Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

MYOB wrote: »
    Can't see what you mean myself. However, if that is the case there's a few possibilities - land acquisition costs (road goes all the way through one parcel of land), ground issues, and also dead straight single-carriageway roads are considered a bad idea particularly if there are overbridges - they're believed to cause people to consider themselves to be on motorways.

I think he may have meant the 0167 pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

In the picture .167 the curve is greatly over emphasised by the zoom of the camera. Its slightly less than 1km between the camera point and the river bridge approx. in the middle of the picture. It is then almost another 1km between the river bridge and R293 interchange which is the structure you can barely see at the top of the picture. What looks like tight radius bends in this picture are almost straight on the ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

True, basically if you drove the section in question you wouldn't really be aware of much in the way of bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Ascii wrote: »
    5 overbridges and 1 river bridge = six structures in total
    Thanks for this. I counted 9 intersections - one with the river, one with the regional road, and 7 with local roads.

6 structures means three remain. I suppose there might be one or two at grade junctions (like you have on the Charlestown bypass, which was also built by Wills) and one or two cul de sacs created?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

In the picture .167 the curve is greatly over emphasised by the zoom of the camera. Its slightly less than 1km between the camera point and the river bridge approx. in the middle of the picture. It is then almost another 1km between the river bridge and R293 interchange which is the structure you can barely see at the top of the picture. What looks like tight radius bends in this picture are almost straight on the ground.
    Thanks I did mean .167 and thanks for the clarification of the distances, it just appeared odd when I looked at it first. I dought I'll get a chance to drive it any time soon (nothing to do with its completion date)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

will the road be for for September. I think it was originally supose to be December 2014, but Wills have a habit usually finishing a bit early

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sonnyblack

lotusm wrote: »
    will the road be for for September. I think it was originally supose to be December 2014, but Wills have a habit usually finishing a bit early

Thinking about the All Ireland final are you?

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Thinking about the All Ireland final are you?

For sure,, hate taking the Sligo route:D...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Not programmed until Nov 2014 but we'll see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'd say it's more than likely it'll be finish ahead of schedule. Considering amount of tarmac being put already (in terms of levels difference - tarmac vs. kerbs) road's surface is done. But I'm open to corrections. :o

299084.jpg

==================

My apologies for just only one location this time.

Pictures shot from R293 bridge, view to the East:

299085.jpg

and close-up:

299086.jpg

view to the west:

299087.jpg

and close-up:

299088.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Signs in Supervalu yesterday - Bypass the bypass. Not bloody likely.

Endas done well for himself now, handy access to Dublin and Galway by the time his term ends.

Signs in Supervalu yesterday - Bypass the bypass. Not bloody likely.

Endas done well for himself now, handy access to Dublin and Galway by the time his term ends.
    still another 30Km of brutal road from Ballaghade​rreen to Strokestown ... you must mean after the second term as Taoiseach :D

lotusm wrote: »
    still another 30Km of brutal road from Ballaghade​rreen to Strokestown ... you must mean after the second term as Taoiseach :D
    The mayo boys are like stealth bombers. Working away quietly and next thing the entire N5 will be upgraded

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

sonnyblack wrote: »
    The mayo boys are like stealth bombers. Working away quietly and next thing the entire N5 will be upgraded

Suuush, we will be sussed out yet ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

joujoujou wrote: »
    <snip>
    299086.jpg

299088.jpg</snip>

What's clearly evident from these images is the extra width under/over the bridges. I guess provision is being made for an upgrade to at least Type 2 Dual in the future. If so, that's good forward planning IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Will I be able to overtake (safely)?

Middle Man wrote: »
    What's clearly evident from these images is the extra width under/over the bridges. I guess provision is being made for an upgrade to at least Type 2 Dual in the future. If so, that's good forward planning IMO.
    Good God, Just how long will Enda be in power?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Middle Man wrote: »
    I doubt. For me it looks like them pylons would be too close to a road in case of upgrade to type 2 dual - AFAIK there must be a safe distance left between a road and pylons to reduce possibility of crash.

And I hope I'm wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

joujoujou wrote: »
    I doubt. For me it looks like them pylons would be too close to a road in case of upgrade to type 2 dual - AFAIK there must be a safe distance left between a road and pylons to reduce possibility of crash.

They can be moved, as has been done for the M11 & M17/18 schemes.

Signs in Supervalu yesterday - Bypass the bypass.
    I don't follow that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

spacetweek wrote: »
    I don't follow that?

Like the ones in Moate before the M6 opened - we look forward to seeing you again or something similar.

spacetweek wrote: »
    I don't follow that?

They want people to come into the town to shop there instead of avoiding it. Hence "Bypass the bypass".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

They want people to come into the town to shop there instead of avoiding it. Hence "Bypass the bypass".

Surely only locals shop there anyway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think it's a real shame this scheme wasn't made into 2&2. Very short sighted in my opinion. Would it really have cost much more? I doubt it. The pay offs in safety would be huge as well as the obvious efficiencies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Fuel and food service business will move in part to stations that remain online. That's about it really.

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Tesco in Swinford (for examle) becomes a slightly more attractive proposition for "big shops" from people living immediately east of the bypass. I guess thats what they fear.

road_high wrote: »
    I think it's a real shame this scheme wasn't made into 2&2. Very short sighted in my opinion. Would it really have cost much more? I doubt it. The pay offs in safety would be huge as well as the obvious efficiencies.
    Capital cost? Maybe not.
    Maintenance? A lot more over the long term. More work to resurface, sweep, grit.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Like the ones in Moate before the M6 opened - we look forward to seeing you again or something similar.
    I don't think that I have ever driven through Moate since the motorway opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

I don't think that I have ever driven through Moate since the motorway opened.
    I have - and I was surprised at how busy it was. I thought it'd be deserted.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    I have - and I was surprised at how busy it was. I thought it'd be deserted.
    that's why it was always such a nightmare to get through, all the local traffic plus the passing traffic was too much for the road to take.

Cars would be constantly joining and leaving the queue while driving through.

Advertisement