote: »
    Ciara Largey sending a top XC runner back to where she belongs.
    Excellent racing by Ciara and took another minute off her own course record.
    Fell running animal.

Fair play to Ciara Largey indeed.

However there's no need for the "sending people back to where they belong to" attitude. New runners getting into hillrunning is a good thing, at all levels. jeez..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Jeez that WWTrail knocked me for six. I feel like I ran the ultra. I haven't run since Saturday (and could barely walk on Sun/Mon).

Strange - it wasnt this bad last year. Am I getting old :eek:

• Advertisement

Peterx wrote: »
    Fair play to Ciara Largey indeed.

However there's no need for the "sending people back to where they belong to" attitude. New runners getting into hillrunning is a good thing, at all levels. jeez..

I completely agree.
    However, it royally pisses me off when people rock up and think they can just walk away with a race win.
    And there is an attitude of "Oh, mountain running, thats easy to win" etc floating around

Jeez that WWTrail knocked me for six. I feel like I ran the ultra.

When you passed me in my cramping mess I would have did anything to swap positions!

I threw together a race report for the WW Ultra over on the IMRA site. It's the usual rambling, self indulgent sh1te for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I completely agree.
    However, it royally pisses me off when people rock up and think they can just walk away with a race win.
    And there is an attitude of "Oh, mountain running, thats easy to win" etc floating around

You can't completely agree! How in Grud's name will be have an internet argument if you completely agree. jeez..

Fine. I half agree :)

I believe my initial statement was not fully correct.

Orienteering is slated as a treasure hunt for people that can't run. This annoys me greatly. If Laura was to race Ciara in a XC race, she would win hands down. If Ciara was to race Laura in an orienteering race, the time gap would be huge.

Mountain running is the closest ground we have between XC and Orienteering.
    So to see an orienteer come out on top is a good thing for orienteering.

Its not my fault orienteers can rock up to a mountain race and beat cross country runners (and the mountain runners...)

:)

Jeez that WWTrail knocked me for six. I feel like I ran the ultra. I haven't run since Saturday (and could barely walk on Sun/Mon).

Strange - it wasnt this bad last year. Am I getting old :eek:

Was it a lot warmer this year? I wasnt 100% running (hip giving me gip) so I ran conservatively and it worked out. A cycle on Sunday had me back doing an easy run last night. Still sore today though. Then again I'm almost always a permanent wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

jeffontour wrote: »
    When you passed me in my cramping mess I would have did anything to swap positions!

Dont think I'll ever try the ultra. Hardcore!
    Was it a lot warmer this year? I wasnt 100% running (hip giving me gip) so I ran conservatively and it worked out. A cycle on Sunday had me back doing an easy run last night. Still sore today though. Then again I'm almost always a permanent wreck.

The heat is about the only variable I can blame it on I guess.
    (I'd like to claim I ran conservatively too, but I didnt really. I'm just not any faster than last year :()

Going to try a recovery jog now. Might be a lot of embarrassing limping.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

jeffontour wrote: »
    I threw together a race report for the WW Ultra over on the IMRA site. It's the usual rambling, self indulgent sh1te for those interested.

Good report Jeff. All that Orbana and he still never said keep her lit, as he passed !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Fine. I half agree :)

I believe my initial statement was not fully correct.

Orienteering is slated as a treasure hunt for people that can't run. This annoys me greatly. If Laura was to race Ciara in a XC race, she would win hands down. If Ciara was to race Laura in an orienteering race, the time gap would be huge.

Mountain running is the closest ground we have between XC and Orienteering.
    So to see an orienteer come out on top is a good thing for orienteering.

Its not my fault orienteers can rock up to a mountain race and beat cross country runners (and the mountain runners...)

:)

Nowadays the orienteers seem to choose their races just as carefully as cross country runners though.... a good chance of the crock of gold does seem to be a prerequisite for some of these captain birdseyes.:pac:

T runner wrote: »
    Nowadays the orienteers seem to choose their races just as carefully as cross country runners though.... a good chance of the crock of gold does seem to be a prerequisite for some of these captain birdseyes.:pac:

IMRA College Champs -V- British Elite O Champs (worlds selection)
    IMRA Wicklow Glacier Lakes -V- National 10k (Donore debt collecting)
    IMRA Tonelagee -V- College T&F.... (I'll go get my coat and leave) :o
    IMRA Slieve Donard -V- Irish Orienteering Champs
    IMRA Circuit of Glenmacnass -V- College exams
    IMRA Carrauntoohil -V- WOC Selection
    IMRA European Trials -V- WOC Selection
    IMRA Circuit of Glendalough -V- Jukola
    IMRA Mount Leinster -V- WOC
    IMRA Mweelrea -V- WOC
    IMRA Stone Cross -V- CRESO
    IMRA Galtymore.... check! (assuming I am in the country)
    IMRA Slieve Foye -V- National Half -V- Nordic Tour
    Mourne Mountain Marathon -V- WOC Training
    :D:D:D

IMRA should be more considerate of orienteers :P:pac:

On a separate note, anyone want to sponsor the CNOC based members of the Irish Orienteering Mountain Running Squad?

• Advertisement

IMRA College Champs -V- British Elite O Champs (worlds selection)
    Mourne Mountain Marathon -V- WOC Training, Finland
    :D:D:D

My heart bleeds for ya! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

What no Boards team!!! Maybe should have been Boardwalks :) Wicklow Glacier Lakes at 9 teams and counting ... put those excellent navigation courses from Paul Nolan to the test guys n gals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Maybe a bit early but has anybody got a route map/garmin profile of the Killiney Hill race? Or, failing that, can anyone describe the direction the route takes?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/5961376

Most of the IMRA garmins are over in a sticky on the events forum. it's a relay. 3 per team. 2.5km lap. In aid of GOAL.

My After-8s team and dp's All A-Boards teams are confirmed for the WWR.

37 teams confirmed incl. a nice mix of club teams. No sign of a Clonliffe team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

From IMRA forum:

A few years ago, In mind of IMRA members giving something back to the environment where we enjoy our sport, 4 of us took a day to clean up the area on Leg 2 around the Glencree river which had been subjected to severe littering and dumping by campers.

This year, to keep the positive action towards our environment going, could i suggest that all team captains ask team members reccing to carry a bag with them for collecting any odd bits of litter spotted? (on all legs)

It seems a very easy way to get and keep the Wicklow way spotless and clean and would be a not insignificant gesture from us for the good of all people who use it.

Hope this meets with support from our team captains.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SureWhyNot!

The guys in Basecamp have agreed let us distribute the yearbook through their shop on Abbey Street. They have 20 or so copies in the shop for anyone with the requisite €14 in cash... please pay cash as it keeps the money separate from the regular till receipts.

While you're in collecting a copy you can check out the new trail running section in the shop... remember the summer league are kicking off soon. Have you got all you need for Scarr, Brockagh, Carrauntoohil, Log na Coille and the Nav Challenges?

Big thanks again to Bascamp (www.basecamp.ie) and MultiSport Adventure Ireland (www.msai.ie) for supporting this years yearbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a pretty good book and it's almost like a "Where's ThisRegard?" book for me, I think I'm up to spotting myself in 4 pics so far !

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

Who should be on the Irish team for the Karrimor Great Trail Race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Fun race on Tonelagee today. Sloppy as hell coming down off the summit the first time though! Third time running it, slowest time but best position so I'll focus on the positive! :D

Cheers Ocnoc for chatting to me on the way up to the summit, I wasn't really in much of a position to talk!

The season has begun in earnest now... it's gonna be big!

Ro

Advertisement