Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

road_high wrote: »
    Why didn't they amke this 2+2? I thought all National Primaries were heading that way these days. Surely wouldn't have cost a whole lot more really.

It costs enough more than the narrower profile S2 - its extremely close in cost to the old wide profile. Traffic figures must not have justified it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wonder have they passing out lanes?
    Travelled from Cork city last Aug there to Mayo, was a great number of passing out lanes, made life a lot easier.
    Though I am sure if they were on that N5 road everyone would still hog the right lane :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

MYOB wrote: »
    It costs enough more than the narrower profile S2 - its extremely close in cost to the old wide profile. Traffic figures must not have justified it.

A lot of the stretches of the inter-urbans did not justify motorway but was certainly the right decision to make them all M-way.
    I think 2+2 should be the minimum standard on all N Primaries like this now, the pay offs in safety and efficiency would be huge for not much more money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

road_high wrote: »
    I think 2+2 should be the minimum standard on all N Primaries like this now, the pay offs in safety and efficiency would be huge for not much more money.
    I still think you have to consider the higher maintenance costs of 2+2 in the long run compared to singler.
    There mightn't be much difference in build cost between WSC and 2+2 but 2+2 is more work to resurface, hedge trim, maintain the safety barrier etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

spacetweek wrote: »
    I still think you have to consider the higher maintenance costs of 2+2 in the long run compared to singler.
    There mightn't be much difference in build cost between WSC and 2+2 but 2+2 is more work to resurface, hedge trim, maintain the safety barrier etc.

Build it once & build it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Build it once & build it right

I think 2+2 should be standard on routes like this

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

I know it's nothing to do with the bypass, but if true...... it's about time!

http://www.shannonside.ie/news/e1m-approved-for-impact-studies-on-n5-around-tulsk/

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sonnyblack

bijou wrote: »
    I know it's nothing to do with the bypass, but if true...... it's about time!

http://www.shannonside.ie/news/e1m-approved-for-impact-studies-on-n5-around-tulsk/

Enda and Ring upgrading the route to Mayo by stealth. Where is the money coming from? Nothing for N20 since 2001.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

1m quid will hardly pay for the tea and sandwiches for them!!! It wouldn't do a lot I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Given the minefield that is Cruachan Ai it's no wonder they have to spend so much doing impact study. Particulary as the site is earmarked as potential UNESCO world heritage site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I thought an upgrade of the N5 through there had pretty much been ruled out ages ago due to the impossibility of avoiding damage to archaeological sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

spacetweek wrote: »
    I thought an upgrade of the N5 through there had pretty much been ruled out ages ago due to the impossibility of avoiding damage to archaeological sites.

Check out the maps that Lotusm posted in this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81560600&postcount=90

The proposed route selection would give the site a wide berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Enda and Ring upgrading the route to Mayo by stealth.

It's probably only so he can spend the least time possible in or passing through Roscommon!!!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

bijou wrote: »
    It's probably only so he can spend the least time possible in or passing through Roscommon!!!!! :D:D

There is a downside to that, it's easier for ming to get over to annoy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The new N5 is black now. ;)

The brigde on R293 is (nearly) finished - at least traffic goes on it already. :D

Will do my best to shoot some photos, hopefully Monday or Tuesday if weather let me go out of my house. :o

Unregistered Users

Well, it looked black while travelled nearby, not so good when walked around here and there. :o

R293 view from the bridge.

To the East:

286703.jpg

To the West (you can see old R293 going across):

286704.jpg

And the bridge itself:

286705.jpg

As before, went from here to the west, so next place.

View to the East (from another bridge):

286706.jpg

And bridge itself:

286708.jpg

Unregistered Users

Same place, to the West:

286710.jpg

And close-up:

286711.jpg

Another place, nothing really to see here. ;)

To the East:

286712.jpg

To the West:

286713.jpg

Unregistered Users

Another spot, view to the East:

286714.jpg

Bridge is here as well:

286715.jpg

Going further West.

View to the East:

286716.jpg

And West:

286717.jpg

Old N5 will meet new one somewhere here:

286718.jpg

200m along the road:

286719.jpg

I'm very sorry I didn't go East of Ballaghaderreen this time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭macker16

here is a few more to the east

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

It still looks really narrow to me!

• Advertisement

It still looks really narrow to me!

I thought the same but it not when your on it

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tonytoc11

Are they nearly finished laying the CBM layer on the mainline?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

joujoujou wrote: »
    R293 view from the bridge ... View to the East (from another bridge)
    I was wondering how many bridges were on the scheme, so I went onto OpenStreetMap and counted 9 possible bridges :eek: Could that be right? One over the R293 (which I see is going to be a GSJ), one over the River Lung, and 7 over local roads? No wonder its' a two-year project.

Unregistered Users

It is possible. But I have no information how's a bypass going east of R293, so open to corrections.

I'd say at most 4 bridges west of R293 (including R293). :)

street lights going up on main bridge

just a few pictures

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

From those pics it looks like good progress is being made. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

5 overbridges and 1 river bridge = six structures in total

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

In pic SAM_0169.jgp there appears to be two back to back bends in the road, why was this not straight?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

tharlear wrote: »
    In pic SAM_0169.jgp there appears to be two back to back bends in the road, why was this not straight?

Can't see what you mean myself. However, if that is the case there's a few possibilities - land acquisition costs (road goes all the way through one parcel of land), ground issues, and also dead straight single-carriageway roads are considered a bad idea particularly if there are overbridges - they're believed to cause people to consider themselves to be on motorways.

Advertisement