Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Religion of Aliens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

KeithAFC wrote: »
    But surely that is the mission for science? Surely the main objective is to find out how the universe was created?

Of course! Science has always attempted to find answers to the mysteries of the universe, that's its purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Standman wrote: »
    The universe actually appears to be expanding at an accelerating rate. The big crunch is one possible scenario but the evidence doesn't back it up as of yet.

And another is The Big Rip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_big_rip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Bottom line for me is that i would rather subscribe to theories of science, and rgularly change my 'belief' on how everything started and if there is life out there on a continuous basis, rather than adopt a belief that is based around blind faith and defend my religous ideals regardless of what evidence or contradictions i come across.

Accepting ever changing scientific learning /= religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Of course! Science has always attempted to find answers to the mysteries of the universe, that's its purpose.
    Will we ever get that one answer though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

The ultimate mysteries of the universe are unknowable to the human mind.

Scientists think that one day they'll be able to explain everything but it won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

The voice of God states in Book 1 that words are not the truth, and thus readers must ultimately take what is being said and consult their own feelings to determine their own truth {CwG1 page 4.} The voice says this is true of any other book or words we come across. Though the books bear the title Conversations with God and the author introduces the first book by stating he is "taking dictation" from God, the voice of God in the trilogy explains that the dialogue is God speaking to everyone all the time. The question is not to whom does God talk, but who listens. This is clarified by the statement that God can communicate with you in the next song you hear, the next sunset you experience, the next time you hear laughter, the next movie that really moves you, the next breeze that caresses your ear, the next conversation you overhear. "All these devices are mine. All these avenues are open to me. I will speak to you if you invite me." {CwG1 page 58.}

At the deepest level consciousness is being aware of the balance between mind, body and soul(spirit) and that there is only one "voice" regardless whether it is thought to belong to God, or an individual, or imagination. This leads to a statement of the Divine Dichotomy: that two apparently contradictory truths can exist, neither making the other untrue. This is possible only in the realm of the relative, because, as was stated above, in the absolute all things are one thing, and there is nothing else.
    sometimes a little imagination isn't a bad thing

Do we ever need to know that answer?.Cant imagine they will come back and say a man with a big white beard started it all though.

Do we ever need to know that answer?.Cant imagine they will come back and say a man with a big white beard started it all though.
    Well that is what Karl Pilkington says lol.

If we do I highly doubt it will be in our lifetime. The answer could be beyond our comprehension for all we know, the equivalent of trying to teach advanced mathematics to a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Randomer.

God is an Alien. :pac:
    Anyone who claims to be certain there is no God is just as wrong as anyone who claims they're certain there is one.

Not really. Depends on if you are talking about general idea of a "God" or "Gods" or if you mean the God that is depicted in man made religions.

Because the character that is God in man made religions is as real as Harry Potter & we can be certain that that character does not exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I realise that there are great differences between belief in God & belief in aliens, but there are also still similarities, one of them being that it's still just a belief without any proof whatsoever.

There is already a basis for believing in life elsewhere in the universe. There is no basis for belief in a god

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

pokertalk wrote: »
    i have dibbs on 7 of 9 btw

7 of 9 was human :-)

mickrock wrote: »
    The ultimate mysteries of the universe are unknowable to the human mind.

Scientists think that one day they'll be able to explain everything but it won't happen.

I've never heard any scientist make that statement. In fact I usually find them to be quite humble. The ultimate mysteries of the universe may very well be unknowable but it doesn't mean we should stop exploring and learning. I find physics and cosmology to be just mind boggling, really gives me a sense of wonder about the universe and how amazing it is that we actually exist and can comprehend these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Randomer. wrote: »
    Not really. Depends on if you are talking about general idea of a "God" or "Gods" or if you mean the God that is depicted in man made religions.

Yes, really.

The probability may be ridiculously small, maybe even infinitesimally so, but that's still a probability. You can't be 100% certain, only 99.9 recurring :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I do not believe some dude with a beard exists and he made the Universe.

Why a dude with a beard?.....Maybe it's just a hot chick with a Brazilian.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Randomer.

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    Yes, really.

The probability may be ridiculously small, maybe even infinitesimally so, but that's still a probability. You can't be 100% certain, only 99.9 recurring :P

Then you are also arguing that Harry Potter and every other fictional character that has been made by mankind has a 00.1% chance of being real people.

Then you are also arguing that Harry Potter and every other fictional character that has been made by mankind has a 00.1% chance of being real people.
    Perhaps Harry Potter is real? If there is so many planets in the universe, who knows what is going on. Who knows what is going on right now on some planet far away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

They said recurring!

Kanoe wrote: »
    sometimes a little imagination isn't a bad thing

Only sometimes, more times it's the worst thing ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Guill wrote: »
    Only sometimes, more times it's the worst thing ever
    yes, yes it can be

• Advertisement

Nothing is impossible, some things are more improbable than others.

Harry Potter had more super powers than Jeasus (son of God Jeasus), therefore it is more probable that Harry exists.

Kanoe wrote: »
    yes, yes it can be

Point proven, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

How did life, human or alien, start off in the first place and then evolve?

It's inconceivable that it's by random chance. Intelligent design is the more plausible explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Why a dude with a beard?.....Maybe it's just a hot chick with a Brazilian.

If you can find me a religion that worships a hot chick with a smooth vag then you might just convert me.

It's inconceivable that it's by random chance. Intelligent design is the more plausible explanation.

Actually, it's not more plausible. Intelligent Design leads to a constant implication that the intelligent creator needed to be intelligently created and to a logical mind a few iterations of said cycle should just lead to the conclusion that the intelligent design concept is flawed at it's very root.

"Random chance" as you put it is far more logical, but it was never random and it was never chance. The very fact that you exist implies a degree of inevitability about your existence. You happened because you had to had to happen. Not because something made you happen.

They very fact of the universe existing led to a huge chain reaction of events that eventually led to you being born, growing up and making that post, the occurrence which created the universe also defined it's rules and it's laws and all those led to human development on a small planet near a star.

It's all just maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I would hardly say it's 'more' plausible than random chance. What is your basis for such an assumption other than blind faith? It's not a criticism, just an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If you can find me a religion that worships a hot chick with a smooth vag then you might just convert me.

Little Buddha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Inconceivable for you maybe, but that just says a whole lot about you and nothing at all about abiogenesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

fail.

Who created the Intelligent design so.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This is all a bit like the chicken and the egg question.

Advertisement