Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do athiests commit suicide at such a high rate compared to religous people

Options
  • 30-12-2011 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

If you guys are so happy in yourselves why is this an established fact

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

cite or stfu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

We're not afraid of eternal damnation????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Link??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

And your evidence for this is? Also - being an atheist doesn't make someone happy or sad. A stable job, family, good living conditions, friends... these make people happy. It's irrelevant if the person is religious or atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

And seriously, what is it with the stupid questions on here as of late?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Did you really think we'd just take you're word for it like that? Athiesm... we tend to ask questions and generally like "established facts" to be substantiated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

its post history is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Why I people who follow a religion murder more, BTW I can back up my claim,

Regarding homicide rates, Oablo Fajnzylber et al., in a study reported in the Journal of Law and Economics (2002), looked at thirty-eight non-African nations and found that the ten with the highest homicide rates were highly religious, with minimal or statistically insignificant levels of organic atheism. Conversely, of the ten nations with the lowest homicide rates, all but Ireland were secular nations with high levels of atheism. James Fox and Jack Levin, in The Will to Kill, looked at thirty-seven non-African nations and found that, of the ten nations with the highest homicide rates, all but Estonia and Taiwan were highly religious, with statistically insignificant levels of organic atheism. Conversely, of the ten nations with the lowest homicide rates, all but Ireland and Kuwait were relatively secular nations, with high levels of organic atheism.

From here http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?section=library&page=pzuckerman_26_5 which also deals with many other issues including suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Taking your premise on nothing but ahem good faith I'd say it's because the world is full of religious fundamentalist dimwits who do their utmost to make planet earth an intolerant hell hole for just about everyone else religious or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I almost..... and I really mean almost.... I mean I had the post written and did not submit it....... made a post on the "Is Darwinism the religion of atheists?" thread but I thought better of it....

but now after reading THIS thread OP I will not think twice.

The post I was going to write on ""Is Darwinism the religion of atheists?"" thread was:

Are you trying to prove the "Trolling Tide Turning? God-people trolling" thread right or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

maybe religion missed its mark. maybe atheists were honest enough to question lies...lao tse and jesus said their messages would be misunderstood.

maybe in the struggle for honesty, religion crushed them with their heaping of guilt and shame for daring to question what to them seemed impossible standards to live up to...and impossible to escape from because of early induction.

religion needs to ask this question of itself...because you are the guys of forgiveness,peace understanding and love....

now go understand what part u play in this ...and provide an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

Jernal wrote: »
    Taking your premise on nothing but ahem good faith I'd say it's because the world is full of religious fundamentalist dimwits who do their utmost to make planet earth an intolerant hell hole for just about everyone else religious or not.

the American journal of Psychiatry
    Wikipedia
    mentalhelp.net
    psychiatryonline.org

the American journal of Psychiatry
    Wikipedia
    mentalhelp.net
    psychiatryonline.org

You don't really get this citation thing do you. You see you are making the statement, so you put up the evidence. You don't ask other posters to do your research for you. See my post above, it is really simple, you quote a bit to set up your argument, then you link to the article. As a certain insurance web site would say "simples".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

So you should believe in any god to decrease your chances of self-termination?

We have a huge chart of entities to choose from, but you must pick at least one!

You don't really get this citation thing do you. You see you are making the statement, so you put up the evidence. You don't ask other posters to do your research for you. See my post above, it is really simple, you quote a bit to set up your argument, then you link to the article. As a certain insurance web site would say "simples".

Dont shoot the messenger if Im wrong which is extremely doubtful so be it but why not face the realities

faith passeralie is an easy thing. we could take comfort in roman or greek gods .

questioning is not so easy.

ur o.p. is lazy and ignorant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

simple. suicide is a mortal sin. atheists don't face damnation for committing suicide, so it's easier for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ok

i've known 4 people who killed themselves
    all were not recorded as suicide so they could be buried in hallowed ground.

there is a culture of pretending that the many many road deaths that happen at late o'clock in the morning where lads crash into walls at the end of
    straight roads are accidents to save face and get them into heaven.

while the idea you can "game" the rules of god appeals to me i don't believe that accurate figures are avaliable for the op's premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

, so it's easier for them.

Wow, just wow.

It's not easy for anyone, even the person doing it. When a person gets into that state of mind, I'm fairly sure religious beliefs, if they hold any, don't feature much in their following actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You never really see an Athiest strapping a load of semtex to his chest and blowing up a square of bystanders though, do you?

• Advertisement

Dont shoot the messenger if Im wrong which is extremely doubtful so be it but why not face the realities

When did I shoot the messenger, in fact according to you I'm more likely to shoot myself. I would gladly face the realities, if you showed me some.

For example if you used the following article http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/Mobile/article.aspx?Volume=161&page=2303&journalID=13

I would reply that the above article is flawed in many areas,1 it's a study of sucide attempts, the number of persons in the study is too small, 3 the geographic spread is too small. I could go on. So again I will ask you to put forward some evidence to back up your claim.

It's easy to make claims without evidence, I claim that parish priests are more likely to molest children than coal miners.

apologise and close thread o.p.

u will get respect for it.

the dear leader of north korea had a show of faith and respect this week.

maybe "atheists" despair at such images.

maybe some north koreans keep themselves going on such faith.

maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

maybe suicide victims are not fair game.some have been mentally or physically abused by religion.

maybe they declared themselves athiest before they went....and left religion of the hook.

When did I shoot the messenger, in fact according to you I'm more likely to shoot myself. I would gladly face the realities, if you showed me some.

For example if you used the following article http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/Mobile/article.aspx?Volume=161&page=2303&journalID=13

I would reply that the above article is flawed in many areas,1 it's a study of sucide attempts, the number of persons in the study is too small, 3 the geographic spread is too small. I could go on. So again I will ask you to put forward some evidence to back up your claim.

It's easy to make claims without evidence, I claim that parish priests are more likely to molest children than coal miners.

I have shown you four links and its also well known that so called secular countries have a much higher suicide rate.
    As for parish priests and coal miners I dont think there were so many kids allowed down the mines so its an unfair opportunities comparison isnt it

I have shown you four links and its also well known that so called secular countries have a much higher suicide rate.
    As for parish priests and coal miners I dont think there were so many kids allowed down the mines so its an unfair opportunities comparison isnt it

At this I would contend that so called secular countries have better means of monitoring and reporting suicide. But, I really think you missed Will's point about the kids in the mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

18AD wrote: »
    So you should believe in any god to decrease your chances of self-termination?

Not so sure here...... after all the main "big 10" commandments from some of the religions are about "false gods".

Theres that whole commandment about "no false gods before me" and all that :)

Which makes me think that if god exists he is MORE and i mean MORE worried about you worshipping the WRONG god that no god at all.

So just by a cursory reading of the 10 commandments its safer to be an atheist than a theist of the wrong religion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I have shown you four links

You have not.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

No you have named four sources, each of which contains vast amounts of resources on myriad topics. Which precise bits of information are you talking about ? We'll never find them if you don't point them out.

What secular countries (I can't think of any such country)? Well known by whom ? Please provide links to back this up too.

You have given the web address to 4 web sites, one of which is Wikipedia, enough said there. I have asked you to link yo specific articles, so that I and others can see is what you are saying correct. If it is then so be it we can discuss why. If on the other hand after rigorous debate your statement is proved to be incorrect then so be it.

According to many of the worlds great thinkers the world was flat, and was the centre of the universe. But after debate we discovered religion got that one wrong. So put up or shut up.

According to many of the worlds great thinkers the world was flat, and was the centre of the universe. But after debate we discovered religion got that one wrong. So put up or shut up.

NO IT DIDN'T!!

• Advertisement

whats ur religion pass'...the one without an ounce of understanding or compassion...

just let us know so that we can avoid it...

some folks here are trying to move on from point scoring over tragedies of human suffering.

Advertisement