Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you're middle class?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

What on Earth is middle class?

I think you should have at least defined your understanding of middle class OP, since there are so many interpretations of 'the middle class'.

And secondly, is there any particular reason why someone ought to be interested in belonging to any particular class, or interested in the 'social class' of another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

So I suppose yes, I'm middle class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

marymoo81 wrote: »
    In these times, what is middle class? Someone from the Southside, broke, someone from the Northside, hols, new cars? Busy carpenter versus out of work insurance broker? This recession is a great equlaiser :D

'do you think your middle class?'

who sets the standards you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

later10 wrote: »

This is what google thinks

http://www.newmiddleclass.com/images/couple1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 marymoo81

later10 wrote: »

I think you should have at least defined your understanding of middle class OP, since there are so many interpretations of 'the middle class'.

And secondly, is there any particular reason why someone ought to be interested in belonging to any particular class, or interested in the 'social class' of another?

In a Pc world, no one would belong to a class.

However, in this day and age, and the society we live in, class is very quickly decided upon.

• Advertisement

paky wrote: »
    'do you think your middle class?'

who sets the standards you?

It's you're

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

no.

It's you're

its middle-class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

As long as you have your health that is the main thing all this about putting people into boxes, thats what has the world the way it is today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

It's you're

you also missed this ','

However, in this day and age, and the society we live in, class is very quickly decided upon.

true. there is the scumbag class and everyone else in between

patwicklow wrote: »
    As long as you have your health that is the main thing all this about putting people into boxes, thats what has the world the way it is today.

spot on.

Does the pressure of social acceptance ruin some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Ireland is a Republic, no class system. Do you go to work ?

Then you are working class.

To be honest I used to get wound up when I heard the phrase but now it means nothing. Should be "middle income", but if you have a 200,000 bill to pay then you are "low income".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A bit of a mix of middle and upper. My father's people were the definition of high society while my mothers were gentlemen farmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

bluewolf, I'd say you most deffo are....:)

nice girl

Hmmmmm just joined and call Bluewolf a girl...interesting. Took me months to figure that one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Do you think you're middle class?
    When you can show me two people who can agree on a definition of what the terms middle class and working class mean in the 21st century I wlll tell you which I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

spot on.

WTF are you asking for so?

chucken1 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm just joined and call Bluewolf a girl...interesting. Took me months to figure that one out.

i was suspicious too

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I wasnt suspicious but Id like to appear really clever if at all possible. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

chucken1 wrote: »

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

.....I say!

*Monocle drops into Sherry*

A sherry glass has too narrow a rim for a monocle to fall in. If you were really middle-class you'd know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

;)

A-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats all the evidence I need to go jumping to conclusions!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Undertakers put people in boxes all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'm omniclass, all things to all men and women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

TheUsual wrote: »
    Ireland is a Republic, no class system. Do you go to work ?

Then you are working class.

To be honest I used to get wound up when I heard the phrase but now it means nothing. Should be "middle income", but if you have a 200,000 bill to pay then you are "low income".
    You actually believe that?

BBDBB wrote: »
    A-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats all the evidence I need to go jumping to conclusions!

oh, well done

sherlock holmes is ****ting his pants

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    When you can show me two people who can agree on a definition of what the terms middle class and working class mean in the 21st century I wlll tell you which I am.

****, can't believe I am agreeing with Mike 1972 ...

the Mayan's were right .. tis the end of days !!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

oh, well done

sherlock holmes is ****ting his pants

He's not real, and if he were, he would have died a long long time ago.

• Advertisement

Namlub wrote: »
    You actually believe that?

I don't believe it, I just see it.

If you want to debate on a low-income and middle-income and high-income salary, then we have no argument.

Advertisement