Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Refuse to believe that the NWA film will not be amazing.

second trailer.

Hyped. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gadzooks put together a little personal favourite list of the best new rappers in the last 10 years. Great read.

http://blackcoffeechronicles.com/2015/04/13/my-favorite-rappers-of-the-last-decade/

If you are wondering who Gadzooks is, he has the gem of a track in his discog.

I dont recall hearing #5 on the list before, so I got someone new to look up.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

You know what. I just tried to put together a list of my top artists for the past decade (new artists only) and realised it's really hard. So in hindsight the list the guy put together is as good as any. I actually might have a go as well, this is fun but made me realise that such a list is always completely subjective. Maybe we haven't had any true legends (or very few) so far in the last ten years, or maybe time is needed to make sure rappers are legends and albums are classic. I can make much better lists if allowed to include older acts.

so..in no order, and i'll probably think of 10 more later:

1. Future
    2. Kevin Gates
    3. Kendrick Lamar
    4. Danny Brown
    5. Bronson
    6. Big Krit
    7. ASAP Rocky
    8. Freddie Gibbs
    9. Gucci Mane
    10. Chance the Rapper ( I know he only has 2 mixtapes, but right now the new Social Experiment song is completely stuck in my head, and honestly, he is one of my faves of the last few years. So, yeah, up the list he goes)

woah...I just realised, i dont' really like the new artists as much as older ones. None of these would probably make my top 10 DOA...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Lupe, Cole, Ab-Soul, Schoolboy , Jay Rock, Childish.

Kendrick, Danny, Chance, Bronson, vic mensa.

Also then old(er) acts coming back / teaming up for example slaughterhouse, Prhyme, RTJ etc.

Isaiah and Joey B need another project or two but sound great so far. Big Sean, Krit and Cozz have released music I like but I haven't been drawn to buy or re-listen. Tink and to a lesser extent Chris Rivers could have something very good to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

nice interview with dre, its being a while, talks pretty much everything including the NWA movie.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Refuse to believe that the NWA film will not be amazing.

second trailer.

Hyped. :D

:D:D:D

When's the release date!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

In terms of guys from the 2000's you're missing ATG's like J-Live, One Be Lo, Phonte, Mr Lif, Qwel, Wordsworth. Guys like Future, Gucci, Bronson, ASAP aren't fit to lace their shoes. In J-Live, One Be Lo and Qwel, you'd find them in a lot of top 20 MC's of all time lists...they're #1 and #3 on mine personally.

The nwa movie, jurrasic park, star wars and now batman v superman !, its looking a good year for film fans.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In terms of guys from the 2000's you're missing ATG's like J-Live, One Be Lo, Phonte, Mr Lif, Qwel, Wordsworth. Guys like Future, Gucci, Bronson, ASAP aren't fit to lace their shoes. In J-Live, One Be Lo and Qwel, you'd find them in a lot of top 20 MC's of all time lists...they're #1 and #3 on mine personally.

Qwel is my favourite at the moment. Has quite a big discog as well to get through

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Qwel is my favourite at the moment. Has quite a big discog as well to get through

Probably the most talented white MC off all time. I remember I spent the best part of a whole week listening to Qwel and nothing else to get through his collection. Fantastic discography

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I only accepted people from 2005 onwards. ( last 10 years) Qwel, One Be Lo cant be included. And even though I dont think Bronson one of the best rappers ever i love his tapes/albums. (same goes with the other people on this list.So he is going into my list of favourites (of 2005-2015 new acts)

Jezek wrote: »
    I only accepted people from 2005 onwards. ( last 10 years) Qwel, One Be Lo cant be included. And even though I dont think Bronson one of the best rappers ever i love his tapes/albums. (same goes with the other people on this list.So he is going into my list of favourites (of 2005-2015 new acts)

Ah my mistake good sir. Roc Marciano, Blu, Fashawn, Shad, Homeboy Sandman, Black Milk, Skyzoo and Curren$y are all top top MC's of the last ten years, certainly above Gucci, Future, ASAP, Kevin Gates. Never ever got into Bronson, I think he's a very very average rapper who has a half decent verse every now and again but his tapes/albums are full of filler

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Not sure if people are onto this yet but Ed lovers got a new show with some great interviews

This MC Serch one is a good place to start, telling the story of the time Hammer put a hit out on them.

that's f*cking mental. A new meaning to 'please hammer don't hurt 'em'

that's f*cking mental. A new meaning to 'please hammer don't hurt 'em'

It's a great story alright and well told. The Eric Sermon one is another good watch.

tossy wrote: »
    It's a great story alright and well told. The Eric Sermon one is another good watch.
    just watched it....i have no idea what E is saying most of the time though. But he sure does like talking about money.

Have the Kool Keith & Prince Paul one queued up next.

just watched it....i have no idea what E is saying most of the time though. But he sure does like talking about money.

Have the Kool Keith & Prince Paul one queued up next.

I haven't watched them, i'm sure the Kool Keith one will be interesting.

Another potentially great movie, if it lives up to the hype is Southpaw which see's eminem as an executive producer. Paul Rosenberg has set the bar high in saying he thinks they've assembled one of the finest boxing films ever made. The fighter featuring Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale is imo the best modern day boxing film released, hopefully this follows suit.

A hip hop heavy soundtrack is also something to look forward too.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/news/id.33955/title.eminem-releasing-new-music-on-southpaw-soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Looking for some advice;

In your guys opinion the two best Too Short albums?

Doing some research and most say get Born to Mack but there's a massive discography so I'm just looking for a second opinion.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Cocktails & Short Dog's In The House would be my 2 favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ilai123

Varkov wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can help me out finding a track? Sounded fairly modern with a bit of a west coast vibe.

Only lyrics I can remember are along the lines of :
    "Have to explain to my twins why mommy and daddy don't live together" and "my little boy saying when he grows up he want's to be just like me"

"What if my twins ask why I ain't marry their mom? Damn, how do I respond?
    What if my son stares with a face like my own and says he wants to be like me when he's grown? s**t but I ain't finished growing."

I think this is the song you're thinking of, it's "Coming Home" by Diddy ft. Skylar Grey. Hope this helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

L'Orange has put his first album available for free for a limited period.
    Highly recommend this.

http://lorangeproductions.com/album/the-mad-writer-2

Been listening to some Too Short Albums of late.

Fav tracks include:

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

My favorite, love the Bootsy Collins sample

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

what did everything think of the beef between meek mil and drake?

It was the softest sh*t I've ever come accross.
    They hardly even dissed each other in their tracks. I grew up in an era where people actually went for the jugular in diss tracks. Not tippy toeing around each other with 'subliminals'.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

more beef in a big mac

• Advertisement

This looks like it's going to be amazing.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/stretchandbobbito/140348043

Advertisement