Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Religion of Aliens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

I'm still not convinced. I mean, "statistical probability" really isn't a very convincing argument.

its scientifically possible which is as close as its going to get without me knocking around to your gaff with ALF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about what sort of religion aliens would have. I an disappoint.

If there is intelligent life out there- they'll be atheist tbf

i have dibbs on 7 of 9 btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

7Sins wrote: »
    There's also the possibility of life in the 4th, 5th, 6th etc dimensions, but those of course are so incomprehensible to us that we can't even fathom their existence in our wildest dreams...but Stephen Hawking can :)

Stephen Hawking can do a lot of things.

But he can't wipe his own arse. I know who I'd rather be.

ye me too .id rather be stephen hawlking;)

• Advertisement

i rather have his brain power. some numpty can wipe me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It strikes me as quite odd that some are absolutely certain that there is no God, but seem to be very open to the fact (or totally believe that) aliens exist.

I mean there is no proof that either exist. The retort that there "must be more intelligent life" is as convincing to me as "there must be a God".

So is the belief in aliens just like a religion for the science fiction enthusiasts or is there more to it than that?

No.

Belief in aliens is based on the fact that we a tiny planet that exists in the infinity of space and the chances are that there is more life out there.

Belief in God is that there is life out there that created everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You'd really wonder about our species' suicidal and self-destructive tendencies though and how they are compatible with intelligence.

We put vast resources into building devices that could destroy all life on Earth i.e. Nuclear Weapons.

We spend the rest of our time gambling on ridiculous things (stock markets), fighting over utter nonsense and ensuring half of our population lives in dire circumstances.

So, I'm not entirely sure that you could define our lot as all that intelligent.

We can discuss things abstractly, but we're a bit loopers!

this is my impression of stephen hawlking ...... hello im stephrn hawlking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Fair enough. But that doesn't negate the possibility that if life were discovered on another planet, that the life could be itself a God of sorts.

Yeah. I always liked that line as well. I wouldn't doubt the chance of something existing which , when compared to me, is a God, as i am effectively a god when compared to a paramecium.

However, the chance of that thing actually being a God as described by any of the hundred of religions that have existed during the course of human history would be pretty much slim to none.

Context is really the key here.

We can either discuss the probability of a highly complex and developed organism existing that might, just might, be close to Deity status when compared with the abilities of a human or we can talk about the conscious bringing into existence of everything that ever was and every will be.

I would be willing, and literally have, bet the possibility of eternal suffering on the later not being the case.
    Belief in aliens is based on the fact that we a tiny planet that exists in the infinity of space and the chances are that there is more life out there.

Exactly. Even then, it's not "believe" in aliens, it's acquiescence to the statistical likelihood of them having occurred as we have occurred.

If you want prove of life just hold your hand in front of your face. Tying that in to some kind of desire to feel special and created instead of embracing the basic randomness of your existence is a character flaw in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    You'd really wonder about our species' suicidal and self-destructive tendencies though and how they are compatible with intelligence.

We put vast resources into building devices that could destroy all life on Earth i.e. Nuclear Weapons.

We spend the rest of our time gambling on ridiculous things (stock markets), fighting over utter nonsense and ensuring half of our population lives in dire circumstances.

So, I'm not entirely sure that you could define our lot as all that intelligent.

+1million

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Depends on what you mean by God. I'm certain that there is no Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Shinto, Buddhist, Norse, Roman or Greek Gods. Just the same as I'm certain there's no Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus or Boogieman.

What,who will deliver the toys I asked for so.

No.

Belief in God is that there is life out there that created everything else.

I realise that there are great differences between belief in God & belief in aliens, but there are also still similarities, one of them being that it's still just a belief without any proof whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Are you saying Kirk doesn't have a cock?

Jesus man, you're bordering on the sacreligious here.

Took a screenshot of this a few years back. Knew it would come in handy.
    kirkscock.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I realise that there are great differences between belief in God & belief in aliens, but there are also still similarities, one of them being that it's still just a belief without any proof whatsoever.

Look up scientific proof, it is different to what you think of as "proof" and is a hell of a lot better than blind faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Solair wrote: »

This is true.

There is no evidence that intelligence adds to survivability.

i think most religions are just chinese whispers of the same thing .if ya look into it their stories are simular in ways

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

The belief in the latter based on reasoning, statistics and logic (note: this is not the same as saying there definitely is alien life out there, of course we can't know that), the former based on nothing in particular that I can figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

This is true.

There is no evidence that intelligence adds to survivability.

Precisely, if anything it diminishes it as there appears to be a direct correlation between human's concept of advancement and a removal of oneself from the actual environment in which we live and a lessening of the prevalence of the skills needed to survive in it.

We got smart enough to get soft.

Look up scientific proof, it is different to what you think of as "proof" and is a hell of a lot better than blind faith.

No. I don't respond well to orders - especially when they come from someone trying to be condescending.

• Advertisement

No. I don't respond well to orders - especially when they come from someone trying to be condescending.

I am not being condescending.

You are weighing up faith with scientific proof and saying there is no "proof", so you are clearly missing what scientific proof is.

Qoute - "evolution is only a theory you know!"

I am not being condescending.

You are weighing up faith with scientific proof and saying there is no "proof", so you are clearly missing what scientific proof is.

Well, then explain it to me - don't tell me to go "look it up".

If I wanted to do that, I'd be having a debate with Google, which wouldn't be much fun.

I am not an expert nor do I feel like re-hashing what is freely available on the internet.

Also others have stated that we do not say there is definitely aliens only it is likely, and given our current understanding a lot more likely than there being a god/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Starbelgrade, do you believe in god?

If you look at the Big Bang, people say it came from nothing. But how does something so big come from nothing. What was the process which led up to the Big bang?

KeithAFC wrote: »
    But how does something so big come from nothing.

What is the process that lead to the creation of god/s? Who made the watchmaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Billions and billions and billions of stars and even more planets rotating around them and there's no other life in the universe? I highly doubt that

In 1 Galaxy - Andromeda,there are
    1 TRILLION STARS.Imagine that,although dont.It wouldnt do your head good.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Starbelgrade, do you believe in god?

I don't believe in God or aliens, nor do I deny the possibilty of either, though I do think it's highly less likely that there's a God than there is life somewhere in the galaxy.

And if there is, James T.Kirk better be among them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

What is the process that lead to the creation of god/s? Who made the watchmaker?
    Exactly. So if there is a god, how did god come about? What was the process which led to the Big Bang? And if there was a process, how did that process start? And who created the process which led to the process to get the Big Bang?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I'm still not convinced. I mean, "statistical probability" really isn't a very convincing argument.

"Statistical probability" is a maths term, it doesn't mean quite the same in this context as it does in the bookies. It is only a "probability" because it has not been proven, that probability is so great that in everyday English you can refer to it as a certainty.

This is the same argument employed by atheists with regard religion, sure I can't prove your god doesn't exist, but the probability it does is so, so incredibly small, even beyond comprehension in how truly minuscule it is, that it is in effect zero.

So when you look at it logically an atheist should be of the opinion that aliens exist, if not they are rubbishing the only true logic behind their absolute position on religion.

Advertisement