Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Thought for the day.. a new IMRA role (of sorts). Route designer. We can get lazy running the same routes over and over. Some mountains, like Carrick in Glenealy, offer boundless options for the creative (or evil) route designer. A route often doesn't emerge overnight. It can take a no. of trips to a hill in recce mode to try things out. Personally I'd prefer variety and a challenging route to something say like scalp thats all over and done with in no time at all. The winning time last week was scarcely enough time to input the runners details into the computer. :confused:
    On the flip side there is room for variety in the 13 summer league races to suit different abilities. Short races have their place as do long races such as Seefingan.

Also I enjoy running running familiar routes for comparison purposes, though weather and underfoot conditions can make comparisons folly.

Certainly there is potential on Carrick for a better route (there are endless possibilities!) but the more complicated a route, the less likely the markers will repeat exact same route from year to year.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

paulocon2 wrote: »
    Looks like parking might be an issue for this one - will be travelling with at least one other participant. Just wondering if anyone familiar with the area knows if there is any parking nearby from where we could cycle to the start?

Parking is in a field opposite start and there was plenty of room last year. Bit of a traffic jam getting in/out, but this is the best model for these LL races.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭paulocon2

Antigrav wrote: »
    Parking is in a field opposite start and there was plenty of room last year. Bit of a traffic jam getting in/out, but this is the best model for these LL races.

Ok, cheers for that. If there's going to be plenty of room, Ill use the car-park. Most people will be gone by the time myself and the other chap get back to the car!

I believe some of the races (Seefingan?) have very limited parking (if any at all) - will pack the bicycle for those ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Mothman wrote: »
    On the flip side there is room for variety in the 13 summer league races to suit different abilities. Short races have their place as do long races such as Seefingan.

On the subject of Seefingan, i think it may be a little too long for a wednesday evening race. Last runner isnt in till after 9:30. I think i was the one who brought it in during my stint as Event director. I just miss Corrig now....
    Also I enjoy running running familiar routes for comparison purposes, though weather and underfoot conditions can make comparisons folly.

Comparisons are tricky time wise but you can compare how you paced it, whether you eliminated errors, did tricky descents better etc etc. All great fun and good feedback. Forces you to remember previous races as preparing for a current race which is great too.

Wont be doing Glasnamullan. Wondering if the route could be improved by having a descent directly down over grass and heather from the summit back to the path. Not sure if erosion would be a factor as there is no apparent path to erode further.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,501 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Worth mentioning Paul Tierney (Pablo_t), who at this moment, is attempting the Bob Graham Round, a grueling challenge, involving 42 peaks, 28,500 feet of climb, over 74 miles. Regular updates available on twitter. Latest update: Just left for leg three looking strong and running amazingly well. Bang on schedule.

Amazing stuff Pablo_t! Keep it up!

• Advertisement

Worth mentioning Paul Tierney (Pablo_t), who at this moment, is attempting the Bob Graham Round, a grueling challenge, involving 42 peaks, 28,500 feet of climb, over 74 miles. Regular updates available on twitter. Latest update: Just left for leg three looking strong and running amazingly well. Bang on schedule.

Amazing stuff Pablo_t! Keep it up!

Thanks Krusty. Just looked at site. 5 legs.

Map here

Schedules here

Anyone know what his target is??

T runner wrote: »
    Anyone know what his target is??
    17.5 hours, I believe. I understand he started at 2am this morning, with a tough wet/boggy leg, so if my maths (excel) serves me correctly, he should be finishing up at around 7:30pm, all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

He's going very well by all accounts. The tougher the conditions the better for him I think, he thrives on it.

I'm finding it very hard to focus on anything today without checking his progress every 15 minutes and it was the 1st thing I did when I woke up. Like everything he does he's put serious work into this and deserves to be rewarded with a savage time.

Nailing this will be great for his confidence going into a summer of big races. Although the last thing these Cork boys need is more reason to be confident! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

jeffontour wrote: »
    He's going very well by all accounts. The tougher the conditions the better for him I think, he thrives on it.

I'm finding it very hard to focus on anything today without checking his progress every 15 minutes and it was the 1st thing I did when I woke up. Like everything he does he's put serious work into this and deserves to be rewarded with a savage time.

Nailing this will be great for his confidence going into a summer of big races. Although the last thing these Cork boys need is more reason to be confident! :rolleyes:

Good book on the Bob Graham and other things Fell/Mountain running is
    Feet in the Clouds, which I'm sure has been mentioned here before.

Savage running to complete the Bob Graham round from reading the book..

Folks,

Quick question. Has anyone got a GPS trace of the Powerscourt Uphill route? Hoping to do a reccie on this to see if we need an early start but totally unfamiliar with the route.

Cheers...

• Advertisement

Folks,

Quick question. Has anyone got a GPS trace of the Powerscourt Uphill route? Hoping to do a reccie on this to see if we need an early start but totally unfamiliar with the route.

Cheers...

Hi Paul. You can look at the event map on site. Also look at previous results for times of people around your standard and times around your normal percentage of winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Folks,

Cheers...

Most of the IMRA garmin profiles are here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055603562&page=11 courtesy of slogger jogger and others.

Here's Powerscourt: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86519751

Looks like he is done, 17:59. Awesome stuff, but then we've come to expect it from him. :)

Looks like he is done, 17:59. Awesome stuff, but then we've come to expect it from him. :)
    That... is... Phenomenal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Awesome time- to complete this in the 24 hours would be spectacular enough, but under 18!:eek:

Well done Paul, great running!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Unreal. Absolutely spectacular. He must be made of iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Due to some injuries and clashes Sli Cualann are in need of a leg 7 runner.
    If anyone is available you can PM me.

Thanks Dom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Summer weather hopefully arriving this week in time for relay next Saturday. I reckon my team has changed every week since before the registration started so hopefully it'll stay together for the last 6 days. Wish I could run myself but a team organiser is the nearest thing I'd get to doing that. Good luck to all taking part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

SJ, you've put a great team together and I'm delighted to be a part of it.

I'd say by end of day you'll be more wrecked than if you'd actually run it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Taking someone on a leg 5 recce tomorrow at 5 from Glendalough if anyone wants to tag along.

Really nice video of the Transvulcania race two weeks ago. Definitely one for the bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Really nice video of the Transvulcania race two weeks ago. Definitely one for the bucket list.

That's the bucket to vomit into after doing 83 k and the equivalent ascent of Djouce from sea level over 11 and a half times I assume!? :eek:

Savagery!

(Normally of course IMRA likes to stretch its mandatory 11 ascents of Djouce over a full season... :rolleyes: )

Gotta love that these races are out there though!

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Ar Strae wrote: »
    That's the bucket to vomit into after doing 83 k and the equivalent ascent of Djouce from sea level over 11 and a half times I assume!? :eek:

Savagery!

(Normally of course IMRA likes to stretch its mandatory 11 ascents of Djouce over a full season... :rolleyes: )

Gotta love that these races are out there though!

Ro

Killian Jornet finishes third in this and then goes out a week later and wins a mountain marathon in the Basque country. Frightening. The guy is a machine.

So last night’s race was fantastic. Incredible weather, stunning vistas, and a rollicking edge-of-your shorts descent. Brilliant stuff. The view going up Djouce was beautiful, pity we didn’t get a chance to stop at the top.

I reached the top with a few rivals from previous weeks which made for a fast and furious descent. Great craic was had, Wicklow Hospice got some much need funds from donations for car parking and I got a nice tan to boot. All of which made for a feel good Wednesday.

It was a great evening for racing and the descent was brilliant. The less said about the climb the better.

I really find it hard to relax after racing that late. I skipped the pub last night to get as much rest as possible but I was still asleep late and awake earlier than usual. Boo to adrenaline!

Nice result Jeffontour. All those miles to and from work seem to be paying off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I really find it hard to relax after racing that late.

+1

It usually takes me a few hours to get to sleep on Wednesday nights! I tend wake up with nightmares of falling off the trail :eek:

Another great race. Found the uphill really tough (calf muscles on fire) and was very glad of that relatively flat part prior to the last pull up the hill.

Fair play to the summit Marshall for reminding people to lift their heads to take in the views. Had a quick look but was too tired at that stage to make any sense of the landscape!

Amazing descent. Took my first proper tumble half-way down but the heather provided me with a cushioned fall.

Was looking at Brokagh and it's graded as a 7! The profile looks quite frightening. Anyone done it before and how would it compare against Carrick, Three Rock or last night's race?

• Advertisement

Nice result Jeffontour. All those miles to and from work seem to be paying off!
    Cheers, but a few behind me have raced a lot recently and I was relatively fresh, so will not take too much from it.

It was such a great evening for it. Only downer was the parking field was in the shade!

Advertisement