Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Correctness

Options
  • 23-12-2011 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

There have been a few cases in the news lately regarding players making racist remarks and getting cautioned and even prosecuted because of it. Do people here think that we have gone a bit overboard in regards to what you can and cannot say?? Example: Alan Hansen has today apologised for calling black people "coloured". Is that really so bad? Personally if someone called me a "Paddy" I wouldn't feel offended but I guess thats racist as well?? What if someone has a big nose and you call him "Big Nose" I guess thats racist as well?

This may not be applicable to this forum due to the football content and if so please move it. But I would just like to get peoples general feelings on what can and cannot be said. It seems to me that this is way OTT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

what if a brit called ya a paddy .as for calling someone big nose because they have a big nose has nothing to do with race its just being a dickhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

pokertalk wrote: »
    what if a brit called ya a paddy

Meh couldnt give a shyte personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

seanybiker wrote: »
    Meh couldnt give a shyte personally.

prunes can help with that.stick to the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 10 apaynea

pokertalk wrote: »
    what if a brit called ya a paddy .as for calling someone big nose because they have a big nose has nothing to do with race its just being a dickhead

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it and am sure it happens quite a lot. So if a Paddy call someone from US a Yank thats racist as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I don't think words like 'coloured' or 'half caste' are offensive. I dont use them but if I was talking to somebody and they said it then it wouldnt bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I don't think words like 'coloured' or 'half caste' are offensive. I dont use them but if I was talking to somebody and they said it then it wouldnt bother me.
    You rather people calling you orange though over been called coloured? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭bebostunnah

Do you think a war will occur between those on the dole and those who work?

seanybiker wrote: »
    You rather people calling you orange though over been called coloured? :)

Ha, a little unusal if someone called me coloured but not offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I think the whole Terry/Suarez thing is ridiculous. Has it even been proven they actually made racist statements?

On one hand I was thinking that it should be treated as any other slur against someone else. Even if he did say the N word, fine, use the same treatment as if it were something generic such as 'Bastard'.

The reality is, a person has a right to be racist. Putting a ban on them isnt going to change there minds about whatever they feel about black folk, hence not actually changing the issue of racism. I'd still have my reservations as to whether these two are actually any way racist or just plain provoking.
    I think there has to be a look at the stigma on the N word now. Do people truly say it in a 'Im more superior than you' sense any more or do they say merely because they are black, to just simply provoke?
    Also, freedom of speech. Thats a delicate one because to ban the use of ANY word is simply mind policing and government wielding far to much control. Once that has a hold in the heads of people it can grow like a seed and before we know it we have a wee authoritarian voice in our heads giving us the red light as whether we can say what we feel. Holocaust deniers will testify on that.

On the other hand, if racist comments are dismissed then it could escalate within the context of football bringing in a lot more crap than a footballer getting an 8 match ban. Its pretty embarrassing when a parts of a crowd start making monkey chants, who knows how far it would go if it were given a blind eye.

In short, I dunno.

guitarzero wrote: »
    I think the whole Terry/Suarez thing is ridiculous. Has it even been proven they actually made racist statements?

Suposedly he said the word "Negro", I am not sure if I am allowed to write that here but again I don't think there is such a big deal with that. I have lived in England and been called "Paddy" many times and it totally didn't bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I got a feeling about political correctness. I hate it. It causes us to lie silently instead of saying what we think.
    Hal Holbrook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

o.

An independant panel investigated the Suarez incident and made their recommendations to the FA.

The full report has not been released yet.

I;m not sure how cracking down on people making racist comments can be called political correctness to be honest.

apaynea wrote: »

Suposedly he said the word "Negro", I am not sure if I am allowed to write that here but again I don't think there is such a big deal with that. I have lived in England and been called "Paddy" many times and it totally didn't bother me.

Apparently Suarez said 'Negrito' which is spanish for 'little black fellah'. It almost sounds like an endearing term. I think it boils down to stigma. The stigma of paddy doesnt hold the same weight as the N word. I was wondering if the N word has the same stigma today as it once did considering society has changed so much.

If someone called me paddy I'd probably laugh, simply cuz the provoker must be fairly divorced from reality to think that me, or 99% of Irish are gonna get all roiled up over it.

I think if a black person is at ease in their skin then surely the N word would just roll off them. I think its how you identify with yourself, your skin colour and your heritage. Like, if an Irish lad felt inferior for being Irish and someone called him paddy then maybe he would react due to how much he identifies with aspects of being Irish, mostly negative aspects.

I;m not sure how cracking down on people making racist comments can be called political correctness to be honest.

The point I was trying to make was what we now consider to be racist remarks, in my mind to call someone "Negro" is not racist. Negro in Spanish and Portuguese means Black. So coming from someone that speaks that language is that considered racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

The point I was trying to make was what we now consider to be racist remarks, in my mind to call someone "Negro" is not racist. Negro in Spanish and Portuguese means Black. So coming from someone that speaks that language is that considered racist?

So referring to somebody solely by the colour of their skin in the midst of a football match cannot be considered racist?

The fact is at context is key. Referring to somebody in the manner that Suarez did does not look good considering the environment.

So referring to somebody solely by the colour of their skin in the midst of a football match cannot be considered racist?

The fact is at context is key. Referring to somebody in the manner that Suarez did does not look good considering the environment.

How is 'Negrito' - little black fellah or Negro racist?

So referring to somebody solely by the colour of their skin in the midst of a football match cannot be considered racist?.

Thats actually a good point! I agree that we should not generalise people but I just think that society is choosing which words we can and cannot say! So if another player calls someone a "B***rd"? Although its not racist it is still offending towards the person, probably more so than to insult their ethnicity! But thats accepted because its not racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

White people get cold their lips go blue
    White people turn brown in the sun
    White people turn red in too much sun
    White people go black and blue when hit hard

Yet black people are 'coloured'???

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Or to call someone a poofter or fag is accepted but to call someone a negro or paddy is not. Surely there is something wrong there? What would happen if an Irish player playing in the EPL claimed he was racially abused by being called a "Paddy". Its would be laughed off and nothing would ever come of it I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

It's getting so you can't call a spade a you know what any more. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Oranage2 wrote: »

Those words are offensive and they have been for a long time. As with most words it's down to the intent with which they are used.

I was called a half caste and a white nigger when I was only 11. It was only the once and by an ignorant, little yob of 15 who thought he was all that riding a chopper. I'm sorry now I didn't retaliate by calling him fatso.

It hurt at the time. It still stings. The fact that I can remember the incident perfectly after 40 years and I remember the look in that little bastard's eyes as he said it while he cycled nonchalantly by me means that to me it was definitely offensive. He wasn't shouting out sweet nothings in order to court me. :mad::mad:

Those words are offensive and they have been for a long time. As with most words it's down to the intent with which they are used.

I was called a half caste and a white nigger when I was only 11. It was only the once and by an ignorant, little yob of 15 who thought he was all that riding a chopper. I'm sorry now I didn't retaliate by calling him fatso.

It hurt at the time. It still stings. The fact that I can remember the incident perfectly after 40 years and I remember the look in that little bastard's eyes as he said it while he cycled nonchalantly by me means that to me it was definitely offensive. He wasn't shouting out sweet nothings in order to court me. :mad::mad:

Can I ask why you were so mad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Personally if someone called me a "Paddy" I wouldn't feel offended but I guess thats racist as well??

You'd be surprised, I was on the end of a racist rant from an African guy in the mid 90s, before we even had a lot of people immigrating here, he started calling me Paddy at the end of every sentence and it was offensive. Apparently we were the most racist people he had ever encountered, probably just as well if he went home before 1998 :/

Someone can call you a Paddy, messing about, and you know they are messing or mean no real harm by it, but when this guy did it, it was just a replacement phrase for 'Irish <unt' and the way he did it would have offended any Irish person, guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

It's interesting to me how suddenly everyone is an expert on the use of negro, negrito and negrita without having the sightest clue of the socio-political context of the origins or intent of the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Can I ask why you were so mad?

Because although at that time I actually didn't understand the names he flung at me never having been subject to any abuse verbal or otherwise. I knew the intent was mean, nasty and to hurt and coming from someone who who pretty much a stranger and whom I'd never had any interaction with he had no reason to be nasty to me.

I never told my parents because I knew they would be upset but would have no recourse. How I processed that I don't know, but it was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I would have no trouble with calling someone "coloured", but what would be the point? Aren't we all coloured? I'm a sort of pasty white with brown blotches, blue eyes, white hair, red neck ---:rolleyes:

I suppose the problem is that the only people who get called coloured are those of one particular shade, and it is usually meant to be disrespectful.:(

Showbiz people and professional footballers are amply rewarded for their work and it is not unreasonable to expect them to be a little careful with their language and reflect on the fact that, rightly or wrongly, they are seen as role models by some people.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

****, I love being white....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Snakeblood wrote: »
    It's getting so you can't call a spade a you know what any more. :mad:

Quite wrong. You can call a spade a spade, but preferably when you are talking about a garden tool or a suite of cards.:cool:

However, if you are using one of the many terms meant to denigrate and humiliate people with black skin, you are being a nasty cnut, deliberately insulting and offensive and, quite rightly, could be brought to book for it under our laws. :rolleyes:

I was once addressed as "Paddy" by a middle-aged Englishman I didn't know. This was in Sweden, with several Swedish people present. I looked around as though to see if there was anyone else beside or behind me that he was talking to and then said to him: "Sorry, my name isn't Paddy. My friends call me (first name), and you can call me Mr.
    ". Both he and his wife looked like they'd been bitch-slapped as several Swedes sniggered visibly.:eek:

I've been called half caste and it never bothered me - If I see a mixed race person I'd describe him/her as half or mixed. As what guitar zero was saying you are what you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

This should be shown to everyone in the world:

Advertisement