Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

that's why it was always such a nightmare to get through, all the local traffic plus the passing traffic was too much for the road to take.

Cars would be constantly joining and leaving the queue while driving through.

I still cheer to myself when driving past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tonytoc11

How has this progressed over the past few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭macker16

I will try and get a few pictures up:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Just wondering if anyone knew how they're going to "connect" the new bypass to the old road at the Tibohine/Frenchpark end? I heard somewhere that they were going to put a round-about there.

Any updates? It must be near completion?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    Any updates? It must be near completion?
    Not due till the end of the year but at this stage I'd expect the structures and earthworks to all be done.

They were completed months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

The last time I passed (April), the two ends of the bypass still had work left, as well as clearing the leftover dirt and the junction layout had to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

opened for xmas?

Opening for the august bank holiday weekend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

macker16 wrote: »
    Opening for the august bank holiday weekend

Great job. What do they think it will take off the journey to Dublin? 15 minutes?
    I'm looking at a job in Longford and wonder what sort of time it will take from Cbar to Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

yop wrote: »
    Great job. What do they think it will take off the journey to Dublin? 15 minutes?
    I'm looking at a job in Longford and wonder what sort of time it will take from Cbar to Longford.

At least...should be able to do that in an hour if your up bright and early :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Yep, opening bank holiday weekend.

You should do longford in a hour no problem.

It was possible to do castlebar to longford in an hour in the right conditions on the existing road,so i am told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Yep, opening bank holiday weekend.

You should do longford in a hour no problem.

It was possible to do castlebar to longford in an hour in the right conditions on the existing road,so i am told.

Right conditions must have meant it was Christmas day

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Even at 5.45am leaving Cbar when I was travelling to Dublin to work I wasn't able to get to Longford in an hour. It was closer to hour and 20 mins. :D

An hour to Longford would be great. Quicker than going from here to Galway and better roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Without Strokestown -- Frenchpark piece upgrade, it won't be easy (well, maybe if you leave C'bar at 2 am... :D ).

Well I will be travelling down it the weekend it opens, so hopefully will get a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Roscommon - Westport... after bypass will it be a better job to do it via N61-N5 rather than N60-N5?

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Well I will be travelling down it the weekend it opens, so hopefully will get a better idea.
    I'll be there as well. Want to film end-to-end travel in both directions. :)

Remember the days when it used to take 5/6 hours drive from Dublin to Castlebar?

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Remember the days when it used to take 5/6 hours drive from Dublin to Castlebar?

It used to be chaos, Edgeworthstown, Ballaghdereen, Charlestown, Swinford! Nightmare!
    Took me 7 hrs in Dec 2010 due to the weather! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Is there any word of a Strokestown or Frenchpark bypass? I think I worked it out to be a 1.2km road to bypass the former.

Endas working on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 flat 2 the.....

How come they are only bypassing towns and not making a new road from mayo to dublin like they did with the N6/N7/N8 and all the rest of the main national roads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

To be honest not enough people use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 flat 2 the.....

afatbollix wrote: »
    To be honest not enough people use it.

I worked on the ballah bypass and the amount of traffic was constent and the amount of hevy good being hauled would be as much as the m6 , is there not alot of industry in mayo

I worked on the ballah bypass and the amount of traffic was constent and the amount of hevy good being hauled would be as much as the m6 , is there not alot of industry in mayo

No it wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

How come they are only bypassing towns and not making a new road from mayo to dublin like they did with the N6/N7/N8 and all the rest of the main national roads

It's amazing the data that is collected these days. Here is the *actual* traffic volume per direction per day for this year:

N3 Between Virginia and Kells, Co. Cavan
    10,043 (7.5% HGV)

N4 Between Dublin Road and Granard Road Roundabouts, Longford Bypass
    10,357 (8.5% HGV)

N6 Between Jn11 Athlone (Centre) and Jn12 Roscommon
    30,629 (4.3% HGV)

M7 Between Jn16 Portlaoise (East) and Jn17 Portlaoise (Centre), Co. Laois
    24,313 (10.4% HGV)

The midpoint of the N4/N5 carries half the traffic of the N7 and only one third the traffic of the N6 at equivalent points. This is why the N6 and N7 are motorways and the N3 and N5 get bypasses - the volume isn't there to support building a motorway. (There are exceptions to this, Dundalk carries 12,000 but is strategic and political because of the link with Belfast.)

Interesting, you may have a point about HGVs. The percentage of HGV traffic is quite high at the west end of the N5. Unfortunately the NRA have no traffic counters on the N6 west of Athlone.

N5 Between Tulsk and Frenchpark, Frenchpark
    4,528 (10.7% HGV)

Thanks for that.

Regardless of stats though the N5 Between Tulsk and Strokestown should be upgraded due to the sheer danger of the road above all else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 almccabe

Will the bypass be open Friday morning?

Advertisement