Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Correctness

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 abbba

As Michael Jackson always said "It don't matter if you're black or white"

michaeljacksonmichaeljad.jpg

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Not so sure about that. None of my black friends, either here, in the UK, or in America call each other "nigga".

Occasionally one of them calls me "nigga" but only because i made him watch The Commitments and he fell in love with the concept of the Irish being the blacks of Europe.

I lived in NY for several years, the majority of black people called each other nigga both in Manhattan and in Brooklyn in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Stories about Christmas being banned because of potential offence to any one ethnic group have become almost as much a part of the festive season as brussels sprouts – but a multi-faith group has decided it is time to put a stop to the tradition.
    Concerned about the divisive effect of such stories, the Phoenix inter-community initiative, a group of bloggers, activists and community representatives, have come together to try to demonstrate support and respect for Christmas among different faiths.
    Julie Siddiqui, vice-president of the Islamic Society of Britain (ISB), said: "Almost every year for the last few years we see some sort of story in the local or national papers that local authorities have changed the name of Christmas, are not having lights, or have banned it. I think it's damaging in terms of community relations. No one is asking for Christmas to be banned, Muslims certainly haven't. The inference is often that it's coming from Muslims."
    One of the most notorious examples of scare stories was the widely reported claim that Birmingham city council had banned Christmas, replacing it with Winterval to avoid offending non-Christians, even though it was untrue.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/24/christianity-religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Dublin Business School have notices up saying 'Happy end of year festivities'. Full of students with 200 points in the leaving cert so that might explain it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I lived in NY for several years, the majority of black people called each other nigga both in Manhattan and in Brooklyn in particular.

So the majority of the approx 750,000 black people in Brooklyn call each other nigga?

That must be very confusing for black people who live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

migozarad wrote: »
    Do you have any pride in yourself or have your balls not dropped?Any English cnut calling you a Paddy is the equivalent of referring to a black person as ******,you must "learn" them ala McAndrew in "In theName of The Father"
    paddy is not a racist term as irish isnt a race.

due to people using it under various conditions and meaning;it can be a shortened nickname,attempt at abuse or nationality slur,and when used as a symbol of hatred or superiority towards the person it woud be considered xenephobic.

real hatred towards anyone for any particular part of them shoud be treated equaly as it can totaly destroy people whether it is legaly protected against or not,especialy when carried out long term.

anyone who is different to the majority groups will often be feared, hated,pre judged,abused,bullied etc as different is seen as a weakness by the pack mentality masses.
    in own view,abuse that had once represented a history of brutal treatment shoud not be treated as affecting people more accutely than other forms.

society is very mind washed over PC,even of the groups that are protected under minority laws-one is seen as 'worse' than another-some are freely ignored, for example-look how people on boards will censor themselves with words on minority races but will use the word retard/retarded often to define someone non disabled doing stupid actions which will find people with intelectual disability never do.
    when used in an abusive way long term,this has ended in the suicide of a number of people with intelectual,developmental and learning disabled people-along with parents of some of them,with police not taking it seriously enough.

hatred is hatred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

So the majority of the approx 750,000 black people in Brooklyn call each other nigga?

That must be very confusing for black people who live there.

That chap lived there Chuck - did you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

apaynea wrote: »
    Example: Alan Hansen has today apologised for calling black people "coloured". Is that really so bad? on what can and cannot be said.

It seems like the PC Brigade lunatics just can't make their minds up.

They used to tell us that calling black people black may be "offensive" to black people. This meant that the PC Brigade offended black people for making it seem as though black people don't like to be told the truth regarding the colour of their skin. The PC Brigade told us to use "coloured" insread of "black."

Now the PC Brigade are up in arms because somebody used the word "coloured." How are we supposed to know what we are supposed to say when the PC Brigade can't even settle on a word that they want to force us to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

apaynea wrote: »
    Or to call someone a poofter or fag is accepted but to call someone a negro or paddy is not. Surely there is something wrong there? What would happen if an Irish player playing in the EPL claimed he was racially abused by being called a "Paddy". Its would be laughed off and nothing would ever come of it I am sure.
    I don't think an Irish player would be that petty as to make a complaint.
    You just have to look at the person involved (evra) he has a form in this regard.
    If I was getting paid the amount of money he is you could call me whatever you wanted to....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The drop in teaching standards in our schools is related to the fall in the number of male teachers. No-one can say this due to pc!

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote: »
    That chap lived there Chuck - did you?

Nope. But I have a good understanding of the phenomenon of Confirmation Bias.

We're all subject to confirmation bias - some more than others.

I would recommend you try to develop a good understanding of confirmation bias too because it will keep you on your toes and save you form wasting your time posting reams of nonsense in threads like this.

Edit: I'm not sure if you're into hip-hop and rap but that rapper you quoted, Kanye West, is an overrated self-absorbed prick with mediocre music.

You should check out a bit of Dr. Dre. Way better.

Happy Christmas to you Sir.

Nope. But I have a good understanding of the phenomenon of Confirmation Bias.

We're all subject to confirmation bias - some more than others.

I would recommend you try to develop a good understanding of confirmation bias too because it will keep you on your toes and save you form wasting your time posting reams of nonsense in threads like this.

Edit: I'm not sure if you're into hip-hop and rap but that rapper you quoted, Kanye West, is an overrated self-absorbed prick with mediocre music.

You should check out a bit of Dr. Dre. Way better.

Happy Christmas to you Sir.

Ah, Wikipedia - the source of all that is truthful!:D:D Reams of nonsense indeed. Good choice Chuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ah, Wikipedia - the source of all that is truthful!:D:D Reams of nonsense indeed. Good choice Chuck!
    Says the man that is pretty much guaranteed to link to a Daily Mail story in every thread and has a bible quote as his sig.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Wikipedia as a starting point when you're looking to learn about something. I suggest you try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

And this is coming from someone who earnestly posted a link to the one of the Daily ****ing Mail's "OMG politakal correctnuss gone mad" made-up filler stories as if it was the Gospel Truth. At least the Wiki article looks looks well sourced.

Anyway, here are 359,000 articles from Google Scholar on the subject. You can have at look on PubMed Central as well if you're genuinely interested. Perhaps it should go some way towards convincing you that it's a real, well-documented phenomenon rather than something someone on the internet made up to win an argument.

So you're saying theres no such thing as "confirmation bias"....?

Nodin wrote: »

Ha ha! the reinforcements arrive. Howya doin' nod?

Happy Christmas.:D

Freddie.

Ha ha! the reinforcements arrive. Howya doin' nod?

Happy Christmas.:D

Freddie.

I see the usual evasion, baiting and nonsense continue.

Are you saying there is no such thing as "confirmation bias"?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Says the man that is pretty much guaranteed to link to a Daily Mail story in every thread and has a bible quote as his sig.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Wikipedia as a starting point when you're looking to learn about something. I suggest you try it.

Of course there isn't.........:D So you're saying that ALL Daily Mail articles (a minority of links which I post) are untrue? Bit of a "sweeping generalisation" there my friend......;)

Pace2008 wrote: »
    And this is coming from someone who earnestly posted a link to the one of the Daily ****ing Mail's "OMG politakal correctnuss gone mad" made-up filler stories as if it was the Gospel Truth. At least the Wiki article looks looks well sourced.

Anyway, here are 359,000 articles from Google Scholar on the subject. You can have at look on PubMed Central as well if you're genuinely interested. Perhaps it should go some way towards convincing you that it's a real, well-documented phenomenon rather than something someone on the internet made up to win an argument.

"Phenomenon". Ah ya gotta love it though!:D

Nodin wrote: »
    Well he hasn't heard of it so... Wait a minute, I think I've just given a perfect example of it.
    Of course there isn't.........:D So you're saying that ALL Daily Mail articles (a minority of links which I post) are untrue? Bit of a "sweeping generalisation" there my friend......;)
    Same could be said of your post about linking to Wikipedia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

No, but it published exaggerated, misleading or outright fabricated stories on a near-daily basis. Check out [/url=http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/]Tabloid Watch[/url], they regularly show up the garbage the Daily Mail the rest of the gutter press churn out.
    "Phenomenon". Ah ya gotta love it though!biggrin.gif
    What word do you think would have been more suitable? "Thingy?"

And for those of you who treat the Daily Mail with disdain, I presume you have no problem with a reputable source such as the Beeb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4782856.stm

And for even MORE PC lunacy:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/racist-baa-baa-black-sheep-put-out-to-pasture/story-e6frfku0-1226012652386

Yet, as usual, you stirling members of that brigade will deny any of this exists or happens. Nice attempt at censorship really.:)

And for those of you who treat the Daily Mail with disdain, I presume you have no problem with a reputable source such as the Beeb:

And for even MORE PC lunacy:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/racist-baa-baa-black-sheep-put-out-to-pasture/story-e6frfku0-1226012652386

Yet, as usual, you stirling members of that brigade will deny any of this exists or happens. Nice attempt at censorship really.:)

All of that bollocks was explained or discounted back here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76153586&postcount=94
    If your confirmation bias wasn't so active, you might have been able to see the post.

From that link:
    But the charity running the nurseries, Parents and Children Together (Pact), said the move was educational, not motivated by racial concerns.

Pact said children were encouraged to use a wide range of words in songs.

"Pact has established that children sing a variety of descriptive words in the nursery rhyme to turn the song into an action rhyme," the charity said in a statement.
    "They sing happy, sad, bouncing, hopping, pink, blue, black and white sheep etc and they also exchange boy and girl at the end of the rhyme.
    "This encourages the children to extend their vocabulary and use up some energy."

Do you ever read further than the headlines?

You know there are little clickable links embedded in Wikipedia articles that you can click on to get the original source?

Regardless, I reckon you're getting some sort of satisfaction out of this that other people aren't. Maybe you're feeding on the frustration of others or something?

Fuck it.

I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

My neighbour wished me and my family a happy xmas today and I mentioned that it looks like it won`t be a White Xmas this year..I could see the awkwardness on his face..hesitation...then the tension broke and we All just spontaneously really laughed :D

happy xmas to you conlan and family the best of neighbours :)

You know there are little clickable links embedded in Wikipedia articles that you can click on to get the original source?

Regardless, I reckon you're getting some sort of satisfaction out of this that other people aren't. Maybe you're feeding on the frustration of others or something?

Fuck it.

I'm out.

In fairness Chuck, you and the PC buddies above are never happy. You want to wish everyone else's opinions and proven facts away. But it's the sort of behaviour that has become the hallmark of the PC brigade. Hands over the ears, shouting "la la la I'm not listening".

But it doesn't change anything. Fortunately.:)

In fairness Chuck, you and the PC buddies above are never happy. You want to wish everyone else's opinions and proven facts away. But it's the sort of behaviour that has become the hallmark of the PC brigade. Hands over the ears, shouting "la la la I'm not listening".

But it doesn't change anything. Fortunately.:)

Taunting, crowing, cliched stereotypes. Good to see you're in the festive spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

But it's the sort of behaviour that has become the hallmark of the PC brigade.

There's no such thing.

The term only exists because people can't be arsed actually making points so attack a nonexistent group or umbrella term that doesn't actually represent anyone's position.

• Advertisement

Seachmall wrote: »
    There's no such thing.

The term only exists because people can't be arsed actually making points so attack a nonexistent group or umbrella term that doesn't actually represent anyone's position.

Of course there is. They themselves refuse to recognise their own existence!:D

Advertisement